As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I Wanna A XBOX360 But...

LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
edited September 2007 in Games and Technology
I'm very picky about technology and only want the latest and greatest and what has me interested is the 360 with the 65nm chips as I heard the older 90nm are the ones that overheat and break down. With Halo3 out I'm finally breaking down so how can I easily find the 65nm 360s? I tried looking this up online but all I get is news reports and nothing substantial. Thank you for any tips!

LondonBridge on

• Options
    Topher587Topher587 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The Xbox360 systems with the newer chipset are not available at the moment. They haven't been made yet.

Topher587 on
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    Lies.

The Halo 360's supposedly have 'em.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    It is just a guess that the new chips will solve the RROD problem. We won't know for sure until they have been out in the wild for a while.

They have been made and shipped/are being shipped over. Should start hitting stores in the next few weeks but it may take some time to clear out of old stock before they are seen everywhere.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    Raziel_pmRaziel_pm Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm very picky about technology and only want the latest and greatest and what has me interested is the 360 with the 65nm chips as I heard the older 90nm are the ones that overheat and break down. With Halo3 out I'm finally breaking down so how can I easily find the 65nm 360s? I tried looking this up online but all I get is news reports and nothing substantial. Thank you for any tips!

I refer you here: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=37278

Raziel_pm on
    Your sig was too large. Maximum sig size is 500x80. - Jacobkosh.
  • Options
    AntibodiesAntibodies Used to live in a psychic city. Never knew what would happen in a day. Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    There are industry shills trying to disseminate information that they're already covertly on the shelves.
    http://forums.xbox.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=15804553

I don't buy it though, there's no need for them to fix their situation at this point when the console hasn't been selling well the past quarter and will only now pick up sales and eliminate backstock with the release of all the holiday games. They don't intend to throw away all that money they spent on buying the 90nm chips, thus they continue to keep releasing them, knowing full well they will only break down and need to be sent in. They hope they'll survive just past the 3 year warrenty they so kindly gave, they thought that would break down the fear of buying the system born to die on you.

They want to get rid of the old shit so bad, they're in no hurry to release the 65nms because its not really going to solve the problem, its just going to be cheaper for them to produce. Only when the CPU and GPU are smaller and more efficient will their problems lessen slightly, the heatsinks added in July help this quite a bit but the entire design was doomed from day one and MS was in such a hurry to be first to market they never bothered to test or learn their soddering was cheap environmentally friendly shit that couldn't even surive a few hundred degrees heat, normal for a few hours run time. The exterior power brick barely helps this problem, no intercooler fans can save it and no amount of ventilation will solve the noise issues.

You can find the consoles that say Zephyr on the side, that have the additional heatsinks, and the HDMI was added to cause people to believe the hardware has been improved but there's no evidence of 65nm chips or that those will even save the hardware from RROD. They keep releasing new versions, bundles to sweeten the deal but the truth is the parts themselves are no better and they won't even elaborate on what exactly is the problem or say when the specifics change because that would be like admitting every console they have ever sold before that version was fatally flawed product. Right now it seems they're trying to clear backstock of parts with the Halo launch, console and new holiday bundles coming, Shane Kim said we wouldn't see the 65nms until fall but I'm thinking more like Spring at best.

Their strategy is to just keep churning out great games that will break people down and cause them to take the plunge rather than addressing the issue or admitting to their failures. The warrenty was to assure some kind of good faith but really its a bandaid on a cancer, that they hope they can just ride out for another 3 years of the console cycle before moving onto the next round. Either you stupidly buy the console knowing this or you take a stand against their con and don't buy into a corrupted system.

Antibodies on
    XBL: thetinwoodsman
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I Wanna A XBOX360 But I am too poor.

Suggestions?

LewieP on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2007
    How about you B it instead?

Echo on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Hmmm, I guess I'll wait or just build a new PC for Crysis then... At least I know whats going in my 'console' :)

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Echo wrote: »

i lol'd

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    DaybreakDaybreak Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    There's nothing like the smell of generic nerd rage in the morning (refering to antibodies... nice manifesto buddy)

Really, if you buy a 360 now, you've got a near-perfect shot at a stable system. There's the new heatsink design, plus the new chips, both of which should decrease the chances of heat death.

