Options

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (We can argue about it later. It'll be great!)

• Options
    TimmerTimmer Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Dashui wrote: »
    Did Nathan Drake remind anyone of Nathan Fillion/Mal Reynalds? :P

Yes!

Timmer on
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm tempted to get this to burn through it over a few days to just give Mass Effect a break.

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Playing through on hard is getting really fun. Before I had more than enough bullets to pretty much stay put and pick things off as I went, but now I'm getting down to the wire sometimes, and I have to run right into the thick of battle to get more ammo or a different gun. I'm really dreading
    The ski part where you have to go up the waterfalls... That was pretty annoying as hell on normal, and I know I'm just going to get angry on hard there

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Just finished my run on Hard. Had to delete my original save files out of the Saved Data Utility because they were corrupt. that's what was causing the game to lock up. Didn't have to reinstall the game after all. If you go to Game Data Utility you'll see that Uncharted doesn't install to the harddrive anyway. All my other games were there, Resistance, EoJ, Skate, and Eye Create, but no Uncharted.

After starting from scratch again I managed to get 56 treasures. I was really hoping I'd get them all.

MuttonChops on
    muttonchops.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I thought I was doing really well with the treasures for the first bit, but then I ended with only 31 found D:. I honestly have no idea where they would have hid the rest.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I guess I'm the only one who didn't like the "twist" (that is to say, hated it with a passion).

But replaying it on hard is great. At least until I get to the super-happy-fun-times part (D:).

Graviija on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Graviija wrote: »
    I guess I'm the only one who didn't like the "twist" (that is to say, hated it with a passion).

But replaying it on hard is great. At least until I get to the super-happy-fun-times part (D:).
    the more i think about it, the more i like it - i really think it gave the ending a bit of understated relevance
    in an atmosphere of double crossing and adventure for the sake of greed, an atmosphere where nate himself was all too quick too pass off francis' fruitless efforts as self-indulgent gold-digging, the sudden announcement that this thing everyone was fighting for could be terribly dangerous - a threat to more than just your own dumb, greedy self - made for a great ending, and the perfect 'you misjudged drake' moment when elena gave him back the ring. it was easily enough to make the twist not feel cheap - it was placed at the perfect point to leave us with a resounding ending, and it made for a few wickedly unexpected moments. playing through again you can see all the clues, too.

i really had high hopes for the narrative of uncharted, and i think i payed off even more than i could have wanted.

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Mostly I will just be pissed off if they don't do a sequel

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    My friend got a 30-day trial of gamefly. He doesn’t own a PS3, but he plays mine like it’s his. So he picked Uncharted and Heavenly Sword as his first 2 rentals (games I don't own). Uncharted showed up first and we are still waiting on HS. We beat Uncharted in 1 sitting, on Normal for about 8-10 hours. The game kept us entertained the whole time. We wanted to beat it so we could return it to get another game. I'd have to say this game was great. If I wasn't so strapped for cash I'd purchase it, but if anyone has 2nd guesses, at least rent it... its worth that much.

Enjoyed much. :) Carry On.

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Awesome, I didn't know you could blindfire on the upriver chapter. This makes it a bit less annoying, I think.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Awesome, I didn't know you could blindfire on the upriver chapter. This makes it a bit less annoying, I think.

Wow, really? I didn't know that either! Thanks for saying something. :)

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    brynstar wrote: »

Wow, really? I didn't know that either! Thanks for saying something. :)

I'm doing it now, and just as a warning: her aim is horrible.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    It's not called blindfire for nothing.

Crushing is fucking brutal.

*edit* it's not called crushing for nothing.

MuttonChops on
    muttonchops.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I hate upriver so much compared to the rest of the game... Stupid rocket launchers. I hate them so. I just ran right past them without a care this time though.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    Warder45Warder45 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So I can't beat the demo on easy. Should I just give up on this game?

The game looks great. Even the scripted sequences are fun to watch. I've never played GoW, so I didn't know what combat would be like. But getting to the part in the demo with the guys with Ak's, I get behind cover, press L1 or L2 to swing out, but I can't seem to use the stick to aim fast enough without getting nailed a few times. I also run out of ammo quick thanks to my poor aiming. What I wouldn't give for a mouse or wiimote.

Warder45 on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    - Make sure you up the sensitivity in the options (it's very low by default)
    - Take your time in aiming. Stay ducked until they reload, then use L1 to aim then duck again, then on their next reload, if they haven't moved, use L1 to re-aim and L2 to fire.
    - Always notice your surroundings. There are usually lots of explosive barrels lying around that if timed right can take out groups of baddies.
    - Don't be afraid to move around to better positions constantly.
    - In a pinch, if a guy gets close, don't bother aiming, just shoot.

Hope some of those hints help you out!

Timmer on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    it pays to vaguely centre your screen on where the enemies are before you swing out of cover - it usually won't place the target right on top of them but it'll be much closer than if you just jump out randomly

go for headshots, throw your grenades around corners, use the shotgun to take out guys with blindfire - there's lot's you can do strategically to get an advantage. if you find yourself running out of ammo, don't be afraid to take out the stragglers with a brutal combo - it doubles the amount of ammo they drop (though i'm not sure if this holds true in the demo)

and fall back. give yourself some space and fall back to a choke point so the bad dudes can't come at you from all sorts of angles

i'm about to start on crushing, so hopefully this advice really works...

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    To add to mine and bsjezz's comments, there's one thing that really clicked with me that made me like the game even as I spent an hour trying to get one fight won:

There is ALWAYS a way to win.

If it's too hard that probably means you need to look for a different strategy. Many times I thought I had the best way down but just couldn't perfect it. Then, I'd try a completely different approach (either going in more aggressive or staying further back or going around a different side) and that made all the difference. Take advantage of the fact that the AI is *good*. It will try to get on you, flank you, and flush you out. Do the same to them! :)

Timmer on
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Warder45 wrote: »
    So I can't beat the demo on easy. Should I just give up on this game?

Ack... Well here a few tips, if they don't help it might not be for you.

1. Pre-aim before leaving cover. Try to get the guy you are going to shoot in the center of your screen with the camera before you lean out. This way you won't have to move the target reticle as far when it comes time to shoot. (This is also a good skill to learn since you need it when blind firing and run 'n gunning.)

2. If you health gets too low, just hide for a while for your health to recover. If your position is not safe and you need to move to alternate cover roll there instead of running.

Edit: Took too long to reply, got sniped with the same tips. So this is isn't completely useless....
    Doing crushing now, currently at the seaplane. Only takes 2-3 shots to kill you and the enemy is really accurate, getting good with the blind firing and centering is key. Brutal combo is very tough to do unless there is only 1 guy left since the other enemies have no qualms shooting you while comboing. (Most of my melee is of the steel fist variety now.)

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    man, getting through some of these battles on crushing takes some freaking elegance

you gotta know where every bullet goes, account for every pirate, and not budge an inch unless you really really have to

when you pull it off, though...

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    bsjezz wrote: »
    man, getting through some of these battles on crushing takes some freaking elegance

you gotta know where every bullet goes, account for every pirate, and not budge an inch unless you really really have to

when you pull it off, though...

You aren't kidding. Seems like gunfights now consist solely of pop out, squeeze off a couple rounds, hope they land, duck back, wait for coluor to return, repeat. No time for lining up headshots anymore, or even 3 well-place body shots. Run and gun is out of the question. The AI is devillishly accurate and their bullets are on par with your own, damage-wise, this time 'round if not more powerful.

Anyone going to attempt the OSK mode?

MuttonChops on
    muttonchops.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I know the dev's tried to make your playable character have "weight", but anyone else every get frustrated with the controls at all? I find that the cover system frustrating. Sometimes I just want to get out of cover mode and pop out and shoot and run, but instead my dude is rolling to the next cover spot. I wish circle wasn't the same button to roll and cover.

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    use forward and X

MuttonChops on
    muttonchops.png
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The only two problems I had with this game;
    1) Don't expect us not to look up NaughtyDog... I spent close to 30 minutes trying to get to a ledge that obviously lead to another area without realizing I was supposed to come back there later from a higher vantage point.
    2) For the love of GOD, when we are standing between two bits of cover and hit the cover button... put us into the cover that we are facing, not the one that we aren't which puts us right into the line of fire of the dude with a grenade launcher!

Other than that, I loved this game, and am glad to hear that they took the Gears of War approach to the Treasure hunting. Now to get enough points for unlimited Ammo so I can play through the whole game with nothing but the Wes-44 :D

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    A couple responses:

- Yes, controls are good (especially when in duck-n-cover fighting) but not great (especially when just running around; there's a slight 'loose and floaty' feel to the character that, in a lesser game, would have bugged me more).

- Yes, there's always the frustration of the sticking to the exact wrong piece of cover and dying for it. Luckily, I ran into those rarely and, from a dev's point of view, perfecting the 'stick to the object i mean' coding won't be perfected for another generation or two of games of this type and I think Uncharted gets it right 90% of the time.

- Fighting, especially in the later half gets very hard. I never ceased to have fun though -- despite a few choice curse words to the contrary. Since my first run on hard took me 12 hours to finish, that means there were some areas that took me many, many tries to get through it. And yet, I never stopped. Most games, if it takes me more than a few tries, I'll put the game down for a while. I put that as a testament to the fun factor, the addictiveness and even the feeling of "Okay, I think I see a way I can do this..." despite the 20th time dying in the same fight.

Timmer on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I found an Uncharted theme for PS3. It looks pretty rockin:

(image spoilered for being big, not actually spoilery)
    6tvavci.jpg

Link:
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=R69P8HFR

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Nice! I always prefer the basic theme as I love the animated time-sensitive background but I do like those icons and now that you can turn on just icons in themes, I'll have to try that.

Getting off-topic, but does anyone know if a 3rd party theme can do animated backgrounds?

Timmer on
  • Options
    DesmondPfeifferDesmondPfeiffer The secret diary of- Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I absolutely loved Uncharted. It met every bit of my expectations I had for it. I played through on hard the first time, taking roughly 10-12 or so hours, and the only part that was really frustrating to me was-
    -escaping the sub-pen toward the end of the game while simultaneously fighting mercenaries and the "spaniards". I think what made it so hard was mixing the two completely different styles of tactics needed to defeat both parties of enemies in one single fight.

I also ended up with an even 40 of the 60 treasures on my first play through. I was initially thinking it would be impossible to find the others, but low and behold I got three new ones just replaying the first three chapters of the game.

There were two treasures that I saw but could not figure out how to get to though. The two in question being in the giant puzzle room nearing the end of the game (with the walkways and the swinging lanterns). I could see them sparkling in the distance, taunting me, but I never could get to them and lost my patience trying.

DesmondPfeiffer on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Plot question:
    How did Sully get the book when he shows how he survived? Didn't Drake have it? I thought he did... Also, did Drake pick up the book off of Sully's body when he thought he was dead? I didn't think to look this time through... hmm

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Plot question:
    How did Sully get the book when he shows how he survived? Didn't Drake have it? I thought he did... Also, did Drake pick up the book off of Sully's body when he thought he was dead? I didn't think to look this time through... hmm
    Drake gives it to Sully before he goes into the submarine for safe keeping

Timmer on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Timmer wrote: »
    Plot question:
    Drake gives it to Sully before he goes into the submarine for safe keeping
    I know that part, but didn't Drake have the book through the game? Or am I hallucinating hitting the select button a few times for hints from it?

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Plot question:
    nah, drake gives sully the book just before he goes onto the u-boat, i think. it's neat, when you rewatch it, you can actually see the diary sticking out of sully's top pocket when he's taken at gunpoint. and once sully got shot, drake only had time to make a frustrated leap towards navarro and co. before the boat exploded and he had to make a run for it

my only plot question is: if francis died deep inside the island's buildings and passageways, how did he manage to get his diary (with clues about how to get through the the island's buildings) into his fake coffin, far far away in panamanian waters? it is a mystery

edit: oh
    i'm pretty sure there are no diary puzzles in between sully getting shot and their reuinion - which is why there's a 'before' version of the diary and an 'after' version, with a bullet hole through the pages. i could be mistaken - i'll keep my eye out.

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Plot question:
    nah, drake gives sully the book just before he goes onto the u-boat, i think. it's neat, when you rewatch it, you can actually see the diary sticking out of sully's top pocket when he's taken at gunpoint. and once sully got shot, drake only had time to make a frustrated leap towards navarro and co. before the boat exploded and he had to make a run for it

my only plot question is: if francis died deep inside the island's buildings and passageways, how did he manage to get his diary (with clues about how to get through the the island's buildings) into his fake coffin, far far away in panamanian waters? it is a mystery

i'm pretty sure there are no diary puzzles in between sully getting shot and their reuinion - which is why there's a 'before' version of the diary and an 'after' version, with a bullet hole through the pages. i could be mistaken - i'll keep my eye out.
    Correct, no diary puzzles until you're back inside with Sully
    Good question on the diary. It's actually a little backward. We know he faked his death and then died inside. I don't know how to reconcile that, actually. The only thing could be if he was not alone and had helpers. He could have given one of them the diary and faked his death. Now, another question would be: why not just destroy the diary if he didn't want anyone to find El Dorado?

But, honestly, these are the type of 'plot holes' that all these Indiana Jones type movies have. (BTW, if you're an evil NAZI, don't go defiling God's book holders, either. That just never ends well *g*)

Timmer on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Plot question:

There was a 'puzzle' (but not really) when you see a door that needs keys and you have to go to some tower to get them.

And, yeah, I was wondering too about the Francis Drake dying there and then somehow having his stuff show up in a coffin far away. Maybe he found the treasure, realized what it did, left, faked his death in order for people not to try and find him, and then he went back and blew the hell out of the island? Or gave his stuff to someone that was with him? I dunno.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Plot question:

There was a 'puzzle' (but not really) when you see a door that needs keys and you have to go to some tower to get them.

And, yeah, I was wondering too about the Francis Drake dying there and then somehow having his stuff show up in a coffin far away. Maybe he found the treasure, realized what it did, left, faked his death in order for people not to try and find him, and then he went back and blew the hell out of the island? Or gave his stuff to someone that was with him? I dunno.
    That was a map that you get from the nazi on the U-boat. I believe it says it is the 'missing page' or something. It wasn't the actual diary itself though. I do remember Nate grabbing it out of the crashed plane in chapter 4 if that helps you recall it.

DesmondPfeiffer on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Plot question:

That was a map that you get from the nazi on the U-boat. I believe it says it is the 'missing page' or something. It wasn't the actual diary itself though. I do remember Nate grabbing it out of the crashed plane in chapter 4 if that helps you recall it.

Ooooooooooooh, duh. Yeah, I remember him getting it, but I never realized that he got that hint from it. The icon never changed, so I just kind of pictured the diary instead of just that page. That makes sense. Too bad the Francis Drake thing still doesn't that much. I kind of wish they had explained a bit more about the backstory on what happened to Francis Drake's path and when the Germans got there, etc, but then again I guess the mystery adds a bit to the game too.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I am taking my time on this game but seriously...
    FUcK ZOMBIES!

I just did the first bit "waiting for the rope from above" and seriously that shit stressed me out too much. I even had to drop the difficulty again.

once again
    FUcK ZOMBIES!

useless4 on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    useless4 wrote: »
    I am taking my time on this game but seriously...
    FUcK ZOMBIES!

I just did the first bit "waiting for the rope from above" and seriously that shit stressed me out too much. I even had to drop the difficulty again.

once again
    FUcK ZOMBIES!
    Yeah, that part freaked me out too. They really did a good job of making that moment really frantic. Both by introducing these creatures not in the game until now, and then forcing you to adapt your playstyle at the same time. It really gets frantic, but that's good, as that moment in the game really calls for it

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Whats not to understand about how he faked his death? I think at the end of the game.. or rather close to the end of the game, Drake explains how his ancestor found the statue, found out it has some bad shit associated with it, and then he flooded the city and such... I'm sure that wasn't done over night, and I'm sure he had time to fake his death. I think maybe I collected this after Drake watches that movie towards the end. Where it shows an undead dude chained to the statue going crazy

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I remember when I first got to the room with Drake's corpse, where you fight the zombies initially, I was wondering to myself why they loaded the room with so many shotguns. It was obvious a firefight was going to be going down, but why shotguns? I found out a few minutes later, haha, that part was tense.

DesmondPfeiffer on