As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Post-Hardcore Bands

BomanTheBearBomanTheBear Registered User regular
edited February 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
I have recently become a post-hardcore fanatic because I love mixing punk and metal while having very intricate arrangement. I currently got Quicksand, Hot Water Music, Jawbox, Burning Airlines, Bear vs. Shark, Braid, Drive Like Jehu and a couple others I can't remember. Anyone want to help me out and recommend more bands I might like?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
BomanTheBear on

• ChrisDudeChrisDude Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Glassjaw and (The) Fall of Troy are must listens.

Some YouTube links:
    Glassjaw - Cosmopolitan Bloodloss

The Fall of Troy - FCPREMIX

FCPREMIX is on Gutar Hero 3 also, it's damn fun. :D

ChrisDude on
    Chris Pennell Is A Huge Nerd - My blog. I talk about nerd-ish things a lot.
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    One thing I'd try is www.pandora.com mainly because you can type in a band that you like (any of those up there would work) and it should start playing songs from bands that sound like them. That's one way I found a lot of my music, and hopefully it helps you.

Unfortunately I've only heard Bear Vs Shark :P

urahonky on
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    Jawbox became the Burning Airlines who put out two really good albums. The latter album has a cover of a Metroschifter song, another post hardcore band that's pretty decent. Also, Shudder To Think is really decent too. I assume you're not too interested in the screamo direction because you haven't mentioned At The Drive In.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • BearcatBearcat Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Thrice

I'm not sure if you can consider these guys post hardcore, as their sound varies from track to track. In one instance they sound Radiohead-esque, and in another they're balls-to-the-wall hardcore.
    Much to my liking, they've evolved a lot from their earlier sound, which was pretty intense. Their Alchemy Index Volumes I and II are top notch, and they're releasing the second half, III and IV early next year. So far, The Messenger has been one of my all time favorites

Bearcat on
    edited December 2007
    Bearcat wrote: »
    Thrice

I'm not sure if you can consider these guys post hardcore, as their sound varies from track to track.
    Much to my liking, they've evolved a lot from their earlier sound, which was pretty intense. Their Alchemy Index Volumes I and II are top notch, and they're releasing the second half, III and IV early next year. So far, The Messenger has been one of my all time favorites

Yeah, you're right. Thrice is amazing. Alchemy Index I and II are pretty slow (well, Fire is faster than Water) but very melodic. I do like their album before that and maybe the OP will. Look up Vheissu, or The Artist in the Ambulance.

(Specifically these songs: Music Box (Vheissu), Image of the Invisible (Vheissu), Cold Cash and Colder Hearts (Artist in the Ambulance), and Paper Tiger (Artist in the Ambulance).

urahonky on
  • BomanTheBearBomanTheBear Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    DrDizaster wrote: »
    Jawbox became the Burning Airlines who put out two really good albums. The latter album has a cover of a Metroschifter song, another post hardcore band that's pretty decent. Also, Shudder To Think is really decent too. I assume you're not too interested in the screamo direction because you haven't mentioned At The Drive In.
    Wait, you saying a track on Identikit was a cover of another band? I knew they did Back of Love by Echo and the Bunnymen.

The trick for this is that post-hardcore skirts screamo dangerously close, and unfortunately for me, screamo is a bonerkill.

BomanTheBear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2007
    Yeah. Maybe 1 or two songs by Thrice is "screamo", but they would fit the bill for you.

urahonky on
  • ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Check out the rest of the bands that Drive Like Jehu came from, harriet the spy, party of helicopters, and New Terror Class. Every band is pretty much Harriet the Spy minus one member, so theyre pretty consistently good across the board.

Oh and analena is pretty good too... If i wasnt basically on my way out the door to go to work, id run through my itunes list and find you a bunch. But it would probably take me close to an hour. If this thread is still alive when i come home tonight ill do it.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • Nitsuj82Nitsuj82 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Refused.

They're fucking awesome.

Nitsuj82 on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    Nitsuj82.png
  • oldsakoldsak Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Nitsuj82 wrote: »
    Refused.

They're fucking awesome.

Agreed. Unfortunately, Refused are fucking dead.

The Rise out of Austin Tx have a derivative sound if you liked the refused though.

edit: also, The Red Light Sting tend to be pretty awesome. Maybe more post punk than post hardcore, still pretty awesome.

oldsak on
    edited December 2007
    I try to ship Quicksand and Placebo. On a different note, anyone know any bands like Death from Above 1979? I can't get enough since they only have like 18 songs.

BomanTheBear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Nitsuj82Nitsuj82 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    oldsak wrote: »
    Nitsuj82 wrote: »
    Refused.

They're fucking awesome.

Agreed. Unfortunately, Refused are fucking dead.

Zing!

I was hoping someone would do this.

Nitsuj82 on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    Nitsuj82.png
  • 6_Vitium_6_Concubine_66_Vitium_6_Concubine_6 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Botch, At The Drive-In, older Thursday.

6_Vitium_6_Concubine_6 on
  • The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Punk and Metal? Or just having "intricate arrangement?"

Cursive, for one. Try "The Ugly Organ" and "Domestica"
    Saetia, which is more scream-y and closer to punk, but wonderfully complex and transcendentalist.
    uh... Fugazi? but that's a given.
    Small Brown Bike are very similar to HWM, and are worth a listen.
    Rites of Spring are pre-Fugazi, and damn good.

I'll second Refused, ATDI and Thursday's "Waiting."

Oh man, I could keep going...

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • TurretTurret Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I love me some Alexisonfire. Especially their latest album, Crisis.

Turret on
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Prospicience on
    edited December 2007
    Punk and Metal? Or just having "intricate arrangement?"

Cursive, for one. Try "The Ugly Organ" and "Domestica"
    Saetia, which is more scream-y and closer to punk, but wonderfully complex and transcendentalist.
    uh... Fugazi? but that's a given.
    Small Brown Bike are very similar to HWM, and are worth a listen.
    Rites of Spring are pre-Fugazi, and damn good.

I'll second Refused, ATDI and Thursday's "Waiting."

Oh man, I could keep going...
    I don't know if I can count Cursive as post hardcore. I don't know, because I guess I don't know Cursive that well. What I've heard, though, I don't consider. Good band, though. I've never heard of Saetia, so I'll check it. That's the gift/curse of the genre, it's very vague. Alot of bands can be considered in it. I like the dissonant punk aspect (Jawbox, Drive Like Jehu).

BomanTheBear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited December 2007
    similar to pandora, you can check out http://last.fm/ as well, which lets you play similar artists.

I've never been too keen on the whole post this, post that, but given what's listed:

mewithoutYou ("Catch for us the Foxes" is my favorite of the 3 albums)
    Fugazi
    Minus the Bear (probably more Prog-rock)

i'll also third ATDI and anything by Thursday (although the newer stuff is much less hardcore)

Unknown User on
    edited December 2007

Sad that they broke up. :(

urahonky on
  • The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I don't know if I can count Cursive as post hardcore. I don't know, because I guess I don't know Cursive that well. What I've heard, though, I don't consider. Good band, though. I've never heard of Saetia, so I'll check it. That's the gift/curse of the genre, it's very vague. Alot of bands can be considered in it. I like the dissonant punk aspect (Jawbox, Drive Like Jehu).

Be warned, I'm not just giving you post-hardcore. It's a slippery category, and so I'm working more off the "dissonant"/"very intricate arrangement" criteria. Try the song "Gentleman Caller" off Cursive's Ugly Organ (for music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vHLjimpfY8).

I'll second mewithoutYou. They're fantastic. Give Orchid a shot if you can dig up any of their stuff, they were on level plane, so their site may be a good place to begin. Hell, level plane may just be a good place to go in general (www.level-plane.com).

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
    edited December 2007
    DrDizaster wrote: »
    Wait, you saying a track on Identikit was a cover of another band? I knew they did Back of Love by Echo and the Bunnymen.

The trick for this is that post-hardcore skirts screamo dangerously close, and unfortunately for me, screamo is a bonerkill.

Dear Heather is actually a Metroschifter song. There's a comp called Metroschifter Encapsulated where bands cover Metroschifter songs and you'll find Burning Airlines doing Dear Heather on that too, but it's a rather different version than the one that ended up on Identikit.

I think you'll find most of the bands who ended up on that comp to be worth investigating.

Pheezer on
    edited December 2007
    Deluxe War Baby is a great BA song

Unknown User on
    edited December 2007
    I try to ship Quicksand and Placebo. On a different note, anyone know any bands like Death from Above 1979? I can't get enough since they only have like 18 songs.

One of the guys is in MSTRKRFT if I recall correctly. MSTRKRFT is fucking awesome no matter what though, check out Paris and Neon Knights (song titles). They also only have the one album, though.

Think mo-town influenced electro.

Pheezer on
    edited December 2007
    robothero wrote: »
    Deluxe War Baby is a great BA song
    Hell yeah it is, Burning Airlines is my favorite band (the sign in my signature). I have it tattooed on my ribcage.

I have The Looks, it's a pretty tight album. JFK has made some weird transitions (Femme Fatale to MSTRKRFT, wut), but he's pretty versatile and talented. I really like Work on You, good song.

BomanTheBear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • The CheeseThe Cheese Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    punk and metal while having very intricate arrangement.

Try A Wilhelm Scream's newest album.

The Cheese on
  • MatthasnopantsMatthasnopants Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I would definitely second Botch and also Minus the Bear. The guitarist went from Botch to Minus the Bear when they broke up which lends a relatively technical sound to MtB's music, so I would put them up here.

Also check out Fordirelifesake, The Receiving End of Sirens and This Will Destroy You.

Matthasnopants on
  • NrthstarNrthstar Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Killswitch blew. Thank the heavens they broke up.

Post core was really just a gateway drug for me for so many better true hardcore/metalcore bands. So I might be mixing things up a bit with these. Oh and I dunno if I could call mwy a post-core band. They're so much more than that.

Refused (as mentioned before, old school swede hardcore, pandora will play a bunch of it for you)
    Beloved (again, broke up, but just find yourself a copy of Aimless Endevour and you'll want to find a copy of Failure on)
    Alexis on Fire (aspreviouslymentioned) are amazing
    Chiodos (not a fan, but my friends love it)
    Underoath (only if you really love slittin those wrists, but the first cd is great if you want some metal)
    As Cities Burn (the old stuff is classic post, but the new stuff... just damn inventive)
    Blindside
    Circa Survive (only if you like drunks in Tutu's though)
    Crime in Stereo (Crime in Stereo is Dead is one of my top cds of the year)
    Fear Before the March of Flames
    From Autumn to Ashes
    Hopesfall
    Little Yellow Box (I dunno what these guys are doing now)
    Protest the Hero
    The Bled
    Thursday
    Nakatomi Plaza (prepare for major pedal use)
    Sky Eats Airplane (Nintendocore at it's best)

the not so post, yet somehow post bands that I love (a lot of southern post)
    Maylene and the Sons of Disaster
    He is Legend
    Every Time I Die
    The Chariot
    Remembering Never
    Give up the Ghost
    Norma Jean
    As I Lay Dying
    Confide

Nrthstar on
    "Shut up and Die"
    edited December 2007
    Killswitch blew. Thank the heavens they broke up.

You're a terrible person, and I hope you catch fire and die in a pit. However, I still respect your opinion because you have Norma Jean and As I Lay Dying on the list. (However I don't think that the OP would like AILD, only because the singer screams)

urahonky on
    edited December 2007
    Nrthstar wrote: »
    Maylene and the Sons of Disaster

There is not enough lime in the world to represent how awesome this band is.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWW YEAH

Unknown User on
    edited December 2007
    robothero wrote: »

There is not enough lime in the world to represent how awesome this band is.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWW YEAH
    That's a pretty heavy endorsement, considering there is ALOT of lime. Hm.

BomanTheBear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    urahonky wrote: »

When did this happen? They were just here like 2 weeks ago.

And whomever wrote killswitch blew, really constructive and I shake my head at you. I did however go see As I lay Dying as opposed to a killswitch concert (fucking expensive).

Prospicience on
    edited December 2007
    urahonky wrote: »

When did this happen? They were just here like 2 weeks ago.

And whomever wrote killswitch blew, really constructive and I shake my head at you. I did however go see As I lay Dying as opposed to a killswitch concert (fucking expensive).

Heard this about that same time. I think they're doing a farewell tour.

(Rufio broke up recently too... Many people may not like them, but man were they fun to listen to.)

urahonky on
  • pwb2103pwb2103 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Alright, I registered just so that I could post here. Normally I lean more towards hardcore bands with all out screaming for vocals like Norma Jean, Darkest Hour (but what went wrong on that last album), Unearth (first two albums), Rifles at Recess, 7 Angels 7 Plagues and well you get the idea...

But I think one reply should endorse checking out: Protest the Hero.

Nrthstar mentioned them, but they might have been lost in that long list of bands. The vocals aren't very heavy so maybe they are a little closer to post-hardcore ... maybe...

Just head over to www.myspace.com/protestthehero and check out the songs they have up there. The stuff on their new album (about a month away) is ridiculously good, its stupid good, it is like make my brain stop working good. But their current album is great too.

So seriously, open a new tab, load up that my space page and let it play while you browse the forums.

If you want the heavy vocals then check out 7 angels 7 plagues... long since R.I.P. but they were amazing, and the drums? woooo you would have to go somewhere like Dilinger Escape Plan to get drums like that these days. (hey why haven't they been mentioned yet).

I don't want to highjack the thread but: Nrthstar, I like that list you put together, got any other good hardcore recommendations?(if that is too off topic I'll start a new one).

Protest The Hero. LISTEN

pwb2103 on
    edited December 2007
    Trying not to jack this thread, if we are, Mod's move us, but I'm just giving more advice

Urahonky. Good call on Rufio. Really sucks they split.

Dillinger is math metal, so I left them out, (but OMG Ire Works... man... the new drummer is just as good as the old, even though he's wasting his time with the new Coheed... what a waste, and Puciato's vocals. Amazing. All my friends loved Patton more than Puciato but now that Ire is out, they've converted.) Super pumped, Every Time I Die and DEP are playing a show in my town, right down the street from me.

Maylene. Maylene live, Maylene on cd, Dallas and the guys in normal conversation, in every format they have been my favorite band. Good guys, amazing music.

Yes, I hate Killswitch. Is that consturctive? No. But my ears, they just aren't pleased.
    Never have been. Can't explain

Protest the Hero. Mind splitting. The fact that he can sing so perfectly over a break down (which you don't do, it's a no no. It's a swedish hcore thing. No band I've been part of has done it.) and still have it come out on top is amazing. But here's the catch. Their live show. Now they are a bunch of youngin's, so they have plenty of time to grow as musicians, but the last two times I saw them, it was a total train wreck. Just like my run on sentences... If someone's seen them this year and they played a great show, I'm glad to hear it. I've been hoping they pick up the slack.

I wish I had my cd book or access to my home computer, cause I know I'm missing a bunch of bands...

But, there's also:

August Burns Red (if you like dillinger, you might like these guys)
    American Nightmare (please someone catch me on this, I'll be so proud of PA if you can)
    Evergreen Terrace (if you really love old punk, there you go)
    These Arms are Snakes
    Horse the Band
    Still Remains (the OP will like their new stuff if he's looking for a mix of stuff, but if you want some AILD style, go listen to their old stuff)
    Scary Kids Scarrin' Kids (again, the OP might dig this a lot, kind of on the Emo side, but still)
    Julianna Theory (Emoish again, but hey, I'm stretching my brain straight from memory)
    THE HOPE CONSPIRACY (OP said he liked punk mix up, this band is straight old school. REAAALY good stuff)
    Code 7/Telescreen (code 7 is dead, but most of them moved on to Telescreen with Classic Cases singer)
    Misery Signals

When I get home I'll throw together a full list of Hardcore in a Debate thread if I can spend a minute at the computer. Like they said earlier, use Pandora.com my email is lndlckdnrthstar@gmail.com if you want to add me as a friend, and you can pull off of my radio stations.

Nrthstar on
    "Shut up and Die"
  • Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The Hope Conspiracy
    Remembering Never
    The Refused
    Hopesfall
    Poison the Well (The Opposite of December, everything else is shit)

I dunno...if you want to listen to some sweet hardcore:

Shockwave (Transformer themed hardcore)
    Curl Up And Die
    HeWhoCorrupts (Chicago Locals good for lols)

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
    edited December 2007
    Forbe! wrote: »
    Poison the Well (The Opposite of December, everything else is shit)

I dunno how I could forget about these guys. The new cd's good if you're looking for something very... different. I personally like all the other cds, but he is right, The Opposite is the best. "A Wish For Wings That Work" is amazing with the epicness of the last half of the song. And of course the crowd favorite "Nerdy"

Nrthstar on
    "Shut up and Die"
  • Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I saw Poison the Well at some show a while back, after...You Come Before You came out. They played a set of new songs off of You Come Before You, and the crowd was mildly active. Then they said "Hey, we're gonna play some oldies" and everyone starts whistling and screaming. The lead singer gives a nervous laugh and plays "Nerdy" during which the crowd goes wild. It had been a bunch of younger kids dancing and moshing before, then the older dudes came out and started wrecking.
    Well after that someone shouted "PLAY SOME MORE OLD STUFF", the crowd started screaming and whistling after that. Then the lead singer goes "Hey, fuck you guys" and walks off stage. Apparently he has a history of lashing out at the crowd. One time I heard that during an interview he said "If they can't appreciate our new material, then fuck them, I don't want them as fans".

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I had a big sexy post but the forum ate it.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2007
    Scary Kids Scarrin' Kids (again, the OP might dig this a lot, kind of on the Emo side, but still)
    Nrthstar, do you know if these guys put out a new CD? I have their first one and it's amazing.

urahonky on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Alexisonfire - Alexisonfire (Their best and intricate work. A shame really)
    A Static Lullaby - And Don't forget to breath (Avoid Faso La Ti Do)
    A.F.I. - The Art Of Drowning (Pretend like that's all they made)
    Armsbendback - The Waiting Room
    As I Lay Dying - Frail Worlds Collapse (or anything older)
    August Burns Red - Thrill Seeker
    The Beautiful Mistake - Light A Match. . .For I deserve to burn (nothing else they have comes close to this album)
    Bleeding Through - This Is Love, This is Murderous
    Chiodos - All's Well that Ends Well
    Circa Survive (this band has no screaming but is worth a listen)
    Circle Takes the Square (closer to screamo, but very intricate)
    City of Caterpillar
    Dance Gavin Dance
    Dead Poetic
    Drop Dead, Gorgeous
    Every Time I Die - Hot Damn! (My personal favorite band. They've been changing styles ever since this release though)
    The Fall Of Troy - Doppleganger ( I don't think they'll be topping this album)
    From Autumn to Ashes - Too bad you're beautiful
    Funeral for a Friend - Casually Dressed and Deep in Conversation (They did not progress well)
    Glassjaw - Everything You Ever Wanter To Know about Silence
    He Is Legend - I am Hollywood
    Hopesfall - The Satellite Years
    Hot Cross
    It Dies Today - The Caitiff Choir
    The Number Twelve Looks Like you - Mongrel (You want intricate?)
    Off Minor
    The Prisoners Dilemma
    Poison The Well - The Opposite of December
    Roses are Red - Conversations
    Saetia
    Shai Hulud (definitely hardcore but very good at what they do)
    Silverstein - Discovering the Waterfront
    Underoath - They're only chasing safety (If you go further back into the albums they get more metal. If you go further forward they get more terrible)
    Yaphet Kotto

My other post was better but this is a quick approximation. Good luck.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png