As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

How observant are you in games?

Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED!Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Games and Technology
This is the thread where we talk about small things we noticed in games. Some of them are on purpose (done by developers) and can be seen in games like Silent Hill (just try to soak in all the various things here) and more recently Metroid Prime 3. Also, things that aren't supposed to be there (like hilarious typos and such).

So, what out of the way things have you guys seen?

Magus` on

• Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Back when I was still playing World of Warcraft, I used to spend more time exploring and climbing than actually playing. When I was levelling up, I'd always wonder what's past the hills or what was in the unlabled zones on the map. When I learned how to climb hills and walls, I explored everywhere I could. I eventually actually ran out of places to climb.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • PbPb Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I always seem to catch the typos. I'm surprised at how often your/you're slips by in games.

Pb on
  • JigrahJigrah Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    In Ratchet and Clank I paid attention to all the different areas and managed to get all the gold bolts and most all of the skill points, I think it was one of the few platformers that I 100% on my own.

(I tried doing that with CrashBandicoot but man there werent hints for a lot of the stuff you could find, I need some kind of hint damnt, not just jump off and pray.)

Jigrah on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    As Bioshock has taught me, I'm not observant at all.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Shooter McgavinShooter Mcgavin Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I tend to notice seams in textures. Blech!

Shooter Mcgavin on
    banner.gif
  • ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Majora's Mask is full of ornamental cows that wobble when the moon does. Now that we've seen TP, I think Eiji Aonuma has a moo-fetish going on.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • StasisStasis Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    As Bioshock has taught me, I'm not observant at all.
    Bioshock is currently ruining me, as in my second playthrough I'm attempting to find every audio log.

I check every body, desk, filing cabinet, crate, and drawer for anything and everything, as well as sweep every room floor to ceiling to make sure there are no hidden rooms or compartments.

I think my mental health is deteriorating.

Stasis on
  • GenoForPrezGenoForPrez Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    One of the items you can acquire in Disgaea 2 is a "charred newt".

When you're at the store, check the item description at the bottom of the screen and it says:

"Charred newt. It didn't get better."

It's a Monty Python reference! Yessss!

I'm sure I'm far from the first to notice, but it made my day.

GenoForPrez on
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    It took me ages in GoW2 to realise
    the water flow in euryales temple was circular

I havent had much luck in that game.

I clean out rooms with utter care in morrowind though, I check everything.

The Black Hunter on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Noticing typos in a big-budget game drives me nuts. How much do they pay people to check this stuff? Not to mention all the playtesters playing it through again and again, and either nobody noticed it or nobody cared enough to fix it.

Zek on
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, it's really irritating, especially when it's a game you've spent a month and a half playing before it reaches stores.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I hate that, I always spot them and once you see them you can't un-see them and it always drags you right out of the game. I always spot all the little gaps in level architecture, all the bits where things clip through other things, little graphical glitches. It drives me nuts.

-SPI- on
  • SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Zek wrote: »
    Noticing typos in a big-budget game drives me nuts. How much do they pay people to check this stuff? Not to mention all the playtesters playing it through again and again, and either nobody noticed it or nobody cared enough to fix it.

Spelling errors are the second thing testers get shit for noticing (the first being unfun gameplay or shitty level design). At best, they can expect their reported typos to be met with complete indifference, at worst, they'll get a meeting with their supervisor telling them to stop wasting their time spellchecking, that they got a deadline and to find more gameplay/graphical bugs. Yes, it's that bad.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • ironsizideironsizide You must whip it Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I love noticing the little humorous touches and in-jokes. WoW is chock full of these little gems, my favorite being a reference to Jugger Grimrod from the old Alien Legion comicbook, who has a Ork wizard (I think) named after him somewhere.

Or the elevator music in System Shock. I laffed.

ironsizide on
    |_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
  • GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    -SPI- wrote: »
    I hate that, I always spot them and once you see them you can't un-see them and it always drags you right out of the game. I always spot all the little gaps in level architecture, all the bits where things clip through other things, little graphical glitches. It drives me nuts.

Ditto, everytime I play Oblivion I notice them all over the place. The other one is where an object actually sticks through another object, I was just playing Bioshock and noticed how a part of some stairs actually went through a wall.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • DemicoreDemicore Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    This thread brings back memories of Daggerfall.

Demicore on
    There's nothing I love more than male nipples in Starcraft, the two go together so well. - Tasteless
  • BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm usually very observant but I was about 3/4 of the way through Bioshock before I realized the gun turrets were sitting on swivel chairs.

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Basticle wrote: »
    I'm usually very observant but I was about 3/4 of the way through Bioshock before I realized the gun turrets were sitting on swivel chairs.

completed bioshock about 3 times and didnt know that until now.

The_Scarab on
  • BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    look at page 54 of the artbook

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2007
    Noticing typos in a big-budget game drives me nuts. How much do they pay people to check this stuff?

The WoW expansion had TONS of typos that persisted for months after release. Wasn't long ago that "Mask of Pennance" was fixed.:P

Echo on
  • DrakmathusDrakmathus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    SimBen wrote: »

Spelling errors are the second thing testers get shit for noticing (the first being unfun gameplay or shitty level design). At best, they can expect their reported typos to be met with complete indifference, at worst, they'll get a meeting with their supervisor telling them to stop wasting their time spellchecking, that they got a deadline and to find more gameplay/graphical bugs. Yes, it's that bad.

probably the worst one for me is from stronghold. When you win the map it says "The enemy are vanquished m'lord". I'm pretty sure this is a British/American thing because I see British people referring to singular companies in the plural as well ("Sony are dumb", etc.) but that game made me cringe every time I beat a level.

I'm usually fairly observant in games, in Doom 1/2 I was able to find all the secrets without cheats.

Drakmathus on
  • RookieRookie Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Typos do bother me, but it's when the subtitles don't match what the voiceover is saying that really kills me. It doesn't matter if it's something so small as the text saying "it's" and guy saying "it is", I still hate it.

Rookie on
    TheRizzle.png
    PSN: TheSuperVillain
  • CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

When you're at the store, check the item description at the bottom of the screen and it says:

In Disgaea 2, there's armor called "Wizard's Robe". The text under it?

"I put on my robe and wizard hat"

Carnarvon on
  • DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Carnarvon wrote: »

The item descriptions are pretty much all win.

Berserker: "It's love for you is like a truck."

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • UnicronUnicron Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I am completely oblivious to even the most obvious thing when playing a game by myself but put me next to someone playing something and I turn in to some kind of rain man or something. I know it's annoying as hell though so try to shut up but it still annoys me that I can't be this bright playing by myself D:

Unicron on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm not very observant in games. For the majority of the games I play, I start just processing the best way to get through an area and to level up. I usually end up ignoring a lot of obvious shit.

Couscous on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    It took me ages in GoW2 to realise
    the water flow in euryales temple was circular

This guy wins the thread. I felt like a goddamn moron after this.

UnbreakableVow on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Sometimes I'm very observant. Other times almost not at all. There's a fair share of stuff in Half-Life 2 like the mini teleporter in Kleiner's lab and all the places where you can see the Gman.

Peewi on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    "You're not supposed to be here
    - Levelord"

subedii on
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I really liked all the "loading" sequences for Prime 3, along with the new animations. Especially the flip she does when you un-morph in mid-air. They're small touches, but it really makes a nice difference to me.

BlueDestiny on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Back when I was still playing World of Warcraft, I used to spend more time exploring and climbing than actually playing. When I was levelling up, I'd always wonder what's past the hills or what was in the unlabled zones on the map. When I learned how to climb hills and walls, I explored everywhere I could. I eventually actually ran out of places to climb.

I love that in WAR you'll actually be rewarded for doing stuff like that.

Inquisitor on
  • stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    A good chunk of the story for Bioshock is told in the environment. If you aren't paying close attention you'll miss them.

stigweard on
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm really observant when it comes to Metroid games. You come across you so many items you can't get to with your current equipment. I just have a mental checklist. Energy Tank - Platform near elevator - Come back with grappling hook

Delzhand on
  • ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    DVG wrote: »

This is why Houk is one cool dude.

Projeck on
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I thought Houk didn't start until after Disgaea came out.

Delzhand on
  • ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    We're talking about Disgaea 2

Projeck on
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm very observant/obsessive in FPSes (Half-Life, R: FoM), than RPG-types like Morrowind. I think it's because you're not supposed to spend 230 mins in each area, you're meant to just be blasting through. The Half-Lives definielty win in that regard with little story bits to noticed scattered around.

MichaelLC on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    I'm very observant/obsessive in FPSes (Half-Life, R: FoM), than RPG-types like Morrowind. I think it's because you're not supposed to spend 230 mins in each area, you're meant to just be blasting through. The Half-Lives definielty win in that regard with little story bits to noticed scattered around.

G-Man spotting FTW. They really managed to give you fleeting glimpses that often ended up being more like a mindjob sometimes. Like you'd go try and crawl through a crack in the area that's just too narrow and see a suited figure wandering down a tunnel. Or you'd hear a weird tune and turn the corner just in time to see a TV flash off, and the G-man was on it. Or was he?

I'll be interested in seeing what goes on in Episode 2. There have been a few hints that the G-man is going to be developed a bit.

subedii on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I didn't work this out myself, but instead read about it.

Black Mesa you all know well.

The criminally overlooked RTS Ground Control had a base called White Asem.

Xagarath on
  • TM2 RampageTM2 Rampage Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    DVG wrote: »

D::!!:

TM2 Rampage on