As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Asheron's Call: Nine Years of Killing Olthoi

• VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Oh, gosh... I didn't actually realize people played anymore. I was chatting with someone a couple days ago about it online, and I figured I'd check in here today... and saw that this thread is alive and well!

Man, awesome!

I used to be on Harvestgain, but that was before Turbine became independant... apparently I lost my account in the changeover because I wasn't playing when that changeover grace period happened.

I'm thinking of making a Let's Play for Asheron's Call as an excuse to try it again and see if it's still as good as I remember it being. In my mind, it was the most entertaining MMORPG I ever played, by a long shot.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
    edited November 2008
    I remember when I started playing (launch day) it took me a good long time to get to a decent level.

Now you can hit level 30 in a couple of hours. And I wasn't even using Decal, I was just using the available ingame buffbots. Oooo, lets go kill FUCKING OLTHOI WHEN I'M LEVEL 15, THIS SUCKS.

I had such beautiful memories of launch. It's one of the few MMO's (the only other one being Vanguard, which I loved despite all it's faults) that I haven't left hating, that I still have fond memories of. And then I logged back in 2 years ago to give it a spin and couldn't believe the shit I was seeing.

Yikes, that's crazy. =( I first started about a month in, and I played the same character for four years... I only got him up to level... what was it? I think 50?

Maybe I just sucked at it. =)

EDIT: Also, as was mentioned here... if they offered a one-time flat rate for a lifetime subscription, I would be in on it. I can't justify 12.95 a month for it anymore I think, but I would definitely join if there was a one time fee of, say, even 100 bucks.

But that would have to come with a guarantee that, if they closed down their servers someday, they would release your character data and the tools/software needed to run your own server: basically to open source it and include what you need to start your own server and keep your character going.

But perhaps I ask for too much. =)

EDIT 2: Urgh... okay... who would be up for making a new PA Allegiance in Asheron's Call? I miss MMOs that were actually plot driven and player interactive.

VThornheart on
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I might be down, depending on how many people are interested.

I'd kick back up my account, got a lvl 200, and I'm pretty sure my mules have a few dozen newb armor sets (or I can go get some pretty quick)

But again if its only like 3 people? eehhh. Oh my character was on Solclaim, because its the second most populated server.

Anon the Felon on
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    One thing that depresses me is that I didn't have a chance to go back and loot my apartment before it decayed. I lost a lot of precious (to me) items -- including gear signed by old friends who I'll never see again.

One of my characters is still sworn to my old Asheron's Call guild which is now my WOW guild. I logged out at our guild mansion and logged back in to see it unowned.

One of my characters has a patron whom I just can't remember how to get ahold of. It's juuuust barely right on my mind, I can ALMOST but not quite remember his AIM name, but...

Sigh. Every so often I think of my vassals and stuff and wonder if they'll ever think to IM me, and, yeah.

Meh, now I'm depressed.

KiTA on
    edited November 2008
    KiTA wrote: »
    One thing that depresses me is that I didn't have a chance to go back and loot my apartment before it decayed. I lost a lot of precious (to me) items -- including gear signed by old friends who I'll never see again.

One of my characters is still sworn to my old Asheron's Call guild which is now my WOW guild. I logged out at our guild mansion and logged back in to see it unowned.

One of my characters has a patron whom I just can't remember how to get ahold of. It's juuuust barely right on my mind, I can ALMOST but not quite remember his AIM name, but...

Sigh. Every so often I think of my vassals and stuff and wonder if they'll ever think to IM me, and, yeah.

Meh, now I'm depressed.

Aye, I'm with you. Being able to inscribe items in that way REALLY had a way of personalizing them for you.

I had this jitte that a fellow roleplayer found, and inscribed it for me (it was a fire one... elemental jittes were hard to find, even though they STILL only did 3-5 damage)... for the last 2 months I played, the thought of losing it was the only thing that kept me playing still (because at that point I knew I was so addicted that I had to stop... but the thought of losing that personalized item made me sad enough that I refused to do so).

I'd be willing to jump on Solclaim for it. Vendal Thornheart 2.0. New and improved... maybe they've made more powerful Jittes now.

My first roll of Vendal was Jitte only, because I loved the concept of the weapon. But they never made any more powerful version of it than the standard 3-5, and rarely 3-5 with an elemental damage. Needless to say, leveling was SLOW and painful.

I hear they have more powerful ones now, and even a quest Jitte. Woot! =)

Join us KiTA! Maybe we can start a new one up in the new year. At least give it a go, see if we can bring back that old spark. =)

VThornheart on
    edited November 2008
    Well, I don't know much about the state of Jites themselves...but Macing in particular is one of the best weapon skills in the game.

Its missing piercing and slashing, BUT at level 150 (I think its 150) you get to go to Egg Orchard (EO) to level, all the way to 275 (new max), everything in EO is Olthoi. So mace has the massive advantage of having the best damage type on all their non-elemental weapons found. Axes also have a bludgeon weapon (War hammers) but I'll be damned if every war hammer I found was total junk.

Anon the Felon on
    edited November 2008
    Aye, reading up at ACVault it looks like they leveled it out so that (pretty much) all of the maces have the same potential minimum and maximum... which means I can find me a badass jitte, at LAST.

Okay, January 1st I'm treating myself to it. Maybe earlier if I can't resist any longer. =)

VThornheart on
    edited November 2008
    Okay, screw it... let's do this. I'm going to join Solclaim with a new account (since, as I said, my old one bit the dust in the Microsoft/Turbine changeover) this weekend, and hit it up.

Whatever we do, we have to do this casually... I can't get as addicted as I got before, that'd be really bad.

VThornheart on
    edited November 2008
    Well VT, I'll boot my account back up...I'm currently on Linux which does not play nice with decal, which MEANS, I can log in, have ya swear, and hook you up with some newbie gear.

As far as I remember I was in one of the larger monarchies on the server, I'll have to see if the buff bots and such are still running...should be.

Anon the Felon on
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I, to this day, miss my Patron and wish I had kept some way of getting ahold of her. She was such a cool lady.

God, remember back then when people would randomly meet in the wilds and would chat and get to know each other?

Most people are so anti-social in MMO's anymore.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I keep in touch with my patron, she and her husband (who also played) have two kids now. :P

Also, everything I have is on MT. But if people are going to play on Solclaim I might create a character there. Newbies are fun.

citizen059 on
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I created an Aluvian Life/War spec mage on Solclaim, name is Gareth Ryndlan. Classic BM template for the win.

citizen059 on
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Damn it. I'm too busy playing WAR to join you guys. Stop tempting me to play AC again, I've only been disappointed every time I've done so, as much as I want to love the game again like I did when it was all fresh and new. God I wish Turbine would make a new one. Or at the very least, update the interface, not even being able to move the camera with my mouse is silly.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
    edited November 2008
    Well right now I'm running around doing the starter quests; I'm not using buffbots or taking items from anyone. You almost don't need to, the resources are there to get you going...not at an "uber" level but better than AC of '99. The loot drops around starter towns get you the pyreal you need for whatever. Just one run to the Holtburg Redoubt almost got me enough for an MMD.

I'm using the starter armor set (pathwarden) and the academy wand, using my level 1 spells to great effect. ;-)

I had enough cash to top off my spell comps and buy a set of portal gems from the local archmage to make travel between towns easier.

citizen059 on
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yes, if they'd just update this game and try and find SOME WAY to get it into stores... Maybe a new "boxed set" every 6 months or something (which is why EQ did so well, they were CONSTANTLY in the stores because they CONSTANTLY had a new box out)...

I donno, pay to have Gabe and Tycho come down and visit the company. Lifetime subs. Hell, LOTRO is doing great, make AC free to play for all LOTRO accounts.

Something.

KiTA on
    edited November 2008
    Well, I am downloading the client right now (lost it when I formatted over to Linux). So I should be on in a little while, I'll send you a tell Citizen, and either get you going with some stuff, or at least see what I can give you a hand with.

Anon the Felon on
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    KiTA wrote: »
    Yes, if they'd just update this game and try and find SOME WAY to get it into stores... Maybe a new "boxed set" every 6 months or something (which is why EQ did so well, they were CONSTANTLY in the stores because they CONSTANTLY had a new box out)...

I donno, pay to have Gabe and Tycho come down and visit the company. Lifetime subs. Hell, LOTRO is doing great, make AC free to play for all LOTRO accounts.

Something.

If LOTRO accounts also gave access to AC for the same $15 a month, I'd actually strongly consider it. I haven't played much LOTRO despite getting a free copy at PAX 2007 from a drawing(Sadly was one away from winning an 8800 GTX instead) and am somewhat interested in Mines of Moria, and would be willing to buy it if I could also get my nostalgia on with AC. I've also still got my copy of Throne of Destiny still sitting in my closet that I got for free at PAX '07, signed by Frelorn since he offered to.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
    edited November 2008
    Cool, let's do this like Brutus!

I'm going to go download the client and throw on the 14-day install now.

It'll be good to see the old digs.

At one point in Harvestgain, I had declared myself the mayor of Khyabaan (because no one else EVER came there). I sat on the roof of the highest building for like 2 days straight.

During that time, I saw one person pass by. I demanded that he pay me tribute, and he kneeled down and dropped pyreals on the ground for me in honor of the town and its king.

THAT is the kind of thing that made me love the game, and miss it even to this day. Roleplaying in a roleplaying game = awesome. Even if it's silly roleplaying. =)

EDIT: Blah, it says I can't register at this time. Is Turbine's system down or something?

VThornheart on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Okay, screw it... let's do this. I'm going to join Solclaim with a new account (since, as I said, my old one bit the dust in the Microsoft/Turbine changeover) this weekend, and hit it up.

Whatever we do, we have to do this casually... I can't get as addicted as I got before, that'd be really bad.

Don't do this to me, VT. We were just talking about this, and I have finals coming up. Are you really going to be the reason I fail my classes? Do you want this on your conscience? Really?

D:

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    edited November 2008
    No, don't do that!

Listen, I'm just going to do some... advance scouting. Make a test character, see if it's still any good.

We won't do it "for real" until your finals are over. =) I just... I just want to see what changed. =)

VThornheart on
    edited November 2008
    14% of 56,000kb of the content patch downloaded...

... this feels like both a bad idea, and a wonderful one...

also, I figured out why it wasn't letting me register.

Apparently, sometime in 2006 I *DID* try the game again. I don't even remember doing it. But my account was there. I'm wondering if I joined up again to save my old characters in the changeover. Did that happen in 2006?

Either way, once this patch is finished I'll see if they're there... and either way, make a new character. Vendal Thornheart 1.0 was the gimpiest player ever. (4 years to get to level 50? Ouch. Though I had a lot of roleplaying fun that interrupted leveling =) )

VThornheart on
  • littwentythreelittwentythree Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    These types of things usually only last for a month or two, but it's a pretty fun month or two to play with friends :)

Maybe I can use this opportunity to make a really bizarre character templates and make you all pies in the midst of battle or something. Although I do have a really bitchin dark red full yoroi major suit on TD.

littwentythree on
    newsig.png
    edited November 2008
    Hm, I don't really have any screenshots of the PA group from last year.

ScreenShot00049.jpg

littwentythree on
    newsig.png
    edited November 2008
    Statue of Greedy Wishes?

Whoa, did you get to keep all those trade notes?

I think it was like 2 years before I got my first 100k trade note in the game. Maybe even longer. =)

:embarrassed:

VThornheart on
    edited November 2008
    If you manage to get in post names; I'm off to bed for now but hopefully I'll get some time in tomorrow.

I hopped back over to my axeman on MT for a few, hooked up with a buddy and we hit VoD for a bit.

It went well, I think:
    w00t!

screenshot00009db4.jpg

citizen059 on
    edited November 2008
    Aye, will do, still downloading at the moment =)

VThornheart on
    edited November 2008
    Gorram the patch download takes a long time. They should let you download it externally.

VThornheart on
    edited November 2008
    We doing this on Solclaim? Patching now.

littwentythree on
    newsig.png
    edited November 2008
    I'm in... it feels like they pulled a Dragon Ball Z on it.

The first creature I killed, a young mosswart, dropped 3 magic items and a lead pea.

In fact, every creature I killed today dropped at least 3 magic items each.

In my first year of play, I never dreamed of getting an MMD note... and I scoffed at the assertion by someone above that they got one in half an hour.

I just did, at the very first quest you get in Shoushi to go into that mansion.

This kind of makes me sad. =)

VThornheart on
    edited November 2008
    I'm on Solclaim as "Emerlist Davjack", send me a /tell

littwentythree on
    newsig.png
    edited November 2008
    Sorry my MBR just exploded as I was messing around....had to format and re install everything...

Anon the Felon on
  • Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    ... must.... resist.

Bendery It Like Beckham on
    edited November 2008
    I'm in... it feels like they pulled a Dragon Ball Z on it.

The first creature I killed, a young mosswart, dropped 3 magic items and a lead pea.

In fact, every creature I killed today dropped at least 3 magic items each.

In my first year of play, I never dreamed of getting an MMD note... and I scoffed at the assertion by someone above that they got one in half an hour.

I just did, at the very first quest you get in Shoushi to go into that mansion.

This kind of makes me sad. =)

Natural progression of the game's economy. Pyreal doesn't carry the value it once did.

It's still good for getting your spell components and such, but in reality MMD notes are like the very bottom of the ladder in terms of currency.

citizen059 on
    edited November 2008
    I'm on Solclaim as "Everlist Davjack", send me a /tell

Tried to add that name to my friends list and got "That character does not exist"

citizen059 on
    edited November 2008
    citizen059 wrote: »
    I'm on Solclaim as "Everlist Davjack", send me a /tell

Tried to add that name to my friends list and got "That character does not exist"

I spelled my own name wrong, cripes. Updated.

littwentythree on
    newsig.png
    edited November 2008
    I grabbed my level 2 life/war spells in Yaraq, I'll probably be off and on as the day goes by...getting some time in when I'm not looking after sick family members or helping make dinner. ;-)

citizen059 on
    edited November 2008
    Wow, that's insane. I guess I just have to adjust myself to it.

The really wierd thing was how much stuff dropped off of everything to me. I fully expect Full Shadow Amuli to drop off of a Drudge today.

By the way, in Solclaim I'm "Vendal Thornheart".

Despite my original distaste at the inflation of the pyreal, I dreamt about AC last night. I'll be on again today, until about 10:30am EST and then maybe tonight after this Thanksgiving thing gets taken care of. ;)

VThornheart on
    edited November 2008
    Wow, that's insane. I guess I just have to adjust myself to it.

The really wierd thing was how much stuff dropped off of everything to me. I fully expect Full Shadow Amuli to drop off of a Drudge today.

By the way, in Solclaim I'm "Vendal Thornheart".

Despite my original distaste at the inflation of the pyreal, I dreamt about AC last night. I'll be on again today, until about 10:30am EST and then maybe tonight after this Thanksgiving thing gets taken care of. ;)

Added you to my list.

citizen059 on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So is Solclaim where we're playing, then? I don't know that I'll even have to reactivate my account in that case, since I had no characters there (Thistledown for the win, folks).

No, not yet, but once finals are over, and when I can hide it from my wife, I'll be aboard. ;-)

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    edited November 2008
    Aye, wait until finals for sure =) Unless the game turns out to be horribly broken and suck now, we'll be there. =)

I need to remember the shortcut key to target the nearest enemy. =) lol

And you know it's been a long time when I forget where all the shops are in Holtburg. =P

VThornheart on