As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Philco Record Player Rotation

snorepezsnorepez Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I recently purchased a used Philco record player (exactly like this one: http://columbus.craigslist.org/ele/444432180.html) but I cannot for the life of me get a record to play.

The main problem I'm having is that I simply can't get the record to rotate. The stylus/needle and speakers are working fine, as I carefully, quickly tested them by placing the needle on the record and manually rotating the record, which produced some sound.

The steps I take are:
Place the record on the turntable
Switch the function dial to Phono
Turn the unit on via the volume dial
--At this point, the record should be rotating, correct?--
Set the RPM to 33 (for the 12" I tested)
Placed the stylus on the outer edge of the record
----No rotation, no sound----

Any one have any experience with this specific record player? Or any general rule-of-thumb record player tips?
Thank you!

snorepez on

• Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    See if there's any way to change the belt. Usually record players have a belt that turns the actual record platter.

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, you might be able to pick up the entire platter that the record sits on, then look to see if the belt is broken.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I have no idea how to get to the belt. The plate doesn't lift up, and the innards are all sealed shut inside the wooden case...

The woman I purchased this from tested the record player in front of me just last Sunday, and it worked perfectly. Tonight was the first time I even attempted to play a record by myself, yet it doesn't work. Can the belt simply break without it being used for an entire week?

snorepez on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    It could have jumped off from the transit.

In theory, the turntable should start spinning once you pick the needle up off it's post, if everything else is on.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Record players are finicky. Find a way to open it up, it wouldn't be build without this option.
    Maybe call the woman you bought it from and see if she knows how.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    TechnicalityTechnicality Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    If the turntable is getting no power this will also happen. Is there a seperate power switch for the turntable hidden somewhere by any chance?

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

• Options
    edited October 2007
    The woman is being nooncompliant, probably because she thinks I want a refund.

I managed to lift the turn table plate, and lo and behold, the belt was not broken, but it was detached.

But I still have no idea how to reattach the belt. Someone elsewhere said that it wraps around two posts, which I see, but the belt looks to large for the distance between the two posts.

I will post a picture of the inside when I get home from work.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions so far.

snorepez on
  • Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The belt might be worn out but sometimes if you just turn it inside out and put it back on it'll last for another few years.

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    Post the picture when you get home and someone will probably pick out the answer. There may be a third point the belt wraps around.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    My first thought was there is a third post somewhere as well.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Thanks for waiting everyone.

Here a slew of pictures I took with my shoddy webcam - sorry about the quality.

rp.jpg
    rp2.jpg
    rp4.jpg
    rp5.jpg
    rp6.jpg
    rp7.jpg
    rp3.jpg

I have a feeling those two horizontal white pieces may be the third post. I'm not sure though.
    Any ideas?

Gratzi! :)

snorepez on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Those pics are pretty blurry, but I would have to guess that the belt goes around the small white post (the one sticking up from the black disc) the tall metal post, and the white hub on top of that white plastic piece. Does it fit snugly there?

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    It might feel like you have to pull to make it fit, it does need some tension after all.

Improvolone on