As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Let's Play] American McGee's Alice-Nightmare Boss Rush-Final

HelloweenHelloween Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Games and Technology
American McGee's Alice Let's play

EDIT: The videos are now embedded. Click the spoiler for internets rape.

Who remembers this gem?

American McGee's Alice is a third-person puzzle/shooter computer game released on October 6, 2000, which takes in the Wonderland universe. It was developed by Rogue Entertainment and published, distributed and marketed by Electronic Arts. (Stolen from the wiki page)

Alice takes place after the well known Lewis Carroll stories about the girl and her adventures into Wonderland.
During one of her Wonderland adventures a fire starts in her home, which kills her parents.
She becomes catatonic and for the next ten years she is housed at an Asylum.
Eventually the white rabbit pulls her back into Wonderland. For Alice though, it’s not how she remembers it.

And so she goes…down the rabbit hole.

americanmcgeealiceboxgd0.gif

Gameplay

Alice features several platforming and puzzle solving sections throughout the game, keeping the player constantly thinking how to get to the next boss/level. The game also features several close combat moments with the various beings of Wonderland, these creatures can be disposed with an arsenal of "toys" that Alice finds along the way.

Characters

Heroes

Alice
alicesd1.jpg
Our heroine and player character of the game. This young lady comes equipped with an arsenal of many strange and wonderful weapons, the ability to survive in a world that’s out to kill her and dashed with a side order of insanity, what else could you want in a girl?
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

The Cheshire cat
theccatei6.jpg
This mad looking moggy is the best pal that an insane girl could have in the bizarre world of Wonderland. Offering advice and mad comments he brings a much needed helping hand to those looking for the red Queen.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

The White Rabbit
thewhiterabbitwl4.jpg
He may look like he’s suffering from a terrible hangover, but the rabbit is still in a hurry, beckoning Alice to follow him through all sorts of dangers to reach their goal? And what goal is that? Hmmm.
"Oh dear! Oh dear! I shall be late!"

Villains

Tweedledee and Tweedledum
tweedlesqi6.jpg
Ahhhh what fun these two are. These joyful men run the asylum of Wonderland under the command of the Mad Hatter. They let Alice know that she belongs with them…in the Asylum. Our young heroine lets them know what she thinks of that.
"We MUST have a bit of a fight, but I don't care about going on long," said Tweedledum.

The Mad Hatter
hatterwj1.jpg
A man who lets his presence known throughout Wonderland, all who meet him tell of his state of mind…it’s like clockwork. He has become obsessed with time and when not building freaky experiments using the inhabitants of that world, he is busy watching Alice’s every move through his mad house.
“No wonder you're late. Why, this watch is exactly two days slow.”

The Queen of Hearts
queenlulzav6.jpg
I keed i keed :p You'll have to wait and see!
She leads the forces against poor Alice with unspeakable fury; something makes the Queen very agitated about the girl and she is willing to stop her by any means necessary.
“Off with her head!”

Alice’s Toy Arsenal

Vorpal Blade
wep1vorpalbladeqb9.jpg
This nasty looking knife is Alice’s first ‘Toy’ she gains. Supposedly the weapon that defeated the Jabberwocky this weapon is able to inflict moderate damage to enemies with its main attack, a simple slice and with its secondary function Alice will throw the blade straight ahead.
"May I give you a slice?" Alice said, taking up the knife and looking from one Queen to the other.

Pack of Cards (willpower)
wep2cardsko1.jpg
A simple pack of cards? This deck can slice and dice those who are against our heroine. The first attack sends out a card that locks onto an enemy and does weak damage while draining a little of Alice’s willpower and the secondary function unleashes a flurry of cards directly ahead of her, again draining willpower.
Who cares for you?" said Alice, "You're nothing but a pack of cards!"

Croquet mallet (secondary function willpower)
wep3malletzo1.jpg
This toy is another melee weapon. Alice can swing this mallet like a club, with an attack that while weaker than the Vorpal Blade, has a much longer range. With its secondary function the mallet spews a ball which hurts whoever it touches, Alice included.
“…The mallets live flamingos…”

Jackbomb (willpower)
wep4jackbombdx1.jpg
This sinister toy sweetly plays music after being thrown…that is until it either explodes or spits out fire, depending on the function used. Both can inflict major damage to foes, but also to Alice…that dress looks mighty flammable.

Ice Wand (willpower)
wep5icewandlt9.jpg
This cute fairy wand look-alike is anything but. With chilling power it freezes any enemy it touches after a short burst, where they promptly go and die. The secondary option for the wand creates a wall of ice…a nice hiding place perhaps?

Jacks (willpower)
wep6jacksmz0.jpg
A set of jacks that any ninja would give his throwing stars for. These toys inflict major damage to everything in a concentrated area or with a secondary use, a more focused shot. One of the better weapons in the game these toys appear later in Alice’s adventure.

Demon Dice (willpower ¼, ½, ¾)
wep7demonicdicezo5.jpg
These dice from hell can summon up a monster which will either help or hinder Alice, their not very loyal it seems. The only weapon that needs powering up to get its full usage out of it, it has three levels of demon that can appear. The term gambling with the Devil comes to mind.

Jabberwocky Eye Staff (willpower drains while firing)
wep8jabberwockseyestaffsq9.jpg
The only weapon that could kill the Jabberwocky now is according the residents of Wonderland, the eye staff. But it’s broken into pieces…looks like Alice has some collecting to do.

The Blunderbuss (all willpower)
wep9blunderpussfy7.jpg
Kaboom! This drains all of Alice’s willpower but wow, you don’t want to be on the receiving end of this.

Watch
wep10watchao6.jpg
This skull fashioned accessory gives Alice the ability to freeze time for anyone but her...but only for a brief period. With a recharge time of five minutes, make sure it is used wisely…or not at all.

Wonderland
alicemapio7.jpg

What has happened to it? Alice must find the root cause of the change that has become it…and her.

Videos
This Lets play will be done in sections, thankfully the game is broken into levels nice and easy for us to go through.
The recordings will be done by me, Helloween, and Naxen, so hopefully if you hate one of our British voices there’s always the other to look forward to. :P
We plan to use the normal setting although if there’s demand for it after the FIRST video we can go harder.
This game doesn’t have much in the way of exploring so it’s all fairly straightforward to do.
With regards to the videos my recordings may be quiet on game volume, for the moment I can’t do much about it for now, but hopefully will be fixed ASAP, with any luck you wont even notice…ill just have to deafen myself for you guys. D:

I made this thread with the permission of a moderator, if you wish to do a let’s play then you must do the same.

Without any more rambling here are the Videos:

And now for the Nightmare setting Boss 'rush' videos:

Piccys!
alicewallpaperedityc5.jpg
wallpaperalice081024yr8.jpg
wallpaperalice04lj9.jpg

My Desktop this one :D
wallpaperalice101024ox2.jpg
wallpaperalice05um0.jpg
illoalicevsgl1.jpg
Flying on the wings of steam (Alice soundtrack song-Remix. A saying sorry gift :), brilliant music-Bonus Video
How the fuck does it fly? Bonus video

See all of my Let's Plays Here:
Youtube Channel!
Helloween on

• darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I played this for a bit a few years ago, really liked the style and setting for it, but I didn't get on with the game itself too well. Just waiting for the video to buffer a bit at the moment, and I'll say more when I'm done watching!

edit: right, I'm watching through the first one now. It sounds like you're struggling to think of what to say, which makes sense because it's just you trying to run a commentary over the game on your own, and that's a hard thing to do on your own. Are you and Naxen going to be doing any joint commentary, or will it just be either you or him? Having someone else in the room talking and providing some conversation would likely brighten things up a whole lot.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I absolutely loved this game, and I never did get to the end so I'll definitely be watching this. Bravo!

EDIT: Just watched the first video, well done! The game was a tiny bit quiet in parts, but I managed to hear it and other than that thought it was great.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • HelloweenHelloween Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    darleysam wrote: »
    I played this for a bit a few years ago, really liked the style and setting for it, but I didn't get on with the game itself too well. Just waiting for the video to buffer a bit at the moment, and I'll say more when I'm done watching!

edit: right, I'm watching through the first one now. It sounds like you're struggling to think of what to say, which makes sense because it's just you trying to run a commentary over the game on your own, and that's a hard thing to do on your own. Are you and Naxen going to be doing any joint commentary, or will it just be either you or him? Having someone else in the room talking and providing some conversation would likely brighten things up a whole lot.

Yeah thats a fair point, ill try and think of somthing, but at the moment it's hard enough just trying to record the bastard with semi-decent sound.
    Thanks for the comment though :D

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    No worries, good luck with it and I'll be checking back in to see how it goes.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Screaming RavenScreaming Raven Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    This game was amazing in it's time I'm glad someones doing a let's play on it.

Screaming Raven on
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Man, this game was awesome. The croquet mallet was almost always my weapon of choice.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Chris WChris W Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Certainly looks badass, might have to give it a shot.

Chris W on
    edited March 2008
    Man, this game was awesome. The croquet mallet was almost always my weapon of choice.

Yeah thats the one i used for most of it...till i got the Jacks anyway, and you gotta love the ice wand :p

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Enjoyed the first video but it was pretty dark. It probably looks fine on the actual screen you're using but it's hard to see the world/level around you on youtube. Any chance you can pump up the gamma a bit?

Aridhol on
    edited March 2008
    Aridhol wrote: »
    Enjoyed the first video but it was pretty dark. It probably looks fine on the actual screen you're using but it's hard to see the world/level around you on youtube. Any chance you can pump up the gamma a bit?

Yeah sure ill give that a try for the next one, bare in mind though that the game is fairly dark anyway, it looks pretty much like that on my screen.

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Someone let me have their copy of this game, and I've made it as far as the Pale Castle(?). I can't wait to see how it all ends.

Every journey begins with a first step. Trite but true, even here.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    When is a croquet mallet a billy club? I'll tell you. Whenever you want it to be.

Mustachio Jones on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Still the only game I've bought the soundtrack to, and with good reason.

Those people who talk about a relaxing cup never had real tea. It's like a shot of adrenalin straight to the heart.

Xagarath on
    edited March 2008
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Those people who talk about a relaxing cup never had real tea. It's like a shot of adrenalin straight to the heart.

Thats so true, its how you weed out the fake Brits.

one proper tea and it means no sleep for 2 weeks, who needs red bull...pfft

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I love this game. The setting, dialogue and atmosphere are all fantastic. It doesn't have amazing gameplay, but the level design is good enough to make up for it.

And it has one of the best soundtracks to ever appear in a videogame. I don't replay games very often, but this one I can keep going back to.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    My girlfriends brother did alot of the original artwork for the game and he based Alice off of her.

Kinda neat to fuck Alice.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I read that post completely backwards and was like O_o.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    My girlfriends brother did alot of the original artwork for the game and he based Alice off of her.

I am tempted to ask for some variety of proof.
    Hmm.

Xagarath on
  • RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I had this game and lost it. Been looking to buy it somewhere for a cheap price and can't find it. I support this thread! Just gotta get it now... wish it were on Steam on Gametap. =\

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Xagarath wrote: »

I am tempted to ask for some variety of proof.
    Hmm.

We have a child together. That is proof enough I've had sex at least once.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm going to suggest using Dailymotion for you, it has a lot better quality and has a limit of 20 min and 150 mb. http://www.dailymotion.com

Other alternatives include Vimeo, Google video and possibly Blip.tv.

Schide on
    edited March 2008
    Ryadic wrote: »
    I had this game and lost it. Been looking to buy it somewhere for a cheap price and can't find it. I support this thread! Just gotta get it now... wish it were on Steam on Gametap. =\

Having a quick scan around the UK based sellers...cheapest it seems is either a skanky sold out software copy on ebay for like 6p...and 3 quid postage, or £30-£20 on play and amazon...crazy.

EDIT: Cool schide ill check those out, see which works best.

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Helloween wrote: »
    Aridhol wrote: »

Yeah sure ill give that a try for the next one, bare in mind though that the game is fairly dark anyway, it looks pretty much like that on my screen.

For the record, the brightness looked just fine to me, about how I remember the original game looking.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Rodent242Rodent242 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Wonderful game, glad to see it's being picked up for a Let's Play. Now all you need to do is play this back to back with Sanatarium and Vampire: Bloodlines and if you weren't already, you'll be kneedeep in psychosis.

Rodent242 on
    LIVE: Nitzer 24 , CO: @Rodent, Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Rodent242/
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The ending movie put a big ol' dopey smile on my face.

emnmnme on
    edited March 2008
    Update comming soon, now with two people talking rubbish, yay!

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Rodent242 wrote: »
    Wonderful game, glad to see it's being picked up for a Let's Play. Now all you need to do is play this back to back with Sanatarium and Vampire: Bloodlines and if you weren't already, you'll be kneedeep in psychosis.
    I don't know Sanatarium, but how the hell is Bloodlines going to drive anyone insane (if you don't count the bugs)?

I mean, Eternal Darkness probably has a better chance of scaring the wits out of someone.

WotanAnubis on
    edited March 2008
    New video!
    stage 2 now with duel commentary

ill post google video link soon =)

EDIT:

Google videos
    Intro and stage 1
    Stage 2

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
    edited March 2008
    Part 3 up hopefully some time this morning. ill update this post and the OP with the new videos
    Stage 3 part 1
    Stage 3 part 2

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Your links for stage 3 have an extra http// in them.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
    edited March 2008
    Rakai wrote: »
    Your links for stage 3 have an extra http// in them.

Thanks. I had to run to Uni this morning, must of missed that in the rush.

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • McAllenMcAllen Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Moar entetaining aliss vidios plz

McAllen on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Damn, the atmosphere for this game looks amazing.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • schmadsschmads Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm liking this quite a lot. I remember getting stuck at some point with a lot of ants and never picking it up again, so I look forward to seeing the rest. Fun, thanks!

schmads on
    Battle.net/SC2: Kwisatz.868 | Steam/XBL/PSN/Gamecenter: schmads | BattleTag/D3: Schmads#1144 | Hero Academy & * With Friends: FallenKwisatz | 3DS: 4356-0128-9671
  • SepahSepah Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Y'know, when I beat this game, one moment really made it stand out for me.

Right before you fight the Queen of Hearts... well, you know what I'm talking about.

I've never faced a boss with more righteous fury and vengeful wrath stoking my will for its destruction.

Sepah on
    edited March 2008
    Hey guys sorry for the lack of updates, you know being easter and all. Hopefully normal service will resume around tuesday. I hope anyway :p
    Sepah wrote: »
    Y'know, when I beat this game, one moment really made it stand out for me.

Right before you fight the Queen of Hearts... well, you know what I'm talking about.

I've never faced a boss with more righteous fury and vengeful wrath stoking my will for its destruction.

Yeah i know what you mean, its dead freaky and kinda like explains whats going on, if you didn't already understand by that point. "Off with her head!"

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    One part of the game that I remember quite vividly is the Mad Hatter's Castle/Fortress/Gigantic Fucking Torture Chamber.
    The March Hare and the Dormouse in particular were utterly horrific. It made my eyes water from the sheer horror of it, but ultimately gave me great motivation to murder the Mad Hatter.

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • blackpyrblackpyr is a dandy warhol Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Rodent242 wrote: »
    I don't know Sanatarium, but how the hell is Bloodlines going to drive anyone insane (if you don't count the bugs)?

I mean, Eternal Darkness probably has a better chance of scaring the wits out of someone.

A malkavian playthrough is the perfect mix of insight and insanity... It's actually rather clever, and...lighted heartedly disturbing. I never actually finished McGee's Alice despite loving Lewis Carroll . Must go to wonderland now.

blackpyr on
    cheAndy.jpg
    edited March 2008
    Hello!

Let's Play part 4-Stage 5 and 6 is now up

Just me this video folks, let me know what you think.

Enjoy!
    google vid stage 5 and 6

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • SmokeScreenSmokeScreen Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I played the the hell out of this game when it came out. It and Clive Barker's Undying were my two favorite pc horror games that came out of that era. I really wish they would go ahead with the oft delayed possibly canceled American McGee's Oz game that was supposed to come out like five years ago. The Todd McFarline action figures based on the character designs were awsome.

SmokeScreen on