As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

JRPGs/SRPG/Japanese games in 2008 - Who's getting what?

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The Walrus wrote: »
    Culdcept saga dissapoint anyone else? I cannot get immersed in this, gameplay is so so, story is awful

Are you actually playing Culdcept for the story?

BURN HIM

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    Shit, Harvest Moon too? I thought that month was just going to be reserved for Smash Bros.

It's just the girl version of DS. Pretty skipable unless you worship the game series like Teh Jeeziz.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Phew. Yeah... I think I'm going to save myself $30. Any idea when the Wii version will be out?

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Phew. Yeah... I think I'm going to save myself $30. Any idea when the Wii version will be out?

I read Q2, I hear Summer or later. Harvest Moon DS: Island of Happiness will be out before that tho I would think.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    If/when Etrian Odyssey 2 comes out, it will be mine.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    http://www.joystiq.com/2008/02/28/disgaea-3-to-power-level-for-ps3-this-august/

Disgaea 3 announced for the US, August.

Might actually have to buy a PS3, we'll see.

Edit: If so, I'll be aiming for a used 20GB with backwards compatibility, and just throw a 200 gig SATA HDD in it.

Also: http://heroticism.blogspot.com/

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    KiTA wrote: »
    http://www.joystiq.com/2008/02/28/disgaea-3-to-power-level-for-ps3-this-august/

Disgaea 3 announced for the US, August.

Might actually have to buy a PS3, we'll see.

Edit: If so, I'll be aiming for a used 20GB with backwards compatibility, and just throw a 200 gig SATA HDD in it.

Also: http://heroticism.blogspot.com/

Looks like that MGS4 PS3 bundle will have full backward compatibility as well.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I thought the MGS4 PS3 bundle will have the 80GB PS3, giving it just limited BC..

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I thought the MGS4 PS3 bundle will have the 80GB PS3, giving it just limited BC..

Dunno, I just heard it has BC.

http://www.destructoid.com/mgs4-ps3-bundle-has-everything-you-need-including-backwards-compatibility-72509.phtml

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Magic Pink wrote: »

http://www.destructoid.com/mgs4-ps3-bundle-has-everything-you-need-including-backwards-compatibility-72509.phtml

From the site you linked:
    Yes, similar to the Motorstorm bundle, the new MGS4 bundle features an 80GB PS3 with some PS2 backwards compatibility.

Most PS2 games do work though. They have a list up on the Playstation site listing what does and doesn't work.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Ugh. I know it seems stupid to feel worried about hearing "some PS2 BC" but damn, if I pay $400 (or is it $500? I don't even know anymore) I'd kinda like to have the ability to play all of the PS2 games on the market.

Oh well, I'm not completely interested in MGS4 anyway. (Snake isn't allowed to get old!) So I might pick up a PS3 late this year, and pick up MGS4 in the bargain bin. I'm not good at these games (well, MGS3 I was terrible at... I beat the other two no problem) anyway.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Fig-D wrote: »

From the site you linked:
    Yes, similar to the Motorstorm bundle, the new MGS4 bundle features an 80GB PS3 with some PS2 backwards compatibility.

Most PS2 games do work though. They have a list up on the Playstation site listing what does and doesn't work.

Ah. I can't read the site, it was linked on another news site.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Tw4winTw4win Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Not to Hijack the thread but has anyone given a single compelling reason why every PS3 doesn't have full hardware BC like the original 60 GB ones do? The PS2 possibly has the largest collection of games of any console so you'd think that Sony would want as many people to experience it as possible. Besides, it can't cost that much to put hardware BC in the machines...

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Tw4win wrote: »
    Not to Hijack the thread but has anyone given a single compelling reason why every PS3 doesn't have full hardware BC like the original 60 GB ones do? The PS2 possibly has the largest collection of games of any console so you'd think that Sony would want as many people to experience it as possible. Besides, it can't cost that much to put hardware BC in the machines...

Because Sony wants it's PS3 users to buy and play PS3 games, not PS2 games.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Somewhat flawed logic on their part since if the console had full BC people could by BOTH and make Sony even more money.

Personally, I have one of the original 60 GB PS3s so it doesn't really matter much to me. However, I can't help but thinking about a possible future when that machine breaks. What am I going to do then? :)

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Somewhat flawed logic on their part since if the console had full BC people could by BOTH and make Sony even more money.

Personally, I have one of the original 60 GB PS3s so it doesn't really matter much to me. However, I can't help but thinking about a possible future when that machine breaks. What am I going to do then? :)

ARE YOU QUESTIONING SONY'S LOGIC OMG BURN HIM

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    cheezcheez Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

You know, I think Sony should be ecstatic if I want to pay $500 to play my PS2 games.

cheez on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    cheez wrote: »

You know, I think Sony should be ecstatic if I want to pay $500 to play my PS2 games.

Well, remember they make 0 moneez on the PS3. They do make some on the games and a good chunk of the PS2 games out anymore will be sold used. So 0 moneez on those as well.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Well, remember they make 0 moneez on the PS3. They do make some on the games and a good chunk of the PS2 games out anymore will be sold used. So 0 moneez on those as well.

Hasn't it been established that they're making a small bit of profit on PS3s by now?

cheez on
  • Options
    MashalotMashalot Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Uhhh no way. Losing less, yes.

Mashalot on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

I'd think that they would make some money on Blu Ray too...

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Mashalot wrote: »

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080207-ibm-shrinks-cell-to-45nm-cheaper-ps3s-will-follow.html supports me. Do you have a source?

cheez on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080207-ibm-shrinks-cell-to-45nm-cheaper-ps3s-will-follow.html supports me. Do you have a source?

Actually, it doesn't support you at all. It just says they're going to be getting cheaper to produce. Not that they're being finally being sold for profit.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    There has never been a legitimate estimate as to the current manufacturing costs of the PS3. All we know is that a year ago they cost around $850 to produce. So for them to be turning a profit on them that would require more than a $350-450 costs reduction in just over a year.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    MashalotMashalot Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Well it's hard to find a source since, you know, 'PS3 still not profitable' isn't exactly newsworthy.

If it were to be profitable, however, you can bet your butt Sony would be shouting it from every rooftop possible, making a big to-do about it with the investors, etc. It's possible I could have missed it but...

Mashalot on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I was under the impression that the only console hardware that was profitable to make right now was the Wii. I think Nintendo makes about $40 on each Wii sold. I'm not sure about the 360 but the last time I checked MS was still losing money on the machines.

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Actually, it doesn't support you at all. It just says they're going to be getting cheaper to produce. Not that they're being finally being sold for profit.

You're right, that article doesn't actually mention whether there's any profit involved. I guess I fixated on the word in the kotaku article I got that link from.

Anyway, I think Sony would be happy to sell PS3s on the strength of the PS2 library, profit or no, because it yields a greater install base. But that's all speculative, and we seem to have derailed this thread substantially. So on that note...

I just started playing Disgaea 2 and I'm loving it, despite not being the biggest SRPG fan. The humor and characters are really keeping me interested in plowing through. I'm thinking Disgaea 3 is a definite for me.

cheez on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The whole deal with the loss of BC on the new PS3 consoles was a godsend for me. Now I can be satisfied with my 360 instead and use the money I would have spent on a PS3 on a pair of PS2's instead. Just in case my fatboy PS2 decides to give up the ghost for me. If Sony were to come to their senses (Bwahahaha!) and reinstate the BC, then I might buy a PS3.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    fallaxdracofallaxdraco Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Silpheed wrote: »
    The whole deal with the loss of BC on the new PS3 consoles was a godsend for me. Now I can be satisfied with my 360 instead and use the money I would have spent on a PS3 on a pair of PS2's instead. Just in case my fatboy PS2 decides to give up the ghost for me. If Sony were to come to their senses (Bwahahaha!) and reinstate the BC, then I might buy a PS3.

Um, the MGS4 bundle will be backwards compatible.

fallaxdraco on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Not fully.

[K_A]Also, the Gaijin box has little or nothing to do with Japanese games, so I don't get why we're even discussing it in my superior thread. [/K_A]

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Not fully.

[K_A]Also, the Gaijin box has little or nothing to do with Japanese games, so I don't get why we're even discussing it in my superior thread. [/K_A]

But Japan has already made their own 360 which is infinitely superior to every current console on the market:
    The SEXBOX360! (I'm too tired to dig up a link)

That means that Japan loves the 360 so much,they actually plagiarize it and awesome it up.
    Do you see a "Gaystation 3" anywhere? No,you don't,that's why it FAILS.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Since the school aspect of P3 was pretty entertaining for me I was looking at Mana Khemia, since it also uses the school aspect as a gameplay element. Has anyone had a shot at this game yet?

Silpheed on
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'd be more excited for it if not for Gust...

Frosteey on
  • Options
    UjinUjin Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Ultimate Jump Stars II Turbo edition.

Ujin on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    This OP sucks.

Lacks loads of S and J RPGs and even has some completely hilarious additions.

Sheep on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Well...I mean..."Japanese" games is a pretty broad subject to base your topic on in the first place. >_>

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    JouleJoule Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Well the OP hasn't been updated since November last year so it's pretty out of date.

I suppose it's because the OP is banned on what seems to be a regular basis.

Yeah it is probably too broad a subject. Probably should of stuck to just jrpgs/srpgs.

Joule on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I just bought Soma Bringer, a DS action RPG that plays very much like Diablo.

It's excellent.

071012_soma02.jpg

Here is a link to a good Neogaf OP on the subject - I don't want to nick/copy their work, so have a look.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245778

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited March 2008
    Frosteey wrote: »
    I'd be more excited for it if not for Gust...

I don't have any idea what this means.

I'm bumping this thread 'cause I saw the Mana Khemia ad on the PA front page and was kind of interested. I know nothing about the game but am a sucker for JRPGs, especially ones that look like they could have been made ten years ago for the ps1.

Somebody sell me on it.

Whippy on
  • Options
    Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Mana Khemia is developed by Gust. If you liked Atelier Iris 1, 2, 3 or Ar Tonelico, then it is for you. But they are all very similar and they get accused of the "cookie cutter" RPG syndrome quite often.

Dr Mario Kart on