As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Health care - who fucked up?

VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
So here's a question for the masses:

Who, if anyone, fucked up the American health care system?

There seems to be many theories floating around:

1) No one did, it's fine as it is.
2) Health Care providers did it.
3) Pharma companies/Drug manufacturers/Health equipment manufacturers did it.
4) The American citizen did it.
5) McDonalds (or other fat-filled product producer) did it.
6) Capitalism did it.
7) Communism did it.
8) The Tooth fairy did it.

So what do you guys think? And why?

3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
VThornheart on

• Options
    slowrollslowroll __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    9) Other. Health care economics is a really difficult field that intersects a lot with equity issues. All I can say from the Canadian experience is that "free" health care is not free by any means. It takes 3 months to get an MRI in Canada, we have significant looming issues with baby boomers (e.g. think about your dad getting turned away after a heart attack, this is not hyperbole given current funding), our doctors are aging and moving to the US because of wage differentials, and the box for funding is growing incredibly (one of Canada's largest budget items). Our delivery system is GROSSLY inefficient (highest per capita spenders, but not close to highest per capita receivers). This does not mean the US is necessarily better. I'm just pointing out that there are some brutal drawbacks to free healthcare and that some compromise must exist with market dynamics.

slowroll on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    10) The insurance industry

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    slowroll wrote: »
    9) Other. Health care economics is a really difficult field that intersects a lot with equity issues. All I can say from the Canadian experience is that "free" health care is not free by any means. It takes 3 months to get an MRI in Canada, we have significant looming issues with baby boomers (e.g. think about your dad getting turned away after a heart attack, this is not hyperbole given current funding), our doctors are aging and moving to the US because of wage differentials, and the box for funding is growing incredibly (one of Canada's largest budget items). Our delivery system is GROSSLY inefficient (highest per capita spenders, but not close to highest per capita receivers). This does not mean the US is necessarily better. I'm just pointing out that there are some brutal drawbacks to free healthcare and that some compromise must exist with market dynamics.

Actually, the Canadian system is cheaper and more efficient per capita than the American system. Regardless, most of the problems you are talking about stem from the perfect storm of the Federal government cutting transfer payments significantly during the '90's (healthcare is a provincial responsibility, and it used to be funded 50-50 by the feds and provinces), and there being an aging population which lives significantly longer than previous generations. Most of the costs being incurred by the Canadian system are incurred during the last year of a patient's life, and because of the aforementioned increase in number of old people, the costs are going to naturally go up.

I'd still take the Canadian system any day of the week over the American one. Even if there has been mismanagement fiscally in the past, the benefits of having free, universal medical care far outweigh any drawbacks.

saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    10) The insurance industry

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    saggio wrote: »

Actually, the Canadian system is cheaper and more efficient per capita than the American system. Regardless, most of the problems you are talking about stem from the perfect storm of the Federal government cutting transfer payments significantly during the '90's (healthcare is a provincial responsibility, and it used to be funded 50-50 by the feds and provinces), and there being an aging population which lives significantly longer than previous generations. Most of the costs being incurred by the Canadian system are incurred during the last year of a patient's life, and because of the aforementioned increase in number of old people, the costs are going to naturally go up.

I don't want completely private. But saying that 100% coinsurance is the best way to go is not looking at price incentives. Any time the price is zero, there will be over-provision.

I'd still take the Canadian system any day of the week over the American one. Even if there has been mismanagement fiscally in the past, the benefits of having free, universal medical care far outweigh any drawbacks.
    Cite your source please. Having a 100% co-insurance with no competing system is not the best solution - it leads to rampant overprovision. We have staff shortages and it's a huge budget item. Writing it off as "fiscal mismanagement" is not enough when my parents worked their entire lives paying more than 50% of their income so they could wait 3-4 months while a tumor grows inside of them for an MRI. It's irresponsible. Edit: it's also not sustainable.

I don't want completely private. But saying that 100% coinsurance is the best way to go is not looking at price incentives. Any time the price is zero, there will be over-provision.

slowroll on
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Are there any examples of Western states (or other I guess) having a public/private healthcare hybrid system that works?

