As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Jumping Ship: 360 to PS3

124»

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I think Mario Galaxy is trash. It would only take me an hour to collect 100 stars if the developers didn't pad the game with all these unnecessary enemies, obstacles, and black holes.

Let me put it this way Game X is 20 hours long with superfluous "obstacles."

Or Game X is 40 minutes long with superfluous "obstacles" replaces with a straight, unobstructed path to the goal.

Dirty on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    think Mario Galaxy is trash.

Which is funny, because I was actually defending Heavenly Sword against the judgment that it was "trash". Oh well. Reminds me of the same "rational" gents that jumped Cardboard Tube's shit for saying he didn't like Dead Rising's broken save system (which also artificially lengthens the game).

"Lol, idiot. That's part of the gameplay."

If you don't like "obstacles", then yeah, that would be a somewhat valid point.

But then one would have to ask, "why are you playing games?"

Again, fight the urge to be stupid.

Again again, I've made the mistake of not liking a Sony related product. Glad I'm not surprised to see the ladies get their granny panties in a knot.

I won't respond to your trolls anymore.

Sheep on
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Sleep wrote: »

Again again, I've made the mistake of not liking a Sony related product. Glad I'm not surprised to see the ladies get their granny panties in a knot.

This has nothing to do with you not liking a Sony product. As I said, you have every right not to like the gameplay of the game. It's perfectly reasonable, and I don't really care. Quit being a martyr. However, I don't think you can say it just artificially lengthens the game. There's a difference between not liking an element and saying it's just there to make the game longer. There's a big difference.

It's not superfluous or excessive at all. You barely even have to use it. You can just tap the button if you feel like it. It's a design decision that was put in for fun. It is fun for a lot of people, and that's why they put it in. It had nothing to do with making the game longer.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Now your are just being dramatic. People are giving you a hard time because you criticized a valid and fun-for-most game mechanic as added on fluff to pad length. Don't even try to turn this into a fanboy related argument with your Sony comment because it isn't one.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited February 2008

This has nothing to do with you not liking a Sony product. As I said, you have every right not to like the gameplay of the game. It's perfectly reasonable, and I don't really care. Quit being a martyr. However, I don't think you can say it just artificially lengthens the game. There's a difference between not liking an element and saying it's just there to make the game longer. There's a big difference.

It's not superfluous or excessive at all. You barely even have to use it. You can just tap the button if you feel like it. It's a design decision that was put in for fun. It is fun for a lot of people, and that's why they put it in. It had nothing to do with making the game longer.

This pretty much sums it up. Can we talk more about HD Dreamcast games now?

corin7 on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Now your are just being dramatic. People are giving you a hard time because you criticized a valid and fun-for-most game mechanic as added on fluff to pad length. Don't even try to turn this into a fanboy related argument with your Sony comment because it isn't one.

I said what I said without any negative connotations. I made the initial post defending Heavenly Sword from the label of "trash". So I can only conclude that the draft back was due to something else. I mean, why go, "Jerk, you aren't defending the game correctly." I don't get it, so excuse me for assuming.
    This has nothing to do with you not liking a Sony product. As I said, you have every right not to like the gameplay of the game. It's perfectly reasonable, and I don't really care.

Good. I'm hoping to avoid name calling.
    However, I don't think you can say it just artificially lengthens the game. There's a difference between not liking an element and saying it's just there to make the game longer. There's a big difference.

Let's put it this way.

I can think of several different ways that Heavenly Sword could have pulled that off, and could have done it better. It's made worse by the fact they chose a gameplay mechanic that really only works so well.

If the developers chose any option other than bullet time, the game would have been shorter. Can we agree on this? I think we can.

I think this is "artificially lengthening" the game. Particularly, because I think bullet time was a bad idea, and even may have been implemented specifically to extend sections of gameplay.

I'm not trying to insinuate that the developers meant to do this in a negative sense of the word, just that they knew what they were doing.
    It's not superfluous or excessive at all. You barely even have to use it. You can just tap the button if you feel like it. It's a design decision that was put in for fun. It is fun for a lot of people, and that's why they put it in.

This is never the impression I got. Granted, I only had two or three hours of time with the game, and often times I was being coached and was constantly suggested, "Alright, now slow it down, ricochet this off of this" by the games owner.

Compounded with the same opinion has been presented in a few reviews (and one video review), and I think we can come to a conclusion as to why I feel the way I do.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

I haven't even played Heavenly Sword, and I don't think it's a big deal that you don't like it. I just think your point that bullet time artificially pads game time is weak (since its also been pointed out that the bullet time doesn't even need to be used if you don't want to). You are actively in control during bullet time, and actively in control of when you go into bullet time. You can say that you don't like that gameplay mechanic, because an opinion can't be wrong. But to say that it artificially pads the game time is actually false.

The Dead Rising save system? Not familiar with it, but I do know that some games' save do in fact pad the game by forcing you to replay long sections of the game (like DMC3 regular edition).

Dirty on
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    corin7 wrote: »
    Dirty wrote: »
    After checking out Rez HD, I have come to the conclusion that Sega & Capcom need to port more Dreamcast games over to XBLA and PSN and make 'em HD. I would kill a dozen adorable kittens for Power Stone 2, Cannon Spike, Chu Chu Rocket, and Jet Set Radio, all running at 1080p.

I will sign your petition.

Yeah same. Especially Chu Chu Rocket and Power Stone (I prefer the first one, but man, the 4 player of 2 is so crazy).

God Powerstone HD gives me such a boner. I recently picked up the collection on PSP and while it is fun it just isn't the same playing it on such a tiny screen. On a 32" widescreen oh god, oh god.

I've been considering trading in my PSP for the new slim PSPs that can display to TVs.

can anyone comment on how they look?

Oh, and Corin - pick up a VGA adaptor for the dreamcast. Powerstone in 640 x 480 looks stunning.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    The Dead Rising save system? Not familiar with it, but I do know that some games' save do in fact pad the game by forcing you to replay long sections of the game (like DMC3 regular edition).

Right.

But I think the argument that, "that's still gameplay", could be made in favor of that horrible horrible game mechanic.

We're off topic, though. Please see my post above for some info.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

I can think of several different ways that Heavenly Sword could have pulled that off, and could have done it better. It's made worse by the fact they chose a gameplay mechanic that really only works so well.

If the developers chose any option other than bullet time, the game would have been shorter. Can we agree on this? I think we can.

We covered this already though. You can do that with anything. Remove jumping from mario and boom its quicker. Like it or not the bullet time is the game. You don't have to enjoy it but it is not like the devs were sitting around trying to figure out how to turn their 4 hour game into an 8 hour game and this is the best they could come up with. By your rationale we may as well argue they take out the non bullet time parts as those are making the game longer as well.

edit - Also the gameplay mechanic works well. It is a bit frustrating to get the hang of in the beginning because it requires subtle movements. But there is a lot of depth to it and by the end when you are owning fools all over the place with Kai it is crazy rewarding. Like laughing out loud awesome.

corin7 on
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I am probably going to "switch camps" really soon. I feel i have good reasons.

i rarely use Live, my 360 has broken once for the last 3 games i bought for it (Mass Effect, Halo 3, GRAW 2) And the hddvd or dvd part of the 360 has never worked for me, and they want to charge me to fix it.

Now i have the $$$ for the PS3, which is nice, but i waisted at least 250 or something like that on paying for live entire months that i didn't even log on.

Really for me, its my PC that is multiplayer... tfc2 :)... and i get netflix so i dont really rent anything on live. Really the only thing i regret is all the fun arcade live games that i play once and a blue moon.

But what really sold me was about a week ago, i went over to a friends house and played COD4 on the ps3, sure it was pretty and all but i expected the controller to suck for FPS games like the PS2 did, but it didnt... so i was sold right there. THEN we watched planet earth blue ray, and i was even more sold.

TLDR: i dont like paying for live because i never use it, 360 has broken for me too often, it dosnt play even regular dvds for me, i thought ps3 would suck for fps games but i was proven wrong a week ago.

edit: nm fanboy argument lol lol steam steam

Barcardi on
  • Options
    MonkeydryeMonkeydrye Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    After checking out Rez HD, I have come to the conclusion that Sega & Capcom need to port more Dreamcast games over to XBLA and PSN and make 'em HD. I would kill a dozen adorable kittens for Power Stone 2, Cannon Spike, Chu Chu Rocket, and Jet Set Radio, all running at 1080p.

Yeah same. Especially Chu Chu Rocket and Power Stone (I prefer the first one, but man, the 4 player of 2 is so crazy).

God Powerstone HD gives me such a boner. I recently picked up the collection on PSP and while it is fun it just isn't the same playing it on such a tiny screen. On a 32" widescreen oh god, oh god.

I've been considering trading in my PSP for the new slim PSPs that can display to TVs.

Oh, and Corin - pick up a VGA adaptor for the dreamcast. Powerstone in 640 x 480 looks stunning.

From what I have seen it looks fine, but does not nearly fill the screen. So a PSP on a 32" TV is not going to be near 32".

Monkeydrye on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Whew. Said way better than I did in the time it took me to write that post. You guys be fast. I should avoid thread arguments while working.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Monkeydrye wrote: »

From what I have seen it looks fine, but does not nearly fill the screen. So a PSP on a 32" TV is not going to be near 32".

Oh I don't need the PSP to fill the screen for 32" powerstone. I got my dreamcast right here for that, along with it's VGA adaptor.

His talking about the PSP having a tiny screen just reminded me that I want a slim PSP.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Yeah I've heard that video will take up the entire screen, but games don't. (I guess it upscales movies?) I'm thinking of getting the cable as well.

And yeah netflix is awesome for blu-rays. However there is a wait for some of the more popular movies.

My Netflix Queue: (guess which movie my wife put on there)
    queue.jpg

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Uh, ... if we agreed on this, this conversation wouldn't have happed.

I haven't played the sections in question in Heavenly Sword, so I can't make specific comments. But I do know that just because perception of time is slowed, it doesn't mean that the game takes longer. There are some instances where bullet time helps you get through a game quicker (ie: it allows me the time to line up a perfect headshot in a TPS, without taking a dozen shots in the process, rather than spending more time firing multiple rounds to other parts of his body).

Dirty on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008

Uh, ... if we agreed on this, this conversation wouldn't have happed.

I haven't played the sections in question in Heavenly Sword, so I can't make specific comments. But I do know that just because perception of time is slowed, it doesn't mean that the game takes longer. There are some instances where bullet time helps you get through a game quicker (ie: it allows me the time to line up a perfect headshot in a TPS, without taking a dozen shots in the process, rather than spending more time firing multiple rounds to other parts of his body).

Don't bother.

I mean hes actually ripping apart a game for having a game mechanic now. You can't get more non-sensical than that.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    greeble wrote: »
    queue.jpg

You should have just said your wife put all of them there. I'm sure everyone in the forum can find at least one movie to hate on that list, and therefore, think less of you.

Dirty on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I mean hes actually ripping apart a game for having a game mechanic now. You can't get more non-sensical than that.

A game mechanic I don't like if it's not implemented well.

Damn that Sleep for wishing Perfect Dark Zero would allow you to jump. Damn him for not liking the GTA parts of No More Heroes. Damn him for not being excited about changing clothes in Final Fantasy X2. THAT JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

GMAFB.

:lol:

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    greeble wrote: »
    queue.jpg

You should have just said your wife put all of them there. I'm sure everyone in the forum can find at least one movie to hate on that list, and therefore, think less of you.

I can take or leave Harry Potter the rest are all pretty good. But I am going with the English Patient as it is not Blu-Ray. I actually hit our Queue recently had to hit the upgrade everything to Blu and hd-dvd because the wife just doesn't care.

corin7 on
  • Options
    StraythStrayth Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I made the switch when my 360 bit it. It's been fine so far- the only game that was a little shifty in performance was Assassin's Creed. Aside from the 360's horrible ventilation, my problem was that every other game they produced was FPS. Replacing batteries to play something wireless ~3 feet from the console also felt stupid.

The PS3 is okay, but I have to side with RainbowDespair. Neither system has hit its peak (I don't think), and the $200 would go a lot farther down the road.

Strayth on
    That's right.
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Oh I don't need the PSP to fill the screen for 32" powerstone. I got my dreamcast right here for that, along with it's VGA adaptor.

His talking about the PSP having a tiny screen just reminded me that I want a slim PSP.

It looks decent, but you need a free component jack at least. It will look squished on a non widescreen display and I'm pretty sure it has a border around it no matter what. Also looked really dim on the display I tested it on. Acceptable though but really not a feature that should sway someone one way or the other.

Actually now I can't remember if it had a border or not. I tested it about two weeks after the launch of the slim and I can't remember! I think it does though. I would test it right now but I was borrowing the cable from a friend.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    Strayth wrote: »
    I made the switch when my 360 bit it. It's been fine so far- the only game that was a little shifty in performance was Assassin's Creed. Aside from the 360's horrible ventilation, my problem was that every other game they produced was FPS. Replacing batteries to play something wireless ~3 feet from the console also felt stupid.

The PS3 is okay, but I have to side with RainbowDespair. Neither system has hit its peak (I don't think), and the $200 would go a lot farther down the road.

I experienced only one technical issue with Assassins Creed on PS3 but it was substantial. Towards the end, the very end where there is a large gathering. Jesus, the slowdown, I mean literally 5 frames a second. Took me ages to move anywhere.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    NoelVeigaNoelVeiga Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Strayth wrote: »

I experienced only one technical issue with Assassins Creed on PS3 but it was substantial. Towards the end, the very end where there is a large gathering. Jesus, the slowdown, I mean literally 5 frames a second. Took me ages to move anywhere.

On my 360 copy, Altair fell through the ground into an alternate dimension with its own Altair. Both Altairs went on together until they both fell off the universe again. This happened several times until the Altair brothers eventually made it to the final boss fight.

The 360 one isn't without issues, either.

NoelVeiga on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Again again, I've made the mistake of not liking a Sony related product.

Funny you bring this up. A couple of years ago didn't you specifically go into the Official PSP thread (back when we were allowed to have them) and go on a big rant about how the PSP sucks? I'm pretty sure that was you. You may've even said the PS2 and Sony suck as well but my memory is pretty foggy about that part.

KVW: :| Instead of jumping into an antagonistic rant about how "shitty" the PS3 library is and how it doesn't have any system sellers, maybe you should read what I was replying to. I wasn't saying all those games were system sellers, just that they were good.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I find it funny that you still remember that situation Unco-ordinated. :)

I did my taxes today: $1450! Woot! + $300 (or $600) from the government rebate = happy spending urahonky. Still trying to decide if I should just pick up a PS3, or just hold out until the next model comes out... Which is inevitable. Hell, I might be able to find a cheap 60GB when they announce/release the 120's or whatever they decide to do.

Kinda sucks that this generation is a "Own all 3 or else you miss out on some good shit" one. Last gen I was okay with owning a good PC, GCN, and PS2. I played nearly all the games that I wanted to. But this gen I won't be able to do that. (I currently have a good PC, Wii, and 360).

Sigh... Sorry for that little rant. (Sleep, I semi-agree with your points on the lengthening of games nowadays)

urahonky on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    I find it funny that you still remember that situation Unco-ordinated. :)

Tell me about it. Crap like that I'll remember, as well as useless game knowledge, and yet I'm horrible at remembering people's names.

As for the PS3, I'd say the best idea would be trying to find a 60GB. If they bring out a new SKU I doubt they'll add anything the 60GB or 80GB lacked, other than a larger HDD and maybe a packed-in Dual Shock 3. Both are easily remedied, the former by just buying a new HDD (SATA 2.5") and the latter by just buying it seperately.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    Gaming-ModuleGaming-Module Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    My point was that I just don't see any strong positive that the PS3 has over the 360 in the context of this thread. It's one thing if we're arguing which system someone should go to from a previous generation console or none at all, but this thread is about someone who supplanted his 360 hardware and software for PS3 "equivalents."

I just don't understand the logic behind that, due to the similarity of some games on both platforms and the significantly larger number of multiplats that are superior on the 360. On top of that, the 360 just has, pound for pound, more AAA titles and a wider variety of genres represented on the platform now.

And right now, Live is the better console-based online network for games. It has a larger, more active community. It is more fully featured. It has more content available to users. The only argument that is made that has even a hint of validity is the fact that you pay roughly $4.80 per month (less if you get the card with one extra month for free). Considering what you get, it just seems like grasping at straws and it's something that fanboys do.

Fanboy is a shitty word, but they do exist and some of them are paid plants on forums like these. That's just an absolute fact.

Back to the root of the discussion, I wouldn't take nearly as much issue with a thread like this if it were about someone jumping ship from the 360 to the Wii, because they are such different animals.

The 360 and PS3 are so similar that, depending on your perspective, you could say that the 360 is better at being a PS3 than a PS3 is if that's what you're looking for (unless the exclusives are an overruling factor) and the PS3 is not nearly as good at being a 360 as an actual 360.

It sounds fucking weird. I'm not sure if I even articulated that properly, but these two consoles are so glaringly similar and have so much overlap across the board that threads like this really baffle me. It's sort of like the Democratic race going on right now. The two of them are very similar, with slight differences here and there, but one is clearly stronger than the other, despite those similarities.

Basically what I'm saying is Obama/360 08!

Gaming-Module on
  • Options
    Gaming-ModuleGaming-Module Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    My point was that I just don't see any strong positive that the PS3 has over the 360 in the context of this thread. It's one thing if we're arguing which system someone should go to from a previous generation console or none at all, but this thread is about someone who supplanted his 360 hardware and software for PS3 "equivalents."

I just don't understand the logic behind that, due to the similarity of some games on both platforms and the significantly larger number of multiplats that are superior on the 360. On top of that, the 360 just has, pound for pound, more AAA titles and a wider variety of genres represented on the platform now.

And right now, Live is the better console-based online network for games. It has a larger, more active community. It is more fully featured. It has more content available to users. The only argument that is made that has even a hint of validity is the fact that you pay roughly $4.80 per month (less if you get the card with one extra month for free). Considering what you get, it just seems like grasping at straws and it's something that fanboys do.

Fanboy is a shitty word, but they do exist and some of them are paid plants on forums like these. That's just an absolute fact.

Back to the root of the discussion, I wouldn't take nearly as much issue with a thread like this if it were about someone jumping ship from the 360 to the Wii, because they are such different animals.

The 360 and PS3 are so similar that, depending on your perspective, you could say that the 360 is better at being a PS3 than a PS3 is if that's what you're looking for (unless the exclusives are an overruling factor) and the PS3 is not nearly as good at being a 360 as an actual 360.

It sounds fucking weird. I'm not sure if I even articulated that properly, but these two consoles are so glaringly similar and have so much overlap across the board that threads like this really baffle me. It's sort of like the Democratic race going on right now. The two of them are very similar, with slight differences here and there, but one is clearly stronger than the other, despite those similarities.

Basically what I'm saying is Obama/360 08!

Gaming-Module on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    You may've even said the PS2 and Sony suck as well but my memory is pretty foggy about that part.

Probably. I've had to replace two PS2s, and I have a long personal history with the company. Family owns a furniture and appliance company Sony were a hassle to deal with working for my dad as a teen, and Vaio's were among some of the most unreliable pieces of hardware when they first came out and when I was doing IT work in college. I hear they're doing better in all three regards though. (Corporate service, PC/Appliance quality)

In effect, you'll be hard pressed to hear me say something positive about them.

However...
    Funny you bring this up. A couple of years ago didn't you specifically go into the Official PSP thread (back when we were allowed to have them) and go on a big rant about how the PSP sucks? I'm pretty sure that was you. You may've even said the PS2 and Sony suck as well but my memory is pretty foggy about that part.

Probably. A couple of years ago the PSP didn't have much to be excited about. Now, though, I have access to one, Jean D'Arc, Final Fantasy Tactics, Disgaea to play plus all of those UMD movies are in sub bargain bin price ranges. Five for ten dollars. The system had a price cut as well.

I can use a PSP Slim with an old style PSP battery and extend the battery life on it by a couple of hours.

I have a bit of freedom with the machine, games are relatively cheap, and it's now fairly versatile. Still don't like it as much as I did the PSX, but then again, the PSX had an awesome version of Civilization 2 on it. Can't beat that.

Sheep on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    I own all three consoles so I feel I can comment here really.

I recently completed R&C and thought it was equally as good, if not better than Mario Galaxy. I know that may get me forcibly ejected from this forum by some of the Nintendo fans but it was a superb game.

I've also completed Heavenly Sword and, albeit short, it was superb. Clearly you either haven't played it, or haven't completed the first stage and got the heavenly sword.

Motorstorm may not be a must have title, but it is a superb and fun game.

Rez may be great and all, but why not just pop the PS2 copy in to the PS3?

I didnt' have a problem with your post, actually thought it was really good at making your point, without trying to play up the PS3, until here.

You forget that the best selling PS3 model right now has no BC at all. So ya, there will be lots of people who can do that, but also just as many that cant.

Without playing up the PS3, consider this:

Rez isn't available to all PS3 users? Well, Rez isn't available to all 360 owners. I believe just over half have connected their 360's to Live (60% at a quick check), that means that just under half either don't have internet access, don't know how to set their 360 up to it or simply don't care.

In addition to this, core users without a memory card will be unable to play. At 120mb too, if you only have the one memory card it doesn't leave you much space for anything else (without constant deletion and re-downloading).

I would wager that, proportion wise (not physical numbers), it's perhaps equal between PS3 owners with backwards compatibility and 360 owners with internet access/non-core packs.

Multiple SKU's are an utter bitch this generation.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

I recently completed R&C and thought it was equally as good, if not better than Mario Galaxy. I know that may get me forcibly ejected from this forum by some of the Nintendo fans but it was a superb game.

I've also completed Heavenly Sword and, albeit short, it was superb. Clearly you either haven't played it, or haven't completed the first stage and got the heavenly sword.

I didnt' have a problem with your post, actually thought it was really good at making your point, without trying to play up the PS3, until here.

You forget that the best selling PS3 model right now has no BC at all. So ya, there will be lots of people who can do that, but also just as many that cant.

Rez isn't available to all PS3 users? Well, Rez isn't available to all 360 owners. I believe just over half have connected their 360's to Live (60% at a quick check), that means that just under half either don't have internet access, don't know how to set their 360 up to it or simply don't care.

In addition to this, core users without a memory card will be unable to play. At 120mb too, if you only have the one memory card it doesn't leave you much space for anything else (without constant deletion and re-downloading).

I would wager that, proportion wise (not physical numbers), it's perhaps equal between PS3 owners with backwards compatibility and 360 owners with internet access/non-core packs.

I'm sorry, this is a wild tangent but I have to respond: This argument really doesn't hold weight, as 360 memory cards and ethernet cables are infinitely easier to find than a usable PS2 copy of Rez. Plus, you can't just go out and buy a "backwards compatibility cord" for the PS3. If a user decides he or she wants to buy the game, it's readily available on the 360 (and will never run out of stock) but limited by the chance of finding the game on the PS3 side.

I agree that multiple models have really boned both the 360 and PS3, but the widespread availability of digital distribution is most assuredly a factor in deciding what console a person wants to buy. Whoever said that XBLA and PSN titles shouldn't be weighed into the equation is terribly mistaken, since a shit-ton of money has changed hands over such digital distribution -- to say nothing of the Wii's nostalgic allure of the VC.

In the context of this thread it's blatantly obvious that a PS3 would be a better choice for the OP, since he's already said he doesn't use Live (one of the 360's biggest strengths) and doesn't really care for the games and franchises that are out now or on the horizon that he knows of (another of the 360's biggest strengths).

I personally agree with your base argument -- that the 360 and PS3 libraries are really quite similar in terms of game genres and playstyle -- but that's all YMMV. If you're a diehard Final Fantasy devotee, nothing that's not Final Fantasy isn't going to placate you, even if it's called Lost Odyssey or Blue Dragon. Games like Ninja Gaiden, DMC and God of War all exist in the same loose genre but they still have very distinct identities and it's completely logical for someone to like one but not the others.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited February 2008

I don't like saying it, but I think it's high time Microsoft stops limiting games based on hardware. Your game can't run on a non HD Xbox? Sorry. This game needs the space.

Most of the limitations come from available storage space anyway. If you don't already have a hard drive, isn't a good sign that you're less likely to play these games as well?

Sheep on