Options

[Let's Play] World of Warcraft! Something new and unexpected!

DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in MMO Extravaganza
Ladies and Gentlemen, I would like to welcome you all to…

letsplaylogocopy-1.png

CONTENTS

0. Wait, zero isn’t a roman numeral – The Introduction.

I. The First Entry - The Journey Begins.

DarkCrawler on

• Options
    edited December 2007
    World of Warcraft is a famous MMORPG, created by Blizzard Entertainment in…

...wait, let’s stop right there. Is there anyone who doesn’t know what World of Warcraft, perhaps the most famous online multiplayer game, played by millions of players daily, is?

*chirp, chirp, chirp*

Yes. Thought so. I don't need to do any introductions. It would be like asking you what your name is. Instead of wasting time and space to telling you something that you already know, I can tell what this [Let's Play] is all about.

Yes. It is about an MMORPG.

No, I'm not crazy.

Yeah, I am going to make a Let's Play about World of Warcraft. There are several reasons for this. First of all, bunch of my friends have asked me to return in this game, and I really could use something extra to make the playing feel worthwhile. This is perfect for that. I also don't like seeing the game simply dust off at my hard drive, after I have spent so much money on it. Also, I haven't done a Let's Play before. It could be fun. :)

Now, you probably think that following another player stumble through the same things that you have gone through many times isn't fun, so I am going to try something different...I am an avid RP'er (or at least I like to think so), so I am going to write this from the point of view of my character, in a story tense. My inspiration for something like this comes from the best LP ever, Let's Play Medieval II: Total War - A Scotsman In Egypt by Jerusalem. The story tense made it something special, and I want to do something similar too (not that I can write as well, but I try).

I chose the faction, race and class by random, and got a Blood Elf Paladin. I haven't played a Pally for longer then level 10 or so, so it will be interesting to explore a class I know so little about.

Throughout this Let's Play, you well see the character going through a series of different quests and adventures, and hopefully it will grip your interest despite the fact that you have probably done the same things before. A different view on them, shall we say.

Okay, the sporadic introduction is over.

Any possible spelling or grammar issues that you might encounter are there because English is my second language...but I try to use grammar and spellcheck.

Enjoy!

----

P.S. I figured out since this is an MMO, it should be on this forum instead of the one where Let's Play's usually are...but if it is at a wrong place, you can move it.

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Opening1.png

Honored Journal,

Now that I have at last come to age and gained some importance, I have decided to start writing down the progress of my life from this point forward, for the future generations to read. I have decided to do so, because it is customary for us Blood elves to seek greatness and recognition from those around us. We try to achieve this in several different ways, whether through mastery of the cosmic forces of the universe or the finesse of the sharp blade in our hands. Our achievements put us into the map. I am not a great warrior or a cunning mage, so I have devised another way for me to be remembered by those that come after me.

This journal.

It will ensure that, even after I have died, a part of me will always stay in this world, even after I am long gone. Written word is eternal, as I have learned many times when reading through the writings of great men that have perished centuries ago. So, even if I will not achieve greatness in magic or combat, I will still become something special. So I will now write down the name that will, perhaps one day, become famous.

LP1-CharacterPicture.png

Caesarius. At the moment I am writing this, the name carries no greatness with it. There is no “Caesarius the Mighty” or “Caesarius the Cunning”. It is simply a name among others. It has never occurred to me to ask my parents where it comes from, and I am afraid that I have already lost the ability to do it. My parents have died. Oh, it was nothing particularly special; they shared the same fate as thousands of our kin…killed by Arthas and his Scourge.

There is not much to say about my parents. We were never really close. Thus, to avoid wasting more space, I will not mention them any more. Instead I will now tell you the path I have chosen.

I never showed any special aptitude in the arcane arts, aside from the heritage all Blood elves share. My tutors told me early on that if I chose the path of a Mage, I would become simply one of the many low level magisters, deemed to be one of the countless nameless people who support the gigantic magical structure of our society. The profession of a Warlock never interested me in the slightest; I have always loathed the denizens of the unspeakable dimensions and the devious scheming and double-crossing they love so much. Like another of my teachers so bluntly put it, I had too much humanity in me to become a warlock. I tend to share her opinion.

I was too loud for a Rogue, and dealing with daggers and poisons did not entice me. And I share no special love for the beasts and other wild things to become a Hunter. As for the Priest…I am really not interested in spending my life healing those that are dying and retrieving the spirits of those who have already perished. A noble endeavor, of course, but not one that interests me. I do have a certain level of skill with the blade, but I never truly cared for the life of a Warrior. There can be such a thing as too much fighting.

However, I did have a gift. I had a certain attunement for the new area of magic that our mages have stolen from the Alliance and enslaved. Holy magic. The reason why I have an aptitude for it isn’t known to me, but I do have it. This, combined with my skill with the blade, enabled me to become a potential member of the newly established Order of the Blood Knights. Or, in more common time…Paladins. Do not misunderstand me. I am not interested in the classic image of a Paladin, being a virtuous defender of the innocent and following a righteous path is not for me. No, I am more interested in the applications of these new energies. They are quite different from our arcane magics, as I have learned. Thus far I have learned only few ways to manipulate it, mostly in the passive forms of minor protective auras and healing. I have however seen trained Blood Knights in action.

I was truly impressed.

I am ready to admit holy magic does not require the same level of dedication as the manipulation of the cosmic forces of arcane magic. This, however, allows me to pursue mastery in the area of weapons as well, as important part of Paladin combat is fighting with them. I did not see any particular weaknesses in choosing this area, but I also knew that Paladins were not numerous in the ranks of the Horde, the faction that my people have recently allied. I would also be unique in the way.

So I became a Paladin. My training has enabled me to enlist at Sunstrider Isle, where I have to prove my worth.
    LP2-BeginningatSunstrider.png

I plan to do so indeed.

Game Events

Character created.

Name: Caesarion
    Faction: Horde
    Race: Blood Elf
    Class: Paladin

Okay, not much pictures there, I know. It's because I never really got to do anything, except create the character. Future entries will have more. ;-)

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    WTF?

Bigity on
  • Options
    WavechaserWavechaser Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    You just had to bump this to the top didn't you...

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    You know honestly I didn't even think about that because I was trying to puzzle out what was going on.

Oops! I did it again!

Bigity on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Awww.

You don't think it is a good idea? :(

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm not sure how well a full 'lets play' would work for a game that takes a good 100+ hours just to get to 70. It'd be like a lengthy one man "Hate, Hope and Happiness" thread with more screenshots? Or just a quick recap over what might've happened each level?

I'm not saying not to do it, just that I can understand some trepidation.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    rizriz Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Forar wrote: »
    It'd be like a lengthy one man "Hate, Hope and Happiness" thread with more screenshots?

:lol:

riz on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Forar wrote: »
    I'm not sure how well a full 'lets play' would work for a game that takes a good 100+ hours just to get to 70. It'd be like a lengthy one man "Hate, Hope and Happiness" thread with more screenshots? Or just a quick recap over what might've happened each level?

I'm not saying not to do it, just that I can understand some trepidation.

Well, it would be Lets Play put in a story form. I mentioned that this one inspired me:
    http://fromearth.net/LetsPlay/Scotsman/

That's a lengthy one, but it is also extremely gripping story. Obviously the writer is much more skilled then me, but I wish to achieve something similar. A story instead of a recap. Somewhat interactive because MMO is much more unpredictable then a regular game.

Basically, instead of writing like this:

"Then I hit level 10"

I could write something like this:

"My training had achieved results. I could feel that I was stronger, my reflexes were sharper..."

etc.

If I ever get this one going, it would be long one. I think a French player did something similar once, and it ended up to be really long...but interesting to read.

Here it is:
    http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.html?topicId=299001827&sid=1

It would be "In character" LP. Through the eyes of the character, not the player. I think it could be prove to be fun. :)

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    If you want people to be interested in your Let's Play, maybe not make the lamest looking character possible

Just sayin'

Male blood elf paladins are basically the worst option possible

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    I like this and I am totally :^: for it.

Do it up.

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    If you want people to be interested in your Let's Play, maybe not make the lamest looking character possible

Just sayin'

Male blood elf paladins are basically the worst option possible

Random selection, sorry. :P

At least you know he's not a Gary Stu. ;-)

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Heck, need someone to play with?

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Yeah I think this is a good idea. This isn't so much a Let's Play, as a story written in the setting of WoW.

And with his evident writing skill, this is goin to be good.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    NAND NORNAND NOR Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So ... like a WoW fanfic?

NAND NOR on
    moebius.jpg
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    NAND NOR wrote: »
    So ... like a WoW fanfic?

:roll:

Medopine on
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    I just think it's sort of bland so far because it's just a more-words recap of what is already in the game

really needs some more characters to add drama or some other excitement

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Oboro wrote: »
    I just think it's sort of bland so far because it's just a more-words recap of what is already in the game

really needs some more characters to add drama or some other excitement

The quests in WoW are actually pretty deep if you look at them beyond just "kill 15 people" or "Kill that boss". There is a story behind everything. If you would be facing Immolthar or Magethridon in real life, it wouldn't be a chore, would it?

Trust me, there will be plenty of drama. :)
    Heck, need someone to play with?

Of course if I meet players in the game, I will write them in too. ;-)

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    My guild just asploaded, and I need something to do. What server are you on?

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm looking forward to seeing how this ends up, good luck duder.

Just don't make it too good or it might suck me back into the game D:

FrylockHolmes on
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    actually I think I identified what my issue is with the character as presented so far, he's perfectly well-balanced

he appraises all the facets of his class with absolute precision and walks us through all of them, as well as laying out a lot of background that my eyes just glaze over during because I am an obsessive WoW-player

so really it's nothing all that much at all

interested to see how it shapes up I might join in ohhh

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    A group Lets Play would be pretty cool.

Maybe I should do that for Squadron...hmmm....

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    What the hell is "let's play"?

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I would read this only if it was the exploits of a female Troll warrior.

Male Blood elf paladin is now the most generic choice for anything ever.

Transporter on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Wut.

It's not really a generic choice as much as it is the only choice to play a Paladin as Horde. So um, yeah.

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    A_ccualt wrote: »
    A group Lets Play would be pretty cool.

Maybe I should do that for Squadron...hmmm....

That would actually be better. Squadron or Whores. You get better emotes and the silliest of sillies.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Seriously, what is "Let's Play"?

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Wavechaser wrote: »

Wut.

It's not really a generic choice as much as it is the only choice to play a Paladin as Horde. So um, yeah.

Do not bring your reason into my blatent generalizations.

The fact is that I see them everywhere all the time everywhere and they must diedead.

Transporter on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

In G&T, there's a type of thread that's sometimes made about games, and the creator basically goes through and plays the game(more often than not they don't seem to get far), taking screenshots and posting commentary along with it. I'm not really a fan.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Guy does a journal type thing of a playthrough of a game.

Transporter on
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I wanna do a "Let's Play" with Wii Sports. It'd be like:

"Today, I went bowling. I fucking hate bowling."

"Had a doubles tennis match against another set of twins this afternoon. Got my ass whooped."

"Double bogey my ASS!! Fucking headwinds!"

Tach on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Ah, thanks for the heads up.

Sounds um, time consuming?

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    What the hell is "let's play"?

Check out G&T sometime, they're everywhere in there.

Basically someone picks up a game, often an older one, so there are fewer "OMG SPOILERS!" moments. Say... Half Life.

And then they play it, and take screenshots every so often, during cool moments, and add paragraphs or one liners about said screenshots to explain what's going on. It's a lot of work, even for a 5-10 hour game, so I'm curious as to how it'll turn out for one that feasibly takes hundreds of hours just to get fairly deep in (and has no potential for "beating").

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Here's an idea, why don't you do this on a per zone basis? So you could make it kind of episodic and tell all the stories/plot points of a specific area. I know I like the idea of hearing the whole story of the blood elf starting zone, including Ghostlands. It'd be kinda neat.

When he hit 30, we could hear stories about traversing the jungle during drug wars in Columb--I mean war-torn Stranglethorn Vale.

Toothy on
  • Options
    AlethiometerAlethiometer Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I just finished college, so I'm coming back to WoW in another week or so. I am going to start entirely fresh. I'll probably make a druid again, though. My first ever 60 was a druid and the only character I ever played to 70 was a (different) druid (quit about two months after BC was released, didn't see much more than Kara). I just really click with the class, I guess.

So this is pretty timely, and I'm definitely going to keep tabs on your progress if you decide to do it. Maybe I'll even join your merry band if you're wanting other players to come along. Seriously though, doing a Let's Play for a non-linear game with no defined ending is a... daunting task to say the least. You might want to give it some more structure. I think the ideas being voiced here, about covering levels as episodes or covering dungeons, are pretty good. Nobody really wants to read about how you spent two straight days grinding out five levels in the badlands or wherever. You might try covering specific quests, like one or two per level, or maybe you could try and run every dungeon and cover the lead-up quests/actual run. Something to give it some narrative structure would be cool, and a recurring cast would make it fun as well.

Alethiometer on