As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Solved]Looking for freeware file recovery software

enderwiggin13enderwiggin13 Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Like the subject says, I'm looking for freeware software that can be used to recover files from a damaged NTFS file system. My uncle's computer got stuck in a reboot loop - start system up, get to XP loading screen, reboot, repeat. I wasn't able to reinstall Windows because the MFT appears to be damaged (listed as an [unknown] file type in XP setup partition manager. I'm hesitant to try fixboot or fixmbr from the XP repair menu cause those have a chance of killing the data for good.

I hooked the hard drive up to my system, which of course can't read the drive, but I am able to find a broken partition and viable files using a trial of RecoverMyFiles (which sounds like a shitty program but actually isn't bad), but the trial only recovers small files...under 64k i think. Worst comes to worst, I can get him to shell out the $70 for the software, but I'd prefer to go the freeware route. Anyone know any good, freeware options? It can be Windows or Linux based. I'd prefer software that people have used before and know it works. I've googled around and there are plenty of options, but I want to be sure it works so I don't accidentally destroy all his data. TIA for the help.

P.S. I already got him to order a backup system so this doesn't happen again.

tl:dr
Looking for freeware Windows or Linux software to recover files from an NTFS drive with a damaged MFT.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
enderwiggin13 on

• Options
    JimJimBinksJimJimBinks Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I've always had good luck with Knoppix. You can download a bootable iso, burn it, stick it in the computer, and see if it reads the files on the bad drive.

JimJimBinks on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I've always had good luck with Knoppix. You can download a bootable iso, burn it, stick it in the computer, and see if it reads the files on the bad drive.

Sorry, forgot to mention that Knoppix could not read the drive when run from the system in question and my Ubuntu system was unable to read the drive either.

enderwiggin13 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TahnkaTahnka Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I have fixed the mbr a few times using the windows tools and have found that it works very reliably. I've never had it destroy the partition; which is something I rarely get to say about a Microsoft platform.

Another option; if the partition is not really screwed up, is to try reinstalling the OS on top of the current installation. If you launch the XP install, it will find the c:/windows install and ask you if you want to install on top of it. I normally hit Escape and delete the partition in order to wipe a disk; but if you want to recover data, simply reinstall (or even better, repair, if possible) right on top. The OS install will not wipe the partition clean; it just writes over whatever is in its way (basic OS stuff) and leaves everything else.

But of course...when I help other people with their home PC's (especially family)...I always start by saying; "Ok, you've already lost your disk. You have to agree that right now; it's gone. If we're lucky we can restore data. But the restore may also just blow everything even further away. So before we proceed, you must accept the fact that this data is likely already gone".

Tahnka on
  • Options
    Unearthly StewUnearthly Stew Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I had a similar issue not too long ago (my removable hard drive pretty much wiped itself clean.) I didn't find too much freeware, but there are a lot of sites that will let you download a demo to see what you can gain back. The one I eventually chose was pretty much garbage, the demo said I could recover a lot more than what the actual program allowed me to. I don't have my laptop with me right now, so I can't tell you what the program was called, but I'll let you know once I get back home, that way you will know which one not to get.

Unearthly Stew on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I tried to reinstall Windows, but it only gave the option for a clean install, no reinstall and no repair.

In the end I went with RecoverMyFiles and had him buy a copy. The recovered data was worth well more than that, so he was happy. The files are recovered and he's good to go now. Thanks for the suggestions.

We can mark this one as solved, thanks.

enderwiggin13 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.