As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Skepticism and alternative medicine

13»

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I have a friend that has lime disease, which as you all know, has no cure.

Her family decided they would go to some wacky pseudo-doctor who said he could cure it with lasers and some other ridiculous shit. Naturally, I was very much opposed to this and gave her all sorts of shit about going to the witchdoctor. She was reluctant, but went and did the treatment anyway.

Apparently, it worked.

1) Lyme disease is not incurable. In the late stages it is highly treatment-resistant, but it is not incurable.

2) A number of other disorders, including rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia, are sometimes mistaken for Lyme disease. She might not have had Lyme disease.

3) Lyme disease can go into spontaneous remission. Just because the disease goes away doesn't mean the treatment was effective.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    Studies show that sham acupuncture, or just sticking needles in random places in the body, is just as effective as actual acupuncture. So there's no meridan or chi garbage involved. Or even nerve targeting. Unfortunately as mentioned earlier, it would be extremely difficult to do a real test to determine if the pain reduction accomplished by sticking a bunch of needles in you is due to the placebo effect or not. In any event I don't want to be paying a "trained" acupuncture person a lot of money to do a job any schmo could accomplish.

Senjutsu had a link to a study where the control group was poked with retractable needles, which seems like a more reliable control than simply randomizing needle placement.

I never got around to reading it, though.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Quackwatch is the best kind of watch.

Also, amusingly many homeopathic remedies have instructions like "Take one for mild pain. Take two if severe."

Lulz.
    Homeopathic medicine is my "favorite" so far. Apparently the dilution is actually smaller than that of the impurities in the water.

We need more funding for science education in schools. D:

Edit: See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeopathy#Preparation_of_remedies

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Feral wrote: »
    I have a friend that has lime disease, which as you all know, has no cure.

Her family decided they would go to some wacky pseudo-doctor who said he could cure it with lasers and some other ridiculous shit. Naturally, I was very much opposed to this and gave her all sorts of shit about going to the witchdoctor. She was reluctant, but went and did the treatment anyway.

Apparently, it worked.

1) Lyme disease is not incurable. In the late stages it is highly treatment-resistant, but it is not incurable.

2) A number of other disorders, including rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia, are sometimes mistaken for Lyme disease. She might not have had Lyme disease.

3) Lyme disease can go into spontaneous remission. Just because the disease goes away doesn't mean the treatment was effective.

1) Someone already said that.

2) Uh, I'm pretty sure that after having it her whole life and seeing many doctors about it, it isn't a misdiagnoses.

3)I'm just going off of what she told me.

Really, what more do you want from me? I am not saying I believe in the stuff. You aren't adding anything to the conversation by restating things other people have already said.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Sometimes doctors just let the old diagnosies ride for years without ever rechecking them.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Really, what more do you want from me?

A chocolate chip cookie and a tummy rub.

Feral on

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Enig wrote: »

Also, amusingly many homeopathic remedies have instructions like "Take one for mild pain. Take two if severe."

Lulz.
    Homeopathic medicine is my "favorite" so far. Apparently the dilution is actually smaller than that of the impurities in the water.

My favorite bull shit cure is colloidal silver. It has very mild anti bacterial properties, but it also turns you in to a smurf!

http://www.boingboing.net/2007/12/20/another-person-turns.html

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    DanHibiki wrote: »

Lulz.

My favorite bull shit cure is colloidal silver. It has very mild anti bacterial properties, but it also turns you in to a smurf!

Well actually, colloidal silver agglomerates into bulk silver in your stomach. Which is fortunate because it would probably be pretty damn bad to take a non-specific anti-biotic on a daily basis, thus wiping out your gut fauna.

EDIT: Colloids are electrostatically stabilized. Adding them to high salt solutions, like say, strong acids, screens the repulsive charges and then the surface tension energy does the rest.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    This is tangentially related, but I'm curious. A friend of mine's mother's boyfriend (who is involved with an alternative medicine practice) was telling us about organ recipients who experience changes to their personality which match their donor and who have memories about things that happened to their donor. Is there any truth to this? He was saying things like, "These stories really question everything that we know about the body, because what we used to think just occured in the brain actually is located within the body, too."
    I was going to respond to this intelligently, but my evil hand is wanting me to be a jackass.

GungHo on
  • Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008

Lulz.

Wow, just... wow. On the one hand I'm jaded and evil enough to kind of want these morons turn themselves blue and possibly kill themselves. On the other hand, I really want to make sure they don't kill their children this way. And I want children in general to be smart enough to know BS when they see it. Which, yes, means more science funding.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but an awful lot of "alternative" medicines are out these days, and Americans' understanding of science is abysmally low. Has it always been this low, or are these snake oil salesmen taking advantage of a relatively new ignorance?

Curly_Brace on
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The problem with acupuncture is that there's been no reliable control developed for the procedure. I mean either you just stabbed someone with a needle or you didn't - the ones they have they sort of "half-stab" you with the needle, but I think you can see the obvious problems with that.

As far as I'm aware, I think from the Derren Brown book "Tricks of the Mind" (stupendous book BTW) that they have done randomised acupuncture trials. There were multiple groups. Amusingly the group that was stabbed randomly but had the stabber making lots of pseudo-mumbo jumbo statements had the best response to the 'treatment'.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Lulz.

Wow, just... wow. On the one hand I'm jaded and evil enough to kind of want these morons turn themselves blue and possibly kill themselves. On the other hand, I really want to make sure they don't kill their children this way. And I want children in general to be smart enough to know BS when they see it. Which, yes, means more science funding.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but an awful lot of "alternative" medicines are out these days, and Americans' understanding of science is abysmally low. Has it always been this low, or are these snake oil salesmen taking advantage of a relatively new ignorance?

Let's just say that the FDA was created for a good reason.

jothki on