As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

George Romero's Diary of the Dead

Mullitt The WiseMullitt The Wise Registered User regular
dotd.jpg
So, today was the premiere of Diary of the Dead.
It is the 5th "of the Dead" zombie movie by George Romero, but is not in the same series. The outbreak happens all over again, this time being documented by some college film makers who had just set out to make a horror movie for a class project. It follows their story as they attempt to get the truth out there, because they feel people aren't getting the full story from news outlets and the government.

The film was produced independently by George Romero and Artfire films so George Romero has pretty much full creative control over the movie. It is shot entirely by hand-held cameras, but unlike Cloverfield, it is being filmed by film students who know what they're doing, so it isn't really that shaky or disorienting.

wiki page
imdb page

My thoughts on this movie:
It was bad. Not Land of the Dead bad. Land of the Dead was bad in a way only big budget Hollywood movies can be.
Diary of the Dead just has a bad script and bad actors. Everyone of the main characters apparently exist only to piss everyone else off and get them killed.
Also, the political undertones are practically printed on the screen in bold text. I understand what George is trying to say about journalists turning a blind eye when they are behind the camera, but it just gets ridiculous.
Anyone who steps behind a camera automatically becomes completely committed only to documenting what is happening, so much so that some characters are afraid to pick one up and film. Camera's make you not give a shit about your friends.
That being said, I had a good time. The dialogue is so bad that it's hilarious, and the zombie parts of the movie are really well done and scary (most of the time). It's a shame that the only good character, a deaf Amish man, is only in a small part of the movie.
I'd say if you like zombie movies, you probably won't be disappointed because you're used to shit. If you want to see a good movie this weekend, I guess it's better than Step Up 2 the Streets.

balloonssig.jpg
Mullitt The Wise on

• Options
    IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    How does one go about screwing up a genre they all but created?

Iriah on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Iriah wrote: »
    Dude, all of Romero's movies are pretty much shit. That this one sucks, too, isn't really all that surprising.

EDIT: Alternatively, you might ask George Lucas the same question.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I think this is coming out at a really bad time.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I think this is coming out at a really bad time.

Yeah, the public's anti-zombie sentiments have never been this intense.

I blame McCain.

TL DR on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Obvious political statements?

In a George Romero movie?

Get the fuck out

Furu on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Furu wrote: »

Get the fuck out
    Well, it past movies they have been somewhat subtle. He doesn't even try this time.

Mullitt The Wise on
    balloonssig.jpg
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Furu wrote: »

Get the fuck out
    Well, it past movies they have been somewhat subtle. He doesn't even try this time.

Romero has never, ever been subtle.

Burnage on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Tell me: does Ving Rhames blow any heads off with a shotgun? Because if not, I will be seriously saddened.
    From now on, every zombie movie must have three things:
    2w6vr6c.gif
    PUMPSHOTGUN.jpg
    rhames.jpg

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    UnKnown SoldierUnKnown Soldier Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Tell me: does Ving Rhames blow any heads off with a shotgun? Because if not, I will be seriously saddened.
    From now on, every zombie movie must have three things:
    2w6vr6c.gif
    PUMPSHOTGUN.jpg
    rhames.jpg

My survival plan for the Zombocolypse is as follows:

Step 1: Find Vin Rhames

Step 2: If Vin Rhames does not have a shotgun, get Vin Rhames a shotgun.

Final step: Get ammo for Vin Rhames' shotgun.

UnKnown Soldier on
  • Options
    Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    just saw a spot about this on some entertainment magazine show. Looks pretty cool

Cloverfield lite + Zombies = :^:

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Man I've never even heard of this until now..

There really aren't enough zombie movies being released though. Too bad this sounds shitty...

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I feel bad for Romero.

When he was writing this, he didn't know anything about Cloverfield.

He was very annoyed when he found out.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    UnKnown SoldierUnKnown Soldier Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

There really aren't enough zombie movies being released though. Too bad this sounds shitty...

All they need to do is make WWZ like the book.

That's all they need to do.

Something is telling me they're not gonna do it.

UnKnown Soldier on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008

Tru

TL DR on
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I really enjoyed this movie. True, the dialogue teetered between passable and garbage throughout the film, as did the acting. But aside from those things, this movie was a lot of fun to watch. The effects were great (though it did have some overdone CG, not a whole lot of it) and there was a good deal of humor (not Shaun of the Dead-levels, but a good amount).

Honestly, if you're a fan of zombie films (and if you're reading this topic, there's a pretty good chance of that), you owe it to yourself to check this out. It really is enjoyable.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    A deaf Amish guy? If you ask me, this movie has become a must-see!

So, were you literal in your saying that the characters are afraid to pick up the (or a) camera?

Henroid on
  • Options
    .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Formula fails in the Day of the Dead remake. Well, maybe it didn't have the shotgun headshotting; I can't be sure since I turned it off after the first thirty dreadful minutes.

.Tripwire. on
    sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    I feel bad for Romero.

When he was writing this, he didn't know anything about Cloverfield.

He was very annoyed when he found out.

Got a link to an interview or blog post or something where he shows this? I'm just curious.

yalborap on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    george_romero.jpg
    At the same time, before we even shot Land of the Dead, I had this idea that I wanted to do something about the blogosphere, about this new media. I thought I've got to do this quick. I also wanted to leave. After Land, I said, "Outta here, I want to go back to my roots. I want to do something small and see if I have the chops or the stamina to do it." I had this idea and I had it actually sketched out in a rough draft of the script. The moment we finished Land, I sort of refined the script a little bit. I was going to run away, literally run away. I wanted to do it at a film school where I taught a couple of classes way under the radar for a couple hundred grand. Do it with students. The guys at Artfire saw the script and said, "No, no, let's go theatrical with it. How little can you do it for?" Peter and I sat down and did the lowest budget that we could conceive. In order to do it union and legitimately, all of a sudden it's not 200 anymore, it's two million because of all of that. So we came in under four and the guys at Artfire said okay, and they gave me the controls, so I said sure. That's where it came from. I also felt that I needed to do it quickly because somebody was sure going to do something about it soon. God damn, who knew that Brian [De Palma] was shooting Redacted and Cloverfield was happening? We didn't know. We thought we were going to be the first guys. Didn't work out that way.
    The full 3 page interview is over on RottenTomatoes.com.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    My thoughts on this movie:
    It was bad. Not Land of the Dead bad. Land of the Dead was bad in a way only big budget Hollywood movies can be.

Diary of the Dead just has a bad script and bad actors. Everyone of the main characters apparently exist only to piss everyone else off and get them killed.
    That being said, I had a good time. The dialogue is so bad that it's hilarious, and the zombie parts of the movie are really well done and scary (most of the time). It's a shame that the only good character, a deaf Amish man, is only in a small part of the movie.

My friend is a huge zombie fanatic (and by huge, I mean that in both the figurative and literal sense; he's a giant guy and he has zombie tattoos all over his arms).

So we drove all the way down to Miami to see it b/c there were only 2 theatres showing it. $25 for parking in fucking South Beach.

Anyway, I agree with most of what you said above.

- There was not enough screen time for the deaf Amish man.
    - The roles given for the main characters were extraordinarily cliche.
    - The acting was 100% wooden for everyone except anyone who was black (you'll know what I'm talking about if you see the film).
    - The uber-religious girl (coincidentally named "Mary") was really fucking stupid.

Otherwise, this was a fun zombie flick. With headshots being what they were, Romero tried to find inventive, creative and surprising ways to kill off or otherwise interact with the zombies, which was both unexpected and entertaining.

Also, interesting use of the pool to show us something new.

I enjoyed it, but I wanted them all to just fucking die already because holy shit combination of bad acting and dumb character choices. Except the deaf Amish dude; he rocked.

I'd love to see a zombie movie where people think logically about a situation. And maybe they've already seen a zombie movie and can work from that.

Go see it; it's a low-budget restart, nothing big-budget like Land of the Dead.

Squashua on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    The pool reminds me (minor spoilers):
    Why did the zombies stay at the bottom for so long if it was that easy for them to escape?

Mullitt The Wise on
    balloonssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    The pool reminds me (minor spoilers):
    Why did the zombies stay at the bottom for so long if it was that easy for them to escape?

I have no idea. No incentive? Maybe the door was locked and they didn't get a scent until it was left open or whatever hive mind there is took hold.

Squashua on
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Iriah wrote: »
    Dude, all of Romero's movies are pretty much shit. That this one sucks, too, isn't really all that surprising.

EDIT: Alternatively, you might ask George Lucas the same question.

Yeah, well...all of your ideas are shit! Yeah, take that.

Sorry, I'm just upset that someone would actually go so far as to say that his movies are shit. It just breaks my heart.

No place around here is playing this movie...it makes me extremely sad.

Crayon on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008

I heard something about a zombie cartoon for Adult Swim that was being worked on. I'll poke around and see if I can find some stuff on it again.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Annnd apparantly it's called Shuffle and is supposed to be very dark and violent. How that will fare on Adult Swim amid all the piles of failure that they pump out now so that stoned college kids can chortle, I dunno.

Can't find shit about it on the magic internet. Had to call a guy who's girlfriend works for Cartoon Network to find out.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    At the same time, before we even shot Land of the Dead, I had this idea that I wanted to do something about the blogosphere, about this new media. I thought I've got to do this quick. I also wanted to leave. After Land, I said, "Outta here, I want to go back to my roots. I want to do something small and see if I have the chops or the stamina to do it." I had this idea and I had it actually sketched out in a rough draft of the script. The moment we finished Land, I sort of refined the script a little bit. I was going to run away, literally run away. I wanted to do it at a film school where I taught a couple of classes way under the radar for a couple hundred grand. Do it with students. The guys at Artfire saw the script and said, "No, no, let's go theatrical with it. How little can you do it for?" Peter and I sat down and did the lowest budget that we could conceive. In order to do it union and legitimately, all of a sudden it's not 200 anymore, it's two million because of all of that. So we came in under four and the guys at Artfire said okay, and they gave me the controls, so I said sure. That's where it came from. I also felt that I needed to do it quickly because somebody was sure going to do something about it soon. God damn, who knew that Brian [De Palma] was shooting Redacted and Cloverfield was happening? We didn't know. We thought we were going to be the first guys. Didn't work out that way.
    The full 3 page interview is over on RottenTomatoes.com.

Sadly, it's not a matter of who came up with the idea first, it's who came out with it first. The public isn't going to know that Romero wasn't trying to cash in on a good idea. Not that he's going to make a lot of money off of the film...

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I thought it was interesting that in the original dawn of the dead, they didn't mean for the black guy getting shot by the police to mirror MLK's assassination. Romero heard about it on the way home after finishing filming.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Man this is already out? I heard about this while cruising through wikipedia and doing general zombie/"... of the Dead" searches. I doubt any place around here is going to play it as well. Guess I better stick to my job for a few months longer then.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Their myspace page or something has the listing of all theatres, updated daily. Check it out ASAP b/c it just came out this weekend and you might still have a chance of catching it.

Squashua on
  • Options
    oddmentoddment Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I just went to see this today (opened yesterday here in England). I have to say, I rather enjoyed it overall. The last half an hour or so took a bit of a dive, but was still enjoyable. Before that though, it was great. Very dark, quite bleak, but funny in parts. The whole hospital part was really well done, as was the small section with the Amish guy. Genius.
    Most of the acting was great, but there were a few dud actors in there. They didn't spoil the whole movie, but they did bring me out of it every once in a while. Also, while I can understand to an extent the motivations of the main dude with the camera, cos I'm sure I would be that way myself, it seems very odd that when people were in trouble, and he was the only one there to help, he wouldn't put down the camera.

Anyway, thoroughly enjoyable experience. Definatley better than Land Of The Dead. I heartily reccomend it to all of you who haven't yet seen it!

Man, I can't wait to see what Romero does next!

oddment on
    PSN Sig Hidden Within!*
    oddment84.png
    *Thanks Thanatos!
  • Options
    ufoufo Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    i just came back from the theatre.

ive been wanting to see this since it opened and it was only now that a theatre closer then 2 hours away was showing it. i had high expectations and i guess that was my problem.

this movie was absolutely tragic in just about every way imaginable with the exception of being the killings. overall they were decent throughout the movie.

everything else though, wow just wow. the acting and motivation for the characters was beyond awful for the most part. they were not believable in the least and it felt like a poorly written script which it was. the emotion just wasnt there.

i hate to make the comparison since obviously its not the same but cloverfield got it right. where it exceeded this just fell flat.

ufo on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    Kee, so I've finally gotten to watch this and...

George...George...what hapenned to you? It wasn't like an amateur camera movie, it was like a very, very fake made for TV movie. She fucking electric paddled someone and she didn't even manage to convey the most basic expression of non-wood.

WTF!? Terrible. God. How long must I wait for a good Dawn of the Dead like movie. Damn you George.

I own all of the Dead even the remake on DVD and have them all ripped to my HDD and this thing...I'm embarassed to own it.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    MattieMattie Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Terrible terrible terrible movie.

Even if you are a fan of zombie movies stay away.

Mattie on
    3DS Code 0001-3323-2884
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Suplex86
  • Options
    BernardBernoulliBernardBernoulli Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I don't know why everyone's saying it's such a shame Cloverfield did the idea first (considering the Blair Witch Project came out in '99 or something, that doesn't even make sense)

Cloverfield just did it much better. Really, they should've gone with a one-camera thing, and have the camerman actually be a part of the film instead of just an observer. Oh, and having one of the characters give a lecture about how journalists shouldn't absolve themselves of responsibility was an awful idea. You might not think Romero was particularly subtle in Dawn or Day, but at least wasn't having the characters lecture the audience

BernardBernoulli on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    I don't know why everyone's saying it's such a shame Cloverfield did the idea first (considering the Blair Witch Project came out in '99 or something, that doesn't even make sense)

Cloverfield just did it much better. Really, they should've gone with a one-camera thing, and have the camerman actually be a part of the film instead of just an observer. Oh, and having one of the characters give a lecture about how journalists shouldn't absolve themselves of responsibility was an awful idea. You might not think Romero was particularly subtle in Dawn or Day, but at least wasn't having the characters lecture the audience

I never felt like a message was being thrust at me in Dawn. Ever really. Read up on it after watching and you can see it but really I always just saw it as exactly what I'd do in the same situation and it was fun to watch in that regard.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    BernardBernoulliBernardBernoulli Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I never felt like a message was being thrust at me in Dawn. Ever really. Read up on it after watching and you can see it but really I always just saw it as exactly what I'd do in the same situation and it was fun to watch in that regard.

Agreed. But you can kind of see it after watching it a few times: zombies instinctively go to the mall, which eventually becomes a prison for the main characters, and then kills a bunch of people when they start fighting over it unnecessarily (including one main character who tries to defend it even though he doesn't need to)

There certainly wasn't any preaching, the subtext never detracted from the film and can easily be ignored

Unlike Diary

BernardBernoulli on