As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Steam troubles

ShinyoShinyo Registered User regular
edited May 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Well, I finally decided to get back into TF2, and I can't get the server list to populate. I think it's my router which I've had for a couple weeks. I tried configuring it according to this website linked to the official Steam help page to no avail. I've tried several other things such as turning off background programs, running spy/adware and virus scans, etc.

I can get a list of the servers from the Steam menu (the one where you can see all the servers from all the games), but cannot actually connect to any of those servers.

My router is a 'Wireless DSL Gateway GT704-WG' if it helps. I'd love to go get me some medic achievements.

Shinyo on

• Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Are you running any software firewall? I had a problem with Comodo blocking some of Steam and/or TF2's communication, but I wasn't getting the prompt to unblock it for some reason. Easy to check, anyway, just try disabling your software firewall temporarily and see if it works after.

Also, regarding that sample router configuration, I find it kind of odd that they're forwarding port ranges to a single port (e.g. TCP 27020-27039 are all forwarded to TCP 27020 on the internal host, if I read it right). Perhaps your system is expecting traffic on 27031, but it's receiving it on 27020 instead. On my router's configuration, I have TCP/UDP 27000-27050 (one overly broad rule because I'm lazy) forwarded to the same port range on my gaming system, and TF2 works fine. Is there any way to configure your router to not flatten the port range?

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I do have COMODO, but unless I turn it off I can't even get past the loading screen.
    Could it be somehow blocking the connection even though I've turned it off?

As for the port range, I really have no idea what the hell most of that means. I just copied it down.

Shinyo on
  • Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Shinyo wrote: »
    I do have COMODO, but unless I turn it off I can't even get past the loading screen.
    Could it be somehow blocking the connection even though I've turned it off?
    No, if you close Comodo such that it doesn't appear in the system tray, then I'd say it's no longer running and thus not the issue.
    Shinyo wrote: »
    As for the port range, I really have no idea what the hell most of that means. I just copied it down.
    Well, normally when you forward a port range (e.g. 27000-27015), you forward it to a port range of the same length internally. So when you forward the range of ports, it's like it's creating N individual port forwards. Port 27000 on the external side of your router is forwarded to port 27000 on your desktop, external port 27001 is forwarded to desktop port 27001, etc. The way I read the sample config you linked for your router, it looks like maybe that router will only let you forward to a single port. I.e. external port 27000 is forwarded to desktop port 27000, external port 27001 is forwarded to desktop port 27000, external port 27002 is forwarded to desktop port 27000, and so on. That could be the problem. If the server is telling your client "listen for game communication on port 27010", but then the traffic gets port forwarded to 27000, your game client is never going to see it because the traffic is getting forwarded to a port it isn't listening on.

The only thing I can suggest is creating a whole bunch of individual port fowards rather than using port ranges. So instead of mapping 27000-27015 to 27000, create 16 separate rules, mapping external 27000-27000 UDP to internal 27000, external 27001-27001 UDP to internal 27001, etc. And the same for the other port range (27020-27039 UDP). Kind of a pain in the ass, I know, but it's the only thing I can think of.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Didn't work. Here's what I did, just in case I messed up somewhere.

Shinyo on
  • Options
    splashsplash Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    From what I saw the general recommendation was that steam needs 27020-27050 open and suggested just do both types (UDP and TCP) for simplicity or something. Maybe that range is just for my type of router? And then also 27015 open and make sure block anonymous internet requests isn't on.

EDIT: I could add that at first because I didn't have the routers open the server list didn't populate, except strangely, the very first time I opened TF2. I still have trouble getting servers to respond now. I can't tell if it's my problem or theirs but like 1/3 of the servers inititally don't respond but show up in the list, then after 10 seconds most I've tried are fine.

splash on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Tried opening ports to 27050, but still not working.

Well nice to know I'm not the only one having these problems. But waiting upwards of ten minutes and still not having the list populate seems to be more of a problem.

Shinyo on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Still not working, still need help. :/

Shinyo on