As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I'm not gonna cry... not this time! (Movies)

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, in Forest Gump the only scene that does it for me is the line "You died on a Saturday..."

Couple happy tear moments are things like Pursuit of Happyness and most recently Meet the Robinsons.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I've never actually cried at a cartoony movie.

but:

The sad part of My Dog Skip had me choking back tears for like half an hour. I love jack russels!

In brokeback mountain, two bits where I teared up
    When ennis, who's virtually unable to express him self, just hugs jack and whispers sweet nothings into his ear

and after jack dies, and ennis is in his room and he says something along the lines of 'what did you do to me' and he begins to cry.

I liked that movie.

In children of men when
    clive owen is carrying around the crying baby in the city and the soldiers and rebels just stop, staring at it, completely dumbfounded. They all touch their religious symbols around their necks and drop to their knees. Such a powerful moment.

and in Crash
    when officer mcdouchebag is trying to pull the woman out of the wrecked car, and she starts weeping and screaming. That was a good performance.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Protip: Do not read this thread at work.

Bastards.

Romantic Undead on
    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Forrest Gump

I'm fine throughout the entire movie, but when we get to that end, it's the finality of it that really gets me. I don't know what it is, but the theme of life finally dying out at an old age just always seems to get me.

Forrest has gone his entire life thinking of one women, and when they're finally together and happy, she dies off. Gets me every damn time. Only movie that does it too.

Was coming to this thread to mention Forrest Gump.

Well put. I particularly lose it when he's standing at her grave and says "He's so smart, Jenny" in reference to their son.

The whole "the only woman he's ever loved is dead"/"He's glad his son doesn't suffer from his own mental deficiency" thing just tears me up.

I gotta stop typing now.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Sceptre wrote: »
    Big Fish.
    Seriously, I saw it in theaters with about six of my buddies. We were all misty eyed at the end and walked out looking like a bunch of 12 year old girls that lost their puppy forever to Mr. Johnson's front fender.

Oh man... that one still gets me. The ending is so perfect.

I've never cried during Big Fish, but
    I don't think I'll ever dry out

always gets me a little misty

bowtiedseal on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

In children of men when
    clive owen is carrying around the crying baby in the city and the soldiers and rebels just stop, staring at it, completely dumbfounded. They all touch their religious symbols around their necks and drop to their knees. Such a powerful moment.

That didn't make me cry, it just gives me chills. Just reading your post did the same thing.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    In children of men when

Also, was it just me or
    when the fighting starts back up a moment later, do they not just fucking unload on that building? Maybe I was reading too much into it.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Mom2KatMom2Kat Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I love Broke back as well but the part that always makes me misty is not in the movie. See my daughter (5 at the time) watched the last half with me. At the end of the movie my daughter turned to me and gave me hug while I was trying not to cry, then the little darling says "Mom, if they loved each other why didn't they just get married and live with each other?" That right there made me burst out. That a 5 year old couold have gotten that and that I must be doing something right if she thought it was the logical ending. Of course then I had to try and explain homophobic idiots in 5 year old terms.

Mom2Kat on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    from Return of the King:
    My friends, you bow to no one.

That's the one I was going to mention. Gets me every time.

reVerse on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I didn't think Grave of the Fireflies was as sad as it's made out to be. I don't know, of course it was sad, and it did make me teary-eyed during the little flashbacks, but I didn't think it was displayed as overly melodramatic as I had expected. It's definitely not the saddest film I've seen. That would probably be Johnny Got His Gun - that whole movie is just depressing.

Also, 'that' scene with Frau Goebbels in Der Untergang/Downfall is pretty heart-wrenching.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    No matter which of the million versions of "A Christmas Carol" I watch, I get seriously choked up at the end. When Scrooge goes to his nephew's Christmas dinner and asks for forgiveness and when he promises to do right by the Cratchets, I have to fight the tears pretty hard.

Also, the end of Bicentennial Man. My wife bawls her eyes out every time we watch that movie, thus forcing me to choke back the tears in order to comfort her.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    MikeRyu wrote: »
    Sliver wrote: »
    Grave of the Fireflies

Yeah, this always gets me really bad. I always manage to last just fine until the final scene, and then :cry:

I have made a pact with myself to never see this movie ever.

And thusly you will live and empty, meaningless life.

A small price to pay.

I got fairly choked up from watching Pom Poko and that was a movie about transforming Tanooki. Second World War Japan with dead children and the same director? What am I a masochist?

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Rudy is the one movie that always, always gets to me.
    I have to admit, I've cried in many movies before, but they're usually small, one-tear affairs. Rudy on the other hand just turns on the waterworks for me every single time. I can't even watch the movie anymore because I cry every time I see it.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    PiRaTe!!!PiRaTe!!! Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The Presidents speech from Independence Day
    Good morning. In less than an hour, aircraft from here will join others from around the world. And you will be launching the largest aerial battle in the history of mankind. "Mankind." That word should have new meaning for all of us today. We can't be consumed by our petty differences anymore. We will be united in our common interests. Perhaps it's fate that today is the Fourth of July, and you will once again be fighting for our freedom... Not from tyranny, oppression, or persecution... but from annihilation. We are fighting for our right to live. To exist. And should we win the day, the Fourth of July will no longer be known as an American holiday, but as the day the world declared in one voice: "We will not go quietly into the night!" We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on! We're going to survive! Today we celebrate our Independence Day!

Return of the King
    The Ride of the Rohirrim and the crowning of Aaragorn

Forrest Gump
    When Jenny tells Forrest that he's the father of her kid

Armageddon
    yeah it's a cheesy movie but the montage of people from around the world with the president speaking always gets to me and the end of the movie

PiRaTe!!! on
    PiRaTe001.png
  • Options
    MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    PiRaTe!!! wrote: »

Seriously?

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I cry all the time in sad movies. I'm pathetic, and my wife points at me and laughs. All the above and more. Shamelessly sobbing, sometimes.

The best one for me was Deep Impact. Not because it was a great film (it wasn't), but because all my macho mates were watching it at the same time and they were expecting Armageddon and got near-hernias trying not to cry.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2007
    Forar wrote: »
    Transformers
    Nothing spoilery; just seeing it on the big screen and realizing that, while not a perfect movie, it was a fine homage to something I loved in my childhood. Seeing Optimus Prime transform (and hearing the faint echo of the old cartoon sound for doing so in the background) gets me every time.

I cried after that movie for entirely different reasons.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Warchild77Warchild77 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I can vouch for the President's speach in ID4. It was great. Some others:

Rudy
    When they raise him up then the words that since Rudy no other Notre Dame player has ever been carried out. How can you not tear up?!

Crash
    The scene where the shop owner confronts the guy that fixes the locks. The little girl turns to her mom and says "Mommy he doesn't have it..." Then runs out the door to apparently get shot. The sheer anquish on the mans face. I'm about to cry now thinking of how I would feel with my two year old. Then she whispers "It works really good Daddy." Or whatever she says. Holy crap...

Invicible
    Apparently I'm a stickler for sports movies but when he makes his first tackle during the Giants/Eagles game and points up to "his crowd" in the stands. Man that's some good writing there.

Legends of the Fall
    Can you pick just one scene? Dang the whole movie is like Hope Floats. Whatever can go wrong does. But I think the final scene where Stab narrates "It was a good death." Man that movie is epic.

Saving Private Ryan
    At the beginning when he breaks down in front of the grave. At the end when he weeps a little more he looks at his wife and says "Tell me I lived a good life... that I'm a good man." Oh man. Anything to do with WWII and scenes with Arlington National Cemetary in particular make me tear up fast.

Warchild77 on
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Forar wrote: »
    Transformers
    Nothing spoilery; just seeing it on the big screen and realizing that, while not a perfect movie, it was a fine homage to something I loved in my childhood. Seeing Optimus Prime transform (and hearing the faint echo of the old cartoon sound for doing so in the background) gets me every time.

I cried after that movie for entirely different reasons.