Then there are folks like me who are still riding their launch systems with zero problems. *shrug*

Daybreak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Daybreak wrote: »
    There's nothing like the smell of generic nerd rage in the morning (refering to antibodies... nice manifesto buddy)

Really, if you buy a 360 now, you've got a near-perfect shot at a stable system. There's the new heatsink design, plus the new chips, both of which should decrease the chances of heat death.

Then there are folks like me who are still riding their launch systems with zero problems. *shrug*

It's not even heat death. RROD is such a simplistic problem to fix, but unfortunately it's not one that is prone to show up quickly. I agree that the final design should have undergone more extensive testing which would have shown the problem. But at this point it's hardly worthwhile to argue about.

For the vast majority of 360's, if they RROD after warranty, or you just don't care, it'll cost you a few bucks in parts to permanently fix that particular issue. Unlike the causes for the DDE and DRE's of the last gen PS2 and Xbox systems which were potentially much more annoying and expensive to repair (depending on exact system specs).

EclecticGroove on
  • Options
    InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

i lol'd

I didn't get it. Does that mean I'm not funny?

And on topic, I suggest you hold out for another 2 weeks or so to find means of getting the new 360s with the better chip sets.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The 65nm chips are for the CPU not the GPU.

The GPU overheating is what is causing the RROD problems. ALL new 360s have an extra heatsink on the GPU chip which eliminates this problem.

the 'Falcon' 360s will be no more reliable than the current ones, just cheaper for Microsoft to produce as 65nm CPUs are cheaper to make.

This means the 'Falcon' 360 you are waiting for will be no different than one now, only possibly cheaper. So expect a price cut.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Inzigna wrote: »

i lol'd

I didn't get it. Does that mean I'm not funny?

"wanna" = "want a(n)"
    "I Wanna A XBOX360 But..." = "I want a(n) A XBOX360 But..." = "I want a a XBOX360 but..."

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Whut?

Does this mean I'm retarded? Oh no.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    LewieP wrote: »
    I Wanna A XBOX360 But I am too poor.

Suggestions?

You can do what I'm doing

Drinking way too much Pepsi and Mountain Dew, dumpster diving for caps, etc

Not a single code will win you a 360 but that hasn't stopped me yet

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Wouldn't cutting down on those drinks and drinking water instead save you enough money eventually to get a 360?

Aaaand, keep you healthier?

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Vert1Vert1 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    JUST DO IT!

Vert1 on
    blood_berry_new.jpg
    Sleep wrote: »
    Vert1 wrote: »
    I'd like to ask everyone here one question. What is a game?

A lower form of sex.
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    All I fucking know is Mass Effect better come out for the PC

Because I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a gaming system and then hundreds more on all the games I want for that system besides Mass Effect that were good but not good enough to get me to buy the system

But I will

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Inzigna wrote: »
    Wouldn't cutting down on those drinks and drinking water instead save you enough money eventually to get a 360?

Aaaand, keep you healthier?

Prepaid meal plans for anywhere on campus help with the cost

Also it has gotten to the point where I'm storing the Dews for later consumption after putting in the caps and not winning a 360

There are six opened bottles of Diet Dew in my fridge as I post

They are going to be flat as hell when I finally get around to drinking them I'd wager

HOWEVER

Should my plan fail (as it inevitably will) it'll be time to take advantage of the fact that my current situation puts me at almost a zero cost of living and almost 100% of my paycheck is disposable

This sounds rad but keep in mind I work a university job, which means at best I make like seventy bucks a week

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Is it really a Xbox? I always thought it'd be an Xbox.

reVerse on
  • Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    An is only used when the following word begins with a vowel. Or, depending on your interpretation of grammatical rules, if the word starts with the letter H followed by a vowel.

The title is a grammatical nightmare though no matter how you look at it.

Raynaga on
  • Options
    LeztaLezta Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    reVerse wrote: »
    Is it really a Xbox? I always thought it'd be an Xbox.

It is.

Lezta on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Raynaga wrote: »
    An is only used when the following word begins with a vowel. Or, depending on your interpretation of grammatical rules, if the word starts with the letter H followed by a vowel.

I know when a and an are used, but since X is pronounced ex, and thus starts with a vowel, I figured it sounds more natural with an.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Sounding natural doesn't equate to a sheer and freakishly annoying adherence to grammatical rules though, now does it?

Raynaga on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I guess not.

You win again, grammar.

reVerse on
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    also, "wanna A" is redundant, since wanna is short for "want a."

Regardless, this thread is relevant to my interests as I'm starting to liquidate my last gen (and some current gen) games and systems in hopes of funding a 360 Pro purchase. So, i guess the plan is to wait a little bit.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    The 65nm chips are for the CPU not the GPU.

The GPU overheating is what is causing the RROD problems. ALL new 360s have an extra heatsink on the GPU chip which eliminates this problem.

the 'Falcon' 360s will be no more reliable than the current ones, just cheaper for Microsoft to produce as 65nm CPUs are cheaper to make.

This means the 'Falcon' 360 you are waiting for will be no different than one now, only possibly cheaper. So expect a price cut.

Now, I thought I heard it was the BGA slightly warping a bit causing red rings. Also they might not have as many problems because less heat = less issues. I have to disagree with you there antibodies on the cooling issue. Pushing cool air over the console can only assist the removal of heat.(the nyko fan is lol worthy though) They just need to move that damned air inside the console. I had an engineer explain this to me like this-- Air not moving at 0degrees F will still burn up components, but air moving around at 90degrees F will allow that same component to survive. For as loud as the sonnavabitch dvd drive is, They might as well had a smaller, noisy fan go inside as well.

I wonder if MS even did a MTBF test.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited September 2007

Since the X is being used not as a letter but as the phonetic pronunciation of said letter (ex), you would say "an (ex)box."

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    syndalis wrote: »

Since the X is being used not as a letter but as the phonetic pronunciation of said letter (ex), you would say "an (ex)box."

I disagree!

*drives off*

Raynaga on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007

Phonetically, you're right. Dunno about grammar, though.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Say "a xbox" outloud. If you are a native English speaker, it should sound weird. Now say "an Xbox." Sounds much better, right?

A lot of abbreviations when they are pronounced use an instead of a.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    tsuJaelttilsanetsuJaelttilsane Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Say "a xbox" outloud. If you are a native English speaker, it should sound weird. Now say "an Xbox." Sounds much better, right?

A lot of abbreviations when they are pronounced use an instead of a.

According to Microsoft's home page, it's an XBox (360), even if that isn't grammatically correct (it does indeed sound right though).

tsuJaelttilsane on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Excuse me, I am about to explode.
    GOD DAMN IT WANNA IS NOT TO BE USED WHEN YOU WISH TO SAY YOU WANT SOMETHING! WANNA DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY! IT WORKS LIKE "Wanna go see Hot Fuzz?" OR SOMETHING! NOT LIKE IN THE TITLE! THE CORRECT TITLE WOULD BE " I want an Xbox 360, but..." CHANGE IT, NOW!

I'm done. Anyway, yes, get a 360.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    I want an x-box 360 to but I think what I am going to do is just settle for more Halo 2 online on my x-box and buy games for my wii.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    EliteLamer wrote: »
    I want an x-box 360 to but I think what I am going to do is just settle for more Halo 2 online on my x-box and buy games for my wii.

what I did was bought a 360 and no games, borrowed some games, and instead of getting new wii or ds games, I'm using this time to actually play some gcn, gba, and older ds games I still haven't beaten. It's great because I'm enjoying what I've missed but also allowing myself to get really excited about new stuff that I haven't gotten yet... this beats my normal rushing out, buying what I want, and not playing it right away anyway.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Excuse me, I am about to explode.
    GOD DAMN IT WANNA IS NOT TO BE USED WHEN YOU WISH TO SAY YOU WANT SOMETHING! WANNA DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY! IT WORKS LIKE "Wanna go see Hot Fuzz?" OR SOMETHING! NOT LIKE IN THE TITLE! THE CORRECT TITLE WOULD BE " I want an Xbox 360, but..." CHANGE IT, NOW!

I'm done. Anyway, yes, get a 360.

Hooray forh te grammar nazis.
    Yes, it was intentional

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    squirlysquirly Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The newest 360s which still have 90nm have various improvements to the motherboard and the like (Much like the Elites) and RRoD shouldn't really be a worry.

squirly on
    Diablo2 [US West; Ladder]: *DorianGraph [New/Main] *outsidewhale [Old]