As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Good "Conspiracy" Stories

WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood varietyRegistered User regular
edited October 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm playing Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions, and following the manga "20th Century Boys", and am thoroughly entertained by both. Anybody have any other good stories involving underdogs, a dark secret, ignorant masses, and a diabolical villain?

Wearingglasses on

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Oh, hey, I just recommended this in the book thread and you can't get more definitive that that - it fulfils all your criteria!

Janson on
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The wikipedia entry for that does sound fascinating. I shall try to get a hold of a copy. :)

It mentions Richard Hannay being cast in four more novels... will they be as good as the first?

Wearingglasses on
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    In my opinion, they're not. The stories are longer, more convoluted, and - dare I say - a bit boring at times ;) Plus Richard Hannay gets a wife and the female characters aren't wonderfully written, the first book has no women in it at all.

But the first book stands alone really well, and if you're that curious you could always see about borrowing the others or getting them second hand. They're still fairly highly rated on amazon, so I guess others like them.

Janson on
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Hmmm. I guess I better read the first before wanting to find out about the rest, then. Thanks!

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Wearingglasses on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Snow Crash might also be a nice pick, if you like SF.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Deus Ex a million zillion times over!

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

I thought he was looking for books.

I mean, everyone knows that Deus Ex is awesome.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    The Company, a book about the history of the CIA might be to your liking.

Oh, and The Illuminatus Trilogy if you want something more batshit.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Daedalus wrote: »

I thought he was looking for books.

I mean, everyone knows that Deus Ex is awesome.

Nope, he's looking for "stories." And really, you can't top Deus Ex.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I saw it a long time ago, and recently heard Kevin Smith recommending it (not believing it, just saying that it's a riveting watch) of a documentary thing called "loose change", which I believe is a "the government did 9/11" thing. It's a really entertaining piece of film, regardless of wether you believe it or not.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I saw it a long time ago, and recently heard Kevin Smith recommending it (not believing it, just saying that it's a riveting watch) of a documentary thing called "loose change", which I believe is a "the government did 9/11" thing. It's a really entertaining piece of film, regardless of wether you believe it or not.

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=911_morons

If you're looking for a conspiracy theory, you really can't top this.

xraydog on