Options

Resistance Fall of Man 2: More people should be talking about it (BETA)

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    If everything that is promised is delivered, then this will be GOTY no doubt and Im not saying this as a PS3 fan, Im saying it a PC FPS fan... seriously, a feature set like this on a console is unheard of.

And this is insomniac we're talking about which is why I believe they can deliver on these promises.

Isn't it a little early to start shouting GOTY?

chamberlain on
  • Options
    MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    If everything that is promised is delivered, then this will be GOTY no doubt and Im not saying this as a PS3 fan, Im saying it a PC FPS fan... seriously, a feature set like this on a console is unheard of.

And this is insomniac we're talking about which is why I believe they can deliver on these promises.

Isn't it a little early to start shouting GOTY?

Such trivial things as time have never stopped me before.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I put about five hours into Resistance 1 at a freinds house. Didn't much care for being pulled out of an environment every fifteen minutes for a really pedantic cutscene and then shoved somewhere else.

august on
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The "seven games in seven years" thing is even more impressive when you consider that they've never turned out anything less than excellence, and never missed a ship date.

Yeah, I totally need a PS3 now.

zilo on
  • Options
    Adhesive to plasticAdhesive to plastic Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I don't have a PS3, but the cis game sounds very... enticing. I'll have to see more before I decide if I'm going to be looking forward to it, though.

Adhesive to plastic on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I was really actually underwhelmed by the resistance we already have.

Thankfully I got to try it on my friends PS3 and didn't have to waste my green US toilet papers on it.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    Neon BlondeNeon Blonde Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The co-op is apparently supposed to be "objective-based"... Do I sense a watered down version of GRAW co-op?

Not that I'm complaining; the game's going to be stellar. I might have to end up getting that PS3 now...

Neon Blonde on
    xIAMHUNTERx.gif
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The randomized geometry thing will be a failure. You don't need different geometry to make a different playthrough each time, what you need is good AI which was lacking in RFOM.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Anybody see these?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0_XYdky1Qw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCV8GmCj8jo

Ted Price talking about the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDx5FvSJ0Kg

And one of the other devs talking about the co-op.

@Bamelin: I heartily recommend Resistance 1 because it is, by far, the most comprehensive and polished online experience on the PS3. Warhawk is good, but doesn't have all the awesome bells and whistles that Resistance does.

Seriously, every game should have a party lobby, a push-to-talk feature and separate live-mic channels for separate squads. You guys have absolutely no idea how awesome this setup is until you've tried it.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Damn I wish I could watch youtube at work, are those vids of the game in motion?

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • Options
    DerigorDerigor Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Resistance was tight, I checked it out when I first got my ps3... my fiance keeps asking me when am I going to get it again to finally beat it...
    as for co-op, fuck yes.
    anything that is co-op is a must have to play with the woman, and damnit if i have to hear her refere to herself as the arbitor one more time I might die. god i hate haloz.

Why does sony keep trying to push killzone on me (although I like killzone on the ps2 for what they attempted to do on that console), they should push more Resistance down my throat... course I'm already deep throating CoD4 right now.

should be a good year for ps3 releases assuming these games ever come out. I think I would eat my cock if Metal Gear or Gran turismo was ever released.

Derigor on
    PSN: Derigor
    A hulk's power is jumping.
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So don't get me wrong, I love the Insomniac guys. But those guys are pretty awful interviewees. I do like the idea of 100-foot tall bosses, though.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    UnKnown SoldierUnKnown Soldier Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I don't know if it's because I just got a PS3 now, or I'm just missing something because Resistance SP didn't do anything for me. It felt like I was playing the original MOH with a crazy skin pack and graphics boost. After abut the third hollow house with 1 or two boxes and an 1 guy sitting in every room like I'm playing fricken castle wolvenstien I decided to pass. It's probably just that I'm used to all these FPS's that are coming out now instead of a launch game.

UnKnown Soldier on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Damn I wish I could watch youtube at work, are those vids of the game in motion?

No, just interviews with a couple of the devs.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    2itk3lf.jpg

33ksjz6.jpg

2ch1cfd.jpg

2zdxd1e.jpg

1slik4.jpg

2zipurk.jpg

dggr5j.jpg

Thread suddenly becomes NSF56k

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I read a quote from one of the Insomniac guys where they are trying to make the feeling of being outgunned and such against the Cloverf- I mean Chimera. I don't think they can pull this off without having engaging characters.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    My h-scroll! The goggles, they do nothing!
    Such pretty pictures...

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Hey, they discovered non-brown colors. The only things I don't like about those screens are the skin for the enemies and the ground, but I haven't seen many games that make good looking ground .

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    They need the Halo 1 Generic Green Grass Texture

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    hah so there's a hilarious jack-black style music video up on youtube, sung by insomniac's office co-ordinator and starring the whole team - a recruitment video by the looks of it, extolling the virtues of their pinballz and massages (but i'm afraid 'happy endings only happen in games')

the thing is: it was posted by an insomniac member to gaf, with the promise that there would be a reveal inside, and lo-and behold at the 3:03 mark:

resistancerelease.jpg

so! july release for resistance 2?

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    R2_long_logo.jpg

fx5no8.jpg

2w6doj5.jpg

R2_short_logo.jpg
    R2_coop_medic.jpg
    R2_coop_specops.jpg

Why aren't more people hyped for this game?

My frothing demand knows no ends. Resistance 1 was solid but not great. But goddam if they havent churned out a game in 2 years and deserve massive props for that. insomniacs indeed.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »

My frothing demand knows no ends. Resistance 1 was solid but not great. But goddam if they havent churned out a game in 2 years and deserve massive props for that. insomniacs indeed.

You answered your own question. It was a fps game that didn't distinguish itself from the field.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »

Pfeh, they used to crank out a good new Ratchet game EVERY year. Those bastards are slackin' off.

I keed, I keed. Looks nifty, provided the 50s atmosphere and story holds up.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    No-one else here has seen the teaser? Wow, I watched it a few hours ago but figured someone else would post it. I'm pretty sure that's in-engine, since I can't remember Insomniac ever releasing pre-rendered trailers (even the first Resistance trailer at E3 2005 was in-game). Anyway, here's some links:
    Stream
    mov Direct Link
    wmv Direct Link

And here's a pretty picture:

resist2.jpg

Btw, all signs point to Insomniac releasing two games/products this year. Resistance 2 and Ratchet & Clank: Quest for Booty. The latter is either a downloadable expansion to Tools of Destruction or a PSN game, all we know is that it appeared on a SCEE release list and was hinted at in Insomniac's music video.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    If that was realtime, and going off of Insomniacs history we have no reason to believe it wasn't real time, then holy fucking shit.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    SlackprideSlackpride Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    And here's a pretty picture:

resist2.jpg

Btw, all signs point to Insomniac releasing two games/products this year. Resistance 2 and Ratchet & Clank: Quest for Booty. The latter is either a downloadable expansion to Tools of Destruction or a PSN game, all we know is that it appeared on a SCEE release list and was hinted at in Insomniac's music video.

I'd say they're doing quite a nice job of distinguishing themselves for R2. Loved R1, and R2 looks to be even more impressive.

Slackpride on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Looking forward to 8 player Co-Op. :^:

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I fucking loved, and I mean LOVED, Resistance, and it takes a lot for me to love a first-person shooter; I generally could care less for the genre.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Very low-quality video from Gamer's Day:
    http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/213304.html

I think it's a co-op mission.

(Sorry K :oops:)

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    only <3 4 u

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Wow... my boners have returned!

MistaCreepy on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Wow... my boners have returned!

I've been in a perpetual semi status since November.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    The IG guys are being very tight-lipped about that video. (I'm a mod on their forum and they aren't telling us anything) Sony is apparently asking sites to take the video down. (link)

There are also a ton of easter eggs in this video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q86tZxuWngo

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'd buy Resistance 1 if it had mouse/keyboard support (does anyone know if it does?). It really surprises me that MS and sony don't have a 1st part peripheral which is basically a dumbed down keyboard. Basically the wasd layout with the extra buttons thrown in, like e,r,c,z,x,q,e,`,1-4, etc, with a mouse attachment specifically made for FPS games.

It seems like a logical step, does something like this exist?

Dissociater on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I'd buy Resistance 1 if it had mouse/keyboard support (does anyone know if it does?). It really surprises me that MS and sony don't have a 1st part peripheral which is basically a dumbed down keyboard. Basically the wasd layout with the extra buttons thrown in, like e,r,c,z,x,q,e,`,1-4, etc, with a mouse attachment specifically made for FPS games.

Yes, but you don't want it. Trust me.

From what I understand, Sony doesn't care what controller inputs are used. Insomniac chose not to utilize kb/m support because using a controller puts everyone on a level playing field. (Something I don't personally agree with 100%)

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Lord Yod wrote: »

Yes, but you don't want it. Trust me.

From what I understand, Sony doesn't care what controller inputs are used. Insomniac chose not to utilize kb/m support because using a controller puts everyone on a level playing field. (Something I don't personally agree with 100%)

See, that actually makes sense to me. But it also drives home the fact that Sony realizes how superior the mouse/keyboard setup is in FPS games compared to a controller, which just makes me question more why they don't push them and encourage people to buy them, let alone make and support them. It's too bad because I REALLY want to play resistance, and I have a dearth of games for my PS3, and hardly use it except for bluray movies, and I would really like to get more use out of it. Resistance appeals to me, but I've played dozens of FPS games for consoles, and the only one I've really enjoyed that I can think of is the Darkness and goldeneye.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I think that Sony recognizes the fact that, for the less-than-hardcore player, a major draw for console gaming is the level playing field. Introducing kb/m controls sorta ruins that, so I can see why some developers choose not to do so. (I wanna say that UT3 allows it?)

Resistance, by the way, is fucking great and you should play it. You should especially play it online. It will just go to show you that PS3 game |= shitty online, because Insomniac did an amazing job that literally hasn't been matched yet on the PS3. (I have no experience with the 360, does it have any games that do lag-free 40-player matches?)

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Its outstanding as far as launch titles go... its no Mario 64 but it is worth the 40-50 bucks you'll pay for it if you hunt a little.

MistaCreepy on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I didn't like the game, but here's a link to resistance <$40

http://product.half.ebay.com/Resistance-Fall-of-Man_W0QQtgZinfoQQprZ56234484

So if you're inclined, pick it up. Can't hurt.

urahonky on
  • Options
    slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Lord Yod wrote: »
    I think that Sony recognizes the fact that, for the less-than-hardcore player, a major draw for console gaming is the level playing field. Introducing kb/m controls sorta ruins that, so I can see why some developers choose not to do so. (I wanna say that UT3 allows it?)

You are correct that UT3 is mouse enabled on the PS3. So far, the only game I know of which provides that option.

Epic's approach to balancing controller vs. mouse players was to change the server type: mouse-only, controller-only, and mixed.

Being primarily a PC gamer, I yearn for more games that let me use my controller of choice on a stable, equal, un-upgradable, and harder-to-hack platform. It breaks my heart that UT3 has failed so miserably, almost as much as it does to see interesting FPS games like Resistance and Haze reject the mouse.

It would seem a simple matter to just add a mouse control to a game, but of course there's more to it than that. The best games are built from the ground up accommodating their control scheme: Halo's two-weapon, two-grenade system vs. Half-Life's weapon-slot menu, for instance. Thus, the prevailing wisdom is that you build the game around the interface in order to produce the best possible game experience. Featuring a mouse would dilute the entertainment value for their core controller-based audience.

I don't know if the PS3 will ever reach out and pull in the PC gamer like I was hoping it would. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't give up playing on my PC for anything, but I'd also like to see what it's like to play against a bunch of opponents who all have the same hardware, drivers, and untweakable operating system.

If by some miracle Resistance 2 features mouse support, I'd camp out for it.

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.