As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Going to Walt Disney World (oh god).

Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
SO yeah, going over my spring break to WDW with my friend and his parents.
We'll be there for about a week, and just want some quick advice on the whole thing.
I did go once, but at the time I was 7, so I don't recall much.

I don't know yet which part of the park we're staying in, but what should I expect in terms of my room? I asked my friend and he doesn't know yet, but apparently it was a "deal", and I'm sharing a room with him with his parents in another.

Also, can you fly with 360's? I wanted to bring my 360 since I plan to play at night (It's my ritual, I guess). Also, I know most hotels have wireless internets, but does disney? And would it be possible to connect to it with a 360 wireless dongle? Or might there be an Ethernet port somewhere in the room? Fuck, can I even hook up my 360 to the tv? I know some tvs are bolted into the set.
Is it even worth risking?

Also, what's fun to do other than rides in Disney? I know we'll be able to be on our own, so I imagine anything is possible. Also, we will have a good amount of cash.

Woo. Also, any tips and stuff would be great.

Local H Jay on

• DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    It's probably not worth it to bring the 360. The airline might give you a hard time about it, though you'd probably be okay if you checked it, but then it's getting tossed around by baggage handlers.

The hotel TV may or may not even be accessible to hook things up to it. The hotel may or may not have free wireless. I've stayed in some that do, and I've stayed in others that have wireless, but you have to pay a daily access fee to actually connect and use it.

Daenris on
  • oldsakoldsak Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    First off, you're going to want to read a guide to Disney World. Disney World is an amusement park, and like any amusement park, the lines can be horrendous. A proper guide will lay out an order to hit rides at the various parks in order to completely avoid the crowds. Also, since you're staying at a Disney World hotel, you'll be able to get access to the individual parks an hour or two earlier than people staying outside or just visiting for the day.

Besides having rides, Disney world has a few shows to check out. I don't know what's big now, but the Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular has always been a mainstay. Also, Epcot can be an interesting place to eat lunch or dinner as they have this whole "Restaurants from around the world" bit, where each restaurant has a different country as a theme. I recall there being a huge multiple floor arcade, I think it was in downtown disney, where once you're in all the games are "free" as they don't require tokens or cards or the like. Of course the problem with that is little kids tend to get on a game and never get off it.

That's all I've got for now, I'll mention if I think of anything else.

oldsak on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I guess I'll ditch the 360, sounds like a bad idea.
    But that arcade sounds bad-ass, I definitely need to check it out.

Local H Jay on
  • BlochWaveBlochWave Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yah a plan is nice, last time I was there(like 8 years ago <_<) they had those quickpass things, you pay some money, get a slip, and two or three hours later it activates you get to come back and skip that line once. So you could be all strategic and stuff

I would think a 360 to be no more difficult than a laptop, if you can get a laptop case and stuff it in there, that should work nicely as a carry on, you'll just have to take it out and send it through the xray machine alone and outside the bag. You might wanna check though, if you have to check it and it's not super packaged, it's gonna get busted for sure

You should be able to see if the hotel has wireless by checking its webpage or calling, but even if not they'll almost definitely have an ethernet port

You'll need to check about the TV

BlochWave on
  • SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    You won't get any internet access in any of the Disney rooms without paying through the arse for it. There's one of the usual ethernet hook-ups that you could bridge across from a laptop but you'd be paying $10 / hour or whatever to play on Live. You'll be able to hook it up to the TV though, (as long as you bring standard-def cables -- composite / scart / s-video). I wouldn't risk not checking the 360 -- there's no way they'll allow you through security with a large box full of wires without taking you aside and making you prove that it's an actual xbox and not a bomb. Then again, I wouldn't risk checking it without padding it up the wazzoo as airline baggage handlers aren't the most careful people in the world.

Go without it for a week, you're at the happiest place on Earth. If you do it right you'll be getting back to the room at 1am, getting up again at 8 and not having time to play.

If they got a deal you'll either be at Pop Century (unlikely, actually as it's more expensive than the other value resorts) or the All Star Resorts. They're all clean, bright and well-themed around their respective general themes. They will all have a food court with a selection of menu items, ice creams, drinks, etc. Your room will just have a couple of beds, some drawers, a double sink and a shower room with toilet. What do you expect? You're looking at about 2-3* accommodation in the value resorts but they'll be clean, and the beds comfortable.

Rides / attractions to hit up should be as follows:
    Disney's Hollywood Studios
    Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular
    Tower of Terror
    Rock n' Rollercoaster
    Lights, Motors, Action
    Great Movie Ride

Epcot
    Soarin'
    Test Track

Animal Kingdom:
    Kilamanjaro Safaris
    Rafiki's Planet Watch
    Dinosaur
    Expedition Everest
    Finding Nemo stage show

Magic Kingdom
    EVERYTHING

Tips? Fastpasses. Grab a fastpass, queue for another ride, use fastpass on original ride. Rinse, repeat throughout the day. There's some fastpass machines that aren't connected to the others so you can get multiple passes -- try and figure out which ones. Don't skip the Everest queue -- it's one of the finest examples of thorough Imagineering you'll find. You'll also want to grab a fastpass for Rock n' Rollercoaster whilst you queue up for the Tower of Terror. The ToT has a much nicer queue (shaded and moist to keep you cool) than the Rock n' Rollercoaster's which is just a cramped back and forth in the sun.

Queue to the right if possible for Pirates, as you get to see Marc Davies' skeleton sight-gag. Go on the refurbished Haunted Mansion because they've seriously upped the ante with some of the set pieces. Sit on the rocking chairs outside Tony's restaurant on main street when you're feeling tired and just soak in the atmosphere. Eat at Columbia Harbour house and try and get a window seat to sit and watch people pass underneath into Adventureland.

Use the busses and hopper passes to jump around parks if the crowds get too much for you.

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    BlochWave wrote: »
    Yah a plan is nice, last time I was there(like 8 years ago <_<) they had those quickpass things, you pay some money, get a slip, and two or three hours later it activates you get to come back and skip that line once. So you could be all strategic and stuff

Whoa, you never paid for fastpasses. That's at Universal.

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Also, can you fly with 360's? I wanted to bring my 360 since I plan to play at night (It's my ritual, I guess)... Fuck, can I even hook up my 360 to the tv? I know some tvs are bolted into the set. Is it even worth risking?
    Some hotel TVs have coax only, and even that's clad in a little plastic sheath that prevents you from disconnecting the hotel's cable. I've been able to hook up a console to a hotel TV by disassembling the wall jack and putting my RF modulator between the cable inside the wall, and the coax female adapter on the inside of the wall jack. Obviously you need to either reassemble the wall jack every night, or hide it well during the day, or the maid will likely bring it to the attention of management, who will likely not look kindly on it.

Some hotel TVs have composite or S-Video inputs, but no button on the remote that will let you switch inputs, and no button on the TV either for input switching. You can bring a universal remote with you if you want, and use that to switch inputs once you've programmed it.

If you're really lucky, you'll have an HDTV with component and/or HDMI inputs... but I wouldn't count on it, nor would I count on being able to switch inputs with the hotel-provided remote (see above).

But is it worth it? I don't think so. You'll probably do enough during the day that you'll be fairly wiped at night. Just bring a DS or a PSP. If you don't have a DS or PSP, buy one plus a few games. Seriously, you can't be a card-carrying member of the gamer community and not own at least one portable system. Plus, you can use the handheld on the plane / in the car / on the train / while riding your manatee or whatever to Disney World.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I do have a PSP, so I guess I'll buy myself Crisis Core and co without Live for a week.
    I'm so used to playing it in my downtime, it just seemed natural to bring it. Oh well.

Local H Jay on
  • seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Internet at Disney is pretty expensive ($10/day). Depending on the hotel, you might also have wireless available (but it's not really any cheaper).

I think most of the TVs have ports in the front, but I'm not positive. I wouldn't bother though, tbh, unless you get sick, you probably aren't going to be spending much time in your room.

Stuff other than rides:
    -- Obvious one here is Downtown Disney which has a fuckton of shops (some Disney, others not), a bunch of clubs, and Cirque du Soleil, House of Blues (check if anyone interesting is playing while you're there), movie theater, and Disney Quest (a giant awesome arcade -- they charge admission, but it's free-play inside).
    -- Less obvious is exploring some of the hotels. The monorail ones are all pretty cool, Wilderness Lodge is neat (but kind of a pain to get to unless you're leaving from/returning to Magic Kingdom), as are the ones between Epcot and MGM (take the boat out the back of Epcot, or walk). (The Boardwalk has an ESPN Club and a piano bar, the Yacht and Beach Clubs have a good burger/ice cream place near the pool (sadly, you can't swim in the pool unless you're staying there).) Animal Kingdom Lodge is also pretty neat, if you can find an excuse to get out that way.
    -- There are two mini golf places, one near Blizzard Beach (Winter Summerland), the other near the Yacht and Beach Clubs (Fantasia Gardens).
    -- Rent a boat from one of the monorail hotels (Contemporary is probably easiest) and you can run all around the big lakes out in front of the Magic Kingdom. It's pretty awesome. (If you have a package, you might have a coupon for this.)

Eat at Epcot as often as you can manage it. I highly recommend Le Cellier in Canada (you have to have reservations though... if you can get in, have the cheese soup <3), and the bakeries in France and Norway, and everything at Morocco.
    Other than that, fastpass as much as possible, take advantage of evening magic hours, and don't be afraid to wander out of the park for a couple of hours if you start overheating or the crowds get unbearable.

seasleepy on
    Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • PeachstrudlePeachstrudle Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    You can always just visit Disney Quest when the main Parks have closed. It's located in the DownTown/Paraise Island area. It's basically a giant, free, arcade with lots of interactive virtual games as well as typical arcade games. You can even design and ride your own rollercoaster.
    It also closes quite late.

Peachstrudle on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    My friend just brought up his 360 on a plane ride and it went okay. They opened up his suitcase though (I assume because they thought it was a bomb) so I'd say lock it or something if you do bring it.

Also: Disney Quest was TERRIBLE when I went about a year ago. 90% of the "good" arcades were all busted and unusable. Every other game was trash.

urahonky on
  • LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Disney World is fucking epic.

Don't be tempted to skip the Animal Kingdom: it was my favourite park.

But you really really need a guide. To call Disney World an amusement park is a bit like calling the Titanic a boat: semantically accurate, but not really helping you with scale.

Also, make sure you check out the fireworks. The parks are so much more awesome after-dark, all the lighting and such makes it seem much more "magical", and many of the very small children will be gone.

EDIT: But if you like more thrill-rides, you might want to check out Universal Studios for the day.

Lewisham on
  • DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    My friend just brought up his 360 on a plane ride and it went okay. They opened up his suitcase though (I assume because they thought it was a bomb) so I'd say lock it or something if you do bring it.

That's a bad idea. They're going to want to take a look at it anyway, so locking the suitcase is just going to cause even more problems.

Daenris on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Daenris wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »

That's a bad idea. They're going to want to take a look at it anyway, so locking the suitcase is just going to cause even more problems.

Ah true. Bring it on as carry-on then, maybe? It's florida, after all the sweating/running around you'll be doing... You will not need anything to do when you get back to the hotel, all you'll want to do is sleep.

urahonky on
  • StephidabefidaStephidabefida Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I wouldn't recommend bringing the 360 on vacation, but if you decide to definitely take it a a carry on in a laptop. When we travel we usually bring our Wii and/or our 360 with and they pretty much treat gaming systems like laptops. In fact, the signs they have at the airports I have been through now include info about how to deal with consoles. Just put it through xray and you should be good to go.
    As for Disney World I can't be to much help because I only went once many years ago, and only for a day. But, if you go to Magic Kingdom, the Buzz Lightyear ride was surprisingly fun!

Stephidabefida on
    bftgk95jb551.png

• GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Take the Segway tour!

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • TachTach Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    As said, skip the 360. You're going during peak season, so the parks will be open later.

In addition to what's been said here, I'll chime in with my favorite to-dos.

First- if you're renting a car, you'll be able to use it to get around the resort. The place is BIG, and taking Resort transportation can add 40-60 minutes to any travel time. Plus, registering your car at the desk of your hotel gets you a parking pass you can use at the parks- and even other hotels- for free. Use it.

Second- the Hotels/Resorts themselves have some great restaruants. BOMA at Animal Kingdom is a favorite for some different buffet cuisine from the normal fare, African and Middle Eastern- nothing too exotic, but a great meal. Whispering Canyon at Wilderness Lodge is a winner for family style breakfast. Don't forget to ask for ketchup. Ohana at Polynesean, and Concourse Steakhouse at the Contemporary are also top notch.

Magic Kingdom- Take the Monorail in from the Ticket and Transportation Center, and take the Ferry across the lake when you leave. TAKE THE FERRY WHEN YOU LEAVE. It's a gorgeous sight, and leaves a fantastic feeling in you. Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Space Mountain, Winnie the Pooh, Country Bears, Splash Mountain, Jungle Cruise, etc. All good times. Wishes is a great fireworks show, just avoid the left side of the castle, bad views.

EPCOT- Recommend Japan for sushi. Trained Japanese chefs. Outstanding. Grab a beer in Germany. Take the 1/2 hour to sit through American Adventure, it's beautiful from a historical and technical standpoint. Mission: Space, Test Track, Spaceship Earth, Maelstrom, Universe of Energy and The Land attractions are definite must sees to keep in mind. Get good seats for Illuminations, the fireworks show. It's the best one in the whole resort.

Hollywood Studios(formerly Disney/MGM)- 3 great restaruants here. The Brown Derby, the Primetime Cafe, and Sci-Fi Dine In. My favorite is Sci-Fi. You get to eat in a car at a drive-in movie while trailers for horrible 50's movies play. Fantastic. Be sure to order a kids-sized cup of soda- you get a glow-in-the dark cup, and a flashing ice cube. And a soda! Rides are pretty simple here, Tower of Terror, Rockin' Rollercoaster, Indy Show, Lights, Motors, Action show, Star Tours, and Muppetvision. Done and done.

Animal Kingdom- It's 10 years old this year, and is a pretty good park now. Take the Kilamanjaro Safari, and the Maharaja's tour. Both are great views of the parks animals. Expedition Everest. Again. Maybe a third time. Stop by Dinoland and go on DINOSAUR, and Primeval Whirl. (the funny thing about both of these rides, is they have the same storyline, not many people realize it.) I've heard the Nemo show is very good, but I haven't seen it. Wander around and enjoy the sights.

Downtown Disney has some great shops and restaurants. Pleasure Island has a few clubs, if you're interested, but it's rapidly being downsized. The one remaining jewel here is the Adventurer's Club. One of my favorite places in the whole resort. It's well worth spending a few hours and a few drinks and a few laughs. You won't regret it.

If you do have a car, and some extra days, I suggest Universal Studios, and especially Islands of Adventure. Both have some fantastic rides and shows. IOA has some of the best themeing outside a Disney park I've ever seen. It's brilliant, even though some of it is under construction for Harry Potter land.

Above all, be patient as there will be lines, and tons of tourists who are not going to be pleasant. Wear comfortable shoes as there's a lot of walking. Take LOTS of pictures if you're into that. Be sure to look at things, take in as much as you can. On the way in, maybe pick up some bottled water and carry it in a backpack or somewhere.

Have a great time, man. I'm envious.

*edit- Damn. Forgot stuff.

Tach on