As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PSP] Pon Pon Patapon!

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    sonictk wrote: »
    man, cocoreccho wasn't mediocre. for the like two bucks or whatever they charged it was a bloody fun few hours of entertainment
    I don't really like to decide about a game based on its price, how fun a game is should be the key factor in forming my opinion about it imho. I didn't really enjoy the spin-off because I felt it deviated way too much from the original concept of LocoRoco, and wasn't even much of an improvement in the end. I understand a lot of people prefer the butterfly concept, of course, but for me it feels like a step back rather than one forward. Anyway that is another story altogether.

And if I don't end up in some snow-xmas-themed level later on I'm going to be very disappointed. =\ So where's the US demo of this thing anyway? It might help me understand the skill/level system a bit better.

having never played the original, i found it great fun, especially to play with my girlfriend. it looks beautiful, it's not stressful at all, and those little guys are so cute

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    tetsuoZshimatetsuoZshima Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    where was that thread about unique games....this is by far the closest I've seen in a loooong time

tetsuoZshima on
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Whoa where the hell did this game come from!?

I love LocoRoco and this new kind of rythym game (I don't like rythym games outside of GH) has perked my interest :) I'll definitely check out some reviews on its US release and import it if theyre favourable and I'm getting tired of Wipeout Pulse.

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AhhseeAhhsee Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    If you've been following the PSP news, this game has been talked about quite a bit as a spiritual successor to LocoRoco. The problem is if you haven't. Yeah, this game may come out of left field, but it looks incredible, and the strategy that you can have giving commands to do just what you want in the battles, sounds amazing, all with 4 simple drums.

This is one of those games I'm happy I got a PSP early, so I can get this the day it comes out. Too many amazing unique games like this on a system that got a lot of crap kicked at it.

The reasons for not owning one are becoming fewer and fewer...

Ahhsee on
    newsigji1.jpg
    Click image for my huge backlog :\\\
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    bruin wrote: »
    images

Is that a UMD demo? If so, a big 'fuck you' to Sony. UMD Demos suck, get that god-damn thing online.

I would assume so, for press only. But yeah, if they have a demo ready they might as well make it available to the public at some point.

bruin on
  • Options
    sonictksonictk Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I've updated my opinions after spending a little bit more time with the game and actually got down to working out the micromanagement aspects of the game. There's a little bit more I haven't covered, such as minigames but for the most part I think my review is complete.

Some excerpts of the new review:
    ...Another RPG aspect that Patapon borrows from its RPG camaraderies is that of equipment customization, which should be ornately familiar with anyone who’s even glanced at any of the Final Fantasy offerings. Basically, your worthless minions are divided into individual units, squads, if you will, based on their predisposition, such as axe guy, bow guy and spear guy. (Or, if you want to be more romantic, I guess you could call it splitting your platoon into archers, soldiers and spearmen, but hey, where’s the fun in that?)

...Patapon’s item customization so far seems pretty well-done and, at the very least, isn’t a requirement in order to get past some boss monster which takes off half your health in a single hit unless you specifically follow a certain predetermined route of pimping out your character. At any rate, the interface for doing so is decent enough, and changing equipment is a relatively painless process, although I think an additional ‘assign same equipment to all squad members‘ option would have been welcomed.

...The world select menu allows you to choose between focusing on item gathering, which involves your army attacking wild beasts instead of other tribes, or actual combat (thus advancing in the game and unlocking new worlds to explore).

Full review available here: http://www.sonictk.com/2007/12/21/patapon/

Also, I've taken a few more screenshots of gameplay, two of which are in my review:
    snap008mx0.jpg
    snap006uw6.jpg
    snap000jd1.jpg
    snap002kg7.jpg
    snap003iz8.jpg
    snap004lj0.jpg
    snap007eu6.jpg
    snap009af6.jpg
    snap010ep4.jpg
    snap011yl7.jpg

sonictk on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Pressing triangle equips them with your best stuff automatically.

Dracil on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    That's the point, I don't want to have the game equip them with the best stuff in case they die...and I somehow am unable to pick it up. I'd prefer to have the SWAT (game) option that I could assign my equipment based on a standard set...but then again I guess most jRPGs seem to favour a "equip 'best' items automatically" option for some reason.

sonictk on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    This game might be the tipping point on me buying a PSP. But there's already like 5 games I'm buying in February. :|

bruin on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Pretty sure you don't lose stuff from dead people

Dracil on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Their weapons and stuff do drop on the ground though, I'm assuming that if you don't pick them up they're gone.

Plus to resurrect them you need to use items anyway, don't you?

sonictk on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    The only pickable from dead pons is their cap. It's the same cap that's buried when you create a new pon.

Dracil on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Wait, you have the game too?
    Tell me, how the hell do you play the tree dancing minigame? I know you're supposed to hit O in a sequence, and that O . O . O is the first sequence, but what does he mean with the next prompt after that?

sonictk on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Welp, won $100 at the company xmas party tonight, and I found out my December paycheck will have an extra 20% tacked on as an xmas bonus, so I will most definitely be treating myself to a new PSP and picking this up the very instant it drops. Got a lot of catching up to do on the system as well.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Just got me a PSP, this game looking pretty good.

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Wait, you have the game too?
    Tell me, how the hell do you play the tree dancing minigame? I know you're supposed to hit O in a sequence, and that O . O . O is the first sequence, but what does he mean with the next prompt after that?
    Listen to how he sings, press in the same rhythm. Or if you can read Japanese, look at what he says.

Dracil on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I am trying to figure out what he's saying, but I can't understand his second prompt after he sings the first rhythm. I can just follow his second rhythm and hit O continuously or am I supposed to perform something else before doing that during the intermission?

sonictk on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Goddamnit I've just hit the
    lava level where you need to summon rain and it's crazy annoying to do that summon before the lava kills my ass

Also I just got 4 of my warriors killed from fighting a goddamn fire dragon, so now my tank squad is reduced to just one guy until I can find some items to create more of em. =\

And a bunch of new screenshots:
    snap012sk6.jpg
    snap013is9.jpg
    CYCLONE RUSH

More:
    snap015bv5.jpg

snap017uc8.jpg

snap018ay3.jpg

snap020xv6.jpg

snap024pv1.jpg

snap029jc8.jpg

sonictk on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    CES '08 trailer

I'm going to update the OP soon with all the shit that's come up since I made it

bruin on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Alright, the OP is all caught up

bruin on
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Okay I couldn't resist the game but I'm a bit confused by it. How do I get past the second mission? That is, I beat it, but I can't go beyond that. The level option thing has one level with a picture of meat, and the second with an axe or whatever, but I can't get to the third level, even after beating the second.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    SPOILER PLZ I don't really care but I guess some people probably would then you would be banned and that isn't good amirite?

Ok.
    The world select menu basically works like this (as far as I've played). You have the worlds, and icons depicting what the mission involves. A meat icon indicates a Gathering mission, a Sword an Attack mission (which basically advances the story) and a Sauron Eye a Boss mission.

If you cannot advance yet you probably need to defeat either a boss or need to create more worthless minions from your supply of items. Other than this I haven't chanced upon any other conditions needed for progress.
    I wish you good luck good sir.

sonictk on
  • Options
    WheezerWheezer Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Be sure to pick up the caps the dead guys leave behind. If you pick up the hat and complete the mission you will get your guy back with all the equipment. If you don't pick up the hat and complete the mission you will loose the guy permanently.

You can also press start to cancel out of a mission of you're about to face a critical loss. For example one of those red guys you create with special loot. I saw a cavalary unit with a price tag of 1200, made from a red ore and some weird drumlike drop I have one of. Couldn't save that much douhg though.

For the first desert mission, remember you can play chaka - chaka - pata - pom, and if there are no enemies your army won't march forward - that way you can build a combo in one place and then hit x - xx - xx.

Wheezer on
    megamansig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Be sure to pick up the caps the dead guys leave behind. If you pick up the hat and complete the mission you will get your guy back with all the equipment. If you don't pick up the hat and complete the mission you will loose the guy permanently.
    This didn't happen for me though, I lost my entire Axe squad to a goddamn boss even though I picked everything up, and now I don't have enough ore to make them again.

sonictk on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I am all over this when it drops out of the quivering loins of the Newgame Queen Bug.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So I'm on a level where my spear guys are being attacked by axe guys. How do I add axe guys to my army? Any ideas?

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    You have to create them, then add them as a squad in the squad management menu right before you confirm mission start.

sonictk on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Guys I am very sorry to report that while testing this game at various areas I have come up with the following conclusions:

1. Playing this game alone at home in a soundproof room with Sennheiser HD490 headphones: Excellent idea
    2. Playing this game at a sparsely populated Macdonalds with a friend even with sound jacked up: Mediocre plan
    3. Playing this game on the train without looking like a moron with headphones: singularly horrible brainwave
    4. Playing this game with a VACUUM CLEANER going off next to you: let someone else play and laugh at them

The visual cues are just not as accurate as hearing your hapless army scream out your chants.

Also I present more screenshots because I know, someone out there will appreciate these.
    snap002aj1.jpg
    snap004xo9.jpg

snap0121gw7.jpg

snap030wx6.jpg

snap026tm7.jpg

sonictk on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Those are gorgeous, the second and fourth ones especially

Also new videos at GameTrailers
    "Rainstorm rhythm gameplay"
    "Dirty eyeball gameplay"

bruin on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    You know I was hoping that rainstorm trailer would actually show one of
    the rainstorm summon sequences

But it didn't, so I guess I'll have to take some shots of that on my next PSP excursion.

sonictk on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    What does the altar do? It brings up a menu that shows all my items but I can't do anything with them.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Come to me, Patapon, my love.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    What does the altar do? It brings up a menu that shows all my items but I can't do anything with them.
    That is kind of the altar's purpose. It shows you your inventory.

sonictk on
  • Options
    SulSul Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    i read the name of the thread...and said..i must look. i don't know why, but i must.

goddamnit.

i will not buy a PSP...but i lust for this game.

Sul on
    Who is the mortal I see every morning with more than a little bit he must be important
    Nintendo Friend Code: SW-0689-9921-0006
  • Options
    LordNibblerLordNibbler Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I bought'd a PSP recently and this is my most wanted game. But it don't come for another month! So sad.

LordNibbler on
    Twitter
    PSN: JPBrowncoat Xbox: BamSaidTheLaday Also on Steam! Streaming games!
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Oh. Okay, that works I guess.

Also, where do I get more ore?

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    You rang.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Oh. Okay, that works I guess.

Also, where do I get more ore?
    KILL MORE

sonictk on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Okay, tell me if I'm doing this right.
    I got the rain miracle, and I equipped it on my standard bearer guy. I go to the desert, follow the tutorial on how to summon it, go through the level, there's some snail which is a pain because he goes slower than I move, I summon the rain again and smash rocks where the fire spouts were and well, then I die because the rain runs out. I tried summoning it again but I fumbled and lost the Fever and my little guys were incinerated. This level sucks.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif