As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Roguelikes for beginners

NexusSixNexusSix Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Games and Technology
Disclaimer: I have zero experience with Roguelikes and I haven't done any PC gaming since the late 90s. On a scale of 1 to 100, my current PC skills are probably... 5. But I did spend well over 15 years playing P&P/tabletop RPGs, mainly as a Dungeon Master, so I know the background and basics. So, yeah, I'm mostly coming from a complete n00b angle with all of this.

Any who...

I was reading through the Incursion thread and found it really interesting. I love my console gaming, but I'm always pining for the good old days of tossing some d20s and digging through the DMs Guide looking for obscure rules and references. It's just that... I don't have the time for D&D these days and a console allows me to sit down for quick, no-fuss no-muss gaming.

The idea of foresaking graphics in order to come up with some deep RPG gameplay is something I find very appealing, but I'm not sure where to start. I checked the Wiki page on Roguelikes to get a general idea of what they are and how they work, and it sounds like it would be a nice change of pace from my 360 graphics whore gaming.

So what would y'all recommend? Here's what I'm looking for:

* I pulled up the ToME site, and it looked interesting--I'm a Tolkien fan and just finished up The Children of Hurin, so trying to hunt down and destroy Morgoth sounds cool. But I know that doesn't necessarily mean ToME is a good one to start with.

* I like hack-n-slash as much as the next guy, but a straight-up dungeon crawler isn't something I find appealing. Yeah, combat is fun and all, but I'd really like to find something that offers a good story. I prefer a world where I can get into some history, mythology and a good plot--and those things are what drive me to explore the dungeons. I love exploring towns, interacting with NPCs, wilderness hikes, and twisting plotlines and intrigue--most of the time, I have more fun with that stuff than dungeon crawling. Any recommendations on this?

* Are there any fees, or are all Roguelikes free?

* I was pretty good with messing around with PCs back in the early/mid 90s to optimize my games, but these days I don't really know that much. Do you have to fuss around with DLing updates, running debugs, or mess around with anything else? I'm looking for something simple--click and play. I love complex rules for the gameplay itself, but having to mess around with PCs is a drag for me.

Let's get us some edumacation on Roguelikes--have at it with recommendations, suggestions, or just some kewl Rogulikes stories. :D

REASON - Version 1.0B7 Gatling type 3 mm hypervelocity railgun system
Ng Security Industries, Inc.
PRERELEASE VERSION-NOT FOR FIELD USE - DO NOT TEST IN A POPULATED AREA
-ULTIMA RATIO REGUM-
NexusSix on

• Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    There are some console/handheld rougelikes that are more forgiving then their PC counterparts.

Aruzre Dreams, Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon, Chocobo's Dungeon, Izuna. They're good for beginners to the genre.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Pata wrote: »
    There are some console/handheld rougelikes that are more forgiving then their PC counterparts.

Aruzre Dreams, Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon, Chocobo's Dungeon, Izuna. They're good for beginners to the genre.

Not really my cup of tea, but thanks.

NexusSix on
    -ULTIMA RATIO REGUM-
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    NexusSix wrote: »
    * I like hack-n-slash as much as the next guy, but a straight-up dungeon crawler isn't something I find appealing. Yeah, combat is fun and all, but I'd really like to find something that offers a good story. I prefer a world where I can get into some history, mythology and a good plot--and those things are what drive me to explore the dungeons. I love exploring towns, interacting with NPCs, wilderness hikes, and twisting plotlines and intrigue--most of the time, I have more fun with that stuff than dungeon crawling. Any recommendations on this?

Oh, also, I can't think of any Rougelike that has these sorts of things. Most rougelkes are dungeon crawls for the sake of dungeon crawls.

Pata on
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Try Powder. I've been playing this non stop on the DS. I'm a fan of really simple graphics instead of ascii characters. It's insane how much fun I've been having with this little roguelike over some of the commercial games I've purchased. I basically stopped playing Etrian Oddessy for this game.

solsovly on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'd go with ADOM, it kind of has a story and quests and things although you'll be hard pressed to find anything too deep in this kind of game. It's all about getting deeper down that dungeon until you die in a new and painful manner.
    Pata wrote: »
    rouge rouge rouge rouge
    face_rouge_img.jpg

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    It makes my face pretty.

Pata on
  • Options
    Frosted ButtsFrosted Butts Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Zangband is pretty fun and easy.

Frosted Butts on
    lion1si5.jpg
  • Options
    beta.lyraebeta.lyrae Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Have you considered MUDing?

beta.lyrae on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Castle of the Winds might be a good idea as a first roguelike, especially since it has graphics and you can save at will. The plot is mostly an excuse for dungeon crawling, but it is there. The first part was always free, and the second might be as well now.

jothki on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Castle of the Winds! In my mind the perfect beginner's RL. (download link at the bottom of that page, was once shareware but is now totally free)

Completely Windows-based, using a mouse for equipment management and such. Icon graphics so you don't have to dive into undecipherable ASCII. A save and load anywhere system which makes it a very easy introduction before you play the standard "one life to live" games.

It actually has a semblance of a story too, with periodic events pertaining to your character.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    beta.lyrae wrote: »

That sounds like it could be up my alley. Have you played any? I'll look into Castle of the Winds too. Thanks.

NexusSix on
    -ULTIMA RATIO REGUM-
  • Options
    beta.lyraebeta.lyrae Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    beta.lyrae wrote: »

That sounds like it could be up my alley. Have you played any? I'll look into Castle of the Winds too. Thanks.

I just recently started to get back into it. Checkout Achaea and Lusternia. Achaea is older than dirt, and as such most of the history has already been written. People have described it as being in the "happily ever after" mode. I tried it first, but the other day tried Lusternia and I think it's *way* more interesting. Be warned though, you're expected to be in character at almost all times. Also, you wouldn't just be learning the MUD, you'd also have to learn a MUD client (like zMUD). It might be a bit more of an undertaking than what you're looking for.

Edit: Achaea and Lusternia have their own mud client that you can use first (so you don't need zMud). Just click the Play Now button.

beta.lyrae on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I used to play the MUD Ages of Despair a lot, before there was like, a butt ton of drama between the admins and some of the players. I have 2 half finished areas sitting on my computer too cause I was a wizard under this name. That was about the only MUD I could stand to play for more than 15 minutes. I ended up wasting a good two years of my life. A friend from high school met his wife there thanks to me. Creepy.

If you want another pc roguelike, Ragnarok is pretty fun (not to be confused with the korean MMO). It has 6 quests revolving around retrieving things for the gods so they can 'win' Ragnarok. Lots of different areas to explore and ways to die, even at your most powerful. My favorite being accidently transforming into a fire giant and getting choked to death by my gorget. It's probably the next step up in difficulty from Castle of the Winds, which I will third as a great beginner RL.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cjeriscjeris Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Both Nethack and Crawl have public telnet servers and active IRC communities. Neither has more than epsilon in the way of story, but it's much more fun when you can watch other people die, or cheer them when they win, or ask others in the channel to watch your game and give you advice.

irc.freenode.org:#nethack; telnet nethack.alt.org
    irc.freenode.org:##crawl; telnet crawl.akrasiac.org

Crawl is my favorite roguelike by a long shot, but it is by far the most difficult roguelike I know in the early game. The infant mortality rate (death before level 3) is close to 100% at first, and can be over half even for experienced players.

cjeris on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    AchtungBabyAchtungBaby Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I think you should try IVAN, it was my first roguelike, and even if its hard, its really easy to get the hang of things.

Google is down to me right now, so I cant provide you a link, but it should be easy to find and download.

AchtungBaby on
    Animal Crossing: 2534-9952-2348 Asgard, Hugo

Pokemon Pearl: 2577-9731-8070

Contact - 0043 9563 6121
  • Options
    SpackleSpackle Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Careful with MUDs! They can get very very addicting fast. You're in this huge world, with other very devoted RP players, you'll be amazed how long you'll read text into the night!

Some of my best gaming memories come from a MUD I played pretty heavily. Join a guild as a monk, had to do training to earn belts, real emotional highs and lows, it was a blast! Even fishing was fun! I couldn't believe how connected I felt to the guild and my character. I recall getting very upset for failing a belt test and getting myself sloshed. I worked my way down an alley into a darker corner and drank. The whole guild(were talkin like 10 people, nothing huge) came out looking for me. It was pretty cool feeling.

http://www.achaea.com/main.html

There wasn't much of a story I was aware of, mostly RPing.

Spackle on
    Taco Bell does win the franchise war according to the tome of knowledge that is Demolition Man. However, I've watched Demolition Man more then a few times and never once did I see WoW. In conclusion Taco Bell has more lasting power then WoW.
    D&D Metal Thread: HERE
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm mostly just tagging this thread. I need to download Castle of the Winds now that it's wholly free, and that Ragnarok game sounds enthralling as well. I need to install Windows first I guess.

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    forbis316forbis316 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Another vote for Castle of the Winds. So much fun.

forbis316 on
  • Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    You Only Live Once:
    http://www.zincland.com/7drl/liveonce/
    Written in 7 days, may not be a RPG, completable within a day or two. Very good.

Edit: Also, ToME does have a bit more story than most roguelikes, but that's not saying much. Really, if you're looking into roguelikes for story, prepare to be disappointed a lot.

evilmrhenry on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I've been waiting to post a link to this. It's perfect for a Rogue-Like newbie:

http://koti.mbnet.fi/frozend/

Few commands, straight forward gameplay. It even has something unique to bring to the table: heat. You can die from being too cold, so it's important to wear warm clothing and find other ways to avoid becoming a block of ice.

If the lack of graphics phases you a bit, you might try Iter Vehemens Ad Necem ("The Violent Road to Death"). It's not easy, it's actually quite difficult, but having a graphical interface makes things so much easier.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Do not play ADOM for your first. Its extremely complex and punishingly hard. Nethack is also extremely hard but more zany and fun oriented. It's short enough you don't care that much when you choke on a biscuit and die.

Tome is probably the best of the "vanilla" roguelikes. It;s very straightforward dungeon crawls with a Tolkien setting but not much story. It lacks the zaniness of more complicated roguelikes like Nethack and ADOM but also is more predictable and less likely to kill you in a retarded fashion. My biggest gripe about i is there's not not much variation between races and classes. Also it's extremely long compared to something like Nethack where you can finish the game in a few sittings

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    CasketCasket __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    Are there any roguelikes with unique character creation processes? Something that doesn't involve just picking a bunch of skills and stats that you may know nothing about or how important they are? Maybe have everything be 0 at first and only the stuff you use goes up?

Casket on
    casketiisigih1.png
  • Options
    cfgausscfgauss Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    God damnit, I have work to do, and now I'm going to be playing castle of the winds again!

cfgauss on
    The hero and protagonist, whose story the book follows, is the aptly-named Hiro Protagonist: "Last of the freelance hackers and Greatest sword fighter in the world." When Hiro loses his job as a pizza delivery driver for the Mafia, he meets a streetwise young girl nicknamed Y.T. (short for Yours Truly), who works as a skateboard "Kourier", and they decide to become partners in the intelligence business.
  • Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Casket wrote: »
    Are there any roguelikes with unique character creation processes? Something that doesn't involve just picking a bunch of skills and stats that you may know nothing about or how important they are? Maybe have everything be 0 at first and only the stuff you use goes up?

SAngband works kinda like that, though a couple of skills are kinda vague.

SAngband + ZAngband's overworld = my ideal roguelike. Barring a complete Dwarf Fortress, that is.

EDIT: wait, not SAngband, that's the crafting one. Shit, can't remember the name of it now...

LeumasWhite on
    QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    yotesyotes Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

IVAN works kind of like that, for example carrying lots of stuff will slowly raise your strength, running a lot will help your vitality, etc. You can also modify your arms and legs through various means to get your strength up to very high levels.

Too bad it's not very good as a game, mostly it's just torture.

yotes on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    yotes wrote: »

IVAN works kind of like that, for example carrying lots of stuff will slowly raise your strength, running a lot will help your vitality, etc. You can also modify your arms and legs through various means to get your strength up to very high levels.

Too bad it's not very good as a game, mostly it's just torture.

You could play Morrowind, with the difficulty cranked up.

Gosh, I'm smart.

Mahnmut on
  • Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Easy is a bit of an overstatement for zangband. It's likely going to be a death fest for a new player, which is par for the course on roguelikes. Death magic is pretty imbalanced in late game though, if you can get there in the first place.

Savant on
  • Options
    jotjot Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    You should check out Dwarf Fortress.

jot on
  • Options
    Frosted ButtsFrosted Butts Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Savant wrote: »

Easy is a bit of an overstatement for zangband. It's likely going to be a death fest for a new player, which is par for the course on roguelikes. Death magic is pretty imbalanced in late game though, if you can get there in the first place.

I meant easy to grok.

No roguelike should ever be easy.

Frosted Butts on
    lion1si5.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    jot wrote: »

I saw the DF thread in here and glanced over it a bit. Isn't it more of an RPG/RTS/Godgame hybrid? That would be cool with me.

So many options... I'll probably do a bit of research on all of the suggestions over the next weekend or two and try out of of them--I wish I had little more time to dig into all of this. Thanks for all the info, everybody.

NexusSix on
    -ULTIMA RATIO REGUM-
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

I saw the DF thread in here and glanced over it a bit. Isn't it more of an RPG/RTS/Godgame hybrid? That would be cool with me.
    It's like the Sims, except fun and less personal.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

So many options... I'll probably do a bit of research on all of the suggestions over the next weekend or two and try out of of them--I wish I had little more time to dig into all of this. Thanks for all the info, everybody.

It has a Roguelike mode as well. The Fortress mode is pretty hard to get into if you aren't familiar with ASCII DOS interfaces -- I spent about an hour squinting at my screen, trying to figure out what was going on and arguing with the controls before giving up. I plan to try again later. ;)

Mahnmut on
  • Options
    cjeriscjeris Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

This is Crawl, basically. Your race determines your intrinsic aptitude for the various skills and your rates of ability score increase as you gain levels; the only effect of the character class you choose is to determine your starting equipment and starting skill point allocation. Your character's skill growth after that is entirely determined by what you do: you gain XP for killing monsters, and if you have unspent XP, performing an action related to a skill may spend some of it to increase that skill. Whacking something with an axe trains Fighting and Axes, getting swung at trains Dodging (if you have light armor) or Armour (if you have heavy armor), casting a fireball trains Spellcasting, Conjurations, and Fire Magic, ...

cjeris on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Mahnmut wrote: »

It has a Roguelike mode as well. The Fortress mode is pretty hard to get into if you aren't familiar with ASCII DOS interfaces -- I spent about an hour squinting at my screen, trying to figure out what was going on and arguing with the controls before giving up. I plan to try again later. ;)

To provide more detail, when you first start to play the game creates a large randomly generated world, complete with caves and towns and such. In Adventurer mode, you get to poke around in that world, and if you've made any fortresses in Fortress mode, they will still be where you left them, abandoned and filled with monsters.

One of the more interesting aspects of Dwarf Fortress is how combat is handled. There's relatively little abstraction involved with injuries; there are no visible hit points, just color-coded injuries on various parts of bodies. A lot of the time death is the result of slow bleeding from multiple injuries (often with you passing out before hand), though you can also be crushed to a pulp by particularly powerful attack (usually instant death) or be pierced in some critical organ (you usually die in a few turns). Expect to die often, though usually only when death would make sense.

You get to dump a bunch of points into skills when you make a character, but beyond that skill advancement is based on how much you use a skill. There are hidden levels that give you bonuses, but they're just based on how many skill ranks you've gained.

jothki on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

This is hardly a Rogue-Like for a beginner. Hell, it's hard to swallow for those of us who are used to RLs. I'd stay away from DF until you have a decent understanding of Rogue-Like interfaces and commands.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    That and it isn't very good as a roguelike as Adventurer mode is kind of dull at the moment.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

This is hardly a Rogue-Like for a beginner. Hell, it's hard to swallow for those of us who are used to RLs. I'd stay away from DF until you have a decent understanding of Rogue-Like interfaces and commands.

I have to second this statement. DF seems like it's awesome, but I'll probably never know for sure because it's too complicated to me - and I've actually beaten ADOM with a good ending, which is a pretty tough RL. I *want* to love DF because it seems so cool, but it's just so anti-user-friendly

as an aside, I would sorta recommend ADOM. fun gameplay, not much plot though. gets pretty hard. one frustration I'd mention is that it's sort of timed. as the game progresses, your body will get affected by chaotic corruption, which is really hard to reverse, and eventually it will consume you if you take too long... I would like the game better if I had the freedom to take my time, but that admittedly would remove a lot of the challenge...

as for MUDs - you might consider checking out http://www.medievia.com/ - very well-developed MUD, I played it for years. It has some of the good points of MMORPGs without some of the bad points.

DiscoZombie on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I liked Castle of the Winds, as my first RogueLike. Even having tiny and terrible graphics helps make it a bit more understandable to me what is what. Although, I did play through and hit a dead end on the first dungeon. Just no more stairs down. Don't know if that's a bug. And it was on level 2, when wikipedia says the first dungeon is 4 levels.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I liked Castle of the Winds, as my first RogueLike. Even having tiny and terrible graphics helps make it a bit more understandable to me what is what. Although, I did play through and hit a dead end on the first dungeon. Just no more stairs down. Don't know if that's a bug. And it was on level 2, when wikipedia says the first dungeon is 4 levels.

Perhaps you're missing a secret passage somewhere? I don't think the game will let a level be uncompletable.

jothki on