That was your inner child being violated.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Warchild77 wrote: »

Saving Private Ryan
    At the beginning when he breaks down in front of the grave. At the end when he weeps a little more he looks at his wife and says "Tell me I lived a good life... that I'm a good man." Oh man. Anything to do with WWII and scenes with Arlington National Cemetary in particular make me tear up fast.

What really gets me at that part is the almost desperate look he has, like he'd kill himself with shame and regret if she'd said no.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    syrionsyrion Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Sliver wrote: »
    Grave of the Fireflies

Yeah, this always gets me really bad. I always manage to last just fine until the final scene, and then :cry:

I have made a pact with myself to never see this movie ever.

And thusly you will live and empty, meaningless life.

A small price to pay.

I got fairly choked up from watching Pom Poko and that was a movie about transforming Tanooki. Second World War Japan with dead children and the same director? What am I a masochist?

But it was such a good movie. (I wept like a tiny child.)

If I may throw in an anime series (I know, I know), Air is the devil and Now and Then, Here and There is one of the most depressing stories ever.

As for movies, well... I'm fairly cold-blooded when it comes to real actors, for some reason. Children of Men made me misty.

Holy crap, I nearly forgot one of the saddest movies I've ever seen. You've probably never heard of it. It's called Hara-Kiri. Highly recommended.

syrion on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Mom2Kat wrote: »
    I love Broke back as well but the part that always makes me misty is not in the movie. See my daughter (5 at the time) watched the last half with me. At the end of the movie my daughter turned to me and gave me hug while I was trying not to cry, then the little darling says "Mom, if they loved each other why didn't they just get married and live with each other?" That right there made me burst out. That a 5 year old couold have gotten that and that I must be doing something right if she thought it was the logical ending. Of course then I had to try and explain homophobic idiots in 5 year old terms.

That's beautiful.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    SliverSliver Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I think the fact that it was loosely autobiographical story is the worst part of Grave of the Fireflies. It's harder to emotionally detach yourself when you know there was a little boy in japan who lost both his parents, and that his little sister starved to death.

I think that's also the reason why I couldn't handle Lorenzo's Oil. In ways it's similar to GOTFF, and in ways worse. They're both bleak (and true) stories about children dying slow deaths. However in Lorenzo's Oil, it's a terminal disease, and it's much less pretty. Words cannot even begin to describe the D: factor of this movie. It makes Schindler's List look like Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory.

Sliver on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    PiRaTe!!! wrote: »

Seriously?

That was my reaction. That speech was just jingoistic, patriotic bullshit distracted by Bill Pullman's squinty face and gruff, cardboard delivery.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Shit, I think I'd be able to deal with these scenes a lot better, except that for some reason whenever I see someone start to cry on screen it tips me right over the edge. I don't know what it is, but when they go, I go.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Pan's Labyrinth had several scenes that resonated with me
    "He will not even know your name" *BANG* and Ophelia's death in particular. Even my normally iron willed dad was tearing up a bit after that.

And oh god, The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
    The climax of the movie as they finally confront the shark and the Sigur Ros crescendos oh god that had me all but sobbing.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    thorpe wrote: »
    The climax of the movie as they finally confront the shark and the Sigur Ros crescendos oh god that had me all but sobbing.
    u cannot b serios

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So, not tears, but definitely pulling at my heartstrings.

The Last Unicorn:
    Molly: No, it can't be. Can it be? Where have you been? Where have you been? Damn you! Where have you been?
    Schmendrick: Don't you talk to her that way!
    Unicorn: I'm here now.
    Molly: And where were you twenty years ago? Ten years ago? Where were you when I was new? When I was one of those innocent young maidens you always come to? How dare you! How dare you come to me now, when I am this!
    Schmendrick: Can you really see her? Do you know what she is?
    Molly: If you had been waiting to see a unicorn, as long as I have...
    Schmendrick: She's the last unicorn in the world.
    Molly: It would be the last unicorn that came to Molly Grue. It's all right, I forgive you.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Man, I cry during Mr. Smith Goes to Washington at multiple points, and I don't fucking care who might think that is strange.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Pan's Labyrinth had several scenes that resonated with me
    "He will not even know your name" *BANG* and Ophelia's death in particular. Even my normally iron willed dad was tearing up a bit after that.

