Options

[OOC] Chronicles of Odam (thread needs world-builders)

• Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I dunno how much Wikiteering us players are supposed to do.

Anyway, I wasn't complaining. :p

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    Legoman05Legoman05 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I dunno how much Wikiteering us players are supposed to do.

Anyway, I wasn't complaining. :p

Ahh, no wikiing is needed. Just mention something about the liches and such, and we'll go scampering off all 'what the fuck'

Legoman05 on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    "I hear the liches are what happens when gnomes eat too much flava beans."

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Anyway, Gnomes typically cant read anything but magical script[which isnt really seen as reading], and there is no written language. Histories are passed orally, with the help of the keepers.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    You can make contributions as players too.

Though I think it's fun if you allow a good deal of the canon to be written without your direct input into the wiki... isn't it more fun to see how others interpret your words?

ALSO: Hylain, G-dong and Arcanis -- make listen checks to see if your characters can hear Laycirra.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    See, that's what I'm talking about Goum.

And 'Shoe, do you want a roll for the veracity of that 'elves on boats' comment?

Legoman05 on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Legoman05 wrote: »
    See, that's what I'm talking about Goum.

And 'Shoe, do you want a roll for the veracity of that 'elves on boats' comment?

my post does indeed elaborate on his, and I am an elf

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Uhh, who is inside, and who is outside?

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Everyone is inside except for me.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Neil, Tyr and Christine are inside, as I understand it.

Also, this first roll bodes well for me. :P

Hylianbunny on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Christine and Laycirra have heard each other.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I probably wont be updating any pages except my own page with stuff i want to add, ill just make comments about things here so that people can take off on them, if they want clarification they can ask me, otherwise not, and they can run with it.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I dunno doesn't using OOC to define stuff defeat the purpose?

Also what do you do when wiki stuff steps on your character concept a bit?

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Not a clue, we will get there eventually.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Change the wiki, leave a comment on the page.

If you have a character concept in mind, wiki it out on your character section... change the sidebar link to go to a page just for your character, and then put a link to myth-weavers inside of that.

Legoman05 on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    So, is it up for us to decide how we got into the library that aparently isnt elven?

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Legoman05 wrote: »

Change the wiki, leave a comment on the page.

If you have a character concept in mind, wiki it out on your character section... change the sidebar link to go to a page just for your character, and then put a link to myth-weavers inside of that.

Exactly. Your character is the one thing we can't touch. So while we can define what an elf is, we cannot decide who Tyr is. Also, we take what you give us. So if you have something specific in my mind, voice it.

Shamus on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Well, I edited the elf page and threw out a comment

I just figured the stuff tied to your character was immutable (i took this to mean we as players got to define our races in general too)

so I have some specific cool ideas in mind, summarized in my comment on the elf page

if that's wrong please tell me but that idea is my darling

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Well, I edited the elf page and threw out a comment

I just figured the stuff tied to your character was immutable (i took this to mean we as players got to define our races in general too)

so I have some specific cool ideas in mind, summarized in my comment on the elf page

if that's wrong please tell me but that idea is my darling

I like your idea, but I think you're stepping in on on the realm of the contributors. It's our job to define the world you guys speak of, including the races.

I like your idea on the elf you posted, so I'm up for keeping it canon.

Shamus on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    fair enough, I get to keep my candy

That's all I really wanted to establish though, that the elf paladins ride gryphons and protect the big steam-ship cities

and

elves that aren't gay

but that might be pushing it for some people :P

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

That's all I really wanted to establish though, that the elf paladins ride gryphons and protect the big steam-ship cities

and

elves that aren't gay

I think it's a cool bent on the elves as a whole.

Maybe, for once, they won't be a race in decline. :P

Shamus on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    They're a race in decline because everyone hates them!

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

and

elves that aren't gay

See, that's cool, just mention something about it and we'll scamper off, prose it up, and make it happen. Nothing is written in stone if it's just expository fluff.

Legoman05 on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    O.K. some ground rules we need to agree on. If these dont hold true, then i need to know, because i am operating under the assumption that they do.

1. Players dont get to decide the immediate surroundings. For instance, the DM has said that the hallway is safe except for the burning tapestrys, but Arcanis is saying we are about to get burned up. Salt cant seem to see the door, and nor can Arcanis because they are tapping on a wall for some reason.

If we are playing free-form then we might as well not have sheets right?

The excercize is to create a world through the players actions, but its still the DM creating the adventure.

2. Players need to be aware of every immediate thing that their characters ought to be aware of. If we arent then we have to make things up to do and then its "might as well be playing free-form" area. Such, this would probably include why we are in a burning building and if we knew anything about the building.

We can even come up with many reasons, but a simple "you are in a library for some reason, its burning you know of two exits, its surrounded by a forest, you dont know whether or not the forest is on fire" would suffice.

But as it is right now, i have no clue what is going on and it just seems like instead of the DM deciding the adventure, the players are, when i thought the idea was

DM: provides adventure

Players: Provide world information starters.

Wiki'ers: Expand.

edit: I dont mean to pick on anyone, but i really cant seem to figure out what is happening and what is supposed to be happening.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Salt cant seem to see the door
    Because nothing has been said to suggest that Laycirra is near the doorway you guys are at. If the door you're behind is right where I'm at, you probably wouldn't've needed to make listen checks to hear my yelling.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I added some dead links to the wiki. Mostly just drawing from the material you guys provided in the IC thread and your character sheets.

I vote we keep the gods undefined just yet in this venture. I'd like to see the players define them a bit more before we start.

Shamus on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    also, it's simply flavor

look at horseshoe's saga game, the idea is to make a flowing, fun narrative (in my mind)

I could be fuck-all wrong

also, stone gets hot

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    edit: you guys posted a bunch since my last F5... rereading.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Goumindong wrote: »
    O.K. some ground rules we need to agree on. If these dont hold true, then i need to know, because i am operating under the assumption that they do.

1. Players dont get to decide the immediate surroundings. For instance, the DM has said that the hallway is safe except for the burning tapestrys, but Arcanis is saying we are about to get burned up. Salt cant seem to see the door, and nor can Arcanis because they are tapping on a wall for some reason.

If we are playing free-form then we might as well not have sheets right?

Yes, you're not deciding upon immediate surroundings. You start off in a burning building. What kind of building it is and where it is exactly I'd prefer to have the players and wiki'ers develop.
    2. Players need to be aware of every immediate thing that their characters ought to be aware of. If we arent then we have to make things up to do and then its "might as well be playing free-form" area. Such, this would probably include why we are in a burning building and if we knew anything about the building.

We can even come up with many reasons, but a simple "you are in a library for some reason, its burning you know of two exits, its surrounded by a forest, you dont know whether or not the forest is on fire" would suffice.

But as it is right now, i have no clue what is going on and it just seems like instead of the DM deciding the adventure, the players are, when i thought the idea was

DM: provides adventure

Players: Provide world information starters.

Wiki'ers: Expand.

edit: I dont mean to pick on anyone, but i really cant seem to figure out what is happening and what is supposed to be happening.

Yes, that is the idea. It also helps if you decide that you want to look around and such... I don't want to place too much there in your immediate vicinity right away, so if you'll give me a moment to let a couple of things develop I'm sure we'll all end up somewhere eventually.

But yes... building on fire with books... okay it's a library... also elfin... door has been sealed with an arcane lock... halfling is a bit surprised to find it such a place in the middle of a forest she is familiar with... working it out as we go along and the context starts to develop.

I sometimes like to throw players into an encounter right from the get-go without much exposition to speak of... so when the setting hasn't been developed yet it's decidedly vague... but at the same time I think that's kind of cool... so just go for it.

And yes, you do need character sheets -- you'll be fighting things soon enough. Very soon, in fact.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Horse, you have to do a better job of describing the place. The last time you gave us info we were in a hallway with only tapestrys that could burn, and now we are in a room with shelves.

Basicially, anything you dont mention we, or at least I, am going to have to assume doesnt exist in the immediate area.

Feels kinda like we are running to a 20 foot wide pit here since we dont know how we got into the area, or what we were doing there or anything. Not even a vague idea of where you are wanting to take the plot.

edit:

Basically i am looking at this as

DM: Defines the plot[because he gets to determine immediate surroundings and NPC actions]

Players: Play the plot, define the world

Wikipediers: Create the world, Expand the world

I know the "you start off in an encounter" situation, but usually you have some sort of idea of what you were or are supposed to be doing.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    You generally would, but since we're working from a completely blank slate, it's kind of in your hands. Hell, maybe your guys' characters have as little idea what you're doing there as the players do. It may be intentional.

This isn't freeform, and if playing in the Saga game has shown me anything, it's that Horseshoe knows how to take what the players give him and make it into something awesome. However, it's important to keep in mind that (from what I have seen, and Horseshoe can refute this himself if I'm off,) he does rely on the players to help lead the plot.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    also, everything I have written is flavor details that I'm sure horseshoe doesn't mind

Adding flavor bits is fun and I like to write; I won't write in a ladder or anything and Horseshoe doesn't need to make us diagrams

so

uh

ease off

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Horse, you have to do a better job of describing the place. The last time you gave us info we were in a hallway with only tapestrys that could burn, and now we are in a room with shelves.

Noted. Will do better next time. But it's hard to see shit through roaring flames anyway... one of the reasons I stuck three of you in a burning building and the other one of you racing through a forest with smoke in her eyes is that I don't know what the world looks like in exact terms either.
    Not even a vague idea of where you are wanting to take the plot.

Ha! Me neither!
    I know the "you start off in an encounter" situation, but usually you have some sort of idea of what you were or are supposed to be doing.

Hey, I didn't know where you guys were until you said so. I put you in "burning building with books". Coulda been a church, coulda been a mansion, coulda been a kitchen... turns out it was an elfin library... now we got something, things will get more descriptive from here on out, and increasingly so as the world begins to take shape.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    If i was teleported in, i would at least know it. If i was looking for something and a fire started, i would at least know it. If i entered the building in anyway, i would at least know how i entered the building. I would know at least where one exit was and whether or not i could get there. But these are "immediate surrounding" issues, and so are handled by the DM. Its not my right to say "I leave the way i came in", but we should know at least these things.

I mean, i dont know if i know the folks next to me, i dont know how i got there, i dont know how long its been burning. These arent things that we can define.

Take Ponys start for example. I know i am in a bar or ought to be in a bar, i get to make up the reason why, i know who is in the bar and i know things about the surrounding, i knew the bar was in a city.

With this it was just "you are in a forest that is on fire, or in a building in a forest with books that is on fire, you know nothing about the area or what it looks like."

edit:

O.K. so lets think about the things you can do, because while it isnt your job to define the history it has to be your job to define the immediate world. The number of exits in a building, what we can and cant see, what is burning, what isnt.

The opening post might have looked like

"Slam", a beam came down in the room, sheets of paper are burning and the ashes make it hard to see past the shelves, you can see a hallway made of stone with stone supports to your left, and a door leading to the main hall you just came from on the other side of a collaplsed and burning shelf. You cant see much else without taking time you desperatly do not have.

Otherwise it starts out with

"you are in a room, its on fire, what do you do?"

To which the only thing we can ask is "what is in the room, what do we see". Dont waste the time to make us ask, just tell us and ignore it if its if you think its not going to be important.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    If i was teleported in, i would at least know it. If i was looking for something and a fire started, i would at least know it. If i entered the building in anyway, i would at least know how i entered the building. I would know at least where one exit was and whether or not i could get there. But these are "immediate surrounding" issues, and so are handled by the DM. Its not my right to say "I leave the way i came in", but we should know at least these things.

I mean, i dont know if i know the folks next to me, i dont know how i got there, i dont know how long its been burning. These arent things that we can define.

Take Ponys start for example. I know i am in a bar or ought to be in a bar, i get to make up the reason why, i know who is in the bar and i know things about the surrounding, i knew the bar was in a city.

With this it was just "you are in a forest that is on fire, or in a building in a forest with books that is on fire, you know nothing about the area or what it looks like."

not to be snarky but

drama

and also, we have no fucking clue what this world is and it's better than starting in a tavern

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I am just trying to get assumptions down so that as it progresses we have as few problems as possible. For instance the DM could have rolled init for all of us and then posted an order, it would have saved us 3-4 posts of "my init is"

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    All of those posts also made room for RP. :^:

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The whole idea is creating the world. Why not create the opening setting?

Hylianbunny on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I'm goin' to bed now, but, uh, I really hope we can get the drama out of our systems. This is going to be awesome. :^:

INeedNoSalt on