As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hiphop with a message

starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So the militant poetry(?) thread a while back got me listening to a bunch of Immortal Technique I have neglected as of late. He is a rapper who is concerned with the lies the government tells us and the racism that abounds our society that people just don't see. I loves it.

I also really enjoy listening to a group called The Blue Scholars, who are concerned with the plight of the proletariat and the injustices America has committed against Native Americans. Loves it.

So I am wondering if you guys out there know of any more good "revolutionary" based hiphop, hopefully some modern underground (So public enemy need not apply). Thank you.

camo_sig2.png
starmanbrand on

• Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm not sure how to describe it, nor if it is what you want, but I really enjoy Atmosphere. It's sad and angry, and I don't think it's very political, but I really enjoy it.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Sci-Fi WasabiSci-Fi Wasabi Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Definitive Jux signs a lot of thoughtful intelligent MC's from the east coast. They are definitely worth checking out.

Sci-Fi Wasabi on
    sci+fi+wasabi.png
  • Options
    Bryse EayoBryse Eayo Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Bryse Eayo on
  • Options
    ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    K'naan oh wait beated.

So yeah. K'naan.

ruzkin on
    g4OlSIF.jpg
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Def Jux does have a lot of top rate talent. In particular I would recommend Aesop Rock (he has an entire album devoted to labor entitled, appropriately enough, "Labor Days"). Cannibal Ox is also on Def Jux and worth checking out.

The Roots are a bit more mainstream but still have a lot to say.

Dead Prez is highly political, although they do come off as very homophobic.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ado-sanAdo-san Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I think The Roots are great in this regard. I don't think they get overly-philosophical or overly-political but as LoveIsUnity said they have a lot to say and it's often quite poignant. Haven't listened to all their stuff though. Phrenology (album) is great.

Ado-san on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    K'naan- Perfect! Must look into. Hope I can find his stuff at the local record shop.

Def Jux- I like some of their guys, especially Aesop. But I refuse to accept that his lyrics -mean- anything considering of how much random shit he throws in, haha.

Atmosphere- I like a lot of Slug's collabs (If you haven't heard them you should check them out) and his more emo stuff. But lately all I have heard from them is party hiphop. Eh.

The Roots- They come up on Pandora, but I dont think I've really listened. I will try more since we have a couple good words in their favor.

Dead Prez- I dig him. While I don't support homophobia or inadvertent racism (IE the n-bomb), I can still get down to people who use it.

Anymore stuff like K'naan?

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Xenocide GeekXenocide Geek Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    yup, phrenology is amazing.

i most definitely recommend it. i bought it about two weeks ago... was listening to it every day until a few days ago.

it's very good.

Xenocide Geek on
    i wanted love, i needed love
    most of all, most of all
    someone said true love was dead
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • Options
    UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I definitely second (third?) Aesop Rock. Amazing lyricist. If the OP liked Immortal Technique (who is entertaining, but some of his politics are utterly retarded) then maybe he'd be into Brother Ali. Solid rapper, and beats you over the head with a 'political message', though not always stuff I necessarily agree with. Sage Francis is quite entertaining too, and some of his stuff covers interesting topics.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    Ado-sanAdo-san Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    yup, phrenology is amazing.

i most definitely recommend it. i bought it about two weeks ago... was listening to it every day until a few days ago.

it's very good.

Lol, I can't even count how many times I've played The Seed 2.0 and Water.

I'll put a stronger pitch in for Phrenology by The Roots - it basically gave me some faith in modern Hip Hop where there was none.

Ado-san on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    HikkinsHikkins Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Sounds like Dalek would be a perfect choice, especially their latter two albums: Abandoned Language, and Absence.

Hikkins on
  • Options
    contrabandcontraband Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    diverse doesn't have much in the way of a message but his album one a.m. is off the chaaaain

also my campus station played the song "chairman mao" by Bambu, which definitely carries a message, and while I haven't actually listened to the rest of his album, "we scream bars for the children," you can bet it has a positive message behind it

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • Options
    ZonkytonkmanZonkytonkman Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    goddamnit, when i read the title,i was going to come in here and recommend technique, blue scholars, the roots and atmosphere.

You fuckers have decimated my playlists.
    I'm also a fan of Blackalicious
    Common (Be)
    Sweatshop Union

Zonkytonkman on
  • Options
    QorzmQorzm Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Lupe Fiasco definitely has some really good songs that fall into what you're looking for.

I started to list a ton of songs, but I realized that isn't being too helpful. Probably every song of his but a few are definitely filled with a message of some sort. But from his latest CD, The Cool, here are some really obvious ones.

Intruder Alert
    Streets Are On Fire
    Little Weapon
    Dumb it Down
    Put You On The Game

Qorzm on
  • Options
    Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Lupe Fiasco is a good choice and if you are can stand his music even though he can be a total douche Kanye West.

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Not really underground, but Mos Def.

chuck steak on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    No Saul Williams?

for shame

I concur with The Roots.

Also, Fort Minors album "The Rising Tied" is excellent.

Probably Nine Inch Nails Year Zero Remixed too.

And Tay Zonday

LewieP on
  • Options
    anonywhoanonywho Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm not sure how to describe it, nor if it is what you want, but I really enjoy Atmosphere. It's sad and angry, and I don't think it's very political, but I really enjoy it.

