As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Teaching / SAT Advice

ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Hello all,

I recently applied for an SAT tutoring position. Today, I got called back for the second round of interviews which involves teaching a small group of people a set of SAT questions (in this case, questions from the writing section). I have some teaching experience, and obviously did pretty well on the SAT, but it's been a little while since I've done either, and was wondering if anyone has some tips pertaining to either that they could share with me. I'd also appreciate it if anyone had something to say about how to make a good impression at a more formal interview. :P

Thanks!

pygsig.png
Zeromus on

• Options
    musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Zeromus wrote: »
    Hello all,

I recently applied for an SAT tutoring position. Today, I got called back for the second round of interviews which involves teaching a small group of people a set of SAT questions (in this case, questions from the writing section). I have some teaching experience, and obviously did pretty well on the SAT, but it's been a little while since I've done either, and was wondering if anyone has some tips pertaining to either that they could share with me. I'd also appreciate it if anyone had something to say about how to make a good impression at a more formal interview. :P

Thanks!

I am going to be teaching an SAT/ACT prep course. Go buy Kaplan's SAT prep book, take the practice tests. It's very good. It talks about trap questions, math questions, strategy for questions you don't know how to answer etc.

musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I taught for Princeton Review. Be energetic, be confident, be Socratic, and write every step to a problem/question neatly on the board. Write out the answer choices on the board (A, B, etc) and cross them off as you eliminate them. Call on people to answer your questions if no one volunteers. Focus on what makes each answer choice wrong rather than what makes them right.

Good luck!

Quoth on
  • Options
    rchourchou Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The questions on the writing section of the SAT are all about grammar. Though scoring well on it doesn't require knowing the definition of a comma splice, your potential employers are probably expecting you to teach grammar by the letter. I recommend checking out a writing book from the library and just going through it, making sure you know recognize what every type of mistake is called, etc. etc. Just brush up.

rchou on