As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hot..! Too hot!

VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
From my initial build thread here, I got to the point where the BIOS would come up. I removed the fan from that build and added Vista Home Premium because a forumer said that the processor (Intel Quad Q6600 2.4ghz SLACR) did not need the extra cooling.

Well on my first boot-up, I checked the hardware monitor in the BIOS and my core was running at 71 C. Rebooted, same thing. And again. The temp was climbing close to 80 C. My case was open, the rear 120mm fan was on, along with the processor fan, power supply fan, and video card fan. Most of the cables are out of the way.

So I removed the processor, reseeded it, and reseeded the heatsink/fan. Same result, but it did recognize that there was a new CPU this time. What is going wrong here? I didn't modify the BIOS settings, so I'm not overclocking it. I also did not install my OS yet because it's not recognizing my Vista disk, but I think that's due to my shitty optical drives and not related to the more important question.

CoH_infantry.jpg
Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
VeritasVR on

• Options
    edited April 2008
    Wow. I fixed the problem. The Intel manual diagrams were WRONG. I had to rotate the heatsink/fan 90 degrees clockwise and then seed the pins. The ASUS motherboard manual was correct in its diagrams, but I chose to follow Intel because hey, it was their own $250 product.

So I had the processor idling for a total of about 10 minutes at around 75 C. It's now down to 26 C consistently. Now the question becomes, how much damage did I do during those 10 minutes?

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
  • Options
    NeakyNeaky Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'd say none.

You're clear.

Neaky on
    Violynt.png
  • Options
    MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yeah nothing really to worry about. I've done a lot more damage to CPU's before, they can take a pretty decent hit most the time.

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • Options
    MephistophelesMephistopheles Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Well it sounds like if there were problems with the chip, they probably would have cropped up during that "burn-in" (heh). So, I guess there is that.

Mephistopheles on
    "Friends are just enemies in reverse."
    - Gary Busey
    A Glass, Darkly
  • Options
    NorayNoray Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    My Q6600 runs around 36 degrees when idle... this seems a little much to me, compared to yours. Should I be worried?

Noray on
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    nope

depends on room temp, case design, number of fans, cpu heatsink, etc etc

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    wabbitehwabbiteh Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Noray wrote: »
    My Q6600 runs around 36 degrees when idle... this seems a little much to me, compared to yours. Should I be worried?

36 is perfectly fine. If anything, I'd say his is running on the (extremely) low side; 26 degrees is nearly ambient temperature.

wabbiteh on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    The OP probably hasn't updated his bios, which means his motherboard is giving incorrect temp readings.

You're fine.

Neaky on
    Violynt.png
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Motherboards always give incorrect temperature readings since they use a sensor on the motherboard itself. For an accurate reading you need to use a program like coretemp, which will usually be 20 C or so higher than the motherboards reported temp.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Thanks guys.

Now I need to get my friggin optical drive to recognize the Vista 64 disk.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
  • Options
    RhakyrRhakyr Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    A little bit of a hijack here but I just loaded up that coretemp program and it says that I'm getting 50 degrees Celcius. I've got a Core2Duo E6600 and wondering if thats too high for idle.

Rhakyr on
    rhakyr.png
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Rhakyr wrote: »
    A little bit of a hijack here but I just loaded up that coretemp program and it says that I'm getting 50 degrees Celcius. I've got a Core2Duo E6600 and wondering if thats too high for idle.

My E6600 idled ~32 C and loaded around 45 (to the 50s running those ridiculous load stressing apps), although it was overclocked and had an aftermarket cooler. 50 C idling is a bit too high for the chip.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    try some other temp apps - like the ones that came with your mobo

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    RhakyrRhakyr Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The asus program that is designed for my board showed very similiar temperatures; guess I should buy an aftermarket cooler for it? On that note do you guys have any good recommendations?

Rhakyr on
    rhakyr.png
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    First of all, while 50 C is a bit high for that chip to idle at, it won't damage anything, it most likely won't shorten the lifespan a noticeable amount unless it goes over 65 or so under load. If you want to cool it down the best HSF for LGA775 is the thermalright ultra 120 extreme, the scythe ninja plus rev.B is a slightly cheaper, not as good but still better than stock cooling alternative.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I may have a minor problem. I bought a 120mm fan for $5 from Microcenter for my case for some extra cooling, but I'm not able to install the fan because there's not enough room in the front bottom area behind the plastic cover.

The case manual says you can do it with a 120mm. The fan is the same size as the fan in the back which came with the case.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
  • Options
    MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    VeritasVR wrote: »
    I may have a minor problem. I bought a 120mm fan for $5 from Microcenter for my case for some extra cooling, but I'm not able to install the fan because there's not enough room in the front bottom area behind the plastic cover.

The case manual says you can do it with a 120mm. The fan is the same size as the fan in the back which came with the case.

Could you take a picture of the area the manual says you can put the fan?

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    It is "seat" and "reseated" not "seed" or "reseeded." You shouldn't be getting any "seed" inside your computer. ;)

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Gihgehls wrote: »
    It is "seat" and "reseated" not "seed" or "reseeded." You shouldn't be getting any "seed" inside your computer. ;)

hahahaha I didn't even notice that

Neaky on
    Violynt.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So what if SpeedFan shows a temp of 104c ? Can a CPU even get that hot without just shutting down?

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    So what if SpeedFan shows a temp of 104c ? Can a CPU even get that hot without just shutting down?

100 C is boiling water, so imagine how hot that actually is. I don't think it's possible.
    MoSiAc wrote: »

Could you take a picture of the area the manual says you can put the fan?

Sure. Spoilered for many pictures.
    My fan:
    fan.jpg

The manual:
    guide.jpg

Front cover:
    frontcover.jpg

Inside the case with the HD bay removed via the instructions:
    insidecase.jpg

But the fan can't fit inside there:
    cannotfitcase.jpg

So what's under the front cover:
    undercover.jpg

The fan can align to the screw holes here:
    fanalign.jpg

But the fan size is too big to shut the case:
    cannotfitcover.jpg

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

100 C is boiling water, so imagine how hot that actually is. I don't think it's possible.
    yeah, that's what I figured. All the computers of that type we have show pretty high temperatures, this one is just nuts. It's also the one that had been crashing with BAD_POOL_CALLER errors until I opened up the back to let it cool off. So I don't know what the actual temp is, but it is too hot.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png