As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat]al warming

1202122232426»

• Options
    ChurchChurch Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Eh. Is calling a person's religion morally repugnant infraction-worthy?

My reason tells me no, but I've got that feeling. You know the one. The one that tells you you're about to be caught.

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Church wrote: »

My reason tells me no, but I've got that feeling. You know the one. The one that tells you you're about to be caught.

I'm pretty sure that, unless the person's religion requires human sacrifice, rape, and/or child prostitution, you can't say that.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2007

I'm pretty sure that, unless the person's religion requires human sacrifice, rape, and/or child prostitution, you can't say that.

Really really?

Because I think the idea of selling out your entire species to some all-powerful deity that basically wants to enslave all of humanity for the sake of his own vanity is pretty much the definition of morally repugnant.

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    This is the Mitt Romney thread, isn't it? Really best to stay out of it.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Mitt Romney is a funny name.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I have no idea who Mitt Romney is, so maybe. I'm talking about the one entitled "The Christians".

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Haphazard wrote: »

Gelo Orange is pretty good.

Frosteey on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I have no idea who Mitt Romney is, so maybe. I'm talking about the one entitled "The Christians".

I just saw that. I don't see anything in Goatmon's posts that should have precipitated your response.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Frosteey wrote: »

That's a name? :o

Haphazard on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Okies, bedtime now.

Keep fighting the good fight, boys.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Night, Irene.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

I just saw that. I don't see anything in Goatmon's posts that should have precipitated your response.

Nothing in his posts did. I just resent the idea that being a good Christian is the same thing as being a good person.

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Is it always wrong to enter into a relationship for reasons other than pure mutual attraction and desire to be together? I know that I like this girl but I know that my want to be with her is being compounded by the fact that she is the quintessential Caretaker archetype and I will settle in beside her like a codependent kitten

if we're both happy with that, does it make it an effectual relationship? I'm sure that I can ease out of being so utterly dependent into something better but it would honestly be next-to-impossible for me to enter a relationship at this point as anything other than utterly dependent,

but at the same time a relationship would do wonders for my stability

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited December 2007

That's a name? :o

The top of last year's college football recruiting class.

Other front-runners-
    Quindarious Carr
    T-Bob Hebert
    D.J. Looney
    Alesana Alesana
    Prince Amukamara
    Nick Toon
    Quantavius Sturdivant

Not necessarily all humorous, but damn, I wish my name was Quantavius Sturdivant.

Frosteey on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Oboro wrote: »
    Is it always wrong to enter into a relationship for reasons other than pure mutual attraction and desire to be together? I know that I like this girl but I know that my want to be with her is being compounded by the fact that she is the quintessential Caretaker archetype and I will settle in beside her like a codependent kitten

if we're both happy with that, does it make it an effectual relationship? I'm sure that I can ease out of being so utterly dependent into something better but it would honestly be next-to-impossible for me to enter a relationship at this point as anything other than utterly dependent,

Well, you kinda answered it already, Obo.

t Frosteey: Awesome! :D

Haphazard on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

I don't see how you wanting to be cared for and another person wanting to care for you does not fall under mutually desiring to be together?

Frosteey on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

I don't see how you wanting to be cared for and another person wanting to care for you does not fall under mutually desiring to be together?

She's just getting her excuses in order for when it inevitably crashes and burns.

Leitner on
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    I don't know, it just strikes me as fundamentally wrong. I guess it's silly to think all relationships need to be equal parts give and take, I might just be averse to letting myself be happy-- like usual. :|

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Seems so, Obo.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2007
    20001110h.jpg

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    ege02 wrote: »
    I step into the coffee shop.

It is crowded. Most of the tables are full, their occupants busy studying or conversing. Several heads turn towards me as the door starts closing. Others are more subtle. I quickly take mental note of the cute ones and walk up to the register to order my peppermint Americano. The barista is an acquaintance; she feigns happiness to see me and asks how my day is going. She is good at her job. We chat for a few minutes, then I pay with cash and drop the change into the tip jar. The coins land with loud clinks.

By now my coffee is ready. Perfect timing. As I walk towards the counter to get it, I notice a girl sitting at the far end of the bar looking at me. Our eyes meet briefly, then she looks away nonchalantly and goes back to typing on her laptop. I grab my coffee, thank the guy, and turn around to look for an empty seat. But I already know where I am going to sit. I walk up towards the back of the room, my steps unhurried and carefully pronounced. I ask the laptop girl if the seat next to her is taken. She smiles and says no. Our eyes meet again. This time we're both smiling. I sit down.

The Americano is hot. Too hot. But I like it that way; the anticipation as it cools down to a harmless temperature is what makes that first sip so delicious. I take out my advanced macroeconomics book and set it in front of me. The laptop girl takes a quick, subtle glance at the title. I pretend not to notice; I know that she is trying to gather as much information about me as quickly as possible, and it would be rude to interrupt that process.

My barista acquaintance is working behind the bar, right in front of us. I strike up a light conversation with her, mostly joking and flirting. I am not interested in the conversation, but it serves its purpose: I notice the laptop girl is not paying attention to her work, but listening to us and laughing every now and then. She wants to be a part of it, to be the target of my attention. She doesn't know that she
    has been the target of my attention since I caught her looking at me earlier, and this makes it all the more fun.

I go back to studying. I want to get some work done before the next round. The Americano is great. There is jazz music playing in the background. I look at the plasma screen on the wall and make note of the song that is playing. The guy barista that prepared my coffee comes behind the counter in front of us and starts opening a big cardboard box. It is distracting. The laptop girl then raises her head from the screen and asks the barista if he knows a synonym for a word that she has apparently used five times already in the same paragraph. But the word doesn't matter and the question isn't really directed at the barista, who says he doesn't know. The question is directed at
    me. If I ignore her question that would mean I am rejecting her. It would be like blatantly refusing to take the bait. But I want the bait. I want her. So I turn and tell her a synonym. She smiles and thanks me, and our eyes meet again.

I get more work done. Meanwhile I'm feeling that she wants to talk to me; she is getting restless and glancing in my direction more often. But she doesn't want to start up a conversation out of nowhere; that would be like breaking the rules and barging in without an invitation. She needs a bait. So I give her the bait; I drop my pen on my book and sigh loudly. She takes the cue and jumps at it eagerly: when is my exam? She is asking because I look worried. We start talking. Her name is Kaitlin. Kaitlin is cute, with deep blue eyes and blond hair. She has a very pretty smile. She is writing her China Studies paper and is having trouble getting past page eleven. I have that effect on people, but I don't tell her that.

We talk for a while, about school, about family, about life. It is a fun conversation, but I know that I have to make my exist at a high point. I crack a joke and we laugh, then I look at my watch and say I have to go. She is asking me if I am giving up. She might mean giving up on studying, or giving up on
    us. I tell her I'm simply taking a break. I feel like winking, but I simply smile instead. She says she wants to take a break too, but she wants to get to page fifteen first. She says she'll be there later on after grabbing dinner.

I am going back there too, but I don't tell her that. She already knows. I pack up my things, say bye and start walking away. I can feel her eyes on my back, and I have to resist the temptation to look back to see if she is really looking. But I have beaten that temptation to the ground a long time ago.

I step outside and can't help but grin. Life is great.

ahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahaha

oh god

gold

somebody chatlog this

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.