I was a bit emotionally detached from this due to the fact that they show you what'll happen in the very beginning of the movie. I absolutely hate it when directors do this. The movie is almost perfect in every way, but I get so annoyed at the beginning every time.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    u cannot b serios

i m soopr serios

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    u cannot b serios

i m soopr serios
    I cry at that part, too.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I used to say I would only cry at sports movies: Rudy and Rocky Balboa (as mentioned before), The Miracle (i remember catching last like half hour of the movie one morning when no one else was home and just letting myself cry with out holding back), Remember the Titans.

But my girlfriend has got me watching some chic flicks and, try as I might, I couldn't helping crying like a little girl with a skinned knee at the end of The Note Book.
    Though I think that may have to do with my grandpa having died a few months before I watched it. I refuse to watch it again because I want to say it was just missing my grandma, not the movie itself.

Just this past week, despite being a predictable movie and clenching my jaw for the last 10 minutes, I had a pretty good cry at August Rush.

At this rate I'll be weeping at hallmark commercials :cry:

Also, TV show, Scrubs, My Screw Up
    "Where do you think we are?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaiAwrD-cP4

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Man, Scrubs has had some teary episodes.
    The one where Cox transfers organs from a girl to three patients, and they sequentially die due to the organs being infected with rabies

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    saint2e wrote: »
    The one where Cox transfers organs from a girl to three patients, and they sequentially die due to the organs being infected with rabies

I actually preffer the following one, with JD talking to Cox.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    mantidormantidor Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Blackjack wrote: »
    So, not tears, but definitely pulling at my heartstrings.

The Last Unicorn:
    Molly: No, it can't be. Can it be? Where have you been? Where have you been? Damn you! Where have you been?
    Schmendrick: Don't you talk to her that way!
    Unicorn: I'm here now.
    Molly: And where were you twenty years ago? Ten years ago? Where were you when I was new? When I was one of those innocent young maidens you always come to? How dare you! How dare you come to me now, when I am this!
    Schmendrick: Can you really see her? Do you know what she is?
    Molly: If you had been waiting to see a unicorn, as long as I have...
    Schmendrick: She's the last unicorn in the world.
    Molly: It would be the last unicorn that came to Molly Grue. It's all right, I forgive you.

I loved this movie! I felt the same with this scene, its amazing how old animated movies were this powerful. The first time I saw the movie I was very little, so I didn't understand this particular dialog, but when I rewatched it the whole thing made so much sense. It's so sad movies like this will never be made again, kids films of today are just awful.

mantidor on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Man, just reading that one post about the five year old girl and brokeback mountain makes me get a bit misty.

However I have some good ones that truly demonstrate how huge a pussy I am in an almost non sequitur fashion.

The Truman Show
    When he's sailing across the ocean and the forces of nature are beating down on him and he raises the sails in the face of adversity and struggles through. Gets me every time.

The Last Samurai
    "The flowers...they're all perfect-u...." I lost it right there. Not the greatest movie but that particular scene with the music harshly broken by chaingun fire and the westerner helping his friend fulfill his cultural imperative despite his misgivings...and that line.

That one line in Return of the King got me every time as well.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, from about the bird scene until the end of the movie.

I mean, fuck

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Kyougu wrote: »
    saint2e wrote: »

I actually preffer the following one, with JD talking to Cox.

I thought the one
    where Cox's brother-in-law (Brendan Frasier) dies and Cox thinks he's still alive and going to his son's birthday, when he's actually going to his funeral was freaking sad...

And, I can't believe no one has mentioned this... but My Girl when
    she rushes into Thomas' funeral and tries to give him his glasses...

man... I'm tearing up just thinking about that part.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    Wandering StarWandering Star Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Speaking of children's movies, the Neverending Story has always been emotional for me.

Towards the end, when Rockbiter says, "They look like big, strong hands, don't they? I always thought that's what they were."

Also-
    "Artex! ARTEX!!!"

Wandering Star on
    We can't play math rock in 4/4, dude.