As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Battlefield: Bad Company - The console only Battlefield game! Out now.

• Options
    devolvedevolve Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    so the new comic is up about the purchasing of weapons in bad company. It's a shame really because I thought tycho and gabe would've done a bit more research before running with it. I mean it's all over the web in regards to the explanation they give.

devolve on
    detriot.png
  • Options
    Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    What is the explanation they give?

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I will also say that RPGs don't seem to have a lot of splash damage. I've seen my brother fire them at the feet of guys, hit within a meter or so, and they walk away apparently unscathed. Similarly, they seem piss-weak against tanks, but I'm seeing there are other anti-tank options, so balance will probably work itself out.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    devolve wrote: »
    so the new comic is up about the purchasing of weapons in bad company. It's a shame really because I thought tycho and gabe would've done a bit more research before running with it. I mean it's all over the web in regards to the explanation they give.

The explanation doesn't really change the situation much, or at all. You can either purchase these weapons individually on the Marketplace, or you can get them for "free" as they are bundled in the deluxe version of the game. Either way, players who are willing to spend more money get a larger arsenal of weapons than other players.

I don't see how anyone could like where this is going. Its bad enough that people are abusing exploits and using other shady tactics to get an advantage in games. Now all they have to do is pony up some extra cash? Sure, if you want to keep up, you can buy the weapons too, but then you'd be supporting a system that really shouldn't be there in the first place.

Dirty on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Except the weapons you can buy are balanced.

Do I like it? No. I hope it doesn't work out for EA and it's the only time we have to deal with it. But is it the end of the world? No. They're not selling anything that will break or unbalance the game in favour of those who are willing to pay more.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008

Yea but remember the Hellgate comic, remember when Bill Roper said that paying players will never be better then non subby's? Have you seen their newest patch, quite a few things that would make that comic ring true and make Roper look like a big fat liar.

tl;dr version: Dev's say what make the people happy.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm sorry, but after playing two matches last night, I can only conclude that this game will be complete and utter shit. Everything about it aside from the destructible environments feels sloppy as hell.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    chasm wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but after playing two matches last night, I can only conclude that this game will be complete and utter shit. Everything about it aside from the destructible environments feels sloppy as hell.

Firstly, just as well it's a beta then.

Secondly, what? I had fun with it. Lots of fun, in fact.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Played a couple games last night. Seems to be pretty fun. The destructible environments is entertaining.... really useful for making new paths to the Gold or for cleaning out sniper nests. Couple things:

1) Everyones either Assault, Sniper or Shotgun. That means theres no fucking medics. I have deliberately suicided more times in 5 games than I have in the entirety of CoD4. This is not a good thing.
    2) No ability to call medics. Seriously, just rip off TF2.
    3) Those car alarms are fucking annoying.
    4) Its already been said, but its almost impossible to tell enemy from friendly. I dunno what the problem is, but its fucking horrendous. This more than anything else makes me not want to buy the game.
    5) No communication. I know you can only talk to your squad, but a) I have no idea who the fuck my squad is b) no one fucking talks anyways.

I'll wait until later beta versions before I make my final decision, but unless they change the communication and make it easier to distinguish between friend or foe, this game won't go far.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    devolvedevolve Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Yea but remember the Hellgate comic, remember when Bill Roper said that paying players will never be better then non subby's? Have you seen their newest patch, quite a few things that would make that comic ring true and make Roper look like a big fat liar.

tl;dr version: Dev's say what make the people happy.

Well, I stopped caring about hellgate the moment the pay/not play thing came out and I stopped caring about my pc as a gaming rig.

This micropayment shit isn't black and white. on one day, I feel confident the market will dictate the success of the philosophy, and that it will fail. On the other hand, I worry that the market is actually paying for this kind of shit, and it will succeed. And can I really complain if the model works and it's what people are willing to do?

EA is pushing this stuff really, really hard, but the fact that the battlefield stuff is far more loosened than their previous iterations of the model makes me think that yes, it's not working the way they wanted it to, and eventually it'll even itself out.

devolve on
    detriot.png
  • Options
    UnKnown SoldierUnKnown Soldier Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Kris_xK wrote: »
    Played a couple games last night. Seems to be pretty fun. The destructible environments is entertaining.... really useful for making new paths to the Gold or for cleaning out sniper nests. Couple things:

1) Everyones either Assault, Sniper or Shotgun. That means theres no fucking medics.
    4) Its already been said, but its almost impossible to tell enemy from friendly.
    5) No communication. I know you can only talk to your squad, but a) I have no idea who the fuck my squad is b) no one fucking talks anyways.

I'll wait until later beta versions before I make my final decision, but unless they change the communication and make it easier to distinguish between friend or foe, this game won't go far.

1. The support class is the medic? I get healed by them all the time?

4. Am I the only one who see's an enemy as having a GIANT RED name tag over them that stays for the entire time they are alive once they have been spotted? Am I also the only one who gets a big white X whenever I put my crosshair over friendlies? Am I also the only one who gets a big giant red dot whenever I place my crosshair over enemies? or the fact that when you put your crosshair over an enemy your player automatically calls out " Hey I got a "so and so" enemy RIGHT BEHIND YOU!" There is about 5000 different ways to tell friend from foe.

5. I agree this part is pretty lame.

a) Except for you not being able to tell who your squad is, which is right on the pause menu. Seriously its like your not trying.

b) But it doesnt matter anyways because after the beta and you can play with your friends it wont matter.

UnKnown Soldier on
  • Options
    DarnodDarnod Registered User new member
    edited March 2008
    Regicid3 wrote: »
    Raslin wrote: »
    I doubt I'm the only one who constantly gets emails from EA about the battlefield series, but still

send an email to battlefieldbeta@ea.com

supposedly giving out keys if you mail them asking for one

Email sent.

Did you get a key?

Darnod on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Also, if you're support, you get automatically called and a blinking cross on your mini-map anytime anyone around you is wounded.

At least, I'm pretty sure it's automatic.

Damaged vehicles also seem to show up on the map as well with a wrench on them, so you can multi-tool their armor back.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Kris_xK wrote: »

1) Everyones either Assault, Sniper or Shotgun. That means theres no fucking medics.
    4) Its already been said, but its almost impossible to tell enemy from friendly.

1. The support class is the medic? I get healed by them all the time?

4. Am I the only one who see's an enemy as having a GIANT RED name tag over them that stays for the entire time they are alive once they have been spotted? Am I also the only one who gets a big white X whenever I put my crosshair over friendlies? Am I also the only one who gets a big giant red dot whenever I place my crosshair over enemies? or the fact that when you put your crosshair over an enemy your player automatically calls out " Hey I got a "so and so" enemy RIGHT BEHIND YOU!" There is about 5000 different ways to tell friend from foe.

5. I agree this part is pretty lame.

a) Except for you not being able to tell who your squad is, which is right on the pause menu. Seriously its like your not trying.

b) But it doesnt matter anyways because after the beta and you can play with your friends it wont matter.

1) Here's your gold star. You may notice that I say the vast majority of players are using the Assault, Shotgun or Sniper roles. Hence no Support. You may have been healed a lot, I didnt get one.
    4) Oh I saw them. I also saw how they dont show until you're right over a fucking enemy. Not having your reticle near them, but fucking right on them. That is not helpful. Having distinctive uniforms would help. But waiting for me to actually line up some schmuck before you tell me hes friendly is fucking annoying. And as for the "Hes right behind you", thats not helpful. Thats like calling out in CoD4 "Hey Guy, theres a guy to your right!"... who the fuck are you talking about?
    5) a) Really? Huh. Ooops. b) True.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    DarnodDarnod Registered User new member
    edited March 2008
    Gamestop is having a "first 5000 to preorder get a beta key" thing that started yesterday. I preordered so hopefully I'm one of those 5000 and I'll have a key within the next day or so.

Darnod on
  • Options
    ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

I enjoyed my time in the game last night, but the more I play it the more I'm on the fence. Aiming seems sloppy, and the bullets coming out of my gun seemed to take forever to hit a guy about 5 feet from me. I hope they give me more feedback to let me know if I'm hitting the guy, cause right now I just spray and pray until either he drops or I do. I have no idea if I'm actually hitting him.

I'll also chip in and say I hate the friend-vs-foe distinction problems. Too hard to discern the difference.

I think guys with their name in green are in your squad. Guys with their name in blue are on your team, just not on your squad.

I continue to believe that griefing will be a big problem.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm not a big console multiplayer FPS person, never played the original Modern Combat, but I have to say I've really enjoyed my time with this. The explosions, sounds, and general mayhem are all perfect. Being able to knock down a fence or wall in your way makes the game so much fun.
    I had plenty of wall bursting "OH YEAH" moments trying to save the gold cache.

Love the stationary AA guns on Oasis as well. They wreck havoc and actually WORK as an AA as opposed to the PC Battlefield games which have always had a hard time balancing air superiority and good anti-air.

I read a lot of posts against this game from here and SA and really can't level with them. I never had any problems distinguishing enemies, hitting and killing them, or with how movement felt and such. But maybe that's just because I've been playing FPSes for a long time. I'll admit at first I was overwhelmed, and things seemed almost too hectic. But I stuck to it, figure out the maps and the interface, and it all kind of meshed to create a pretty awesome console gaming experience.

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    fkn creepfkn creep Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    darleysam wrote: »

Firstly, just as well it's a beta then.

Secondly, what? I had fun with it. Lots of fun, in fact.

Yeah, what? This was a good gaming experience. Sure it felt a bit like a console Battlefield and obviously there's some stuff to work out like the lag issues... but I had a lot of fun also. The only time I had a hard time distinguishing enemies was when one was right up in my face when I first started playing. Did you guys not notice your buddies are blue or green? It's pretty self-evident given you SPAWN NEXT TO THEM.

fkn creep on
    t1g3rstyl3.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I was playing last night (based in the UK, too) and didn't notice any major lag issues. I found this even more impressive considering it was the first day of the beta, when you'd normally expect some kind of colossal bugs to start cropping up as people played.

And I was pleasantly surprised to find it playing like a console Battlefield. I'm now really interested in the singleplayer campaign which is what they seemed to have been advertising it with. To have a solid Battlefield multiplayer on there as well? Cool.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    narv107narv107 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Darnod wrote: »
    Raslin wrote: »
    I doubt I'm the only one who constantly gets emails from EA about the battlefield series, but still

send an email to battlefieldbeta@ea.com

supposedly giving out keys if you mail them asking for one

Email sent.

Did you get a key?

I would also like to know this

narv107 on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I think weve seen the future, and its where a disc will cost you 10-20$ and then to unlock the game with a key its 30-50$. Thus reaping in all that money from the used market and rentals.Theill tote it as if you ever break your disc its only 10-20$ to replace it. If theres a disc at all. Even so discs will have high fail rates.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    So somebody in here said that they got trapped behind a building while running from a tank, so they just blew up the wall and ran inside . . .

Seriously, I cannot WAIT for the time when destructible buildings become something that is expected in all games. Holy shit.

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    DebaserZbsDebaserZbs Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Just send a "pwetty pwease" message to the Battlefield Beta email. Crossing my fingers for a response. How many persons here have actually received a key from the address?

DebaserZbs on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    So somebody in here said that they got trapped behind a building while running from a tank, so they just blew up the wall and ran inside . . .

Seriously, I cannot WAIT for the time when destructible buildings become something that is expected in all games. Holy shit.

I've done that kind of thing. I was in the attic of a building, and thought it'd make a nice spot to hide out, but there wasn't anywhere to fire out of.
    So I swapped to the grenade launcher on my rifle, and blew out a wall. Subtle? No. Fun? Oh yes.

Then watching my brother go on a shotgun charge in a race to try and disarm an explosive charge, blasting down doors and fences on his way. Good times.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    fkn creepfkn creep Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Busting through walls like the Kool-Aid man was the coolest part of the experience for me, overall, I think. That should definitely be standard in FPS gameplay from now on. Doors are also destructible so there's no more "kill 1000 bloodthirsty heathens but don't open that door" nonsense.

fkn creep on
    t1g3rstyl3.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    fkn creep wrote: »
    Busting through walls like the Kool-Aid man was the coolest part of the experience for me, overall, I think. That should definitely be standard in FPS gameplay from now on. Doors are also destructible so there's no more "kill 1000 bloodthirsty heathens but don't open that door" nonsense.

It may now be mandatory to start running up to fences and doors with a shotgun in hand, loosing off a shot, then exclaiming "OHH YEAHHH!" as I dart through.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    I enjoy being able to knife a door down with two or so slashes. Fences usually go down in one.

Dunno if a wall will break it though.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    Man, I just remembered something else awesome that happened last night. I wish this thing had saved films.

I called in a Laser-guided missle to take out a tank(one of the many last night) and as I was guiding it down, a helicopter flew right into it's path and got taken out. Never thought I'd be able to pull that off.

Legacy on
  • Options
    MemnoMemno Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Speaking of the laser guided missile, whats the best way to alter it's course? I had some times where I could control it perfectly but today I've had no luck with getting it to move.

Memno on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Memno wrote: »
    Speaking of the laser guided missile, whats the best way to alter it's course? I had some times where I could control it perfectly but today I've had no luck with getting it to move.

I use both control sticks to move it around. Seems to work for me at least. I'm not sure how the official way to do it is though.

Legacy on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    this game has some serious balance issues, but with a little work it could be very awesome. Oh btw best round ever 24 kills 0 deaths.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    this game has some serious balance issues, but with a little work it could be very awesome. Oh btw best round ever 24 kills 0 deaths.

Shh.

G&T hate it when people are good at games.

I still haven't received an email . . . I really hope I do. I sucked up and everything.

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Major Nelson has 100 codes to give away:

http://majornelson.com/archive/2008/03/26/how-you-can-get-a-battlefield-bad-company-beta-code.aspx

Although he's already gotten over 3000 emails so the chances of getting a code this way are probably pretty slim. :|

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I had some awesome rounds on the desert map earlier, where the teams actually worked as teams and it was challenging. We had pushed them back all the way as the assault team, and they actually put up an amazing defense that whittled our reinforcements down to almost zero before we took it. They had three people in an APC and were just tearing everyone up. I managed to win in the end by repairing it when they bailed out and using it against them, destroying the final crate with it.

Of course, that wasn't the best thing about that round. I walked out into this long stretch of straight road in the final part of the city, and this guy with a humvee was on the other end. We played a game of chicken, while I was trying to kill him with my light machine gun as he raced towards me. His bumper was about eight to five feet before me when I managed to kill him and the humvee came to a rolling stop at my feet. So made of win.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I just sent Major Nelson an email . . . let us hope for the best!

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I didn't get to play this last night, and am sad for it. I now feel I have to make time for it tonight instead.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited March 2008
    'open' beta was a bit of a misnomer here wasn't it

bongi on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    bongi wrote: »

Eh, it's not the only one. Any beta I've been involved in has been called 'open', and they've all been entrance under certain conditions.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    KogareruKogareru Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    darleysam wrote: »
    bongi wrote: »

Eh, it's not the only one. Any beta I've been involved in has been called 'open', and they've all been entrance under certain conditions.

Public probably would have been a better thing to call it. Really though when it first came out all you had to do was answer 3 questions and you recieved a beta key right on the website.. That's about as open as they come in my experience.

Kogareru on
    GW2: mKoga-Ultra
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    funny how it doesn't seem so open. . . especially when they call it a closed beta.

am I the only one who isn't up in arms about the whole "charge you for guns" none of them seem any better at all than the ones you get for free. It's just like, they're doing it so that you can use your favorite gun or whatever.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN