As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

But how do you get the pictures out of the camera?

BooknessBookness Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Okay, so I bought a camera off someone on Craigslist, great camera, really good deal. Now I can't seem to get the pictures to down load on to my computer.
The camera is an Olympus C-3000 Zoom. It came with software on a CD that would not load on to my computer so I went to the Olympus website and they sent me a link and I down loaded the software recommended for my camera (Olympus Master 2.0). The software opens and seems to work fine. I hook the camera up to the computer via the USB cable and the computer recognizes that something is there but when I ask the software to find the camera it says it can't find a camera connected to the computer. I have tried this when the camera is on and off, I have tried starting the computer with the camera attached and attaching it after, nothing seems to make any difference.
Does anyone have any suggestions? Or maybe some other software to try? Thanks for any help you can give.

A room without books is like a body without a soul. - Cicero
Bookness on

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    You could uninstall the software and just try to access the camera via Windows Explorer. That works sometimes.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, try going to "My Computer" and look at the list of drives while your camera is connected - you should see one that's not normally there (with a name like G: or H: ), double click on it and there should be some folders in there with jpg images files inside. Copy them to your main drive, open with image-editing software, and voila.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • FirebrandFirebrand Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I don't know that camera, but the one I have here, a PanaSonic Lumix, offers two modes on the camera display when connecting it via USB: PC, and PictBridge.

In PC mode, the camera appears as a drive, just as if I had inserted the memory card into the computer directly. Vista does not recognize it as a camera. I have to go into the drive and subfolders and grab the files manually through Explorer.

In PictBridge mode, Vista tells me there's a camera attached, and asks if I want to pull out the pictures from it.

Note that I have no camera-specific software installed, just what already comes with Vista. I think it worked similarly with XP.

Not sure if that helps you at all.

Firebrand on
  • BooknessBookness Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Okay, I tried to get to the camera from My Computer but it is not registering there. It is under the "Safely Remove Hardware" option as an Olympus Camera. I am going to restart my computer now that I have removed all the software and see what happens.

Bookness on
    edited September 2007
    Nothing changed

Bookness on
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Switch it to gallery mode.

Or whatever mode you have to go into to view photos. Thats how it works for mine.

Hacksaw on
    edited September 2007
    Hacksaw wrote: »

Or whatever mode you have to go into to view photos. Thats how it works for mine.

Check.

Bookness on
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    If you don't mind spending a little cash, you could just buy a memory card reader that's compatible with the type of card in the camera, and plug the card in directly. Personally, I always found that to be less of a hassle than the official software anyhow.

Unless of course the camera uses onboard memory.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Bookness wrote: »
    Hacksaw wrote: »

Check.
    Run the check again? The way my software works is when I connect the camera to the computer and shift it into gallery mode, it automatically downloads the piktars. I don't know if that'll work for you, though.

Hacksaw on
  • LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Google Picasa is how you get pictures off a camera, not the useless software they all come with.

LoneIgadzra on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2007
    The trick on my camera, also an Olympus IIRC, is that the camera has to be in a specific mode in order for the computer to access it. I don't remember exactly what mode this is - it has cryptic little symbols that seem to correlate poorly to what it actually does.

You may not need to use the Olympus software to pull the pictures off. Most cameras I've used, once you get the right mode set, can be accessed more or less like a flash drive.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2007
    From The Manual

1. Make sure that the power of the personal computer and the camera are
    OFF.
    2. Connect the provided USB cable or optional RS-232C PC serial cable to
    your computer. (See the previous page for details)
    3. Remove the lens cap, and connect the cable to the camera’s USB
    connector or computer connector, then turn on your computer.
    4. Set the Mode dial on the camera to the little box with the arrow pointing right.
    5. Start CAMEDIA Master on the computer.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited September 2007
    Okay, I am trying Picasa cause so far nothing else has worked. I am going to go through all of the modes but I thought I had it in gallery mode to begin with. I will let you know what works.

Bookness on
  • TechBoyTechBoy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I think I had that camera (or maybe one a little bit later in the series)

I believe the proper way to hook it up was to leave the camera off. Hook up the cables. Then turn the camera on in Gallery mode.

At that point windows should detect it, and it should show up as another drive in My Computer. You can then copy and paste the pictures out of the camera like it were a hard drive.

If that doesn't work, yeah, Card Reader ;-)

TechBoy on
    tf2_sig.png
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, it seems that none of this is working. I guess I am going to have to go for a card reader. Do I need to know anything about buying one?

Bookness on
  • TechBoyTechBoy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Make sure it supports SmartMedia.

It's an oldish format that's not as common nowadays. (Don't get it confused with SD, SmartDigital)

TechBoy on
    tf2_sig.png
    edited September 2007
    Thanks Everyone!

Bookness on
  • SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I have a Nikon Coolpix camera with a SanDisk adapter so I can get pictures off the card onto my computer (it uses a CFII card), and I can get to the DCIM folder on the card, but when I try and open it it says that the folder is empty/inaccessible. I have accessed the card on my computer before (I have Vista BTW) and suddenly it doesn't work.

Snork on