As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Things to do in Toronto

2and2is52and2is5 Registered User regular
edited May 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey guys, some friends and I are driving up to Toronto for a few days next week. I was hoping for some suggestions on what to see/do while we are there.

We are all of age (for Canada at least), so anything goes. What should we do during the day? What bars/clubs do we have to go to? Will our pitiful American dollar buy us any fancy Canadian things?

2and2is5 on

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Alright. I was you in January.

DO eat the food from the street vendors. Specifically the hot dogs. FANTASTIC.
    DO know that buying alcohol is not like the states, you'll need to find a beer or liquor store. Be prepared to pay over double the price and kiss can goodbye.
    DO pick up a city map as soon as possible.
    DO bring cash for a cab
    DO have a plan for parking.
    DO bring some more formal clothing for the nicer clubs. Get ready to get raped by cover charges.
    DO Hit up the Piccadilly Circus to find the college crowd.

DO NOT go to afterhours. Unless you like drugs. Even then..well...avoid it.

Bonus: If you've never been to a big city before (we were all from Ohio) Toronto should blow your mind. Just walk to Dundas square and take it all in from there. Seriously you can walk in any direction and find something of interest. Walking through China town to the beer store is an adventure in itself.

Oh and get ready for a lot of coins. Be careful though you may love the place.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    For alcohol you're looking for "The Beer Store" or an LCBO outlet. Beer is readily available in cans. Prices vary between buck-a-beer brands and $10-$12 for a half dozen of something good.

Best way to get around (if they're not on strike) is the TTC - day passes give you unlimited travel for $8.75 (I think). If it's a weekend, two people can travel on one pass. Pretty much anything you'd want to do is on the subway - unless you want to hit up the zoo (which is out in Scarborough) or Canada's Wonderland (take the subway to Yorkdale station, and get a GO bus - about a $9 round trip). I'd really suggest just leaving the car somewhere unless you absolutely need it.

For a decent place to eat and drink, try the Madison near Spadina station . . . unless you're really into going to terrible night clubs like Piccadilly Circus - on the whole that scene is ridiculously expensive, pretentious and not worth it (except PC - that's more or less your dirt cheap underage place). I've also heard good things about the Biere Markt on the Esplanade (near Union station).

If the Jays are playing, (bad) tickets can be gotten for as low as $5. In the same area (as the Skydome/Roger's Center) you also have the CN Tower and the Steamwhistle Brewery. You'd get there from Union station. Speaking of the waterfront - there are also boat tours of the harbour. You can reach the Toronto Islands by ferry, but the weather might not be too great to hit the beach just yet.

Your major shopping is at the Eaton Centre (Queen station), the Yorkdale Mall or Bloor between University and Yonge (St. George, Bay or Bloor-Yonge stations) - but you aren't likely to find anything you can't get in the U.S. there. For more unique shopping there is Queen Street West (Osgoode station). Interesting mix of clothes, music and books (including a few comic book places).

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    2and2is52and2is5 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Thanks for the suggestions so far guys. And don't worry, I'm used to the beer/liquor stores, since I have to put up with that all the time living in Pennsylvania.

On a more specific note, any good local bands playing Wednesday - Friday next week?

2and2is5 on
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    -

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    KublaKhanKublaKhan Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Also, check out Now Toronto, they have listings for everything, from clubs to concerts:
    http://www.nowtoronto.com/

If clubbing is your thing check out Cicra (hip-hop fridays, electro saturdays), if you are more interested in bars, go to College street west of Bathurst and just walk around. Also, I don't know what their show atm is like, but second city is more often then not really funny.

KublaKhan on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    2and2is5 wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestions so far guys. And don't worry, I'm used to the beer/liquor stores, since I have to put up with that all the time living in Pennsylvania.

On a more specific note, any good local bands playing Wednesday - Friday next week?

Be sure to actually just look at the flyers posted around the city. We found quite a few good little events (even ended up at a rave) because of flyers that had been posted or were handed out.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png