As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MacBooks and the Orange Box

AydrAydr Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Having heard so many good things about the Orange Box, I recently decided to go ahead and get it. I checked out the specs, and found that my computer (a MacBook) should indeed be good enough to run it.

Sadly, the games seem to disagree with me.

Every time I try running one of the games, the game crashes. So far the only one who's problem I've figured out is Half-Life 2's, which crashes every time that the game autosaves. Looking around the web, I've heard tell of the Orange Box working on some people's MacBooks. Only problem is, I can't seem to find how.
Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac
Model Identifier: MacBook2,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz

I'm using Windows XP in bootcamp to attempt to play. Anyone able to help? I, too, want to learn to think with Portals and study the veracity of baked goods.

tl;dr: My MacBook doesn't like the Orange Box please make it work.

Aydr on

• Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    http://www.apple.com/ca/macbook/specs.html
    Intel GMA 950 graphics processor with 64MB of DDR2 SDRAM shared with main memory

I doubt this will work to any satisfactory degree.

Azio on
  • Options
    lordswinglordswing Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    You're probably going to need 2 gigs of ram. I've been able to run HL2 at the lowest settings with my MacBook with a 1.83 GHz Core Duo with 2 gigs of ram at 667 MHz. I could never get CS:S to run though, so I deleted my partition.

lordswing on
    D2:LoD East -> *FlipPaulHewitt
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    There's a difference between a Macbook and a Macbook pro, right? You're sure those other peple weren't guys with pros? Because I know it'll run on a pro but if your graphics card really is a 950 with 64MB shared RAM, then HL2's either going to chug or not run at all.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    There's a difference between a Macbook and a Macbook pro, right? You're sure those other peple weren't guys with pros? Because I know it'll run on a pro but if your graphics card really is a 950 with 64MB shared RAM, then HL2's either going to chug or not run at all.

There is indeed, the Pro has a dedicated graphics card inside. The MacBook's integrated graphics card CAN run HL2, you can get ~20-30 FPS on the lowest settings

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SpSAf56v1S4

lordswing on
  • Options
    CycophantCycophant Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    That's the thing - although the lack of a dedicated graphics card would seem like an obvious problem, we're all forgetting just how stupidly scale-able HL2 is. I've run HL2 the entire way through, albeit at a low resolution, all the graphics options off, and with a few occasional FPS droops, on my laptop with an integrated video card.

Granted, a 64-meg Intel graphics processor is pretty bad even for an integrated graphics option, but I bet it should still run. Maybe the fact that it's running on a Mac, with such a poor graphics card, is the problem? I dunno, I'd maybe fire an email off to Valve and see what they say.

Cycophant on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    AydrAydr Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Yeah, I'm sure they were talking about running it on regular MacBooks, not Pros.

And I've actually gotten HL2 to run fairly well on it, and it even sets the default settings to high in most categories. The only problem for HL2 is the save function, so I'd assume that in regards to HL2 the video card isn't an issue.

Aydr on
  • Options
    Cptn PantsCptn Pants Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    How exactly are you guys running the Orange Box on your mac? Are you using Bootcamp to simply boot into windows and play or is there some way to get it to run under OSX? I was under the impression that Apple didn't want to pay for the porting process and there for there was no official HL2 on Mac.

I have a Macbook Pro 1.83Ghz, 768 Mb ram, the 128mb Radeon X1600 running, OSX 10.5 Leopard. Many thanks for anyone that can help me play my favorite games on my laptop :)

Cptn Pants on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Bootcamp is the way to do HL2/Orange Box/etc.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    For HL2, does quicksaving (F6) also crash the game?

You might have looked at it already, but this gives a few tips that might help you out. There are some other articles on the steam site that may be relevant as well.

Smasher on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Cptn Pants wrote: »
    How exactly are you guys running the Orange Box on your mac? Are you using Bootcamp to simply boot into windows and play or is there some way to get it to run under OSX? I was under the impression that Apple didn't want to pay for the porting process and there for there was no official HL2 on Mac.

I have a Macbook Pro 1.83Ghz, 768 Mb ram, the 128mb Radeon X1600 running, OSX 10.5 Leopard. Many thanks for anyone that can help me play my favorite games on my laptop :)

Before, Boot Camp was definitely the way to go, but it seems Cross Over gives you another option.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hPrWplpCQUQ

Note, this was on a MacBook, so you should definitely see better results than that.

Again, I'm just going to reiterate, 2 gigs of ram will help out a whole lot in running HL2. HL2 scales down wonderfully, so yes, that integrated graphics card can run it. It's possible. I've done it. On a weaker processer than the OP's.

lordswing on
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Cptn Pants wrote: »

I have a 2.2GHz Macbook Pro, the new one with the Geforce 8600 GT, and I use Vista as my main OS. It won't do Crysis, but the Orange Box runs beautifully. Just remember to use the latest drivers for your Radeon from laptopvideo2go.com

Azio on