As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Looking for a free screen capture program!

VaregaVarega Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Ok guys, here's the deal. At work, one of the librarians are looking to take a screencap of a DVD scene. Can I get any good recommendations of a decent software to do this? The machines are new, so processor speed and RAM is not a problem. It's a Core2Duo with 1 gig of ram and a 128 meg video card, series escapes me at the moment.

League of Legends:Varega
Varega on

• Options
    CycophantCycophant Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Media Player Classic.

Pop the DVD in the computer, load it up using MPC, then use the "Save Image" menu option. Simple as pie.

Cycophant on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    VLC can also do this, if I remember correctly.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    whuppinswhuppins Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    If it's just going to be one cap from one DVD, why not just use the Print Screen key and paste into Paint? Quick and dirty isn't always bad.

whuppins on
  • Options
    SpeakeasySpeakeasy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Because most of the time (at least with me), the part with the movie is completely black, as if nothing was playing.

Speakeasy on
    smokeco3.jpg
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    ya prtscrn doesn't typically work on any image that's not already static.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    TopiaTopia Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Pause the video, then print screen? It's always worked for me.

Topia on
  • Options
    DrFrylockDrFrylock Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Topia wrote: »
    Pause the video, then print screen? It's always worked for me.

This will not work for most people. Many video players use the hardware's special "video overlay" mode to composite the video into the screen instead of drawing it using GDI. When you do a Windows printscreen, it only captures the GDI part, so you get black where the video should be, or possibly a magenta color that is the "overlay passthrough" color.

DrFrylock on
  • Options
    VaregaVarega Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yea, I tried the printscreen button and had the problem with the black screen. I did use media player Classic, and that worked great. Originally I headed to the Sourceforge to pick up one, but none of them did DVD video, just gaming.

Varega on
    League of Legends:Varega