As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DMAC's Mutants and or Masterminds Stuff

DMACDMAC Come at me, bro!Moderator mod
edited November 2007 in Artist's Corner
Man, I sure don't get to post much around here these days. The price of success I guess. Most of the drawing I do these days is for clients. I have contracts saying that I won't post anything online until after the book is released and at that point I've usually forgotten about it and I feel kind of lame posting stuff that's already "set in stone".

Anyway, I've been doing a number of illustrations for Green Ronin's Mutants & Masterminds RPG and I finally remembered to get permission to post some of it online. These are all from books that are already on shelves.

The first couple are from a book called Instant Superheroes which was a book of hero archetypes to help players build characters.

The Gumshoe (Get it?):

gumshoe2.jpg

The Swashbuckler (I was calling this guy "The Knave of Hearts". Sometimes they give me a detailed description, sometimes it's just "guy with sword" so I'll come up with a concept myself.):

swashbuckler2.jpg

The Weapon Master (My Street Fighter homage):

weaponmaster2.jpg

The Duplicator (I based my concept for this one on Thing 1 and Thing 2 from The Cat in the Hat with their red suits and blue hair.):

duplicator2.jpg

I've got some more from other books that I'll post when I have a chance.

DMAC on

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Those look awesome, really clean style. :^:

The arms of the weapon master and swashbuckler look kind of weird though, I don't know if the arms are too short or that the shading is a bit off.

Still, really awesome, I wish I could draw like you.

Aldo on
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I love them...but i'm wondering if you know there's a character called "DupliKate" in the comic book invincible that basically looks just like that.
    the first one is my favorite. i think the gum is a great touch.

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    lilchingch0nglilchingch0ng Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    i'm going to second the comment on the foreshortening issues on the swashbuckler and the weapon master. Perhaps some lightweight exaggeration on your next work will help with these issues. btw, your duplicator has um...very manly body proportions o_O

i think that the colored outline you used works well with the gumshoe character, since you tie it into his shadow; it gives it a nice stylized touch. the others though, ...well it doesn't detract from the image, so i guess its not a bad thing, but it would have been nice to see you continue the outline to shadow trend you used in the gumshoe design.

anyways, good to see your stuff pop up again around these parts. its always a pleasure to see your new illustrations.

*edit*
    heh, i said "lightweight"

line weight !!!

lilchingch0ng on
  • Options
    Kuro HouKuro Hou Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I fall off the face of the earth, and when I return, you have fresh things to share. How very cool.

If I may dissect your Street Fighter homage:
    I see a lot of elements of Ryu and his copycat characters (Ken, Akuma, Sakura, etc.) especially in the face and accessories, but I have to know. Why is he wearing Chun-Li's dress? And with footwear that doesn't match none the less.

I like the gumshoe, but what possible powers could he have? Does he have the "drink black coffee", "chain smoke", "brood", and "slowly distance myself from my wife" skills? Or do those qualify as feats now?

I LOVE the Swashbuckler, but it must take him hella long time to get dressed.

The Duplicator is pretty cool. I like the idea of going with the Dr. Seuss colors. Very cool.

The only other question I have is what's with the extra color outline? It's kind of distracting on the headband tails that are flowing from the middle two characters. The other two, not so much.

Kuro Hou on
    "For a man who looks like a garden gnome, you sure have a lot of demands."

I dare you to make less sense.
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    those are pretty rad. i especially like the gumshoe. only thing i see though, his extended leg looks peculiar, like it has improper sizing/foreshortening/positioning, etc. other than that, superb work. i love the style.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, the Gumshoe's legs bother me. I've had plenty of time to notice all of the things that bug me about these pieces...

The color stroke thing was something I had seen somewhere and wanted to try. Some of them work better than others. I used it on my pieces for that book but haven't used it since.

Here are some more pieces from a newer book of teenage heroes called "Hero High".

The Protege (a Robin-esque archetype character).

protege2.jpg

Whoop-Ant (think Impulse meets Ant Man).

whoopant3.jpg

Chess Club (a villain who commands an army of chess-themed robots).

chessclub2.jpg

The Child of Darness. Another iconic character. I was calling this one "Voodoo Child". Sort of going for a goth/Baron Samedi look.

darkness2.jpg

The Envoy. A foreign exchange student from a society of warrior monks.

envoy2.jpg

DMAC on
  • Options
    Big Luke NastyBig Luke Nasty Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    You forgot the "k" in "The child of Darkness," and Chess Club is the coolest villain ever.

Big Luke Nasty on
    rawr
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    No, she's the Child of Darness.

Bob Darness is her dad.

DMAC on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Oh. Fair enough. Chess Club still rock though.

Big Luke Nasty on
    rawr
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    i like whoopant a lot. are those scanned inks or vector?

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Scanned inks.

DMAC on
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Chess Club is fantastic. I could see an awesome videogame being made where you control his pieces and solve various puzzles.

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It might be from the glare on my laptop screen in here, but on the Duplicator picture in the OP, the angle of thing 3's arm makes it look like it could be coming out of thing 2's shoulder.

Just saying, because damn I love your work.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Kazhiim wrote: »
    Chess Club is fantastic. I could see an awesome videogame being made where you control his pieces and solve various puzzles.

Sort of like portal, but instead you have a checkered pattern on the floor and you have to solve puzzles with legal chess moves.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    NotACrook wrote: »
    It might be from the glare on my laptop screen in here, but on the Duplicator picture in the OP, the angle of thing 3's arm makes it look like it could be coming out of thing 2's shoulder.

Just saying, because damn I love your work.

Yeah, I see what you mean. There's an almost tangent there.

DMAC on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    That's the word I wanted to use, but I didn't know if it was an art term and I thought I would be mocked.

I get mocked a lot.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Chess Club:^::^:

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    In later levels, there could be opposing chess teams trying to take your dudes out. Vaguely reminiscent of Harry Potter in the first book to me.

On that note, in a local coffee shop tonight, I got whooped five times straight by some old guy with bad teeth and worse B.O.

Big Luke Nasty on
    rawr
  • Options
    vrempirevrempire Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    That's really awesome and neat piece of work.
    you should get handsome pay for this quality art, DMAC.

vrempire on
    vrembanner.gif
  • Options
    RackhamRackham Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Nice work. The chess club villian is awesome

Very funny concpet

Rackham on
  • Options
    HewnHewn Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Add me to the list of Chess Club enthusiasts.

Hewn on
    Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • Options
    hijinksensuehijinksensue Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Your character designs are very well done. Great concept and execution.

hijinksensue on
    HijiNKS Ensue
    geek comic
    www.hijinksensue.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Thanks guys. The character/costume designs are my favorite things to work on. I did a couple of "illustrations" for the Hero High book too.

A female character being disarmingly adorable:

disarming3.jpg

The same character discovering an alien "pet":

critters2.jpg

And here she is. She's an alien shapeshifter:

changeling3.jpg

DMAC on
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    You know what the best part about her is?
    She's blonde and her eyes aren't blue.
    Do you know how rare that is to find in drawings?
    Rare.

Also, your line art is godly and I am oozing with jealousy.

mully on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    There are very few purple-eyed girls, period.

Thank you.

DMAC on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Here are a couple from the first book I did for them. It was a book on Golden Age/WWII heroes.

The Mystic (I stole the basic colors/idea for his costume from Mickey Mouse in The Sorcerer's Apprentice.):

mysticcolor4.jpg

Evil Spy Guy (He might look like Phil Ken Sebben. He might also have my picture in his dossier.):

agentcolor3.jpg

DMAC on