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Cite your source please. Having a 100% co-insurance with no competing system is not the best solution - it leads to rampant overprovision. We have staff shortages and it's a huge budget item. Writing it off as "fiscal mismanagement" is not enough when my parents worked their entire lives paying more than 50% of their income so they could wait 3-4 months while a tumor grows inside of them for an MRI. It's irresponsible. Edit: it's also not sustainable.

Ugh, you know nothing about how socialized medical insurance works do you? America pays more per capita then any other 1st world country. Why? Because competing insurance providers require massive bureaucratic overhead. Not to mention an entire province gives you significant bargaining power when your buying medication and other such things.

The problem Canada faces is the exact same problem every country faces. The Baby Boom has come to bite us in the ass.
    Narian wrote: »
    Are there any examples of Western states (or other I guess) having a public/private healthcare hybrid system that works?

Canada has one. While basic medical needs are fully covered by your provincial health plan, there's tons of companies out there to purchase supplementary coverage from, that goes above and beyond the standard.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    shryke wrote: »

Ugh, you know nothing about how socialized medical insurance works do you? America pays more per capita then any other 1st world country. Why? Because competing insurance providers require massive bureaucratic overhead. Not to mention an entire province gives you significant bargaining power when your buying medication and other such things.

The problem Canada faces is the exact same problem every country faces. The Baby Boom has come to bite us in the ass.
    Apparently you don't know anything about state monopsonies and doctor-labour markets. The difference between the two systems is that one meets demand and the other has a price ceiling resulting in shortages. This is rudimentary economics. I never, ever once said the US had a better system. I am saying that ours is structurally rigid and we will pay a huge price.

slowroll on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Canada has one. While basic medical needs are fully covered by your provincial health plan, there's tons of companies out there to purchase supplementary coverage from, that goes above and beyond the standard.
    Yes, drug plans, etc. but we've outlawed any competing basic medical needs (which are not basic when you need surgery) systems in our constitution. We're the only country in the world to do that.

slowroll on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Yes, drug plans, etc. but we've outlawed any competing basic medical needs (which are not basic when you need surgery) systems in our constitution. We're the only country in the world to do that.

Because the efficiency of socialized medicine comes from the lack of overlap. By allowing private insurance companies to cover that too, you undermine the thing that makes the system efficient. Suddenly hospitals and such have to figure out who's paying your bills, instead of automagically knowing it's the government. That requires bureaucratic overhead and THAT costs money.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Whoa! What were the odds that someone else chose the same icon as me? Wierd! I mean, Edgar's a popular character and all, but that's odd. I may have to switch mine... it's the equivalent of a woman being at a party and seeing someone else wearing the same outfit.

Anyways, on the subject, I figured option 2 was the same as "the insurance industry" (hence why I didn't explicitly say it in the OP). Are they different entities?

VThornheart on
  • Options
    Mom2KatMom2Kat Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    What the hell province do you live in that your parents pay half their wages in medicaL???!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry to tell you but here in BC a family of 3 or more will pay $108 PER MONTH!!! And if you have a decent job you probably get part of that paid by your work for enrolling in a group MSP rate. Hell even 7-Eleven does that for part timers after a year! The most I could see is from and extend benifits premium, but those are optional. And not a provincal service.

Fuck I hate when Canadians start shitting on a system that is there for them and raving about wait times. Yeah they can suck but guess what, it is TRIAGED NOT who can pay the most and the fastest. If you need anythign done it is prioritized by NEED! Most of the wait time problem is with having our poulation spread out and only have the big stuff in only the major centers. Yeah it needs to be worked on, and it is damn you. I work in an isolated community that is 5 hours from van if the ferries are running right, 1 hour by plan, a bit more when we have to heliccopter out apatient. and we are the major trauma center for our end of the coast.

But even though I could make way more in the states guess what, you would never get me to work in that kind of system. I want to work for all my patients notjust the ones with the right plans. I want my patients to concentrate on getting better, not selling thier life to pay for the procedure.

GRAAARR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /me shaking in incoherent rage

Mom2Kat on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Because the efficiency of socialized medicine comes from the lack of overlap. By allowing private insurance companies to cover that too, you undermine the thing that makes the system efficient. Suddenly hospitals and such have to figure out who's paying your bills, instead of automagically knowing it's the government. That requires bureaucratic overhead and THAT costs money.
    You know what else costs money? Dying. Here's how a price ceiling works: your prices are artificially lower, but you pay equivalent costs in waiting times and fewer doctors. This results in you waiting for a long fucking time in a hospital. Have you ever known someone who was bussed from hospital to hospital only be turned down and die in the ambulance? No? Then you have no idea what the non-monetary cost of lower payments to healthcare are.

There needs to be some allocation system that makes us wage competitive or else this "cheaper" healthcare is not actually cheaper.

The problem isn't whether we're private or not. What we have to do is stop deluding ourselves that we're wage-competitive, because we're not. Look at the demographics for doctors and see how many are about to retire in the next 5 years. There will be a wake-up call when you go to see one of two specialists in the whole country.

slowroll on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Mom2Kat wrote: »
    What the hell province do you live in that your parents pay half their wages in medicaL???!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry to tell you but here in BC a family of 3 or more will pay $108 PER MONTH!!! And if you have a decent job you probably get part of that paid by your work for enrolling in a group MSP rate. Hell even 7-Eleven does that for part timers after a year! The most I could see is from and extend benifits premium, but those are optional. And not a provincal service.

Fuck I hate when Canadians start shitting on a system that is there for them and raving about wait times. Yeah they can suck but guess what, it is TRIAGED NOT who can pay the most and the fastest. If you need anythign done it is prioritized by NEED! Most of the wait time problem is with having our poulation spread out and only have the big stuff in only the major centers. Yeah it needs to be worked on, and it is damn you. I work in an isolated community that is 5 hours from van if the ferries are running right, 1 hour by plan, a bit more when we have to heliccopter out apatient. and we are the major trauma center for our end of the coast.

But even though I could make way more in the states guess what, you would never get me to work in that kind of system. I want to work for all my patients notjust the ones with the right plans. I want my patients to concentrate on getting better, not selling thier life to pay for the procedure.

GRAAARR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /me shaking in incoherent rage

Thanks, I forgotten that other problem. Rural areas. Doctors don't wanna move to them. I can't blame them.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

108 per month? Damn! I have to pay over 200 a month for my wife who's in perfect health in her early 20's, and that's with a BAD insurance plan here in the states (one where we have to pay 50% coinsurance and a copayment).

I've always felt that American health insurance has been bending us over. Hearing that figure makes me cringe thinking about how much money we throw out over here.

VThornheart on
  • Options
    Mom2KatMom2Kat Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    After having done the math, with all that Americans pay in premiums and hidden taxes, whenever there is bitching about our income taxe rates we still come out on top, and Americans spend more GDP% on health care then we do to insure a smaller number of procedures and patients.

I would really be making about the smae if I moved to the states to work there.

We are fairly Rural here, but we have the added advantage of being resonably close to Vancouver/Vancouver Island and having fairly low housing and other costs. We have a large portion of foreign Doctors who come here to get in some service once they finally get out of our rediculous residency requierments for foreign Doctor's who end up staying and loving it.

That is another issue we need to address we have and would have more Doctors and Nurses quite willing to imigrate if we would streamline the process muh more.

Mom2Kat on
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I've always felt that American health insurance has been bending us over.

When the health system is more concerned about money than patients then, in my rose-colored Canadian glasses, you have a problem.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    jotatejotate Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I work with a woman that has worked in medical billing in both Canada and the United States. If you even mention Canada system > US system, she'll go on a half hour rant about how wrong you are. I'll see if I can't take some notes the next time she does that.

jotate on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    That is another issue we need to address we have and would have more Doctors and Nurses quite willing to imigrate if we would streamline the process muh more.

That applies to any skilled workers. A friend of my mothers is a chemical engineer and it took him ages to get in. It would have been easier if he'd just clammed to be a skill-less refugee.

shryke on
  • Options
    ThaiboxerThaiboxer Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Richard Nixon?

I mean Define "fucked up" here.

The Health Care providers would say things are fine. Of course the are Businesses and they are making money, the more money they make the better, thus things are fine.

From the Doctors perspective things are probably fine too. I mean they make money in various ways, salaries paid or profits from a family practice. Plus they get the benefit of knowing that they help people on a daily basis.

Now for the individuals, well that's a different story.

Thaiboxer on
    Playing WoW "only when you are bored" is like smoking "only when you are drinking".
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Thaiboxer wrote: »
    Richard Nixon?

I, too, am inclined to blame Richard Nixon in most situations. ;-)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    ThaiboxerThaiboxer Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Well shit I don't remember which documentary I was watching (sicko?) that said that he was the one who made it possible for private companies to start raking in the $$ from Illness (misfortune)? Well, supposedly he approved some piece of legislation somewhere that made the US system what it is today. Sorry I'm so vague, I just don't remember the details atm.

This may sounds economically naive, but as far as I'm concerned, if I get sick, the money should go from me to my doctor, to pay him for his services. Unfortunately, most Americans can't afford a simple Drs visit much less surgery.

I think a good step might be some kind of personal Health savings plan. The problem being that "we" can't be trusted to have our own savings for such a thing, and that even if we did, in a worst case scenario, it may not be enough.

Thaiboxer on
    Playing WoW "only when you are bored" is like smoking "only when you are drinking".
  • Options
    RatheRathe Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    You know what else costs money? Dying. Here's how a price ceiling works: your prices are artificially lower, but you pay equivalent costs in waiting times and fewer doctors. This results in you waiting for a long fucking time in a hospital. Have you ever known someone who was bussed from hospital to hospital only be turned down and die in the ambulance? No? Then you have no idea what the non-monetary cost of lower payments to healthcare are.

Obviously in your theory you have forgotten to include the fact that in a non-universal system more people die from never receiving treatment or a procedure then those that die in a universal system from waiting. You also havent included the consequences of people seeking less medical treatment due to the costs they have to pay or the negative influence on your health from losing your house due to paying for medical bills(number 1 cause of personal bankruptcy in the USA is from paying for medical expenses).

I'm not arguing that our system in Canada is perfect because its not. However its a hell of a lot better then the USA's. There is definite inefficiency in our system and they need to spend considerable effort in streamlining the process in a more efficient way. The babyboomers are already fucking the system up and will fuck it up much more in the years to come. Just throwing money at the system isn't going to fix it.

Personally I think that there is only so much they can do without looking at some of our immigration policies most notably increasing immigration rapidly and putting alot more emphasis on the programs for getting immigrant doctors certified instead of having them drive cabs.

Rathe on
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Dean Acheson, the American Medical Association and the United Auto Workers.

Shinto on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007

A variety of European countries have mixed systems, with varying levels of success, iirc.

I haven't fully read it, and I don't vouch for its accuracy or neutrality, but here's a Wiki article comparing US and Canadian systems.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Rathe wrote: »

Obviously in your theory you have forgotten to include the fact that in a non-universal system more people die from never receiving treatment or a procedure then those that die in a universal system from waiting. You also havent included the consequences of people seeking less medical treatment due to the costs they have to pay or the negative influence on your health from losing your house due to paying for medical bills(number 1 cause of personal bankruptcy in the USA is from paying for medical expenses).
    That's not the point. It doesn't matter how the US system performs (which is definitely price-point not as good), we're still underperforming, like you said. What I was trying to point out is that covering it up by saying, "oh, well we pay less" is not a valid argument because it misses the point of hidden costs such as doctor shortages. It's just not a valid metric for performance. There needs to be a higher standard than "better than the US."

slowroll on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

If the majority of American citizen's had made this a large enough issue I would think that sometime in the last 50 years you would have elected a president that would have campaigned on this being his main issue. I'm not even sure you have had someone run let alone win with that mandate because they would also have to acknowledge increased taxes. Anything called taxes are the devil or something regardless of if they are cheaper then the alternatives.

Most people like to blame HMOs but honestly all they do is fuck you over like every other corporation does. HMOs could not exist nor exist in the way they do without your government's backing. Your government's laws cant exist past a term without the citizen's backing. To be fair your political system is fucked when you consider the interest of the average citizen so I would put some blame on your government as well.

I'm honestly really surprised there is no universal health care in the States. Fifty years from now hopefully there will be as its pretty backwards for you guys not to have it.

Rathe on
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007

If the majority of American citizen's had made this a large enough issue I would think that sometime in the last 50 years you would have elected a president that would have campaigned on this being his main issue. I'm not even sure you have had someone run let alone win with that mandate because they would also have to acknowledge increased taxes. Anything called taxes are the devil or something regardless of if they are cheaper then the alternatives.

Most people like to blame HMOs but honestly all they do is fuck you over like every other corporation does. HMOs could not exist nor exist in the way they do without your government's backing. Your government's laws cant exist past a term without the citizen's backing. To be fair your political system is fucked when you consider the interest of the average citizen so I would put some blame on your government as well.

I'm honestly really surprised there is no universal health care in the States. Fifty years from now hopefully there will be as its pretty backwards for you guys not to have it.

Eh. Different historical experience than other countries.

Shinto on
  • Options
    saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

First of all, I'm not sure what you mean by overprovision. You mean there is overlap in services, or what?

Staff shortages in the medical industry are in many ways more complex than other industries. The most important members of the system (doctors and nurses) require higher than average amounts of schooling, and the lag time for increasing output from medical schools to churning out new doctors is close to a decade. So when there was a surplus of experienced doctors and nurses in the system in the early 90's, along with an overabundance of new graduates, all provincial governments (but especially BC) cut funding for spots at medical schools, sometimes significantly (10+ seats or more). Now, most of those experienced doctors and nurses are reaching retirement age (being themselves mostly baby boomers), and there isn't in place a viable replacement rate of new graduates, due mainly in part to the lack of space available at medical schools for a decade and a half.

On top of that, there is no national accreditation program for certified, foreign graduates and professionals (outside of the UK and the US) - so we have quite literally a plethora of skilled immigrant labour that is unable to step up and work in the system. Of those that are able to actually get in, we have the problem of incredibly high attrition rates (especially if they have to go through the stupidly long "upgrade" programs), which increases the lag time to make the original advantage of using skilled immigrant labour irrelevant.
    my parents worked their entire lives paying more than 50% of their income

Oh, come off it. Don't pull that stupid Canadian Taxpayer Federation bullshit. Your parents' money goes to a hell of a lot more than healthcare, and I'm sure that if that's all you wanted your tax money to go to, you'd be paying significantly less in tax. While getting boned by the lack of roads, police, and fresh water.
    could wait 3-4 months while a tumor grows inside of them for an MRI.

Their tax payments have no impact on MRI services. You are looking at the wrong side of the equation, here. You pay the government, and the government is supposed to organize, provide, and pay for the services we get. It's the fiscal and administrative mismanagement by previous governments, along with demographics shifts and bad immigration policy that cause the shortage of MRIs.

In fact, it's likely that it is your parents who are impacting my ability as a young, relatively healthy adult male to get timely medical service. Tell your parents to die quicker or stop bitching.
    Corvus wrote:
    A variety of European countries have mixed systems, with varying levels of success, iirc.

Yeah, France has the best system in the world, and it's a hybrid. But I'm fairly certain that for the average Frenchman, the system works very much like our own.

saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893
  • Options
    edited December 2007

That's not the point. It doesn't matter how the US system performs (which is definitely price-point not as good), we're still underperforming, like you said. What I was trying to point out is that covering it up by saying, "oh, well we pay less" is not a valid argument because it misses the point of hidden costs such as doctor shortages. It's just not a valid metric for performance. There needs to be a higher standard than "better than the US."

I agree that we shouldn't just pack it in and say things are all right because it is better then the US. Your argument gave me the impression that you were saying the hidden cost of wait times outweighed the benefits of a publicly funded system which it doesn't so I made a post regarding that.

As far as wait times are concerned I'm not convinced that your solution to just paying doctor's more money to keep them from going to the States would be viable. First you have to consider how much of the shortage it would deal with then have to consider its not just the ones you leave you have to pay more its the majority that are staying which you have to pay more as well. Unfortunate as it is with a public system there is a limit to how much your citizen's will bare spending on sustaining it. Any savings from streamlining the process would be better spent on capital investments for health care as that is the other area that has deficiencies. Extra doctors can be obtained as I mentioned through removing some of the red tape involved in getting them Canadian credentials. There are about 4000 trained doctors in Ontario unable to practice, and we can always poach more. I don't see much reason to pay someone that already makes an upper class salary more money, especially when its no guarantee that it would provide enough doctors to stop the shortage.

Increased immigration is the way to go. "Your a doctor?", bam "Welcome to Canada, here let us help you out with getting certified. Oh you say you have some healthy future tax payers to contribute to our pyramid
    scheme health care,,,,err I mean children, bring them."

Rathe on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

First of all, I'm not sure what you mean by overprovision. You mean there is overlap in services, or what?
    Overprovision means you provide too much. When the price is 0, people consume too much. There is no connection between what you pay in income taxes and what you consume. There needs to be MORE incentives for cost-sharing up to a point.
    Staff shortages in the medical industry are in many ways more complex than other industries. The most important members of the system (doctors and nurses) require higher than average amounts of schooling, and the lag time for increasing output from medical schools to churning out new doctors is close to a decade. So when there was a surplus of experienced doctors and nurses in the system in the early 90's, along with an overabundance of new graduates, all provincial governments (but especially BC) cut funding for spots at medical schools, sometimes significantly (10+ seats or more). Now, most of those experienced doctors and nurses are reaching retirement age (being themselves mostly baby boomers), and there isn't in place a viable replacement rate of new graduates, due mainly in part to the lack of space available at medical schools for a decade and a half.
    They're more complex because they're organized by a bureaucracy. "Well, you see, it's more complex because there were spots and we graduated too many and well now the glut is a shortage." I won't accept some bullshit history lesson as an excuse for lack of planning. Demographics cause a shortage, right. That's why there is a shortage in retirement homes... oh wait. You see the problem with that argument is that there's never a shortage in the market: the price just goes up.
    Oh, come off it. Don't pull that stupid Canadian Taxpayer Federation bullshit. Your parents' money goes to a hell of a lot more than healthcare, and I'm sure that if that's all you wanted your tax money to go to, you'd be paying significantly less in tax. While getting boned by the lack of roads, police, and fresh water.
    Don't distort the argument. Payments are still proportional to income tax. The point is that they pay a lot of money for a basket of services and one of the big ticket items is not as good as it should be.
    Their tax payments have no impact on MRI services. You are looking at the wrong side of the equation, here. You pay the government, and the government is supposed to organize, provide, and pay for the services we get. It's the fiscal and administrative mismanagement by previous governments, along with demographics shifts and bad immigration policy that cause the shortage of MRIs.

In fact, it's likely that it is your parents who are impacting my ability as a young, relatively healthy adult male to get timely medical service. Tell your parents to die quicker or stop bitching.
    Paying a government for the provision of a good should have no impact on the quality or quantity of the goods we receive? This isn't even an argument, it's just semantics with no economic grounding.

After all your insults you failed to mention the most central fucking point in the entire debate: we pay doctors less so they leave and we didn't save so we can't afford to hire more. Past government and current governments have failed on their promise of healthcare and blaming it on population demographics, some easily predictable phenomena, is a fucking scape-goat issue for the real underlying problem: our healthcare system is mismanaged.

slowroll on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    There are about 4000 trained doctors in Ontario unable to practice, and we can always poach more. I don't see much reason to pay someone that already makes an upper class salary more money, especially when its no guarantee that it would provide enough doctors to stop the shortage.
    Look, higher wages draw more people into the work force. This not debatable.

HOWEVER, with a surplus of trained doctors we can capture them at lower wages, but we still have to pay more (reduced wages doesn't mean free). Your solution would result in more doctors at less cost, which is obviously better. Either way we expand the budget and take money out of transfers to Quebec (NEW ISSUE!).

slowroll on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Look, higher wages draw more people into the work force. This not debatable.

Yes it is not debatable, however whether it would slightly fix the problem or significantly fix the problem is. My argument is based on my opinion that it would slightly fix the problem(mainly in the short term), and do absolutely nothing to address the capital shortage in our health care system which in your parents case was most likely the reason they had such a long wait time.

The issue is a cost versus care. These numbers are made up for simplicity. Say we pay doctor's 100K a year. To get more back we offer 120K which gives us 1 doctor for every 100 we have already . We are now paying over 12 million for 101 doctors instead of 10 million for 100. For one extra doctor we are paying 2 million dollars more a year. Basically that 2 million is going to have to come from somewhere, some from increased taxes but the majority would most likely come from health care capital improvements. Does the increased care from one doctor compare to the care we would receive from 2 million in equipment? Not even close when we are short on both. To be realistic you have to assume that their is a limit to how much of a burden the tax payers can bare. If that limitation didn't exist then fuck yeah lets build a money pool for any doctor that wants to come back here from the US.

So basically your solution of paying doctors more would slightly improve the bottleneck for service caused by doctor shortages but would make the bottleneck caused by shortage of equipment way worse. This would most likely have a very negative impact on care.
    HOWEVER, with a surplus of trained doctors we can capture them at lower wages, but we still have to pay more (reduced wages doesn't mean free). Your solution would result in more doctors at less cost, which is obviously better. Either way we expand the budget and take money out of transfers to Quebec (NEW ISSUE!).

Yes it would still require more money as these new doctors would have to be paid. The solution I mentioned is a much better cost versus care solution then throwing money at doctors. It is also a much better solution in the long term whereas the higher wages would only work in the short term till the states upped their salaries even more. Basically we would be fucking ourselves and people in the states by doing that.
    When the price is 0, people consume too much.

In normal economics I agree. In health care economics its not as clear cut. There is a certain savings in preventative medicine and people acquiring care earlier which does not generally happen to the same degree in a cost system. This is how the Canadian system works out cheaper then the American one.
    Paying a government for the provision of a good should have no impact on the quality or quantity of the goods we receive? This isn't even an argument, it's just semantics with no economic grounding.

Agreed, government involvement should not be an excuse for poor quality or quantity of service for the cost involved. Health care needs to be majorly reformed in this country. They need to look at some of philisopy involved in the private industry such as lean thinking and others and apply it to health care.

To be fair though its not a 100% sure that private industry would do any better. When Ontario de-privatized hydro I didn't exactly see improvements and the privatization of highway 407 was a rip off. The hydro situation mainly has to deal with the economics involved in huge capital costs. The 407 case was the government doing stupid shit to balance books and not being able to write a fucking contract. *NOTE to politicians* selling an asset to balance your books is bullshit. That's like selling your house to pay off bills and claiming you are better off homeless.
    take money out of transfers to Quebec

To save everyone alot of time I will sum up my opinion on that.
    FUCK QUEBEC. Seriously fuck them.

Rathe on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    You know the simple answer for waiting lists under any UHC scheme is simply that health care is really fucking expensive, which is why governments are so keen to advertise and invest in preventative measures for their populace.

Personally I think the Australian system is conceptually sound - Medicare for everyone, with the alternative to pay into the private system to skip the waiting lines. But that's about as good as it ever can be - to do medicare that was as fast as private for everyone we somehow have to actually be able to afford it - which means we need a better economy overall.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    When the price is 0, people consume too much.

In normal economics I agree. In health care economics its not as clear cut. There is a certain savings in preventative medicine and people acquiring care earlier which does not generally happen to the same degree in a cost system. This is how the Canadian system works out cheaper then the American one.

I can go on about preventative care being FAR cheeper and such.

But really, this comment doesn't deserve that kind of thought. Seriously you ARE Canadian. (Apparently anyway)

People don't go to the doctor all the time up here either. Hell, most people either don't like to or just can't be bothered. The only thing it being free does is prevent people from not going when they feel they need to, which is a good thing. Otherwise, people are just as adverse to going to see the Doctor as anywhere else.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

The problem here is that the moment you mention something like that you start getting spied on by the NSA for potentially being a hostile Communist. =)

Seriously though, it's hard to have an honest conversation in America about Socialized medicine, because so many people are still alive today that were trained from youth to believe that Communists were out to kill/skullfuck them. At some point that may or may not have been true, but it's irrelevant now... except when you bring up a topic that someone might think is Socialistic in nature. All the sudden you're a "damn pinko commie", and no one's willing to talk about anything rationally anymore.

In short, a lot of people have been duped by fear tactics into undue irrationality.

VThornheart on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    Hiya. Only problem here really is that the government aren't funding enough nurse and doctor placements at uni, leading to a skills shortage, but that's an education department problem.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    We would have less of a problem with there not being enough healthcare professionals if something were done about the reaming that Canadian post-secondary students receive. But that's another discussion entirely.

Azio on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Azio wrote: »
    We would have less of a problem with there not being enough healthcare professionals if something were done about the reaming that Canadian post-secondary students receive. But that's another discussion entirely.

O_o?

shryke on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    Azio wrote: »

Reaming? You pay like less than a thousand a year for your courses.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg