As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New York EAT EAT EAT

Brucelee41042Brucelee41042 Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Yeah I know there is already someone else with a New York thread... but I'm not going to hijack. Here's the plan:

I'm going to new york for a day or two, anywhere from Nov 10-18. Why? Because I can get a buddy pass, I fly up there for the price of the taxes, shouldn't be more than $75. I'll be arriving early, staying as late as possible, but if the latest flight out isn't to my liking, I'll sleep in the airport and take the next flight home. I like food, all kinds of food, seriously, I'll eat anything. That's the whole reason I'm going. I'm going to bring a nice sized duffle bag, and just carry it around with me, pack it up nice with some food I can take back with me, or whatever I don't finish. The lady I'm getting this buddy pass from is originally from New York, she's giving me a shopping list of sorts, but I'd like your opinions as well. Here's the list of things I would like to try:

Pizza- I want some real pizza, I heard Lombardi's is good, have to buy a whole pie though...
General Italian food- I want some veal parmesean... cooked by uncle vinny in the kitchen.. or a mexican, if it tastes the same
Bagels/Pastrys
Coffee- just a nice coffee shop, no big name chains
Japanese- This can be expensive... I'd be happy with just some sushi, but if there's an affordable sitdown japanese restaurant... that'd be good
Greek
Chinese- I'd like to try some chinese, but this is towards the end of my priorities.. unless you can convince me otherwise.
street vendors- I gots to get me some nathan's hotdogs... I know I just need to walk around and try them all, but any opinions are good.

I really don't feel like doing anything else in the city, I'm going to be busy moving around, stuffing my face, and purging myself to make room for more food... :lol:
But again, if you know of something spectacular that I'd be missing, fill me in. I'll have roughly 300 dollars to waste on food and taxi fares. I'm not expecting to eat all that food, or even buy all those different kinds
of foods... But I'm going to try.

Brucelee41042 on

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Pfah, take the subway unless you really have no idea where you're going or feel extra lazy. Save that extra money for food.

I went to a decent sushi buffet in K-town called Todai, but you could probably better spend your money elsewhere.
    Where in NYC will you mostly be?

If you like Thai, I might trek out to Queens, but only if you felt like going far away and spending time... but the place was damn good.. Sripraphai or something like that.

Um, Grimaldi's pizza was pretty good, dunno if it's worth the journey.

I don't know any specific street vendors, but there is a good dosai cart somewhere downtown, and many of the halal carts are really good. Like Chicken and Rice at 53rd and 6th.

Shit, gotta go. No more typing.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I'm not going to be anywhere in particular, I'll go where the food is. As long as I can get back LaGuardia on time.. by shuttle or whatever. I'm sure there's some shuttles that'll take me out to where I need to be. But after that, I'll have to get around however I can, via subway or taxi or feet

Brucelee41042 on
  • Options
    reddogreddog The Mountain Brooklyn, NYRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Ok...here's my 2 cents:

-Pizza: Lombardi's and Grimaldi's are good but in my opinion they are gourmet pizza from restaurants. Growing up in Brooklyn, NYC pizza is from a pizzeria that you can just order a slice and eat it while watching the Yankee game. If you see any small divey pizzeria places, go in, get a slice, put some garlic and red pepper flakes and your golden. My personal favs are J&V Pizza in Brooklyn on 18th avenue and 64th street. Take the N to Brooklyn, get off at 18th avenue...its right there.

-General Italian food: I'm not big on Italian food but i've never gone wrong by going to Little Italy and just picking a spot.

-Bagels/Pastrys: Go to Ess-a-Bagels on 51st and 3rd.

-Coffee: Best coffee is from the venders on the street in the morning rush. $1.35 you get a large coffee and a donut.

-Japanese: I really love Jeollado on 4th street between 1st and 2nd avenue. Cheap, fresh, nice atmosphere.

-Greek: Only place I know of is in Brooklyn on 4th avenue & 86th. Great small greek place...best gyros.

-Chinese: Ruby Foo's in Times Square isn't bad but insanely touristy. Tao is, in my opinion, overrated and overpriced...you're paying for the atmosphere rather than the food.

-Street vendors: Nathan's is actually not a street vendor. Nathan's is in Coney Island...i've never seen a nathan's cart in the city. There are hot dog carts which are good but they can charge you whatever they want. Plus there's a reason why they're called dirty water dogs ;). If you want hot dogs, head to either Nathans in Coney Island or Grey's Papaya on W8th. Definitely, definitely do the halal chicken & rice carts. $4 will get you salad, rice, and chicken with veggies...put some of the yogurt sauce and some hot sauce you're golden.

Shit...i gotta go back to work!

reddog on
    reddog.png
  • Options
    TaGuelleTaGuelle Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Alright, you want good eats in New York.

In China Town, there are an insane amount of restaurants. Look for Dim Sum. Try and find one that serves white people because not all of them do. I can give you the location of one if you want it. Its a meal where women push around carts of dumplings or various other things and you pay by the plate. Really good and a pretty authentic meal.

Lower east side, i believe first avenue between 4th and 5th there are four indian restauarant all next to each other. Go to the top right one. Insanely good indian food, insanely cheap. Highly recomend it. Its got the most insane decorations and they sometimes break out singing and dancing. Its really an experience

There is really good mexican food all over the city. I know one in the west village that has 3.50 margaritas and they dont skimp on the tequila. Food's good too. I know some in the bronx as well.

Like what was before mentioned, its not ny pizza unless its from a pizzaria where you order a slice and put garlic parm and red pepper on it.

If youre looking for Korean food I can recomend a bunch to you.

There is a really good valencian style restaurant in the 20s on the west side, Broqueria? Really good Tapas and so forth.

If you want more, i got'em

TaGuelle on
  • Options
    reddogreddog The Mountain Brooklyn, NYRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    TaGuelle wrote: »
    If youre looking for Korean food I can recomend a bunch to you.

I've been trying to find a good Korean place for a while for some good Kim Chi Bokum Bap...where do you know of?

reddog on
    reddog.png
  • Options
    Wyvern998Wyvern998 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I recommend Cafe Reggio on McDougall Street. Best coffee in Manhattan. It's only a short walk from Union Square too.

For pizza, I go to this little place called PIE, also near Union Square. The premise is that you pay not by the slice, but by the weight of the piece they cut you. All the ingredients are ultra-fresh, and it's fairly inexpensive.

Wyvern998 on
  • Options
    AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Pizza - Like everyone else said, usually any mom and pop joint makes some real sick pizza. A personal favorite of mine is this italian nook on the corner of 12th street and 5th ave in park slope, bk.

Italian - I never get italian for lunch too expensive and too much time on a lunch break, but walk down 50/51st and 7th ave and you will hit a shit town of nice places.

japanese - aoki, 234 W 48th St, New York . Only been there for lunch, but the food/price is great.

Thai/Vietnamese - Saigon 48. 234 W 48th St, New York. Eat. Enjoy.

Dont do coffee/bagel/chinese.

But I need to throw in this burger joint that i get churascos from, it is on 51st and 9th Ave. It is called Island Burgers and Shakes. Their black and white malts will deliver you from evil.

What I use to figure out what I want for lunch each day: http://midtownlunch.com/blog/ (not my site)

Aretè on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Thanks for the advice guys... I'm going to try and go to most of the places you've mentioned. I'll be going over this weekend, or early next week. I'll try to dig this old thread up and post some pics of where I went and what I ate.

Brucelee41042 on