As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Christmas Shopping Gender role stereotype realizations

Bloods EndBloods End Blade of TyshallePunch dimensionRegistered User regular
edited December 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
I'm not sure that this is entirely the right place for this, but I can't think of a better place.

I went out for some last minute Christmas shopping and was looking for stuff specifically for my little sister and little cousins. Almost every single toy they had for girls were some variation of ponies or princess or dolls where you make them and yourself as pretty as possible. There weren't very many toys that seemed proactive or something that would be enjoyable to play with. They didn't do anything but you could do things to them. Compared with the "boy"s section are things that lit up, that moved, that could do something. They were far more interesting. It got me to thinking about the whole idea of enforcing stereotypical gender roles on kids. Boys play with trucks and girls with dolls, that sorta thing. But why do "trucks" (and other "male" toys) just seem more interesting and fun to play? Is it saying something about toy companies just assuming that all girls want is to change their clothes and feed a fake baby or is it something I just don't get because I'm a guy?

Additionally, I'm pretty sure the person who came up with the idea for Bratz toys should be taken out and shot. I believe that that toy line is based around the idea of making little girls into snooty whores.

Bloods End on

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    1) You don't have to follow the girl/boy assumptions. My sister loved my toys.

2) Gender dichotomies make life easier for marketers.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    You think boy toys are cooler because you were conditioned to like boy toys as well.
    In a different world, you might be questioning why everyone is forced to play with trucks, as dolls are much more awesome and you can dress them up awesome ways.

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Not all of it is a result of enforcing gender roles.

I talked about this in the previous thread; they did research on newly-babies. They showed them pictures crowded with objects and people. They found out that the male babies eyes tend to focus on objects and they try to touch those objects, whereas female babies tend to focus on people and they try to touch those people (particularly the facial area).

Also, male babies from a very early age are obsessed with assembling things, destroying things, using things as weapons, etc. They tend to claim ownership to objects more than female babies. Female babies, when given a bunch of toys of different types, tend to go for ones that resemble people. Dolls, teddy bears, etc. They also tend to share their toys more than male babies do.

So the more interesting question to ask is, do gender roles exist as a result of some sort of social conspiracy, or as a result of our genetic, gender-based tendencies towards particular activities and the objects related to those activites?

I think it's both.

But it is wrong to use genetics as justification for how things should be. The reasonable thing to do is to give both genders, from an early age, equal exposure to and opportunity to get to like both options (i.e. cars, trucks, swords vs. dolls). Buy two dolls and two trucks for your kid and see which ones he/she likes to play with.

Also, what jewcar said about marketers.

ege02 on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Was this study done with no parental modeling?
    Look up the turner's syndrome studies to find that flaw.
    :P

• Options
    edited December 2007
    Ege: All that means is that girls would be more attracted to GI Joe and less attracted to GI Joe's explode-on-impact hummer.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

I can't remember exactly. I don't have my book with me.

ege02 on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Ege: All that means is that girls would be more attracted to GI Joe and less attracted to GI Joe's explode-on-impact hummer.

I want that!

ege02 on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Lego are both unisex and awesome. Buy your sister some. In fact, buy yourself some too .

Also, dollies are just avatars for imaginative storytelling and plot creation. You enact things with them, you don't just change their clothing and have them sit on a ledge somewhere. What sorts of adventures can a truck have, in comparison to a person? None that nearly as good as a truck that transforms into a person, that's what.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    ege02 wrote: »

Basically, all the hormonal-less girls ended up becoming house-wife acting, pretty dress wearing girls.
    Why?
    Their mothers were forcing them into it, screwing up the objectivity.

Basically, someone took little Billy's doll and replaced it with a monster truck and praised him for it.
    And so on.

• Options
    edited December 2007
    Seriously, the only real difference between girls and boys toys is that boy's toys tend to have more they can do on their own, while girls have to use their imaginations.

Which is yet another easy-to-Freud thing.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Basically, all the hormonal-less girls ended up becoming house-wife acting, pretty dress wearing girls.
    Why?
    Their mothers were forcing them into it, screwing up the objectivity.

Basically, someone took little Billy's doll and replaced it with a monster truck and praised him for it.
    And so on.

Oh, I see what you're saying.

The part about newly-born babies, yeah they had minimal if any parental modeling as far as gender roles go. So it sounded like a pretty solid study to me.

I don't know about the other study.

ege02 on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Seriously, the only real difference between girls and boys toys is that boy's toys tend to have more they can do on their own, while girls have to use their imaginations.

Which is yet another easy-to-Freud thing.
    DONG ENVY
    FEAR OF CASTRATION
    Freud was really screwed up. Projecting much, was he? I think so.

• Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007

I talked about this in the previous thread; they did research on newly-babies. They showed them pictures crowded with objects and people. They found out that the male babies eyes tend to focus on objects and they try to touch those objects, whereas female babies tend to focus on people and they try to touch those people (particularly the facial area).
    In no way can this possibly excuse marketing a toy washing machine to 6 year old girls. Which is the kind of thing infesting my local kmart. It also doesn't excuse the pink tide washing over the girls' section. It also fails to explain the popularity of GI Joe style toys among boys. Come on, ege, you're doing your stupid overextrapolation thing again. We just went through this shit last week :x

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    moniker wrote: »
    Lego are both unisex and awesome. Buy your sister some. In fact, buy yourself some too .

I cannot lime this hard enough. Lego is the best shit ever.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    The Cat wrote: »

In no way can this possibly excuse marketing a toy washing machine to 6 year old girls. Which is the kind of thing infesting my local kmart. It also doesn't excuse the pink tide washing over the girls' section. It also fails to explain the popularity of GI Joe style toys among boys. Come on, ege, you're doing your stupid overextrapolation thing again. We just went through this shit last week :x

First, I've said that it is not an excuse. I'm explaining behavior, not prescribing it.
    '
    Second, yes, I agree that washing machine toys are retarded. That just screams "get in the kitchen" to me.

As for GI Joe toys, they are popular among boys because their image is that of fighting and kicking ass. A kid who doesn't know what GI Joe is (hasn't seen the cartoons for example) would not be interested in a GI Joe toy that is not wielding some sort of gun.

If the toy was marketed without its context of aggression and heroism, I would not be surprised if GI Joe toys suddenly became more popular among girls than boys.

ege02 on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Having spent huge amounts of my childhood in day care centers, I can personally vouch for quite fluid affinity for objects and play styles between genders.

Everyone played house, everyone played with puzzles, everyone played pretend, and I don't think a single kid spent more than a year there before trying on those high heels they had lying around (I had such good balance).

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

First, I've said that it is not an excuse. I'm explaining behavior, not prescribing it.
    You aren't explaining shit, as that post points out.

As for GI Joe toys, they are popular among boys because their image is that of fighting and kicking ass. A kid who doesn't know what GI Joe is (hasn't seen the cartoons for example) would not be interested in a GI Joe toy that is not wielding some sort of gun.

But they're dolls. Clearly, girls must like them more than boys. Its inevitable and compulsory according to your above post.
    If the toy was marketed without its context of aggression and heroism, I would not be surprised if GI Joe toys suddenly became more popular among girls than boys.

If your post was remotely true, the context would not be relevant. Also, you should really read up on the studies about parental differential treatment of children by gender. It starts long before you can carry out those research projects, given that you can't perform them until children are several months old and their eyes are capable of focusing properly.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2007
    Ah, the genetics bullshit. Always good to have it on the first page.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Dolls are for girls.

talking-gi-joe.jpg

Cars are for boys.

IF-BARBIE-WRANGLER%2012V.jpg

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2007
    Here are Amazon's top toys for boys and girls. Explain the genetics there to me.

Why do girls hate scooters? Why aren't boys into music? Why do they like airplanes? Why the computer for the girls? Why a tea set for the girls?

I'm sure genetics knows all about that.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I think my sister is still kinda jealous of when I got Optimus Prime. Oh and yes, Lego is awesome as.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    TrowizillaTrowizilla Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

The problem is marketing it as "for girls only." Everyone should know about laundry! And pretty much all little kids like to mimic what they see their parents doing, so I don't have an issue with having pretend-appliances. They should be marketed equally, and hopefully have a picture of a boy and a girl on the box, and such, but I don't think the actual existence of toy appliances is a bad thing.

And ege, even week-old babies have had a large amount of reinforcement of gendered roles. I also remember a study where very, very young infants were dressed in clothes that conveyed an assumption of gender without actually corresponding to the gender of the baby. When adults came and interacted with the babies, they behaved entirely differently when reacting to what they thought was a girl baby as opposed to with what they thought was a boy baby. Since babies are ridiculously sponge-like, especially during their first few weeks, the amount of gender reinforcement is not insignificant.

Trowizilla on
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Elki wrote: »
    Here are Amazon's top toys for boys and girls. Explain the genetics there to me.

Why do girls hate scooters? Why aren't boys into music? Why do they like airplanes? Why the computer for the girls? Why a tea set for the girls?

I'm sure genetics knows all about that.

To be fair, those lists kinda jive with what ege02 said with the study on newborns:

The Boys list is mostly "things", vehicles, etc.. No actual "people" or pets, unless you count Megatron as a people.

The girls list has more people and pets then the boys list does.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    That doesn't mean anything. The children aren't buying the toys.

Even so, in order to consider the evo-psych bullshit valid someone needs to make the connection that genetics have implanted in us the secret eternal knowledge of what dinosaurs are, of what scooters and airplanes and computers are; what dolls are for, what the imagination is, and why kids like me who played house with Z-Bots and dinosaurs just aren't real.

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I found it interesting that the "classic My Little Pony" set was on the Boy's list on the second page.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Trowizilla wrote: »

The problem is marketing it as "for girls only." Everyone should know about laundry! And pretty much all little kids like to mimic what they see their parents doing, so I don't have an issue with having pretend-appliances. They should be marketed equally, and hopefully have a picture of a boy and a girl on the box, and such, but I don't think the actual existence of toy appliances is a bad thing.

I'd rather put 'em to work for real and then let them spend their playtime on actual fun, though. Housework isn't something to aspire to, its not particularly creative or skillful (cooking excepted). Its just a default expectation that one should know how to take care of one's stuff. Children's available playtime should emphasise exactly the things pretend-cleaning doesn't, in my mind.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Oboro wrote: »

Even so, in order to consider the evo-psych bullshit valid someone needs to make the connection that genetics have implanted in us the secret eternal knowledge of what dinosaurs are, of what scooters and airplanes and computers are; what dolls are for, what the imagination is, and why kids like me who played house with Z-Bots and dinosaurs just aren't real.

Agreed, but I felt it necessary to comment at those specific lists.

That being said I had those wax WWE Wrestlers when I was little. I guess I played with dolls because that's pretty much what they were. Man, I had some great matches back then.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    When my parents took my dinosaurs away I would hook all four controllers to the Nintendo 64, load up Goldeneye, and have all four players be civilians and play house in the multiplayer mode.

You can't stop me, mom and dad! ... In a... non-tangential sense. ...

Toys have gotten cool? Buy your kids Legos. And yourself.

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Trowizilla wrote: »

The problem is marketing it as "for girls only." Everyone should know about laundry!

The world would be a more breathable place.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

That and they aren't making the toys, or marketing them. There's no logical reason why everything explicitly for girls must must must be pink besides unimaginative marketing.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    THE WHOLE DAMN SYSTEM IS MAD

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    In any case, as long as we do not prescribe behavior and actual roles, I don't see where the problem is with simple things like giving boys blue toys and girls pink toys.

It's just a color for fuck's sake.

I have a problem with toy washing machines being marketed to girls exclusively.

I don't have a problem with those toy washing machines being pink.

ege02 on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    It's a problem when everything the girls get is pink and everything the boys get is blue. Ignore the colors, just think about it in the "us versus them context"-- because that's exactly what it is and it creates a literally hostile environment for transgressors.

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Actually everything the boys get isn't blue. Very little of what the boys get after age like 3 is blue. Everything girls get is pink right up into menopause.

Or was, this is just what I remember from 24 Christmases so far.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    It's a problem when everything the girls get is pink and everything the boys get is blue. Ignore the colors, just think about it in the "us versus them context"-- because that's exactly what it is and it creates a literally hostile environment for transgressors.

A valid argument, if a little exaggerated.

Hostile environment? Please. I can see a boy getting mocked by his friends for wearing pink, but that it no different than him getting mocked for wearing a skirt.

Would you say skirts vs. pants creates an "us versus them" context too?

ege02 on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Oh I see they make action figures of girls now. That's new, when I was little the only one was Leia, and it always seemed wierd to me because I know in real life there are more women than just Carrie Fisher.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Hostile environment? Please. I can see a boy getting mocked by his friends for wearing pink, but that it no different than him getting mocked for wearing a skirt.

is this some kind of trick question? Shit man, women used to get arrested and sometimes killed for wearing boy clothes. And can we get a mention of the murder rate affecting MtF crossdressers and trans people of varying stripe? Playground shit is just where it starts.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Oh I see they make action figures of girls now. That's new, when I was little the only one was Leia, and it always seemed wierd to me because I know in real life there are more women than just Carrie Fisher.

But none superior.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2007

is this some kind of trick question? Shit man, women used to get arrested and sometimes killed for wearing boy clothes. And can we get a mention of the murder rate affecting MtF crossdressers and trans people of varying stripe? Playground shit is just where it starts.

Well maybe if you guys hadn't hid your flag so well...

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    DrakmathusDrakmathus Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I bought my niece The Daring Book for Girls. She really likes Bratz, which I refuse to buy for her. I'm hoping this book will be a little more interesting than a plastic doll.

Drakmathus on