As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Questions regarding the PS3/HD Media

Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Games and Technology
Soo, I may be able to wrangle a PS3 as a Christmas AND Birthday present from the folks (that's what comes of having a birthday near xmas). I have questions and I couldn't find another PS3 thread to post them in (Damn 3 letter limit on search).

Games:

I'd definitely be picking up Uncharted, I LOVE the look of it and it really seems my type of game. What other games are coming out? I'm NOT a FPS fan at all, so Resistance is out, I quite like the look of Motorstorm but not so sure on anything else. When is LittleBigPlanet out? I'm REALLY looking forward to that and have been since I saw the first few clips.

What are the downloadable games like? What's the price on them (UK here)?

Movies:

Now here's the real reason I'm getting a PS3 if I'm honest. Whilst there are some great games coming out at the moment I thought I'd leap on board with a HD player of some sort. I could get the HD-DVD player attachment but I trust my 360 little at the moment what with all the Red Ring nonsense. Do you get any free BluRay discs at the moment like the 5 movie HD-DVD deals doing the rounds? How much are Bluray discs to buy and where's the best (By which I mean cheapest) place to get them? I'll be honest, the £25 price in places like HMV and Virgin is really really putting me off.

How far along are Bluray burners and how's the media price looking? I do a lot of homevideo editing and being able to output a ton of stuff and then play it in the PS3 would be fantastic, especially with the recent announcement of divx support.

And lastly, am I wise getting a PS3 now? Would I be better getting a standalone HD-DVD player or standalone Blueray player and picking up a PS3 when there are more games I want? Would I be better holding back off the whole HD media field for a while till things become more settled and cheaper? Is HD-DVD going to be a lot cheaper to buy blank media for (as previously mentioned, being able to edit together and burn out my own shit is important to me. I know I can just use DVD but I'd like to take advantage of the higher capacity)?

Cheers guys, and as per usual with these type of threads, can we keep the Sony mocking to a minimum?

Steam: Sir_Grinch
PSN: SirGrinchX
Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
Mr_Grinch on

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Well typically if you have to ask what games to get then you might want to wait a bit before buying a console. In this case you already have a 360 so you are really looking for PS3 exclusives, which might not add up to huge number of games any time soon.

Can't really say much about HD movies in England so I'll let other speak to that.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    WalMart has a "get ten blu-rays for free" deal coming up, look further down the forum.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    SumDeusSumDeus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    HD-DVDs are region free.

SumDeus on
    mjarin.png
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    SumDeus wrote: »
    HD-DVDs are region free.

Currently and Blu-Ray is only region locked by choice not design.

And you don't need an ugly add-on to play Blu-ray.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    SumDeusSumDeus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    HD-DVDs are region free.

By choice or not, region locked is region locked.

SumDeus on
    mjarin.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    HD-DVDs are region free.

Except they aren't all region locked...If any at this point.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Soo, I may be able to wrangle a PS3 as a Christmas AND Birthday present from the folks (that's what comes of having a birthday near xmas). I have questions and I couldn't find another PS3 thread to post them in (Damn 3 letter limit on search).

Games:

I'd definitely be picking up Uncharted, I LOVE the look of it and it really seems my type of game. What other games are coming out? I'm NOT a FPS fan at all, so Resistance is out, I quite like the look of Motorstorm but not so sure on anything else. When is LittleBigPlanet out? I'm REALLY looking forward to that and have been since I saw the first few clips.

What are the downloadable games like? What's the price on them (UK here)?

Movies:

Now here's the real reason I'm getting a PS3 if I'm honest. Whilst there are some great games coming out at the moment I thought I'd leap on board with a HD player of some sort. I could get the HD-DVD player attachment but I trust my 360 little at the moment what with all the Red Ring nonsense. Do you get any free BluRay discs at the moment like the 5 movie HD-DVD deals doing the rounds? How much are Bluray discs to buy and where's the best (By which I mean cheapest) place to get them? I'll be honest, the £25 price in places like HMV and Virgin is really really putting me off.

How far along are Bluray burners and how's the media price looking? I do a lot of homevideo editing and being able to output a ton of stuff and then play it in the PS3 would be fantastic, especially with the recent announcement of divx support.

And lastly, am I wise getting a PS3 now? Would I be better getting a standalone HD-DVD player or standalone Blueray player and picking up a PS3 when there are more games I want? Would I be better holding back off the whole HD media field for a while till things become more settled and cheaper? Is HD-DVD going to be a lot cheaper to buy blank media for (as previously mentioned, being able to edit together and burn out my own shit is important to me. I know I can just use DVD but I'd like to take advantage of the higher capacity)?

Cheers guys, and as per usual with these type of threads, can we keep the Sony mocking to a minimum?

Games: Folklore has a really neat story and some pretty awesome visuals (mostly from art direction. technically it's not too mindblowing but it's got some serious style), try the demo to see the gameplay. Ratchet and Clank is nothing but fun. If you can tolerate a third person shooter w/ vehicles as opposed to FPS, get Warhawk. It's online only but you'll have no trouble finding games. I've played a little bit of Motorstorm and it seems pretty fun but I can't say much about it. No idea when LBP is out, maybe next year? Heavenly Sword is short but fun, so you might just want to rent that one.

Movies: There should still be the 5 free Blu-ray deal when you buy a PS3. Like others have said, Wal-Mart has a 10 free Blu-ray deal as well but I don't know if they have Wal-Marts in the UK.

As far as I know, Blu-ray has way more PC support than HD-DVD. Burners still appear to be quite expensive (a very quick googling has brought up $300, $400 and $700 but I didn't check how old those figures were)

According to wiki: As of March 2007, BD-R/RE drives up to 4x retail are sold for about $600 and 2x single-layer BD-R discs, with a capacity of 25 GB, can be found for around $12.

As far as blank HD-DVD goes, a quick search yields prices from $10 to $36 for a 15 GB disc (http://www.nextag.com/blank-hd-dvd/search-html). This is purely anecdotal so take it as you will, but I've seen a lot more PC support for Blu-ray than HD-DVD with regards to blank discs and burners.

I would say go with a PS3 for Blu-ray as opposed to a standalone player unless you're a huge home theatre junkie and you need to have the absolute best playback possible, in which case you can take $1500 and go buy a Pioneer BDP-HD1. I definitely wouldn't have jumped in to HD if I hadn't got a PS3, but I'm glad I did. Blu-rays are freakin' beautiful.

Oh, and I'm at school right now but I can check UK PSN prices when I get home since I made a UK account too, unless someone beats me to it.

Hope that helps a bit.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Cheers for the advice folks. I get most net time at work in between cases, and I can't google quite as much there!

Doing a bit of research now. To lowlylowlycook, yeah, the no games part would normally be an issue with me buying the console but it's the HD Media side that's got me really interested.

I'm no home theatre junkie, but I do lilke to get decent stuff. Is the Bluray playback on ps3 good, or is it similar to PS2 dvd playback?

I didn't realise HD-DVDs were region free, that's definitely a plus in their box at the moment.

Cheers for the help so far folks.

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Cheers for the advice folks. I get most net time at work in between cases, and I can't google quite as much there!

Doing a bit of research now. To lowlylowlycook, yeah, the no games part would normally be an issue with me buying the console but it's the HD Media side that's got me really interested.

I'm no home theatre junkie, but I do lilke to get decent stuff. Is the Bluray playback on ps3 good, or is it similar to PS2 dvd playback?

I didn't realise HD-DVDs were region free, that's definitely a plus in their box at the moment.

Cheers for the help so far folks.

I've only used one Blu-Ray but I think interaction is similar to the PS2 but with more options available and obviously access to the BluRay features. These features aren't apparently as good as HDDVD at the moment, like picture in picture commentary or something. Still, I think its pretty good for playback, for Bluray and the other things like music and pictures plus videos. Now with the Divx support, using it to connect to your pc and stream videos should be a pretty good deal. Better tahn the current and irritating conversion process.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    If you're talking playback quality with the PS3's BR drive, then it seems very good. I don't have a high end BR player to compare it to, but a lot of the home theatre junkies on blu-ray.com have PS3s just for BR movies and not games, so it can't be that bad, quality-wise. It's obviously not on the level as that Panasonic, but it seems to hold up well to most of the mid-range standalones.

If you're going to be watching a lot of movies on it, definitely get the remote. I tend to end up accidentally hitting the triggers on the controller and inadvertantly fast-forwarding through a chunk of the movie.

I haven't looked at much in the way of BR special features, but the first thing I noticed is that my Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl disc has 11 hours of bonus features, interviews, concept pieces, animation tests, etc. <3 that extra space.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    vdanhalenvvdanhalenv Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    If your buying as Blu Ray movie player than don't, buy a combo player for the same price or less

if your buying for games than go nuts

vdanhalenv on
  • Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    vdanhalenv wrote: »
    If your buying as Blu Ray movie player than don't, buy a combo player for the same price or less

You want to link one? The only ones I can find are well above the $400 price point.

khain on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I don't think I've even seen them to buy in the UK!

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    HD-DVDs are region free.

Except they aren't all region locked...If any at this point.

The PS3 is region free. So if a Blu-ray has a region encoded it doesn't matter anyway. The PS3 really is the best blu-ray player.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Just so you know, Microsoft has an offer on in the UK at the minute where if you buy an Xbox 360 HD DVD player, they'll send you out 5 free HD DVDs from a choice of a few. I know you mentioned this in your post but I'm not sure if you were aware of this one, which is a 360 player specific deal. You may also be able to claim on other deals, too.

http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/hd-dvd/default.htm

I've got my HD DVDs from this promotion, they arrived in just over a week and a half.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Thats not true. The PS3 will respect the region locks if they are encoded. A lot of movies and games are not.

Im not sure about in the UK, but in north america, theres a 5 free bluray offer for PS3 right now (Any bluray player infact), where you mail in your receipt and the UPC and they mail you out 5 free blurays from a list. It takes a while though, i sent my order form in over a month ago and still havent gotten anything back. Only runs to christmas as well, not sure if theyll bring out another offer after that (There have been 2 seperate offers so far).

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Hmm, it's all so tempting and confusing. I'm definitely against using my 360 as HD-DVD player, I just don't trust the build quality for it and I don't -really- want a rather ugly expansion sat on my tv cabinet but I wouldn't put out a stand HD-DVD player. How well do these things normally upscale standard dvds?

I figure whilst the PS3 doesn't have THAT many games I want at the moment, the BluRay aspect will make up for that, and I'll have the PS3 there for when games I DO want hit (like LittleBigPlanet).

Can anyone with a PS3 comment on what the media playback is like for streaming from a PC? How do you set it up? I'm used to using XBMC at the moment and it'd likely take a lot for me to shift from that, but with the PS3 now supporting Divx it may be able to shift me.

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Just curious, what SKU were you/your parents thinking about picking up? 20/40/60/80?

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I'm in the UK and as far as I'm aware, here we have 40gb and 60gb. I'd request the 60gb (and have said I'd be willing to pay the difference between the two) largely because I'd like to retire the old PS2 to my bedroom for Guitar Hero only play and use the PS3 downstairs for all my old PS2 stuff.

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I'm in the UK and as far as I'm aware, here we have 40gb and 60gb. I'd request the 60gb (and have said I'd be willing to pay the difference between the two) largely because I'd like to retire the old PS2 to my bedroom for Guitar Hero only play and use the PS3 downstairs for all my old PS2 stuff.

Well I wasn't sure if you were going to import from JPN or something. Good choice though, I love that BC too. :)

I'm thinking about picking up a 2nd PS3, since I have the 60G, I'd like to get a 40G to do my folding/movie watching on... so I don't burn out my 60G for those purposes.... and the cheaper electric bill for folding :)

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Have you tried any of the PC->PS3 streaming options? If so what are they like?

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    streaming is pretty good, though not yet perfect. my biggest complaint is second-long gaps between songs / other media (maybe because i'm on wifi), and no album art. other than that, you can set it up super quickly in WMP, or use something like tversity to transcode unsupported formats. i like tversity because it organizes your albums correctly (and not by song title alphabetically, as streaming through WMP does.)

but it's stupidly easy. anything with DLNA support will be visible to your ps3 without a hitch

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Have you tried any of the PC->PS3 streaming options? If so what are they like?

I know there's a 'server' icon under music/photos/video, but I haven't really messed around with it. Mostly because I had just built a new computer, my older computer was dieing and couldnt do anything over the network. So I had just backed up everything on DVD's before I got my PS3... when I did get my PS3, I just plopped my DVD's in and downloaded the music to it's hard drive. But I guess its time for me to get with the program and start streaming stuff.

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    oh and with tversity you can even do shit like stream web radio and video, which is awesome

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, I'm not so hot on transcoding, I'd prefer it if the PS3 supported stuff natively, mainly because my PC is a big pile of shit and I often (at present) use it for other fairly processor intensive stuff whilst still streaming media from it (eg, I can watch an episode of something through my xbox on xbmc, streamed from my pc, and encode another video file on the pc that's currently doing the streaming).

That's why I tend to only use my 360 at the moment for HD.TS and wmv which it supports without hogging the processor of my pc too much (canes one of my harddrives though!).

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    ah alright, i never noticed a peformance hit, and i'm using a two year old laptop with a dodgy hard-drive

that said, i use it for music almost exclusively

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, I'll be streaming hd files and a fair few other high quality vid files, really takes a whack outta the processor. I think I'm set on getting a PS3 now though :)

Mr_Grinch on