As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Xbox 360 through VGA

Grizzly_AddamsGrizzly_Addams Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited February 2008 in Games and Technology
I have this monitor:

http://computers.pricegrabber.com/flat-panel-lcd-monitors/m/27241334/

I enjoy it immensely. It's crystal clear, bright as hell, and as far as I can tell, never has visible latency.

This, however, is with a DVI-D (digital) connection from my computer.

In the interest of not wanting to monopolize the TV from my wife (the TV and my computer are feet away from each other, I will most likely just be moving the system back and forth depending on the situation) I want to connect my 360 to that monitor with the MS VGA cable, which I assume is analog. My 360 does not support HDMI, and my monitor does support both analog and digital.

How should I expect the picture and playability to be on the monitor, and where can I get the cable for less than $40? I've searched Froogle, but it's hard for me to tell which sites are reliable, as I only shop online once or twice a year.

Edit: Also, my monitor appears to have Scaling and Stretching capabilites built in, but I've never used them. Will this be crucial in playing 16:9 games on my 16:10 monitor?

Dr+Bongenstein.png
Grizzly_Addams on

• Options
    MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I use a monitor with the 360 VGA cable. Looks flawless.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I also use a monitor (a 19" LCD) with my 360. It is also flawless. You might have better luck on eBay, but $40 is pretty much the price of admission for a 360 VGA cable.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Don't think you'll find a cable under 40, but its possible. I think mine was 50; worth it though.

Picture is great, and vga allows you to upconvert dvd's up to 1080p, if thats your thing.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    davidbarrydavidbarry Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm currently using the XBox VGA cable as well, but on a 4:3 lcd screen. It looks fantastic, and as an added bonus it'll make the 360 upscale DVD's to whatever resolution you're running at. (To my knowledge, if you use the standard component cables it'll only output DVD's in 480p)

I can't speak to scaling issues with a 16:10 monitor, unfortunately.

davidbarry on
    davidbarry.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    So with the gorgeous picture i get on my 22" monitor I'm practically retarded for not having done this yet?

What's the deal with something like this:

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=205880672&listingid=11227021&dcaid=17902

Grizzly_Addams on
    Dr+Bongenstein.png
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Scaling with a 16:10 works great for me.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    A friend of mine bought one from Gamespot for only $12... so if you look around at stores like that you could find it for much less than $40.

Nitsua on
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I play on a 22" monitor on both my PS3 and 360. I have absolutely no complaints. It looks unbelievable, and was sure a hell of a lot cheaper than buying a new TV. The scaling seems to be just fine.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    My official cable was 30 bucks and the day I ordered it I saw a 3rd party 360 VGA cable for 20 bucks at Target... I almost canceled my order, but fuck it.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    My official cable was 30 bucks and the day I ordered it I saw a 3rd party 360 VGA cable for 20 bucks at Target... I almost canceled my order, but fuck it.

Curse you thrifty jerks! I paid $50. :(

(In my defence, it was like a year ago, before prices had adjusted to the higher Canadian dollar).

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Damn, it's still $50 at most places.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    XBOX 360 VGA CABLE $9.39 @ monoprice.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Oh, another question for those of you who are doing this same thing, what are you using for audio?

Grizzly_Addams on
    Dr+Bongenstein.png
  • Options
    Naughty_SauceNaughty_Sauce Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Oh, another question for those of you who are doing this same thing, what are you using for audio?

I use an RCA-to-stereo mini jack adapter to connect my PS3 to the line in jack on my sound card. Although I'm looking to upgrade my current sound card (Audigy 2 ZS) to something that has an optical (toslink) input.

Naughty_Sauce on
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    I take my audio out into a switch, which also collects the DVD audio which is then fed into my amplifier and speakers. The official MS cable comes with a phono -> 3.5mm stereo jack so you could then take that and plug it straight into your computer speakers if you lacked a reciever / amp.

Scaling / stretching is entirely game dependant as far as I can tell. On Dead Rising cutscenes I get some really visible tearing, but everything else comes out flawlessly on my 24" Dell.

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    edited February 2008

My solution is very messy. I've got both my 360 and PS3 connected to RCA->3.5mm adapters, which are then connected into a 3.5mm splitter (one of those cheap cables people buy to split an iPod between two different sets of headphones... totally not designed for what I'm doing), which is then connected to my PC's sound card, which is an incredibly cheap Audigy 4 SE. Soon-ish (ie, when I can find a cheap cable that's long enough), I'll be getting rid of the split and just use a toslink cable to connect my PS3.

Audio quality is surprisingly good in this setup, but I have to have both of the consoles on at the same time for it to work. If only one is on, the sound is almost inaudible.

Evangir on
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Evangir, I've attempted a similar setup, and found that trying to use that kind of splitter to merge two sources would not work. That's interesting that it works for you.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    Everything I've heard about third party 360 VGA adaptors has been that they are shitty (like, from a butt), so make sure you spring for the official one, even if it's $10 more.

It sucks you don't have HDMI. I picked up an HDMI to DVi adaptor for my 360 and had it hooked up through DVi to my 19" widescreen LCD, and it looked absolutely glorious. I've since had to sell the entire setup, but my memory lives on.

In terms of audio, an RCA to minijack converter is like $3, and will allow you to plug the audio cables from the VGA adaptor directly into a minijack (like your computer speakers), so that is the cheapest route to go. The one I used is made by Logitech, and it supports surround sound. It's a little box a little bigger than a matchbox, and thicker, so it's easy to hide behind a desk.

Your monitor itself has a 5ms response time, which is pretty good. You probably won't see too much ghosting. The monitor also has VGA, which I'm assuming you're using for your PC.

Basically, check and see how much it would cost to get a KVM splitter to allow both the 360 and the PC to use the VGA port, and then compare that price against whatever it will cost you to get the 360's VGA signal converted to DVi.

Then go with whatever is cheapest.

Einhander on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Einhander wrote: »
    Everything I've heard about third party 360 VGA adaptors has been that they are shitty (like, from a butt), so make sure you spring for the official one, even if it's $10 more.

It sucks you don't have HDMI. I picked up an HDMI to DVi adaptor for my 360 and had it hooked up through DVi to my 19" widescreen LCD, and it looked absolutely glorious. I've since had to sell the entire setup, but my memory lives on.

In terms of audio, an RCA to minijack converter is like $3, and will allow you to plug the audio cables from the VGA adaptor directly into a minijack (like your computer speakers), so that is the cheapest route to go. The one I used is made by Logitech, and it supports surround sound. It's a little box a little bigger than a matchbox, and thicker, so it's easy to hide behind a desk.

Your monitor itself has a 5ms response time, which is pretty good. You probably won't see too much ghosting. The monitor also has VGA, which I'm assuming you're using for your PC.

Basically, check and see how much it would cost to get a KVM splitter to allow both the 360 and the PC to use the VGA port, and then compare that price against whatever it will cost you to get the 360's VGA signal converted to DVi.

Then go with whatever is cheapest.

Just glancing at his monitor's specs, he shouldn't need to use a KVM. He has both DVI-D and VGA on the monitor (and mentions using DVI-D for his PC).

Evangir on
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    Evangir wrote: »
    Just glancing at his monitor's specs, he shouldn't need to use a KVM. He has both DVI-D and VGA on the monitor (and mentions using DVI-D for his PC).

Yeah I seem to have glanced at that and missed it somehow. I thought he was using the VGA connection for his PC.

Grizzly_Adams, the 360 will look great on VGA. It will make you wonder why you didn't do it sooner. You'll be losing a bit of screen size going from a twentysomething or higher inch TV to a 22" monitor, but 22" is still pretty large, and you won't have to battle the lady for the television.

Einhander on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Einhander wrote: »
    Evangir wrote: »

Yeah I seem to have glanced at that and missed it somehow. I thought he was using the VGA connection for his PC.

Grizzly_Adams, the 360 will look great on VGA. It will make you wonder why you didn't do it sooner. You'll be losing a bit of screen size going from a twentysomething or higher inch TV to a 22" monitor, but 22" is still pretty large, and you won't have to battle the lady for the television.

It's actually a 51" Sont RPCRT. But it's getting old now as has some burn in, and is just not that bright anymore. Plus it's so my wife can watch Biggest Loser and One Tree Hill in peace while I play Lost Oddysey.

Grizzly_Addams on
    Dr+Bongenstein.png
  • Options
    LordOfMeepLordOfMeep Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    OK, I'm getting a 360 soon, and I don't own an HD (And don't have the budget for one) and I don't want to end up playing Mass Effect or something and have a really hard time reading text because the font wasn't designed to be viewed in SD. I've got plenty of VGA PC monitors lying about, so this sounds like a pretty nice solution.

My questions are:

Is the end of the VGA cable that goes into the monitor male or female? If it's male, is there a converter I can get that'll let me connect two male ends together? Both monitors I have have malle connections at the end.

Is there any way to convert the stereo audio plugs into something my PC speakers can use (Or the Line-In jack on the back of a spare stereo)? They're rinky-dink, run-of-the-mill PC speakers. If not, I'll probably have to use some backwards-ass solution involving playing the audio out a TV.

Yes, I'm really stupid when it comes to these kinds of questions, so I won't be surprised if anything I just asked was completely unrealistic and that I'm fucked and will have to simply play through my SD TV like I always have.

LordOfMeep on
    SpaceGarSig.png
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    XBOX 360 VGA CABLE $9.39 @ monoprice.

I'm using this set right now on my 40" LCD TV, and it works flawlessly. Looks as good as the $40 first-party ones that I bought and then returned a few days later when the monoprice one came. Also, IIRC the official VGA cables are on sale for $15 at Toys R Us...? I forget where I saw it, I think it was CAG. You may want to check it out.s

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    LordOfMeep wrote: »
    My questions are:

Is the end of the VGA cable that goes into the monitor male or female? If it's male, is there a converter I can get that'll let me connect two male ends together? Both monitors I have have malle connections at the end.

I'm pretty sure that the official Microsoft VGA cable comes with a converter so either way, you're fine.
    Is there any way to convert the stereo audio plugs into something my PC speakers can use (Or the Line-In jack on the back of a spare stereo)? They're rinky-dink, run-of-the-mill PC speakers. If not, I'll probably have to use some backwards-ass solution involving playing the audio out a TV.

The Microsoft VGA cable also comes with a converter for changing the stereo audio plugs into a PC plug, although you may need to go and pick up a cheap $3-5 male or female converter at Radio Shack if you can't plug directly into your speakers.

Anyway, I highly recommend the official VGA cable. On my 19" widescreen monitor, everything looks fantastic.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    JerikTelorianJerikTelorian Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'd highly recommend using your monitor with the MSoft VGA cable. Once I bought it, three of my roommates went out and got the cable too, and none of us have looked back.

JerikTelorian on
    SteamID -- JerikTelorian
    XBL: LiquidSnake2061
    Shade wrote: »
    Anyone notice how some things (mattresses and the copy machines in Highrise) are totally impenetrable? A steel wall, yeah that makes sense, but bullets should obliterate copy machines.

I don't know about you, but I always buy a bullet proof printer. Its a lot more expensive, but I think the advantages are apparent.
  • Options
    ThrustinJThrustinJ Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I use a non-MS cable on my 42" Sceptre. It looks great. Not sure why it wouldn't look great on a 20".

ThrustinJ on
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    If anyone is looking for the official Microsoft VGA cable, your local Toys R Us might have it for $20. It's worth a look since that's half off the normal retail price.

Shady3011 on