As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dead Fantasy II - Monty Oum delivers again

DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Games and Technology
Couldn't find a thread for it, totally worthwhile. You do NOT have to be fans of the works used in these FAN-MADE videos, or even familiar with the characters to enjoy them.

Dude made Haloid -

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/57998.html

then started this Dead Fantasy series

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/115884.html

#2 just came out

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/193489.html

Spoilers will follow the OP.

Also go check out another user created amazing video - Kings of Power 4 Billion% (guy who made Pirate Baby's Cabana Street Fight 2006)

Deusfaux on

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I just saw this on Kotaku. Is it just me or does the faces look kinda weird?

Peewi on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I thought this was about necrophilia.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    KagnarosKagnaros Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Peewi wrote: »

The whole thing looks weird...

Kagnaros on
    fss.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Shabutie wrote: »
    Peewi wrote: »

The whole thing looks weird...

Yeah, but that's not what I meant. It looks like he's a great animator, but that some of the models are somewhat low quality.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    he says he'll throw up an HD version soon or something.

As far as I understand it, he creates his models based on material he gathers from numerous other sources

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm not sure my brain can properly process the cool action contrasted with the fucking retarded fanfic aspect. Awesome meets Shittastic, does not compute.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    is it really that bad though?

there's uh.. hardly any 'fic'tion -like, story- there anyways

Or can you just not stand these characters being in the same reality?

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I think the thing is that it's like looking into the inside of some 13 year old's brain as he writes an action scene for his crossover fanfic. This is what he sees.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    well really, who hasn't imagined various characters and heroes from comics/movies/videogames fighting each other.

I think it only really crosses into stupid fanfic hell when they're not doing something as "plain" as fighting.

Like going to school together or... romancing each other at the end of Haloid.

that was fanfic hell

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    While I appreciate the technical quality and effort put into making this, I'm going to have with agree with SPI on this one. I mean, there's suspension of disbelief, and then there's what happens in this video. I know it's all supposed to look badass and kickass but all it does is make me feel like a dumbass for wasting my time on it. It just comes across as being way, way too over the top and ridiculous. Clearly we are led to believe that they are all completely invulnerable godlike beings who are just doing this for fun and afterwards will go have a drunken orgy while feasting on ambrosia in the heavens, or something. It's just supreme fanwankery with no sense of, well, anything even remotely coherent.

Schide on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    the only other thing I'll say on that, is that the games and realities in which these characters come from are all also way over the top and not always terribly coherent

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Hey, I'm not saying this isn't cool, because it is. It however exists in a quantum state where it's simultaneously really awesome and the dumbest thing ever made.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Hey, I'm not saying this isn't cool, because it is. It however exists in a quantum state where it's simultaneously really awesome and the dumbest thing ever made.

But that describes so many great things. Like Zombie movies, Crystal Castles, and Don Hertzfeldt, and Paul Robertson, and Doctor Who.

I have to say, I liked it, mostly. But
    When Rinoa shows up with a gunblade and angel wings, that was pushing it

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Page- wrote: »

But that describes so many great things. Like Zombie movies, Crystal Castles, and Don Hertzfeldt, and Paul Robertson, and Doctor Who.

I have to say, I liked it, mostly. But
    When Rinoa shows up with a gunblade and angel wings, that was pushing it
    What?! Did you just compare this to Doctor Who? I'm thoroughly offended, you uncouth swine!

-SPI- on
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Put me in the retarded category.

I mean punches and kicks and explosions and shit are cool, but barbies running down buildings and exploding lava projectiles with time freezing is sort of... lame.

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I just wish the bastard would finish his damn ROAD series.

(I'm a sucker for cheap stories.)

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    DoronronDoronron Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    There are two problems with this guy's stuff:

1) There is no context in which these fights are set. Why is it happening? What's the point? That just makes everything that occurs in the videos so over the top.

2) For all the creative effort put into the choreography of the fight, he cops out and uses someone else's characters. I don't know the DoA or Final Fantasy series well enough to see what reason those specific characters were chosen, but the Halo/Metroid thing's only reason is Master Chief lives in space, and so does Samus (and we think MC might be a girl!). Outside of that?

Doronron on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Actually, its Spartan 457 from DOA4, not Master Chief.

This is pure fan-made fan-service while his other stuff ROAD and his John Woo tribute have some context and some original characters. Shitty story though.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Doronron wrote: »
    There are two problems with this guy's stuff:

1) There is no context in which these fights are set. Why is it happening? What's the point? That just makes everything that occurs in the videos so over the top.
    You answered your own question.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    DoronronDoronron Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I didn't answer my own question. Acrobatics for acrobatics' sake makes for shitty, stupid stuff. The Matrix had fight scenes just like this, but they work because most of them involve saving Morpheus or escaping Agent Smith the audience has something invested in the characters. Stuff like this hits the mechanics of a fight scene, but misses the significance of the fights it's emulating entirely.

Doronron on
  • Options
    omega71omega71 Too old for a title, too ornery to care. Sacramento, CaliRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Man, I couldn't finish watching that without getting seriously nauseous.

It was very well done, but I got some horrible motion sickness thing off of that.

omega71 on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I liked the first one more.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The problem with God Hand...

Khavall on
  • Options
    sabyulsabyul Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Haha, it's a good time. If you know DOA really well you can see the male's moves from DOA being done by the FF girls to round out their fistfighting repertoire. I especially liked Tifa doing Brad Wong's 4P+K to crush Hitomi's attacks. Also, a little bit of Dante styled gunslinging from Yuna never hurt anyone.

sabyul on
    http://www.frame-advantage.com - Specializing in high quality fighting game video content
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Heh, I got to see this at Anime Boston just before the Luv and Response/Pillows performance, and before it was released to everyone else(at least, I believe that is what the con staff said). It was quite awesome when
    Angel-winged Rinoa froze the lava lake, drew what I assume was Squall's borrowed gunblade and some magical glowy shield-weapon thing, and then, just as she was about to enter the fight, fucking Kairi from Kingdom Hearts jumps in front of her to help while dual-wielding keyblades! Holy shit, dogg. Holy. Shit.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I didn't answer my own question. Acrobatics for acrobatics' sake makes for shitty, stupid stuff. The Matrix had fight scenes just like this, but they work because most of them involve saving Morpheus or escaping Agent Smith the audience has something invested in the characters. Stuff like this hits the mechanics of a fight scene, but misses the significance of the fights it's emulating entirely.

So what you're saying is; you wouldn't enjoy an over the top action scene if you didn't have some sort of emotional investment in the characters?

AJR on
    Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    FrabbaFrabba Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Khavall wrote: »
    The problem with God Hand...

I don't know why I laughed a hard as I did at this :lol:.

Frabba on
    I'm big in Internet Spaceships.
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    while the over the top nature makes little sense, if any at all, i do appreciate the quality of his work. the dude makes some cool stuff...now, if the characters he used were actually capable of displaying that kind of power, well, that'd be all for the better.

it reminds me of karas, to be honest

Guek on
  • Options
    TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So, I think we can all agree that it is a terrible little movie because it lacks a robust and enthralling plotline and the guy is a a total nerd because he violates the integrity of my beloved video game characters with fanfiction, and that just steams me up, as a non-nerd.

TheOtherHorseman on
  • Options
    CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Fucking. Awesome. And I very much am not a fan of either DOA or most of the Final Fantasies - I still think this is pretty kickass.

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    rvcontre78rvcontre78 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I think the thing is that it's like looking into the inside of some 13 year old's brain as he writes an action scene for his crossover fanfic. This is what he sees.

Yeah, it's kind of like how I like the Fifth Element and how Luc Besson directed it although... maybe my creepiness radar is just a little sensitive but these Dead Fantasy movies are a little unnerving for some reason.

rvcontre78 on
    The Top Ten Neglected NES games by The Gaming Standard
    So, I think we can all agree that it is a terrible little movie because it lacks a robust and enthralling plotline and the guy is a a total nerd because he violates the integrity of my beloved video game characters with fanfiction, and that just steams me up, as a non-nerd.

haha, nice. Now let's pump iron and call girls.

My friend got approached as an undergrad by one of those "Man-on-the-street"-interviews during our freshman year and as a joke ended up being quoted in the paper.

Q: So what are you excited about this year?
    A: I'm going to pump iron and call girls.

rvcontre78 on
    It makes me sad that almost the entire thing was the DOA girls getting their asses kicked.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    rvcontre78rvcontre78 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Yeah, but this isn't some hifalutin film trying to get a message across. Well, I guess there is a message. It's just a Whedonesque one. Hot chicks kick ass. It's like sitting down for dinner and just eating fuckin' pie. I mean no one does that all the time and no one would even enjoy that all the time... but sometimes you're in the mood and you just eat some fuckin' pie. You eat the shit out of it.

rvcontre78 on
    If you read some of what Monty has written you'd get the reason for this match-up. It's not even something that he wanted to do, really.

It seems that he was quite happy making his own little movies with his own characters, but they just weren't getting the attention he wanted. Then he did Haloid, which was Halo vs Metroid, and the response was berserk, which should have been obvious. He was actually a little unhappy about that:
    First to be said about this movie is that I sorta sold out. Though I'm supposed to be working on the next episode of my own animated series. The fact that the last movie I published here in January received only about 4,000 in the first 2 weeks whereas a movie of less quality I published here a year ago received 20,000 in the first 2 days. I couldn't help but want to pull a sort of "publicity stunt" here with this movie.

One thing that you can't deny about Halo is that it's popular. In fact the Halo community is so large that if anything Halo related that surfaces on the web, it gets notice. The movie I submitted here over a year ago that contained a Halo-esque character was wildy more popular than the movie I had submitted more recently despite it being technically better.

It hit me with some minor distaste that the world as it is doesn't really want new stuff. They want to see new versions of the stuff they already know... Sorta. It could also be viewed in such that with the growing number of characters and stories out there. By trying to sell my own original story with my (somewhat) original characters I am vying for the attention of people who already have well enough to look at. Looking at it that way it's not so bad that when you think I’m competing against the studios out there that spend a fortune creating stories and characters they're struggling to sell as well.

Dead Fantasy has no real story, but he does explain that the characters, who are superhuman, are engaged in some sort of friendly competition. I'm thinking that after Dead Fantasy is over he'll probably start making his own stuff again. He'd have all the attention he needs at that point.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited March 2008
    YodaTuna wrote: »
    It makes me sad that almost the entire thing was the DOA girls getting their asses kicked.

Hitomiiiiiii

Aroduc on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Actually, my first thought while watching this was "Burly Brawl". After the first Matrix, pretty much every fight is just like the one in Dead Fantasy, where nothing is really happening and people are just fighting to fight, pretty much. The only difference being, this one at least had some variety, while Burly Brawl had bowling pin and skittle sound effects.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    TalkcTalkc Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Aroduc wrote: »
    YodaTuna wrote: »

Hitomiiiiiii

I call bullshit on the DOA girls getting slammed so hard. Especially with Tifa being so kickass. Guns to a fist fight. Tsk Tsk Tsk.

Maybe im just more partial to the characters from the FIGHTING GAME kicking more ASS. Emphasis on ASS.

Talkc on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited March 2008
    Houk wrote: »
    Actually, my first thought while watching this was "Burly Brawl". After the first Matrix, pretty much every fight is just like the one in Dead Fantasy, where nothing is really happening and people are just fighting to fight, pretty much. The only difference being, this one at least had some variety, while Burly Brawl had bowling pin and skittle sound effects.

I'd also like to point out the lack of extraneous slow motion and spinning camera effects.

In fact, the camera job on this one was pretty awesome. Even when things shifted, it was easy to follow what was going on instead of... say... Advent Children's spastic cuts to and from random perspectives all over the place.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    TVs_FrankTVs_Frank Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    My feelings on this are: HIS ANIMATING SKILL IS OVER NINE-THOUSAAAAAND!!!!

As an animating demo, its good. As anything else, its retarded. Its almost like watching a DragonBallZ fanfic, as someone else was saying. I couldn't watch the whole thing.

TVs_Frank on