As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Semi-Urgent - I just cut my tongue kinda badly

LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
edited January 2022 in Help / Advice Forum
This is probably the dumbest I have ever felt posting here.

I was just a second ago eating a Müller Light Yoghurt (Strawberry flavour). I had finished the majority of the yoghurt, and then went to lick around the rim, but accidentally licked part of where I had left some of the foil lid.

I cut my tongue a tiny bit, but it is bleeding (very slightly, I can just about feel it, and see it in the mirror).

I don't think this is a big deal, but I am a little paranoid about tongue injuries, I've heard a few horror stories.

Is this particularly bad? or is it nothing at all and I am just being silly?

DJ Eebs on

• Options
    Deviant HandsDeviant Hands __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Dr. House said tongues heal fast

Deviant Hands on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    So....it's not lupis?

LewieP on
  • Options
    mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It will heal fast. Chill. S'all good. Nothing to worry about.

mooshoepork on
  • Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Horror stories? D:

From what I've been told before, tongue cuts bleed a lot because you have a lot of blood vessels in there... but that's also why they heal pretty fast, you have good circulation to it

I wouldn't be terrified too much unless it's a massive amount of blood, or it's a serious enough cut to require stitches or something... you just mean like an aluminum foil lid, right? not like a dirty metal can lid?

Gdiguy on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Gdiguy wrote: »
    you just mean like an aluminum foil lid, right? not like a dirty metal can lid?

yeah, that's right.

Thanks guys, no late night hospital trip for me!

LewieP on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It's not lupis!

urahonky on
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    LewieP wrote: »
    I was just a second ago eating a Müller Light Yoghurt (Strawberry flavour). I had finished the majority of the yoghurt, and then went to lick around the rim, but accidentally licked part of where I had left some of the foil lid.

A great way to avoid this injury is to stop doing it. You look like an eight year old child.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Lewisham wrote: »

A great way to avoid this injury is to stop doing it. You look like an eight year old child.

But when I am in the room on my own, I gots to git my yog on.

LewieP on
  • Options
    Deviant HandsDeviant Hands __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    and chicks dig it

Deviant Hands on
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Pleased to be using mouthwash until it heals fully.

Don't risk infection.

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Bendery wrote: »

Don't risk infection.

Good call, will do.
    and chicks dig it

LewieP on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    If your tounge gets infected, it can affect your heart, leading to death.

However, this kind of infection requires it to be damned near green and black. You are fine.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    If you took this story to an ER you would have a 50/50 chance of either being laughed at hysterically or curbstomped by a 5'1" nurse for wasting their time. You will be fine.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Second the mouthwash, just in case. Yogurt's got that bacteria culture which should be infectious, but better safe that sorry. Also, the tongue heals fast. My dentist explained to me that the mouth has some of the highest cell turnover rates in the body, which is why some medical problems that affect the whole body can show up in the mouth first.

Dalboz on
  • Options
    scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Dude you should go all the way and split your tongue.

Might as well.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    You know, if you're talking about licking the rim the way I think you are, a spoon curved the right way will get all of the yogurt out just fine, assuming that yogurt cups are shaped the same way over in Europe as they are over here.

This way you don't get a cut on your tongue, and you don't get yogurt on your face, either.

Einhander on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Einhander wrote: »
    You know, if you're talking about licking the rim the way I think you are, a spoon curved the right way will get all of the yogurt out just fine, assuming that yogurt cups are shaped the same way over in Europe as they are over here.

This way you don't get a cut on your tongue, and you don't get yogurt on your face, either.

This particular brand have a rim which makes it damn near impossible to get the sweet sweet 'rim-yoghurt' with a spoon.

LewieP on
  • Options
    Not SarastroNot Sarastro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Bendery wrote: »

Don't risk infection.

Good call, will do.
    and chicks dig it

Um, saliva is a much better healing agent/disinfectant than mouthwash, the latter is not much different to drinking weak spirits, and is designed for fresh breath & tooth care etc rather than its healing properties.

Not Sarastro on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I'll just drink a glass of Southern Comfort every day before I go to bed/When I wake up.

LewieP on
  • Options
    CojonesCojones Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I was just a second ago eating a Müller Light Yoghurt (Strawberry flavour).
    Jesus man, everyone knows that apricot flavour is where it's at.

Keep it clean and it'll heal like a motherfucker. Don't worry about it.

Cojones on
    exmac.png
  • Options
    FembotFembot Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I was advised against alcohol and alcohol-based mouthwashes in my recent tongue injury thread. Try frequent salt water gargling?

Fembot on
  • Options
    Not SarastroNot Sarastro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    You don't need to do anything out of the ordinary to keep your tongue clean. Do you spring-clean your tongue? Give it a weekly wipedown?

Saliva will do the job fine, this is why you instinctively suck small cuts & animals lick their wounds. Just lay off the rimjobs for a week or so. :wink:

Not Sarastro on
  • Options
    Mr_AnonymousMr_Anonymous Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Also, be extra careful when eating over the next week or so. The area around the laceration will most likely swell, and biting that will hurt.

Cojones, how long have you had that avatar picture?O_o

Mr_Anonymous on
  • Options
    reyanreyan Registered User new member
    This is probably the dumbest I have ever felt posting here.

I cut my tongue a tiny bit, but it is bleeding (very slightly, I can just about feel it, and see it in the mirror).

I don't think this is a big deal, but I am a little paranoid about tongue injuries, I've heard a few horror stories.

Is this particularly bad? or is it nothing at all and I am just being silly?

Hey, hi! The exact same thing with me last night and I find myself in a similar state as you all these years ago. Can you help me with your post-incident remedies or whether you needed a professional care? Also did you notice a white spot near the cut? It's most likely an inflammed taste bud in my case but did you notice similar symptoms too?

• Options
    reyanreyan Registered User new member
    Can you help me with your post-incident follow-up?

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2022
    This user hasn't posted since 2017, so probably not going to get a reply unfortunately.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    If you're concerned you should see your doctor or urgent care; we can't help you with medical advice here.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    This user hasn't posted since 2017, so probably not going to get a reply unfortunately.

Another fatality caused by tongue related injuries.
    A tragedy.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    It's not lupis!

Past me was really fucking dumb.

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    RIP

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular