As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Microsoft GDC Keynote thread - Gears 2 Nov / Fable 2 Co-Op / Demos on XBL after show

The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
edited February 2008 in Games and Technology
Perhaps we should have one. this could turn into a general gdc discussion thread if wanted once more keynotes and conferences are done, as the 'planning' sticky isnt really the place for such discussion.

So, Gears of war 2, this november eh? thats news right?

trailer will be online soon. keynote starts in <1 hour. screenshots and pr materials already avaliable on the interwebs if you look hard enough.

other notable announcements include xna development tools on xbl by the end of the year. self publishing wooooo

oh and castle crashers demo to land soon.

also part of the keynote shows the penny arcade game. which is awesome.

all this and more to be found in this press release.
Microsoft Provides Thrilling First Look at Xbox 360 Blockbuster Portfolio for 2008, Announces “Gears of War 2” Ships This November

The world’s hottest developers pave the way for a banner year with a blockbuster lineup that includes “Gears of War 2,” “Fable 2,” “Ninja Gaiden II” and a rich mix of indie Xbox LIVE Arcade titles.

Today at the Game Developers Conference (GDC) 2008, Microsoft Corp. provided an exciting glimpse at what promises to be another landmark year for games and online entertainment on the Xbox 360 platform and officially announced the launch of “Gears of War 2,” exclusively for Xbox 360 this November.

Providing a dramatic close to Microsoft’s GDC keynote address, Epic Games Inc.’s lead designer Cliff Bleszinski announced that the epic saga of Marcus Fenix and Delta Squad continues exclusively on the Xbox 360 this fall with “Gears of War 2.” This highly anticipated sequel to the 4.5 million-selling blockbuster “Gears of War” delves deeper into humanity’s struggle for survival against the nightmarish Locust Horde, and promises to take high-definition visuals to a whole new level.

In addition, acclaimed developer Peter Molyneux of Lionhead Studios took the stage to showcase exciting new multiplayer features for “Fable 2,” introducing dynamic cooperative play, a first to the franchise. Molyneux also announced that later this year, and before the launch of “Fable 2,” gamers can get a sneak peek at the game’s world when the “Fable 2” pub games debut as a stand-alone download on Xbox LIVE Arcade. When “Fable 2” launches, gamers will have the ability to transfer currency earned in the pub games directly to their character in “Fable 2.” This unique and first-of-its-kind experience, which can be found only on Xbox LIVE Arcade, will give the millions of “Fable” fans and gamers all around the globe the opportunity to jump into the “Fable 2” world with money already in the bank.

Tomonobu Itagaki also revealed new “Ninja Gaiden II” game-sharing features, including Ninja Cinema, which is enabled solely through Xbox LIVE, providing exciting and innovative entertainment experiences for the more than 10 million Xbox LIVE members worldwide by allowing players to record and upload their best ninja moves to Xbox LIVE.

“To our team the original game was just a tease, the appetizer to the ‘Gears of War’ characters and new style of gameplay. We were so amped to get to the next chapter, and dig deeper into the universe of this franchise,” said Cliff Bleszinski, lead designer for Epic Games. “‘Gears of War 2’ is an even bigger, better, and more badass experience than the first game, and we can’t wait to get it in the hands of eager gamers this November.”

This year, the most anticipated games will be found exclusively on Xbox 360, including the next chapters of top franchises such as “Gears of War,” “Fable” and “Ninja Gaiden,” as well as new titles such as “Too Human.”

· “Gears of War 2” (Epic Games). “Gears of War 2” is the sequel to the 4.5 million-selling blockbuster that redefined the third-person tactical action game genre. “Gears of War 2” continues the story of Marcus Fenix and Delta Squad in an epic saga of survival, loss and retribution. Developed by Epic Games exclusively for Xbox 360, “Gears of War 2” launches this November.
· “Fable 2” (Lionhead Studios). In addition to the dynamic co-op mode unveiled onstage, Peter Molyneux also announced that Carbonated Games is bringing the “Fable 2” experience to Xbox LIVE Arcade. Before the game’s launch, gamers will be able to get an early taste of the “Fable 2” experience and gain a head start on earning currency for use in “Fable 2” by playing “Fable 2”-themed pub games that will be downloadable via Xbox LIVE Arcade. The currency earned in these Xbox LIVE Arcade titles will enable players to purchase items in “Fable 2” when the game launches later this year.
· “Ninja Gaiden II” (TECMO/Team NINJA). Tomonobu Itagaki debuted several tantalizing new Xbox LIVE features of “Ninja Gaiden II,” including the ability to capture and share videos of a player’s glorious battles via the Ninja Cinema feature and upload them to Xbox LIVE. “Ninja Gaiden II” launches worldwide this June.
· “Too Human” (Silicon Knights). Microsoft also showcased the epic action game from renowned Canadian developer Silicon Knights, “Too Human,” at a media event before today’s keynote address. In “Too Human,” players are treated to a nonstop barrage of action powered by the seamless integration of melee and firearms combat, plus deep role-playing elements fueled by breathtaking visuals enabled by the power of Xbox 360.

With online multiplayer gameplay, downloadable content and ways to stay in contact with a global community, these forthcoming blockbusters harness the power of Xbox LIVE to create truly innovative and exciting entertainment experiences. Each game also comes packed with Achievements, so Xbox LIVE members can help add to the more than 1 billion Achievements already unlocked on the service to date. And, as with the “Fable 2” pub games, downloadable content in Xbox LIVE Marketplace allows gamers the opportunity to customize and enhance their gameplay experiences. Since the service launched, Microsoft has seen more than $250 million in digital revenue from Xbox LIVE Marketplace through the purchase of more than 20 billion Microsoft Points.

Xbox LIVE members have been using a large portion of those Microsoft Points in Xbox LIVE Arcade, which is the premier destination for digitally distributed, high-definition original and classic games. With over 116 games to choose from on Xbox LIVE Arcade, everyone’s invited to get instantly immersed in the fun. Xbox LIVE Arcade is also home to the world’s most innovative independent developers, with more than 25 independent studios serving as the creative fuel behind the original games that represent more than a quarter of the Xbox LIVE Arcade library. The following titles represent a sample of games launching on Xbox LIVE Arcade in the near future from the world’s leading independent developers:

· “Braid” (Number None Inc.). Developed by Independent Games Festival Winner and experimental game designer Jonathan Blow, “Braid” is a platform experience that bends all the rules with the manipulation of time. “Braid” will launch this spring.
· “Castle Crashers” (The Behemoth). “Castle Crashers” is the second title currently in development by award-winning independent developer The Behemoth, creator of “Alien Hominid HD.” The role-playing game (RPG) adventure will let up to four players hack, slash and smash their way together through a visually stunning hand-drawn landscape. “Castle Crashes” launches this summer.
· “Defense Grid: The Awakening” (Hidden Path Entertainment LLC). “Defense Grid: The Awakening” is the definitive tower defense game experience designed specifically for Xbox LIVE Arcade and launches this summer.
· “Go! Go! Break Steady” (Little Boy Games). An Xbox LIVE Arcade exclusive, “Go! Go! Break Steady” is the debut title from independent developer Little Boy Games. The combination music and puzzle game combines break dancing with novel gameplay and launches this summer.
· “Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness” (Hothead Games). The first video game collaboration between Penny Arcade creators Mike “Gabe” Krahulik and Jerry “Tycho” Holkins and legendary game designer Ron Gilbert, “Penny Arcade Adventures” is an RPG-adventure game set in a highly stylized 1920s universe filled with bizarre characters, outrageous combat and adult humor. The first episode of the game launches this summer.

The_Scarab on

• Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Can't wait for Zero Punctuation GDC Awards.

LewieP on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    What time is this actually meant to start? I'm interested to see what they have to say.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    any sort of live feeds?

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    I see "Castle Crashers" but no release date.

Sheep on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited February 2008
    so where's the gears of war 2 stuff

bongi on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    any sort of live feeds?

Eurogamer has by far the best live feed.

Starts in 30 minutes or so.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    bongi wrote: »

http://www.eurogamer.net/GDC/Gears2screens/Locusthive.jpg

screenshot found, link'd for h-scroll

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    darleysam wrote: »

Times like this I love my firefox extensions. :lol:

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Just comes up black for me.

Also, I'm excited about this event. I want to see some Banjo 3 (fingers crossed).

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    darleysam wrote: »

Times like this I love my firefox extensions. :lol:

Dammit to hell. Probably not the most convincing URL either.
    And at least it wasn't rickroll.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    "Loudspeaker says can we turn off our electronic devices. No we cannot, loudspeaker man."

Hahaha.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Eurogamer are cool.

Ooo - James Bond theme!

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    There's also a 1up liveblog here.
    The_Scarab wrote:
    So, Gears of war 2, this november eh? thats news right?

Very awesome. Was obviously the worst-kept secret in years, but it's still fantastic to hear.
    The_Scarab wrote:

!!!

nicevg0.gif

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008

Will believe it when I see it.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    7/10 heh

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    sweet jesus over 20 billion MSbux redeemed

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Over $250,000,000 MS points... Hells Bells.

Over 1 billion achievements unlocked too, haha.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Eurogamer wrote:
    According to Eran Egozy from Harmonix, the record industry finds all this fascinating - over 3 million songs downloaded for Rock Band, he says.

That's a shitload of songs, and none of them are free. Good jorb, Harmonix! :D

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    FlyingmanFlyingman Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    What an epic circle jerk this is, eh? Levine's back again. I can't really hear what he's saying because it's too loud

Niiiiiiice.

Flyingman on
    PAsig-1.gif
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Gears 2 in November? Happy birthday to me! I'm so stoked to finally hear something official on the subject.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'll be interested to hear if there's any Banjo 3 news. Comments from Rare's latest letters page indicate the new game will be pretty different from past Banjos.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So Nintendo has Mario, Sony has Ratchet. Microsoft needs an awesome exclusive platformer, and I hope Banjo is as good as it should be.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    edited February 2008
    Sounds like we are going to finally get access to XNA built games.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    devolvedevolve Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Sounds like we are going to finally get access to XNA built games.

personally this is fucking huge, because hopefully it also opens other games up to user generated content.

devolve on
    detriot.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    1 billion achievements unlocked.

wow.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    devolvedevolve Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    1 billion achievements unlocked.

wow.

500 million are from Avatar alone.

devolve on
    detriot.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    What the smeg is PARSPOD?

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited February 2008

225444079_01b1fcb665.jpg

c'mon man

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    You have to admit, that acronym is rather unwieldy.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

225444079_01b1fcb665.jpg

c'mon man

Oooohhhh.

You kids today and your devil may care acronyms. Back in my day, we spelled out our words. Uphill both ways!

Uh... what was I saying...? Something about a lawn...zzzzzzzzzzz.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    FlyingmanFlyingman Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Eurogamer site down?
    Godamnit!

Flyingman on
    PAsig-1.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    It's the easiest to say acronym.

You could have had

PAOTRSPOD

RSPOD

or type it out in full.

Parspod can be spoken easily.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The problem is that PARSPOD makes the least sense out of the options. RSPOD or OTRSPOD are more conducive to being understood. Maybe PAA:OTRSPOD would be best?

The Deliverator on
  • Options
    Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    for those who can't stream at work (like me)
    http://kotaku.com/358723/liveblogging-microsofts-gdc-presser

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Or "The Penny Arcade game."

But that would make entirely too much sense.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Maybe pronounced otter-spod would work?

The UE3 stuff sounded sexy. Want trailers. And I want to play Jellycar.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    So Fable 2 will have a separate Live Arcade game released first in which you can gamble and win in-game Fable 2 money? Sounds interesting. Wonder if it will ever materialize?

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Or "The Penny Arcade game."

But that would make entirely too much sense.

And would go over the character limit for thread titles.

sheesh, you would almost think i didnt know what i was doing...

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    113619.jpg

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Fable 2, two player dynamic co-op woo!

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg