Options

Build your perfect MMO

trevelliantrevellian Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in MMO Extravaganza
Being a relative newcomer to the world of MMORPG's - Star Wars Galaxies was my introduction to the genre - I have always been slightly amused by the ....er........ let's call it passion (as opposed to rabid, unthinking fanaticism)....that people have for the particular MMO that they are currently involved in. Usually leading to a general denouncement of anyone playing any other MMO as being 'wrong in the head'.

To date I have tried, and to a greater or lesser degree enjoyed, my time in Star Wars Galaxies, Everquest 2, City of Heroes, Tabula Rasa, World or Warcraft and EVE Online. My particular bias is towards the sci-fi element, it's not that I don't like, or can't enjoy, a well put together sword n' sorcery type game, just that I can get more into a sci-fi setting (laser pew-pew ftw!), maybe a steam punk setting would work for me also.....(dirigible ho!!)

With my recent foray into EVE it was the first time I had really tried to pick an MMO that had the elements I was looking for, rather than picking up a new MMO and going "oooh shiny!". To date I have not managed to find an MMO that I felt was fully-rounded in what it had to offer for a diverse player base (closest has been SWG, but I have to question whether or not my impression was tainted by it being the 'first', and that it was star wars based). That led me to wonder what I would want to see for an MMO to hit all my buttons (you get a lot of free time to think mining high-sec areas in EVE...). Now I have no idea how all this would be put together in practice....it does seem to suggest the need for multiple game engines.. and I realise that in practice it probably makes far more sense for a company to concentrate its focus towards a subset of players and be outstanding in a few elements rather than juggle too much and be mediocre in all of them, but this is my fantasy thread so we can ignore little annoyances like account departments, staff payrolls, technical limitations and the like..[1][2]

If you were designing the definitive MMO, what gameplay elements would you include? Please, keep this to a discussion on gameplay and the mechanics and let's not devolve into a "lolz carebear" vs "sad-no lifer in the basement" argument.

Here's what I have so far:

The market/trade from EVE Online - Buy orders, Sell orders, Contracts, the ability to play the market if you have the patience.

The crafting from SWG - Mutating stats on the raw materials that have an impact on the final quality of the product and the ability to experiment on the item before creating a blueprint to make runs in your own set of factories.

The semi-FPS interaction of Tabula Rasa (although targeting needs to be improved).

The ease (and amount!) of quests that can be done from WoW.

The general polish of WoW.

The spaceflight from SWG combined with the visuals and feeling of EVE.

The inclusion of some form of social class that does not require combat leveling (SWG had a very good stab at this, and EVE seems to be playable as a non-combatant to a greater or lesser degree).

A movement away from the grind, ding, grind more, ding, get weapon, grind to get a slightly better weapon, grind to get a slightly better weapon etc etc treadmill of some MMOs.

That's what I can think of off the top of my head, I will be coming back to this post now and again to update things as I think of them.


TL, DR - Build your perfect MMO, play nice.






[1] and Raph Koster

[2] and definitely SOE

McGough_EA.png
trevellian on
«1

Posts

  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Ok, zombie mmo, working with google earth to model the ENTIRE WORLD, you spawn in your house, or on your street, and a random bunch of your neighbors are zombies, you play the game in the full world and can build barricades and everything. The game resets after maybe 3 months, or when everyone is a zombie. You can play as a zombie, but death as a zombie is permanent. There would have to be multiple servers with staggered timelines so that people wouldn't get bored and stop playing after dying. If you actually manage to survive the 3 months you get some kind of bonus to your character. Maybe there could be one server that NEVER resets until everyone is dead.

    TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    gang of daggers?

    edit: i'd love a zombie mmo.

    redfenix on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The gameplay of and plosih of WoW mixed with CoX's community and Guild Wars freeness.... preferably in a sci fi setting.

    Tav on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    A Character Creator on par with CoX, or Morrowind. Armor that is customizable in look (dyes) and stats (sockets), so not everyone looks like the same Illidan killing motherfuckers.

    EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    There'd be no levels and people would advance through gaining reputation with factions. Not in the same grindy fashion as WoW does it, but through quests and such that you would normally level. You'd just replace levels with various rep factions throughout the world.

    reVerse on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I was reading about the latest Simcity game the other day and I was thinking it would be kind of cool to have a city MMO. I'm not entirely sure how this would work, but I think it would involve hours of grinding by standing in line at City Hall followed by hours of standing in line at the hot night clubs.

    Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I could totally get behind a Zombie MMO! Even better if it was perhaps based on The Zombie Survival Guide.

    Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Axen wrote: »
    I could totally get behind a Zombie MMO! Even better if it was perhaps based on The Zombie Survival Guide.

    It could be packaged with the game!

    TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    hamburger helperhamburger helper Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Ultima Online + WoW + the market system of EVE = Greatest MMO ever

    hamburger helper on
    statimg.php?id=280&theme=1
  • Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    How about a Transformers MMORPG?

    You'd begin by picking your name, your size, and some kind of 'class' that corresponds to your basic weapon set (melee fighter, heavy weapons, scout, etc.). There would also be the option to customize certain aspects of your appearance, although you wouldn't have control over every detail because those are subject to change depending on the vehicle forms you'll take through the course of your playtime.

    Then, here's my idea for the 'beginning' of the game: you start out on Cybertron, where the war is still in full swing, as a neutral Transformer. You can encounter numerous soldiers from both the Autobots and the Decepticons, some of whom will have tasks you can complete to earn experience and gain the approval of each faction. As an individual who nevertheless has a home and friends, you will also have to fight off the Decepticons and mercenaries who endanger the things you care about, as well as the occasional over-zealous Autobot warrior. This will all be against NPCs; there's no PvP at this point.

    When you hit level 10, or some comparable level of power, you will be approached by either the Autobots or the Decepticons, depending on how many tasks from each faction you've taken on; if you've done an equal amount for both of them, they will both seek you out. The point is, you'll wind up joining one of the two sides.

    At this point, you will receive the ability to board starships and journey off Cybertron, to any number of populated planets. On these worlds, the war is about harvesting Energon, which would be the game's big resource; whichever side has the most of it is the side that's said to be winning the war. The focus on the other planets will be searching for Energon deposits, securing them, and maintaining a mining process there. Additionally, if you're an Autobot, you have the added responsibility of protecting the unwitting civilians of the planet you're on from Decepticon brutality. This is where the PvP begins in earnest; Autobot players and Decepticon players will fight each other, sometimes one-on-one, sometimes as part of full-scale engagements between squads.

    Here's another element of the gameplay: secrecy. The Transformers are 'robots in disguise' for a reason: most of the intelligent life forms whose planets you'll be visiting will not be aware of the war, or even of the existence of the Transformers. In the recent IDW Transformers comic series, the Decepticons have worked this into a mode of operations that allows them to destabilize a civilization without actually revealing themselves: they use their military vehicle forms to create crises so large that the species eventually destroys itself in a misguided global war. This will give Decepticon players something to do; their goals will revolve around attacking targets and disrupting relations between different parties among the native species with the goal of bringing the world to conflict. Autobots will attempt to stop this.

    Players on both sides will be encouraged to avoid detection by members of a planet's native intelligent life. You'll have some kind of 'awareness meter' like the star system in Grand Theft Auto, or better, like what was employed in the Transformers games on the DS. If you revert to robot form in the middle of a city, you'll blow your own cover as well as the cover of all Transformers on that planet, and you may wind up losing that planet for your entire faction. This would carry penalties, perhaps even the loss of all experience earned on that planet. If you have to fight another Transformer, you should try to do it away from populated areas, or keep the fight quick. It should hurt you more to blow your cover than to lose a PvP encounter.

    I suppose Unicron would show up eventually, or something.

    Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    StormyWatersStormyWaters Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    No leveling at all.
    Gear differential not very significant-spending 2x the money gets you another 10% performance boost.
    Open PVP everywhere.
    Ways to conquer cities/whatever and keep outsiders out.
    All goods produced by players.
    Resources tied to who controls the cities so that there is an incentive to own them.

    StormyWaters on
  • Options
    IboRobotosis23IboRobotosis23 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Harrier wrote: »
    How about a Transformers MMORPG?

    You'd begin by picking your name, your size, and some kind of 'class' that corresponds to your basic weapon set (melee fighter, heavy weapons, scout, etc.). There would also be the option to customize certain aspects of your appearance, although you wouldn't have control over every detail because those are subject to change depending on the vehicle forms you'll take through the course of your playtime.

    Then, here's my idea for the 'beginning' of the game: you start out on Cybertron, where the war is still in full swing, as a neutral Transformer. You can encounter numerous soldiers from both the Autobots and the Decepticons, some of whom will have tasks you can complete to earn experience and gain the approval of each faction. As an individual who nevertheless has a home and friends, you will also have to fight off the Decepticons and mercenaries who endanger the things you care about, as well as the occasional over-zealous Autobot warrior. This will all be against NPCs; there's no PvP at this point.

    When you hit level 10, or some comparable level of power, you will be approached by either the Autobots or the Decepticons, depending on how many tasks from each faction you've taken on; if you've done an equal amount for both of them, they will both seek you out. The point is, you'll wind up joining one of the two sides.

    At this point, you will receive the ability to board starships and journey off Cybertron, to any number of populated planets. On these worlds, the war is about harvesting Energon, which would be the game's big resource; whichever side has the most of it is the side that's said to be winning the war. The focus on the other planets will be searching for Energon deposits, securing them, and maintaining a mining process there. Additionally, if you're an Autobot, you have the added responsibility of protecting the unwitting civilians of the planet you're on from Decepticon brutality. This is where the PvP begins in earnest; Autobot players and Decepticon players will fight each other, sometimes one-on-one, sometimes as part of full-scale engagements between squads.

    Here's another element of the gameplay: secrecy. The Transformers are 'robots in disguise' for a reason: most of the intelligent life forms whose planets you'll be visiting will not be aware of the war, or even of the existence of the Transformers. In the recent IDW Transformers comic series, the Decepticons have worked this into a mode of operations that allows them to destabilize a civilization without actually revealing themselves: they use their military vehicle forms to create crises so large that the species eventually destroys itself in a misguided global war. This will give Decepticon players something to do; their goals will revolve around attacking targets and disrupting relations between different parties among the native species with the goal of bringing the world to conflict. Autobots will attempt to stop this.

    Players on both sides will be encouraged to avoid detection by members of a planet's native intelligent life. You'll have some kind of 'awareness meter' like the star system in Grand Theft Auto, or better, like what was employed in the Transformers games on the DS. If you revert to robot form in the middle of a city, you'll blow your own cover as well as the cover of all Transformers on that planet, and you may wind up losing that planet for your entire faction. This would carry penalties, perhaps even the loss of all experience earned on that planet. If you have to fight another Transformer, you should try to do it away from populated areas, or keep the fight quick. It should hurt you more to blow your cover than to lose a PvP encounter.

    I suppose Unicron would show up eventually, or something.

    This.

    It sounds like it would be a hell of a lot of fun. Though the penalties switching out into robot mode probably would need to be toned down a bit. I'm sure there'd be mistakes as to hitting hotkeys and what-have-you.

    IboRobotosis23 on
    IboRobotosis23.gif
    1442794ERFKq.png
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Team Fortress: World Warriors.

    BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Post-apoc or Warhammer 40k mmo

    Open world PVP all the time, conquerable towns.

    Instanced PVP a lot like Guild Wars (ie the option for team, or solo with a group of good and fittable NPCs)

    EVE-like economy

    Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Mount and Blade, online. With a larger gameworld and players filling all of the roles that NPCs hold in it.

    -SPI- on
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'll throw my lot into the hat for zombie mmo.

    I'd play that so hard.

    Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    No leveling at all.
    Gear differential not very significant-spending 2x the money gets you another 10% performance boost.
    Open PVP everywhere.
    Ways to conquer cities/whatever and keep outsiders out.
    All goods produced by players.
    Resources tied to who controls the cities so that there is an incentive to own them.

    Stop reading my mind!

    Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I think an Avatar MMO could work.

    Pick your nation and design your character. It would be nice to see a lot of options here, because I love character customization when it doesn't affect the game.
    No character classes though, instead each nation has 5 bending stances that cover the five basic MMO character types (IE Ranged Damage, Ranged Control, Buff/Debuff, Melee Control, Melee Damage). Different nations would have different ways to do each of these (IE an Earthbender control power could hold someone in rock, an air bender would knock back or stun, water bending could slow them with ice, fire benders could blind or disorient with smoke)
    No leveling either. Instead, you start as a beginner in each stance. Using a specific stance opens up greater abilities within it (IE the earthbender power from above would turn into completely encasing the victim in crystals causing greater damage). Not using a stance causes you to lose abilities that you've gained as you fall out of practice. Eventually, you will get to a point within a stance where you can no longer advance your own abilities and must find a master of that form to train you in master-level skills.

    Other masters would be available to train you in a variety of other talents not directly related to bending (IE stealth or crafting etc...) each taking a certain amount of talent points from a limited pool. Like bending, these skills can be increased with repetition or lost if ignored.

    see317 on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    a good star wars mmo. I dont see how it could be possible to screw up that universe as an mmo, but there you have it

    Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    Wren wrote: »
    a good star wars mmo. I dont see how it could be possible to screw up that universe as an mmo, but there you have it

    It's been done.

    The screwing up part, I mean.

    Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    HayasaHayasa Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    An MMO based on being the captain of a Blitzball team, and going on all sorts of zany quests to convince new players to join you so you can win the league championship! As you recruit them they may (or may not) follow you around on other quests.

    So basically an enormous sports game with roleplay elements and a bit of FF style questing. Huzzah!

    Hayasa on
    fthcav.jpg
    20siy39.jpg
    xcvj1h.jpg
    2lk6t94.jpg
  • Options
    trevelliantrevellian Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    OK, these are all very interesting ideas, but I think we are straying a bit from what I was intending to talk about.

    Rather than the actual setting of the MMO I was trying to find out what mechanics you enjoy/don't enjoy or would/would not like to see in an MMO.

    Do you think it is possible to create an MMO that could be enjoyed by CS-minded players and carebears alike? What mechanics would such a game have? What potential exploits/problems might be caused by these mechanics etc etc.

    For instance, with my chosen mechanics of an active market with primarily player made goods I can see that this would turn-off many of the "raider" set as it appears to me that many dungeons/instances are not done for bragging rights, or for enjoyment, but for the loot that the bosses drop. This could be alleviated to some extent by having loot in these dungeons that could be used by crafters to create improved items or unique looking items, but I don't feel these items should be so much better as to be an "I win" item. I know that this is my particular thing though and there may be many that would not like such a setup.

    trevellian on
    McGough_EA.png
  • Options
    HayasaHayasa Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I don't enjoy: crafted items selling to vendors for less than the cost to create them.
    I do enjoy: being able to make money off crafted items without being a licensed stockbroker.

    I don't enjoy: having my friends outlevel me, and then dropping out of the game as I can't be in the same group as them.
    I do enjoy: the sidekick system in City of Heroes

    I don't enjoy: being ganked while trying to do something. Quests + PVP = LAME.
    I do enjoy: the threat of being ganked when I don't have any other activity I need to do other than avoid being ganked. PVP for PVP = AWESOME.

    I don't enjoy: being destroyed by equipment that would require me to make the MMO my full-time job to get, that is just better than anything I could acquire.
    I do enjoy: being destroyed by equipment that I chose not to equip because I specialised in something else, or stuff that is different as opposed to just better

    I don't enjoy: epic drops, due to never having had one.
    I do enjoy: getting uniquely weird stuff at similar intervals to other players.

    I don't enjoy: having eight faces to choose from in the entire world
    I do enjoy: SWG's facenator and CoH/V's costume maker. I also enjoy costume part rewards.

    I don't enjoy: incentives that are distributed by twitch (eg. looting)
    I do enjoy: a fair go for all members of the team.

    I don't enjoy: characters that are severely locked into one thing, when it is non-trivial to just make a new character
    I do enjoy: being able to change characters quite a lot, or having a new character be easy to bring up to speed.

    I don't like: mounts ala World of Warcraft. I am notoriously wasteful with my money, and cannot save up to buy stuff. Thats fine when its something non-essential, but NOTHING essential should have a price-tag you can't meet in, say, 12 hours of play.

    I do like: factions, particularly factions that aren't at war but also aren't real friendly either.

    I do like: Blubber Gump's note in WoW and stuff like that. There are so few NPCs in any game that you genuinely interact with...being able to be good friends with one, or annoy the heck out of another would be great.

    Hayasa on
    fthcav.jpg
    20siy39.jpg
    xcvj1h.jpg
    2lk6t94.jpg
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Armored Core MMO

    If done right it could be so fucking good.

    I imagine it would be alot like EVE.

    But in AC's.

    The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Mech Warrior MMO

    Essentially the same set up as the first Mech Warrior, you run around bidding on jobs, only you take it a step further.

    You have your own factions, start your own combat regiments, engage in wars complete with drop ship combat in orbit while trying to raid a planet.

    A real death penalty, I don't mean 'you're dead now you lose some experiance' I want a death penalty similar if not harsher then Eve. Eve is the only MMO that gets my blood boiling in PvP, will this be the last time I see my beloved ship? Probably.

    Lots of customizable Mechs, maybe allowing even custom body design, that is one aspect that would need to be worked out. I just think the Battle Tech universe before the clan wars, or after the clan wars... hell even during the clan wars would be an awesome idea.

    Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Damn, you took my transformers idea (IMO, it's about the only franchise where constant combat and character upgrades not only fit thematically, but make realistic sense.)

    I'd like to see more MMO's that aren't dependant on stretching out their content as far as possibly to keep their subscribers paying for as long as possible. Untill MMO's are able to be free, I feel they're going to remain in the same slump of endless grinding, rerunning dungeons, and other tedious gameplay.

    Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Transformers =/= Mech Warrior

    Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    Mickey EyeMickey Eye Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    post after yours =/= response to your post

    Mickey Eye on
    artillery2.gifmwd.gifcloak.gifrepairer.gif
    Sig images by FooB
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    With the mech idea I'd have it that mechs can get damaged in interesting and sophisticated ways without being destroyed, so you can always run the hell away but your enemy can say "well got his arms and saw ammo explode in the torso, man he might as well have lost it"

    Add in salvaging and restoring mechs you kill and you'd probably get a death penalty that was harsh in all the right ways without driving people off.

    EDIT: The strategic game would obviously be territory control over cities and resources to produce mechs and parts etc, with some function to setup your own plants.

    electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Bendery wrote: »
    Mech Warrior MMO

    Essentially the same set up as the first Mech Warrior, you run around bidding on jobs, only you take it a step further.

    You have your own factions, start your own combat regiments, engage in wars complete with drop ship combat in orbit while trying to raid a planet.

    A real death penalty, I don't mean 'you're dead now you lose some experiance' I want a death penalty similar if not harsher then Eve. Eve is the only MMO that gets my blood boiling in PvP, will this be the last time I see my beloved ship? Probably.

    Lots of customizable Mechs, maybe allowing even custom body design, that is one aspect that would need to be worked out. I just think the Battle Tech universe before the clan wars, or after the clan wars... hell even during the clan wars would be an awesome idea.

    A Mechwarrior MMO that has rules like Eve would be appropriate, but it would really piss me off having to go through. "Shit, time to eject," and then someone shoots you out of the sky.

    Henroid on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'd love to see a good beat em up Gang Based MMO. The Warrior universe seems like a decent candidate. Just good all around action and fluid gameplay is all I really want from an MMO. No stopping to turn in this quest, no selling loot to merchants, no buffing, just go in there, and smash that chair over someone's head.

    Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Damn you all and your Mech Warrior MMO talk. Now I need a cold shower. One question I have is how well a game like that would scale to MMO size. If you want the typical live action combat you will have to force the mechs to spread out it some way. Any ideas?

    lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Damn you all and your Mech Warrior MMO talk. Now I need a cold shower. One question I have is how well a game like that would scale to MMO size. If you want the typical live action combat you will have to force the mechs to spread out it some way. Any ideas?
    First up, no dial-up support. That should allow for more mechs in a given area. Second, I don't want to say bad graphics, just that emphasis should be placed on framerate and artistic style, over real-time ray tracing or whatever the next hot shit video technology is. Both of these will allow for a lot more mechs in a give area.

    Then, you give the mechs a reason to spread out. Multiple targets, for example.

    Use multiple factions. Four or five. Plus a computer/GM-controlled factions. Each faction would have differing technology and differing uses for resources. Then, players would fight over land, and the land they control would dictate certain types of resources. Say, natural elements, factories, etc. And they'd even want to preserve the factories while fighting over them, so they don't get blown up.

    And those resources? Not just points. Each faction would get bonuses and/or special equipment that was only manufactured when the faction controlled a certain type or combination of resource points.

    So, it'd sort of be like Planetside, except that the control points would mean something. Basic equipment would always be available, but certain specialized gear would only be available to players if they had certain resources. And if one side got down too far, the computer/GM-controlled one would help them out, somehow.

    Also, GM-controlled faction? Played by a combination of live GMs handling the game like an RTS and AI.

    s3rial one on
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I must mention that there is no way any commercially successful MMO would ever do anything GM-controlled. The amount of money that it would take to pay enough people per server to be present as a threat for just 8 hours would be exorbitant, let alone 24. I guess if you want to pay $100 for a game with "the best AI: humans!" then it might work, because not only would the huge fee keep the server size small (or allow only one server) it would pay their salaries.

    Opty on
  • Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Opty wrote: »
    I must mention that there is no way any commercially successful MMO would ever do anything GM-controlled. The amount of money that it would take to pay enough people per server to be present as a threat for just 8 hours would be exorbitant, let alone 24. I guess if you want to pay $100 for a game with "the best AI: humans!" then it might work, because not only would the huge fee keep the server size small (or allow only one server) it would pay their salaries.
    Everyone on one server, GMs only controlling one faction a la RTS style? That's what, 8 people full time? Pay them $25-30k/year to play video games. Let's say $30k. That's $240k/year. Shit, let's make it 10 people and assume $300k/year in salaries. Each subscriber paying $15/month. Say you only manage 100k subscribers. That's $1.5 million/month, $18 million/year. And you can't swing $300k?

    I call bullshit. The MMO industry is a lot of things, but imaginative and willing to depart from the status quo they typically aren't. I'd bet it's doable.

    Let alone if you upped the fee to $20 or $25/month.

    s3rial one on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Axen wrote: »
    I could totally get behind a Zombie MMO! Even better if it was perhaps based on The Zombie Survival Guide.

    It could be packaged with the game!

    It's the strategy guide.

    Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    s3rial one wrote: »
    Damn you all and your Mech Warrior MMO talk. Now I need a cold shower. One question I have is how well a game like that would scale to MMO size. If you want the typical live action combat you will have to force the mechs to spread out it some way. Any ideas?
    First up, no dial-up support. That should allow for more mechs in a given area. Second, I don't want to say bad graphics, just that emphasis should be placed on framerate and artistic style, over real-time ray tracing or whatever the next hot shit video technology is. Both of these will allow for a lot more mechs in a give area.

    Then, you give the mechs a reason to spread out. Multiple targets, for example.

    Use multiple factions. Four or five. Plus a computer/GM-controlled factions. Each faction would have differing technology and differing uses for resources. Then, players would fight over land, and the land they control would dictate certain types of resources. Say, natural elements, factories, etc. And they'd even want to preserve the factories while fighting over them, so they don't get blown up.

    And those resources? Not just points. Each faction would get bonuses and/or special equipment that was only manufactured when the faction controlled a certain type or combination of resource points.

    So, it'd sort of be like Planetside, except that the control points would mean something. Basic equipment would always be available, but certain specialized gear would only be available to players if they had certain resources. And if one side got down too far, the computer/GM-controlled one would help them out, somehow.

    Also, GM-controlled faction? Played by a combination of live GMs handling the game like an RTS and AI.

    Hmmmm, I was sort of thinking that real time shooting would require a lot of instancing, along the lines of having each "dungeon" or "battleground" being a planet and have the scarcity of drop ship or clan ettiquitte as the reason for limiting the numbers in each instance.

    I don't know how much limiting graphics will help since the real problem with be having low enough mutual latency to allow for aiming dodging, etc. Of course, mechs can be made to look nice with fewer pollys lower rez textures than humans can so that is all to the good. Unless there is a need to render the players outside their mechs.

    lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Step 1) Full-on Open PvP-based game. Everyone loves PvP.
    Step 2) Nobody is allowed to play the game. Fuck people ruining my perfect game.

    Garthor on
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Step 1) Full-on Open PvP-based game. Everyone loves PvP.
    Step 2) Nobody is allowed to play the game. Fuck people ruining my perfect game.

    Garthor on
  • Options
    Golf153Golf153 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    How about a Gundam Wing MMO?

    The servers would be divide by Space, Moon, and Earth. You could be OZ, White Fang, or Independent (ala with the Gundam Pilots). Massive PVP against each other and PVE versus fractions using Mobile Dolls.

    No leveling. Just skill.

    The best pilots in each server take control of the Gundams themselves or quest for certain ones like Epyon or Wing Zero. Anyone that destroys the Gundam during the month gets it.

    But Gundams are hunted by Mobile Dolls, etc.

    Golf153 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sign In or Register to comment.