"God's bathroom floor" by Atmosphere is a really good song.

A tribe called quest raps alot about problems among youth like date rape, and their beats are pretty damn good.

If you listened to Immortal Technique you probably listened to Diabolic, he raps alot with him.

Common is okay.

Talib Kweli has smart lyrics and good beats.

anonywho on
  • Options
    life3life3 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Jedi Mind Tricks, sir.

Philly styyyyyyyle!

life3 on
    HOW APPROPRIATE [URL="aim:goim?screenname=skullc0rp"]YOU[/URL] FIGHT LIKE A COW
  • Options
    UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    No Saul Williams?

for shame

I concur with The Roots.

And Tay Zonday

Fort Minor...ehh. Anything serious that on album took one came off as a pretty shallow broaching of whatnot. Just not all that good.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    No Saul Williams?

for shame

I concur with The Roots.

And Tay Zonday

Fort Minor...ehh. Anything serious that on album took one came off as a pretty shallow broaching of whatnot. Just not all that good.

Even Kenji?

Surely not Kenji?

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Brother Ali- Love the guy, although the only album I have of his is Shadows on the Sun. I heard a few tracks from Champion and was not crazy about them. But I don't know how any other song of his can compare against Picket Fence.

Dalek- I've heard a couple of their songs. I really like the production and flow. Will have to look more into them because I did not get the feeling of a message, but hopefully it is there because they, or he?, sound awesome.

I love Blackilicious, I dig common's older stuff but Be just was uninspired to me, and I have been trying to track down some Sweatshop Union after hearing them on pandora.

Lupe Fiasco- He has two albums out now? Which is better?

Diverse- Another one I must check out, I think I've heard a couple of his collabs with people I listen to regularly.

Saul Williams- Which of his stuff is best to check out? I remember him having such a catalog I never got into him for fear of it taking over my playlists.

JMT- I have Violent by Design, any of their other albums worth listening to?

Fort Minor- Have that CD, and I really love that song Kenji. If you don't like fort minor, try to listen to that song. It is badass on quite a few levels.

Alright, awesome guys. Now lets pump out some more like Knaan, i had that guys site open all yesterday just listenin to the 30 second samples of songs haha.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Saul Williams self titles second album is by far my favourite of his, and has an awesome colaboration with Zack De La Rocha (of RATM). He's only had three albums though (and a bunch of collaborations) and if you like that you should try and get it all.

I buy most of my music on CD and really struggled to get hold of his first two albums in the UK, they had relatively small releases here, if you can't find them, his most recent album (NiggyTardust) is $5 on his website iirc.

If you like Fort Minor you should check out Kenna, who was on the track 'Red To Black'.

LewieP on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    As already mentioned Sage Francis can be political. Likes to mess with your head too :D

P.O.S. is pretty politically fueled, plus just has lots of passion in his rhymes.

If you're just going for that underground sound I'd suggest:
    Any of Rhymesayers or Def Jux like someone else pointed out
    CunninLynguists (Southern Underground and Will Rap for Food especially)
    Sleep of Oldominion (probably one of the best and fastest lyricists out there in my opinion, he's been making up rhymes since before he learned to write)
    Smoke (of Oldominion)
    Grieves
    The Living Legends
    The Visionaries (my favorite feel good rap, plus they have one of the best DJ's out there not to mention emcees)
    Opio from Hieroglyphics has some political stuff plus is just amazing.
    Del from Hiero just came out with a badass CD yesterday too
    Swollen Members is some get you pumped up hip hop.
    Josh Martinez (who has a collabo with sleep called "The Chicharones" which is also fun to listen to)
    I could go on forever but that should get you started, I'm always down for hip hop discussion though.

Edit: Starmabrand, I wasn't a big fan of Brother Ali's Champion EP either (although I still liked it) but you need to check out "The Truth is Here" amazing producing and lyrics to boot.
    Aaaaand I'm going to jump on The Roots train, because they're just awesome.

Bah I keep thinking of stuff to add. On Lewie P's not, if you liked Fort Minor you HAVE to check out Styles of Beyond. 2000 Fold is an insanely good album if you can find it. I listened to fort minor purely for Styles of Beyond.

.... check out B Dolan he's on Strangefamous Records (Sage Francis' label) I guess you could say it's similar to Saul Williams in some ways?

Prospicience on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The Eventual Rise and Liberation of Niggy Tardust is actually free. You can pay $5 for a lossless version, but the 320 kbps MP3 version is free. I can't believe I forgot to mention Saul Williams in my previous post. The song that Lewie is talking about (the Zach de la Rocha track off of Saul William's self-title album) is entitled "Act III Scene 2 (Shakespeare)" and is phenomenal. Check that track out. I can't imagine anyone not liking that song.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Actually, it was free at launch, but they are now charging for it -
    We have removed the FREE option from our site as it was limited to the first 100,000 customers. For the highest quality download and a 33 page PDF of original album artwork and lyrics, please complete the form below and support The Inevitable Rise and Liberation of NiggyTardust!

LewieP on
  • Options
    KMFurDMKMFurDM Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    Gangstarr anyone?

KMFurDM on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    KMFurDM wrote: »
    Gangstarr anyone?

Yes yes, 1000 times yes. Oh and Guru from Gangstarr has his new album "Jazzmatazz" which is a must buy.

Prospicience on