As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Going to buy a 360

tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Games and Technology
For various reasons I'm now nearly convinced that I'm going to have to buy an xbox. I know next to nothing about xboxen or live. I would be grateful if someone could help me with a few questions. Question the first: If I buy a used xbox, how vulnerable am I to the RRoD? Can I do anything to mitigate the risk? Question number 'b': The principle use of this machine will be for playing Rock Band. Can I buy the downloadable songs without paying for a Live account? Question III: I want to get this a cheaply as possible; what are the different grades of xboxen and their features?

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Wii Code:
0431-6094-6446-7088
tarnok on

• Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    tarnok wrote: »
    For various reasons I'm now nearly convinced that I'm going to have to buy an xbox. I know next to nothing about xboxen or live. I would be grateful if someone could help me with a few questions. Question the first: If I buy a used xbox, how vulnerable am I to the RRoD? Can I do anything to mitigate the risk? Question number 'b': The principle use of this machine will be for playing Rock Band. Can I buy the downloadable songs without paying for a Live account? Question III: I want to get this a cheaply as possible; what are the different grades of xboxen and their features?

1- I'd buy it new, for the very good MS warranty.
    2- Totally. The pay portion of Live is online play. You didn't seriously think they wouldn't allow you to give them money just because you're not a gold member, did you? ;-)
    3- I don't know all of them. I personally went with some Premium pack, which included GRAW, some offline XBLA games and a headset.

I understand that you are trying to minimize the costs, and I respect this, but with these new consoles that have items attached to them such as XBLA titles, DLC, gamertags, virtual console games, I really recommend going new. Save up for another month or two, maybe. I think you will not regret it in the long run. As I mentionned, the warranty will be a totally new warranty of one year (3 for RRoD) if you buy it new. Also, the newer model that is supposed to break much less is out, I think. I don't know much about this, but some other members might be able to help you ID the new consoles in a store.

Djiem on
  • Options
    PemulisPemulis Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I will also second going new for the warranty.

If money is a huge issue I think the arcade is your best bet. According to some very advanced math you can get an arcade, a hard drive and a headset for less than a premium, plus you get the live games. I just bought the premium myself, but TSR will be in here soon if someone doesn't state this.

Pemulis on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Pemulis wrote: »

If money is a huge issue I think the arcade is your best bet. According to some very advanced math you can get an arcade, a hard drive and a headset for less than a premium, plus you get the live games. I just bought the premium myself, but TSR will be in here soon if someone doesn't state this.

What harddrive(s) are compatible with the 360? It's possible I have one laying around I could use.

tarnok on
    Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    You can only use their (ridiculously overpriced) proprietary hard drives.

Pemulis on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    You can only use their (ridiculously overpriced) proprietary hard drives.

Fucking microsoft.

tarnok on
    Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited April 2008

What harddrive(s) are compatible with the 360? It's possible I have one laying around I could use.
    They have their own proprietary HDDs. One is 20GB and one is 120 and both are available as standalone purchases.

The Arcade (formerly the Core) does not come with a HDD. It does come with a 256MB MU (what they call a memory card). If you're planning on Rock Band, you'll likely either need to buy a separate hard drive or a 360 that comes with one. That is, if you're planning on buying much of the DLC available.

The Premium model has the 20GB hard drive and if you can find them, the Elite models come with the 120GB hard drive.

I don't know if Pemulis is right about buying the separate parts and still being less than an Arcade, but I'd suppose some dedicated searching and price comparisons can net a good deal.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Djiem wrote: »

1- I'd buy it new, for the very good MS warranty.
    2- Totally. The pay portion of Live is online play. You didn't seriously think they wouldn't allow you to give them money just because you're not a gold member, did you? ;-)
    3- I don't know all of them. I personally went with some Premium pack, which included GRAW, some offline XBLA games and a headset.

I understand that you are trying to minimize the costs, and I respect this, but with these new consoles that have items attached to them such as XBLA titles, DLC, gamertags, virtual console games, I really recommend going new. Save up for another month or two, maybe. I think you will not regret it in the long run. As I mentionned, the warranty will be a totally new warranty of one year (3 for RRoD) if you buy it new. Also, the newer model that is supposed to break much less is out, I think. I don't know much about this, but some other members might be able to help you ID the new consoles in a store.

I dont' think the XBLA/DLC/gamertag stuff makes a difference as to buying new/used, but like you said, I'd highly suggest new if only for avoiding any type of warranty issues (unless you can get a REAALLY cheap used deal, it's probably not worthwhile)

I think the main 3 now are the Arcade (no Hard Drive), Pro/Premium (yes 20gb HD), and Elite (black & 120 gb HD).. there are a couple subtle differences in terms of packed-in stuff (the top two I think have headsets and a wireless controller, Pro had the Forza/Marvel games, Arcade I don't believe has a headset and comes instead with a 256mb memory card with 4 XBLA games on it), but the hard drive is the biggie. For Rock Band DLC you definitely want the hard drive, so I'd go for the Pro/Premium (Elite is not really worth the extra cost unless you either really love black paint, or think you're going to also be downloading a whole bunch of movies... 20 gb should be more than enough for temporary demos & downloaded stuff)

There are sometimes other packages floating around different vendors, but for that you might just have to poke around and look for a deal that comes with what you want

*edit

unless you know of a really good sale on either the Arcade, or hard drives (or used hard drives or something), there's no way it's cheaper... the hard drive by itself is still $90 new (120 is $150), which is $20 more than the difference between the Arcade & Pro

this is probably not the best time of year to wait for a sale, but you could try checking out one of the gaming/tech deal sites and see what pops up... I bought mine a couple years ago when MicroCenter had their $100 rebate going on, so you can sometimes get lucky

Gdiguy on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Ah, I looked through TSR's posts and he says he can get a 20GB HDD for $50. I would just go with the premium/pro.

Pemulis on