As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New Castlevania for DS - and Xbox360?

FirebrandFirebrand Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Games and Technology
I didn't see a post about this, so:
Today in our interview with Koji Igarashi (which we’ll be posting the full transcript of in the coming days) Konami’s Igarashi divulged to Game Informer Online that he’s already knows which platforms his next Castlevania games will appear on. His next Castlevania project will be for the Nintendo DS and will not be a remake like Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles and will be all new. This game is currently well into development, however, when it will actually shown is unknown. However, if history repeats itself, Castlevania titles are always revealed in North America – and usually at their Spring Gamers Day.
Considering it’s been quite a while since Konami has released a true home-console version of Castlevania, it’s no surprise that after the next DS project Igarashi plans on releasing a new Castlevania title on the Xbox 360, and possibly the PlayStation 3. That is, if PlayStation 3 sales pick up. Also, whether it will be 3D, much like the last few PS2 titles, is also undermined at this time. It looks like Igarashi-san may want to try his hand at finally making a 2D version of Castlevania.
(http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200708/N07.0822.1739.39180.htm)

More DS Castlevania, yes please. Hopefully it changes the gameplay a bit more than usual (I wouldn't mind a more linear game with higher replay value like branching paths), but should it be "yet another" Metroidvania I will still happily play it. Will this be the one where we play as Julius in 1999?

Firebrand on

• MashalotMashalot Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I predict a continuation of the formula.

Also... isn't there an upcoming phone game? A port of Aria of Sorrow... weird.

Mashalot on
  • ScootaScoota Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    You really can't go wrong with the formula. Even if they released a brand new Castlevania on Xbox Live... that would sell like digital hotcakes.

Scoota on
    steam_sig.png
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The jump coming from DoS to PoR was fantastic, so another DS title... Hoping it has that same kind of 'wow' to it. It'd have to step away from the SotN / Metroid style. PoR was rather linear though, now that I think about it.

The next 3D title... Y'know it's coming, but can you expect much from 'em?

Henroid on
  • existexist Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I actually didn't like PoR all that much. I mean, I still liked it, but I didn't even bother finishing it, where in DoS I got all the souls, max level, and nearly every max synth weapon.

exist on
    UmPiq.png
  • DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    For the love of god and all that is holy, please let this new DS Castlevania be a new Castlevania. There is a limit to the number of times I can fight the same bosses and enemies. It's been going on for four games now.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Dusda wrote: »
    For the love of god and all that is holy, please let this new DS Castlevania be a new Castlevania. There is a limit to the number of times I can fight the same bosses and enemies. It's been going on for four games now.

Going back to the original format would be good. 2D, stage by stage, platforming, fall to the bottom of the screen and you die... That wouldn't hurt.

While I've heard it plenty of times before, I simply don't get why people didn't like PoR. The soul collection thing going on with Soma saw its time. I mean, getting sub-weapons and spells is the same concept I suppose.

I maxed out everything I could in DoS too exist, but I was far more fanatic about doing the same in PoR. Only thing I haven't done in it is beating the game on a new file on hard mode with the level 1 cap. It's way too fucking hard not having gear to help out.

Henroid on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    exist wrote: »
    I actually didn't like PoR all that much. I mean, I still liked it, but I didn't even bother finishing it, where in DoS I got all the souls, max level, and nearly every max synth weapon.

Inverse for me. I thought DoS was sotra crappy. I loved PoR and maxed everything out. I still haven't gotten the good/true ending in DoS. Maybe someday I will, but I hardly care at this point.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Maybe Jonathan and Charlotte will come back. XD

Supposing that there's another 3-D Castlevania coming, though, I'd love to see Castlevania II: Simon's Quest remade in 3-D. Be nice to see if they manage to give the original CV hero something of a personality that isn't fighting with teenage boys over who gets a video game princess while grooming himself in the mirror.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The only fault I find about PoR is that it doesn't have a lot of interesting gear. The best whip you can get is after a certain event, which actually makes sense when you think about it, but still.

Also, I just cannot get through the two Frankensteins in the uber dungeon.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • JCRooksJCRooks Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Drez wrote: »
    exist wrote: »

Inverse for me. I thought DoS was sotra crappy. I loved PoR and maxed everything out. I still haven't gotten the good/true ending in DoS. Maybe someday I will, but I hardly care at this point.

I'm with you. I enjoyed both games, but definitely PoR more. I hated the rune-drawing mechanic in DoS.

If there's a new Castlevania coming to the 360, I hope it's NOT a 3D one. I much prefer the 2D games. Heck, make them Arcade titles and I'll be more than happy to hand them my money, err, points ...

JCRooks on
    Xbox LIVE, Steam, Twitter, etc. ...
    Gamertag: Rooks
    - Don't add me, I'm at/near the friend limit :)

Steam: JC_Rooks

Twitter: http://twitter.com/JiunweiC

I work on this: http://www.xbox.com
    edited August 2007
    Chen wrote: »
    The only fault I find about PoR is that it doesn't have a lot of interesting gear. The best whip you can get is after a certain event, which actually makes sense when you think about it, but still.

Also, I just cannot get through the two Frankensteins in the uber dungeon.

What do you mean by 'interesting gear' exactly? Do you mean items with unique properties (or simply unique)? There is that one whip in it that angles toward enemies. But now that you mention it, I guess it was rather bland in that regard. I think it was a bad idea to give Jonathan an array of swords, knives, maces, and axes to use in it. The whole whip concept was a strong point of the story, and the whips throughout the game actually measure up to stick to them exclusively as you progress.

I suppose I'll mark this next bit in a spoiler for those who haven't touched the Soma games (AoS and DoS).
    We do know that, eventually, we'll see a game of the 1999 battle against Dracula. Which actually sounds like it would be a war, from the way it is talked about in AoS. That's supposed to be the sort of pinnacle, most exciting point of the series. I would hope it to be a console game, so that they can have a lot to it, but that runs the risk of it being a 3D title.

I'm not knocking the 3D titles, by the way. They were cool in their own regard, but Castlevania is just meant to be 2D.

Henroid on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I thought PoR felt really effortless. It was a half-assed game without much soul and devoid of any noteworthy content. They hardly tried to do anything to evolve the series - which, as much as the game didn't fundamentally change the formula, DoS did at least attempt. The level design was terrible, the boss fights were unimaginative, the music forgettable, the story was juvenile (although DoS' wasn't much better) and it just felt like a step backwards more than anything else.

I am always looking forward to a new Castlevania, though.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
    edited August 2007
    Ouch. The music in PoR, to me, is one of the best aspects of the game.

The boss fights I'll agree with. The only one where you're in any real danger of dying is the first, because you're taking that 60 - 80 damage with a 200 max health bar. After that it's easy.

Henroid on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm listening to the soundtrack right now, and I can literally only associate a handful of the songs with anything in the game. I'm a huge Castlevania music nut, and that has never happened to me before. It's not that its bad, I just hardly noticed it during the game like I usually do.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    hard mode with richter in Portrait of Ruin is one of the hardest games I have played.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
    edited August 2007
    Henroid wrote: »
    What do you mean by 'interesting gear' exactly? Do you mean items with unique properties (or simply unique)? There is that one whip in it that angles toward enemies. But now that you mention it, I guess it was rather bland in that regard. I think it was a bad idea to give Jonathan an array of swords, knives, maces, and axes to use in it. The whole whip concept was a strong point of the story, and the whips throughout the game actually measure up to stick to them exclusively as you progress.
    I was talking about the main weapon, but now that I think about it, the subweapon was actually useful since it doesn't use up a soul slot like DoS. The axe, once upgraded, was one of the most used spells for me. 1,000 Blades was also useful to bring down Final Guards.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    Hmmm.

Apparently, SOTN had a respectable showing on XBLA.

Sheep on
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Jesus, I don't care what they make the next game. I'm sure I'll enjoy it, just like all the other recent Castlevania games. (Yes, that includes the 3D ones.) But, come on Konami, hire someone who can actually write fucking dialogue. There is no excuse for having poor dialogue in a game without much of it. None. It won't take much more money to make sure what little exists is good. PoR was such an incredibly fun game, but every cutscene was like physical pain.

Cilla Black on
    edited August 2007
    Henroid wrote: »
    I was talking about the main weapon, but now that I think about it, the subweapon was actually useful since it doesn't use up a soul slot like DoS. The axe, once upgraded, was one of the most used spells for me. 1,000 Blades was also useful to bring down Final Guards.

1,000 blades is the best, even though it's only 50. And it's the second dual-ability you get in the game. The subweapons leveling was pretty cool. Too many, perhaps. I think they need to cut back on that if they can't find enough uses for them. When you get a subweapon the first thing that should cross your mind is, "This has a favored time to use," not "Another gimmick." I was a fan of the bwaka knife. It had a very fast use rate (especially if you jump just a tad while spamming it), hit enemies multiple times, and did okay damage. You can actually just skip down a room with it and obliterate everything in your way.

DoS and AoS' souls suffered from the same symptom, though in those games every enemy had a soul to capture so I suppose they had to BS their way around. Too many weapons, not enough emphasis on their necessity.

Henroid on
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I agree that they could use some new enemies and bosses. That said, no way am I playing a game in the old NES format.

Anyway. I liked PoR a lot better than DoS. And frankly, I think the dual-character thing was a lot more "innovative" than any of the half-assed crap they pulled in Dawn (zomg hit the ice blocks with the stylus).

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
    edited August 2007
    I'd actually be more happy if they hired Ayami Kojima back to do the art.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
    edited August 2007
    Zilla84 wrote: »
    Jesus, I don't care what they make the next game. I'm sure I'll enjoy it, just like all the other recent Castlevania games. (Yes, that includes the 3D ones.) But, come on Konami, hire someone who can actually write fucking dialogue. There is no excuse for having poor dialogue in a game without much of it. None. It won't take much more money to make sure what little exists is good. PoR was such an incredibly fun game, but every cutscene was like physical pain.

I don't think I've ever played a Japanese game whose dialogue wasn't painful.

...the Katamari games, I guess.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
    edited August 2007
    I'd actually be more happy if they hired Ayami Kojima back to do the art.

Was that the artist we saw to everything prior to DoS? I'm guessing that's the one, and yes, it would make me happy. The more modern anime look they're adopting just... It doesn't fit right. PoR's art wasn't as 'exaggerated' as DoS (if anyone sees what I mean here, there was a subtle difference).

PoR did put the DS' functions to more use. Or, theoretically I guess. Yeah, DoS you just break some ice blocks. PoR let's you control the other character on screen via stylus, which I tried doing for probably two minutes and gave up on (it's way too hard to play like that, good attempt maybe). Oh, and the Sisters mode was a plus.

Henroid on
    edited August 2007
    Wait. You can control them with the stylus?

I just had them out as a "sidekick" sort of thing.

Albeit usually I didn't even do that, because they were too stupid not to get hit and lose me all my MP.

Also, while Sisters mode was a neat idea, it was way, WAY too easy.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I, for one, welcome this new Castlevania for DS. I can't stop playing DoS, I'm on my second Soma play through trying to get all souls (I upgraded all my weapons first time through so I needed a second playthrough to get all the boss souls again) and played through Julius mode (great addition). I've got something like 35 hours logged.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    But, come on Konami, hire someone who can actually write fucking dialogue.

...a miserable pile of SECRETS?!?!

Raynaga on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    TelMarine wrote: »
    hard mode with richter in Portrait of Ruin is one of the hardest games I have played.

Heh. Try Old Axe Armor mode with LVL1 cap.

You basically have to beat the game without being touched, ever.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    edited August 2007
    Raynaga wrote: »
    But, come on Konami, hire someone who can actually write fucking dialogue.

...a miserable pile of SECRETS?!?!
    I actually liked that exchange, and not in an entirely ironic way.

PoR though.....god. DoS wasn't as bad, but it was extremely bland. Really, the only Castlevania game I've ever played with some genuinely good storytelling and decent enough dialogue was Aria of Sorrow.

Cilla Black on
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm more interested in just what time frame they'll set these games in. For a being who's supposed to resurrect every 100 years, he sure seems to get woken up nearly every decade or so, with the same tired "Bitch, if I were at my TRUE power, you'd have got your ass kicked" excuse when he, well, gets his ass kicked.

I guess they got 4 options here.

1. Something after DoS. Either again with Soma, or after. Castlevania in the 22nd century with plasma whips, yo.

2. Tell the actual battle of 1999 with the then-young Julius Belmont, and explain how Drac got his ass kicked once and for all. My preferred option.

3. Fill in the 400 year gap between Leon and Trevor and make another brand new Belmont. Seems kinda cliche and boring to me, but we'd all happily eat it up anyways.

4. Do the exact same thing again, pick a date between 2 games, and do another "Cult X wants to wake Dracula early" story. Pretty stupidly repetitive now if you ask me, and like I said, they're running out of free room. How many times can you wake the ol' vamp up?
    Hidden option 5. Give us back Alucard, and do whatever the hell you want with the story. Because who gives a fuck, it's Alucard.

Well, hopefully they figure out what they wanna do, because they're very slowly painting themselves into a corner here.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Anonymous RobotAnonymous Robot Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    If Konami would let me have 5 hours unpaid I would write them a script that would be 1,000 times better than "Mina!" "Soma!" "DARKNESS FIGHT SOUL POWER"

Anonymous Robot on
    Sigs shouldn't be higher than 80 pixels - Elki.

photo02-film.jpg
    edited August 2007
    I'm going to be honest here. Alucard was great in SoTN, and he got some sweet cameo gameplay in DoS.

But another game based on him? Eh. It wouldn't be able to compare to SoTN. Let the man stay at his peak.

Cilla Black on
  • ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    woo

i'm well into Dawn of Sorrow and loving it, will be buying PoR soon and Dracula X for my PSP when it comes out

so much castlevania

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
    edited August 2007
    Ooh, I forgot about Dracula X. Doesn't that have SOTN as an unlockable?

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So, I need more crack to fuel my DS addiction. If I were to force myself to choose between DoS and PoR, which would be the better choice? I haven't played a Castlevania game in at least ten years, and I think I need to rectify that.

JihadJesus on
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    So, I need more crack to fuel my DS addiction. If I were to force myself to choose between DoS and PoR, which would be the better choice? I haven't played a Castlevania game in at least ten years, and I think I need to rectify that.
    One does not choose between Castlevania games.
    Get both duh.
    And all the games on GBA too.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    JihadJesus wrote: »

I would really recommend not playing Dawn of Sorrow without playing Aria of Sorrow (on the GBA) first. I mean, you can, and get the gist of what went on in the standard recap. But there's a rather neat and clever twist in AoS that DoS just kinda assumes you already know and goes with it. And it's much better to see that reveal for yourself.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • WienkeWienke Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Anyone cry about the lack of Wii Castlevania yet?

Alright I guess I'll be the one to do it....

OMG No Wii version announced???!!! D:

Wienke on
    PSN: TheWienke
    edited August 2007
    Wienke wrote: »

Because controlling a whip on the Wii takes time to develop.

... I dunno I'm just half-assing the thought process on this post.

Henroid on
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Wienke wrote: »

Well, Konami never released either of the 3D Castlevania games on Gamecube so I can't say I'm surprised. Then again, the Wii almost seems perfect for it.

Who knows though...

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    How about they make interesting maps with decent enemy placement in this one? PoR was just half-assed in that department. DoS a little better, AoS a little better than that, and Symphony of the Night actually had it right.

Everything else is either great, good, or fine. I don't care about the story. Just better-designed levels, please?

Renzo on