As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help me prepare the greatest sundae ever.

switzky21switzky21 __BANNED USERS regular
edited October 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I need to get my ice cream on.

Here are the usable ingredients to the best of my knowledge:

Chocolate Ice Cream
Whipped Cream
Chocolate Whipped Cream
Chocolate Syrup
Peanut Butter
Sugar
Chocolate Powder

Inquire about further ingredients, and I'll see if we have them.

Now...Help me make the ultimate sundae.

switzky21 on

• Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Without strawberries and butterscotch syrup, your sundae is doomed to mediocrity.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    switzky21switzky21 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    We MAY have strawberries, but I'm not a fan.

And butterscotch, for whatever reason, is not a big thing here in Aus.

switzky21 on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    sprinkles

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Sugar? You'd put sugar on a sundae?

Get off the internet.

Quid on
  • Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Needs beer.

Dalboz on
  • Options
    TrevorTrevor Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    There is one thing that everyone overlooks that is the perfect ice cream topping. Maple Syrup. It's sweet and delicious and you will never stop thanking me for making your ice cream better forever and ever.

Trevor on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    There is nothing greater than a turtle sundae.

EDIT: This sentiment probably informs my atheism to a significant degree.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited October 2007
    I'd say take everything that's not ice cream or whipped cream, chuck into a blender with a bit of milk, and let 'er rip. Then pour the results over your ice cream and top artistically with whipped cream.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I prefer my ingredients to be relatively separated.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Banana would be nice. And of course ground cinnamon, or at the very least cinnamon sugar. Also, chill out (lol pun) on the chocolate ice cream. Use vanilla or something vanilla-based (like Cookies n' Cream or Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough) so it becomes a more adaptable base for whatever flavors the sundae comes to offer.

Past that.....butterschotch or caramel would be great. Crushed candy or cookie would be good, too.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Honey is also an amazing and underused ice cream topping.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Perhaps. If combined with graham-type stuff, I could see that as being pretty awesome.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Caramel.

Couscous on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited October 2007

Normally I'd agree, but there really isn't a good way to incorporate the peanut butter without mixing it with something else. I mean, if he wanted to get fancypants he could take a beater and whip the shit out of the peanut butter while pouring in the chocolate syrup, but the blender method is faster and the end result isn't going to taste much different.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Perhaps. If combined with graham-type stuff, I could see that as being pretty awesome.

That's not even necessary. Combined with simple vanilla ice cream, honey makes a delicious and amazing desert out of a mediocre one.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    kahlua

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    jacobkosh wrote: »

Normally I'd agree, but there really isn't a good way to incorporate the peanut butter without mixing it with something else. I mean, if he wanted to get fancypants he could take a beater and whip the shit out of the peanut butter while pouring in the chocolate syrup, but the blender method is faster and the end result isn't going to taste much different.

Ah, I misunderstood your original bit. I didn't see that you separated the ice cream.

Yeah, that'd work. Also though, if you can just force the PB through some kind of squirting device (I think you may be able to buy PB in such containers these days), the problem of big globs of peanut butter is avoided.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    Dude. H/A. I'm moving this.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So whose body will you be eating this off of?

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    ZonkytonkmanZonkytonkman Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    No Cat. This needs to go around to ALL the subforums.

We need to work together on this.

Zonkytonkman on
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Caramel. Milk. Good Vanilla Ice Cream (none of that Breyer's/plastic tub crap, I'm talking good, smooth, premium Vanilla Ice Cream). Blend into Milkshake.

But, if you must have a sundae:

Bananas. I know, it's technically a banana split or some bullshit, but a split is a form of sundae. Caramel and Hot Fudge sauce. Once again, good vanilla ice cream. Sprinkles. Sprinkles, damnit!

Do you really put sugar on your Ice Cream in Australia, or did you just list every possible topping you happen to have in your nearly bare pantry?

Alecthar on
  • Options
    DrFrylockDrFrylock Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    While I myself eschew chocolate for a lighter fruitier experience ({straw|rasp|black|blue}berries with butterscotch and whipped cream), you seem to be doing fine so far.

Consider also:

- Getting some waffle cones and breaking them up and putting large pieces around the edge
    - Shitty ice cream will ruin it all, so don't skimp.

DrFrylock on
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    DrFrylock wrote: »
    While I myself eschew chocolate for a lighter fruitier experience ({straw|rasp|black|blue}berries with butterscotch and whipped cream), you seem to be doing fine so far.

Consider also:

- Getting some waffle cones and breaking them up and putting large pieces around the edge
    - Shitty ice cream will ruin it all, so don't skimp.

*Emphasis mine

Finally, someone who understands. God, my family considers anything white and frozen to be adequate vanilla...*sigh*. And good point. I myself prefer the fruity syrups and butterscotch. And it couldn't be easier, boiling shit in sugar? I can even do it in a dorm kitchen. Raspberry...yummm. Of course, leave those berries in there for excellent flavor and texture.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    No peanuts. More caramel!

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Indeed, Cat, indeed.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Alecthar wrote: »

*Emphasis mine

Finally, someone who understands. God, my family considers anything white and frozen to be adequate vanilla...*sigh*.

This brings up a good point... what ARE some of the better brands of vanilla around that are easily obtainable?

Back in the days of school and non work, I remember making my own vanilla, but it wasn't very good. I was at the mercy of my moms ingredients and I know she uses vanillin, not vanilla (sadly I don't think she knows the difference).
    Obviously not a "great" ice cream there, as no real vanilla beans etc.

So, what's the scoop? Pun very much intended!

EclecticGroove on
  • Options
    Kate of LokysKate of Lokys Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Call me crazy, but... less is more, man. If you try to combine all that shit, you won't be able to taste any distinct flavours, and your teeth will be consumed by the burning pain of a thousand suns from the sheer concentration of sugar.

I would suggest, instead, dividing the ingredients to create several exquisite *little* sundaes instead of one enormous one.

Some recommendations... you may not have all of these ingredients, but some experimental substitution never hurt.

Grasshopper Pie

Ingredients:
    Mint chocolate chip ice cream
    Oreo cookie crumbs
    Marshmallow spread
    Creme de menthe
    Chocolate syrup
    Whipped cream

Instructions:
    1. Mix the Oreo crumbs with just enough chocolate syrup to hold them together. Press the resulting mixture into the bottom of a wide, flat bowl, to a depth of about 1/4". Put the bowl in the freezer to harden the crumb crust.
    2. In a blender, combine the ice cream, creme de menthe, and marshmallow spread. The resulting concotion should be soft enough to spread, but not liquidy. (If it's liquid, add more marshmallow, or stir more ice cream into it by hand.
    3. Spoon the ice cream mixture onto the crust, and press it in so it fills the bowl.
    4. Decorate the outer edge of the ice cream with whipped cream, and sprinkle any leftover Oreo crumbs over the ice cream filling.
    5. Eat with a fork, as if it were a delicious ice cream pie.

Frozen S'Mores

Ingredients:
    Heavenly hash or rocky road ice cream
    Graham crackers
    Marshmallow spread
    Squares of milk chocolate

Instructions:
    1. Spread each graham cracker with about 1" of ice cream, trying to keep the thickness even.
    2. Stick the half-done S'Mores in the freezer for about half an hour, so the ice cream gets nice and solid (so you have time to work with it).
    3. Lay the squares of chocolate out on a plate. Microwave them, *very carefully*, on low power. You don't want to melt them, you just want them to be gooey and soft.
    4. Pull the ice cream-coated graham crackers out of the freezer. Quickly spread a swipe of marshmallow topping on top of the ice cream, then use a thin, wide-bladed knife to scrape a square of chocolate off the plate and onto the top of the marshmallow. (Run the knife under very hot water to prevent sticking).
    5. Eat like a standard ice cream sandwich.

Peanut Butter and Banana Sandwich

Ingredients:
    Vanilla or peanut butter ice cream
    Chunky peanut butter
    Sliced bananas
    Chocolate syrup

Instructions:
    1. Press 1" of ice cream onto the bottom of a wide, shallow bowl.
    2. Cover the ice cream with banana slices.
    3. Drizzle chocolate sauce over the banana slices.
    4. Spread peanut butter over the whole thing.
    5. More chocolate sauce.
    6. Cover the peanut butter with banana slices.
    7. Add another layer of ice cream.
    8. Use a big spoon.

Iced Hot Chocolate

Ingredients:
    Vanilla ice cream
    Hot chocolate powder
    Marshmallow spread
    Chocolate sauce

Instructions:
    1. In a blender, combine the vanilla ice cream and the hot chocolate powder until they're thoroughly blended and just a bit runny, like a very thick milkshake.
    2. Pour the ice cream mixture into a frosted mug.
    3. Spoon a layer of marshmallow spread on top of the ice cream.
    4. Drizzle with chocolate sauce.
    5. Eat in front of a roaring fire, with long-handled spoons or an extremely thick straw.

Golden Kiwis

Ingredients:
    Hokey pokey ice cream (the real New Zealand kind with the tiny chips of sponge toffee, no fucking ripples) or vanilla
    Manuka honey
    Golden kiwifruit
    Arrowroot cookie crumbs

Instructions:
    1. Cut each kiwi in half, and carefully scoop out the flesh.
    2. In a blender, combine the ice cream, honey, cookie crumbs, and kiwifruit, until the mixture is smooth but still solid.
    3. Spoon the ice cream mixture into the empty, fuzzy kiwi skins, like you were making devilled eggs or stuffed green peppers, but awesomer.
    4. Sprinkle any leftover arrowroot crumbs over top, and drizzle with just a touch more honey.
    5. Eat very carefully. Real Kiwis eat the skins too, but lesser men need not attempt that, especially after drowning their tastebuds in the sugar of the filling.

Oh, Canada

Ingredients:
    Vanilla ice cream
    Maple syrup
    Sliced apples, of a sweet variety
    Sweetened granola, preferably not the stuff with enormous chunks of solid stuff in it

Instructions:
    1. Soak the apple slices in maple syrup, then put them in the microwave for 30-60 seconds (enough to heat and soften them, not enough to make them explode).
    2. Arrange the apple slices along the sides of a standard banana split dish, or any other long, narrow dish.
    3. Fill the dish with three big scoops of ice cream.
    4. Scatter a generous handful of granola over the top, then drizzle with maple syrup.

Kate of Lokys on
  • Options
    DrFrylockDrFrylock Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This brings up a good point... what ARE some of the better brands of vanilla around that are easily obtainable?

You've actually got many choices when it comes to Vanilla these days. Myself, I am a fan of Dreyer's Grand and Breyer's on occasion. Breyer's is very nice but has a bit of a bite to it and is more icey and milky. Dreyer's is more traditional.

Dreyer's Grand (the real stuff, not the yogurt or 'lite' stuff) now has no less than four flavors of Vanilla for sale: classic Vanilla, French Vanilla, Double Vanilla, and Vanilla Bean.

The classic vanilla is just that: very traditional, not overwhelming in any particular respect. The French Vanilla is richer. The Double Vanilla has intense vanilla flavor and is sweeter, and the Vanilla Bean has that 'tickles the back of your throat' vanilla thing going on. I prefer the Double Vanilla, but again it's a matter of personal taste.

DrFrylock on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    To be honest, I used to buy all of my Vanilla from German stores. They always had the best stuff. Ummm...Baskin Robbins makes a good ice cream. Look for stuff with "Premium" or similar on the label. This indicates higher quality. I'm a huge fan of "Good Eats" so here's the Alton Brown style run-down, it's a bit sciency:
    The higher quality the ice cream, the smaller and more uniform the distribution of ice crystals is. Also, there's much less air in the ice cream. Like, if you went out and bought a tub of Breyer's and a tub of Baskin Robbins for the same price, chances are the BR would be a smaller tub, but that the actual melted volume of the ice cream would be very similar. Premium ice cream has a smoother texture, without those irritating chunks of ice, and freezes softer. It also melts more slowly. This all has to do with the more stable structure of the ice crystals in the ice cream.

In short, it does matter, get something that likely has more vanilla flavor (look for ice creams with actual, you know, flecks of vanilla bean).

Also, Kate of Lokys, are you some kind of Ice Cream wizard? Some kind of magnificent hot fudge wielding sorcerer?

Alecthar on
  • Options
    burntheladleburntheladle Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Hot fudge sauce: 10 marshmellows, 1 cup thickened cream, 200g cooking chocolate (I prefer dark, but it's all your preference). Throw in pan, melt, don't let it boil.

Pour over icecream + raspberries.

So good.

burntheladle on
    What would Zombie Pirate LeChuck Do?
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    You'll need some burnt almonds. The kind that have been roasted just with sugar and nothing else. They go so well with vanilla icecream.

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    is toasted coconut here
    cuz get some goddamn coconut
    and toast it
    DO IT
    FUCKER

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The blood of your enemies!
    But seriously, try this: Mint sugar, find some mint leaves and crush them along with some sugar in a mortar and pestle.

Falx on
  • Options
    wasted pixelswasted pixels Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Also, Kate of Lokys, are you some kind of Ice Cream wizard? Some kind of magnificent hot fudge wielding sorcerer?

Miss Lokys has prepared ice cream for me before.

Like, in person.

Oh, it was good. :3

wasted pixels on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    You could probably make a peanut butter sauce by looking up a recipe online, but let's be honest, you don't want to cook just to have ice cream - so you may just want to skip the PB.

You know what is REALLY tasty - but not quite a sundae? Take a sherbet (I like rainbow myself), put it in a bowl and fill the rest of the bowl about midway with Sprite/7Up/Sierra Mist. Absolutely the most refreshing thing ever on a hot summer day.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I was always a fan of a warm brownie under some vanilla ice cream, topped with whipped cream. then chocolate syrup and nuts or strawberries

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku