As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Where to post my Walkthrough?

JazmeisterJazmeister Registered User
edited May 2008 in Penny Arcade Games
Hey everyone,
I just finished a fairly in-depth 100% completion walkthrough for the game of games. I submitted it to gameFAQs, and they rejected the first kind of place-holder one, which I shouldn't have even bothered uploading, but once the weekend hit they didn't even look at any submissions. So they, you know, took the weekend off, basically.

Version 1.00, containing the whole walkthrough, locations of all collectibles, and a totally incomplete combat guide, is now waiting to be viewed by gameFAQs editors. While I'm waiting, can I get this hosted anywhere else? I couldn't find an FAQ or walkthrough anywhere when I started, and I know someone has to be looking for one.

I'm also looking for anyone owning the XBox version of the game, to look through my guide and suggest anything I could do to make it more XBox friendly. Actually, if anyone had any suggestions at all, I'd look at them and give full credit for what I include, obviously, but the XBox users need the attention most, I think. Of course, to read it, I have to put it somewhere. I can't just stick it in a thread here, can I?

Thanks for all your help,
Jazmeister

Edit: I submitted this to IGN on 27/5/08. Will post links when it's up on either gamefaqs or ign.

Jazmeister on

Posts

  • hypeserverhypeserver Registered User
    edited May 2008
    Not sure where you could post the walkthrough. I'm a Xbox user and player of the game so I can help if need be. I've pretty much beaten the game besides the final boss battle and getting all the parts and collectibles (50 parts short and collectible #11 missing).

    hypeserver on
  • JazmeisterJazmeister Registered User
    edited May 2008
    Here's a bit pasted from my walkthrough. It's a list of all the parts in Pelican Bay. FF means fruit fucker, obviously.

    Pelican Bay: 450/450 parts

    50 2 FF in lunch box by flying pricks in Pelican Bay.
    50 2 FF in travel case to the right as you approach Zudora.
    50 2 FF in seagull to the right as you pass Zudora.
    50 2 FF in lunch box, by It's Like Fudge to the left of that corridor.
    50 2 FF in seagull by the second anchor in Pelican Bay.
    50 2 FF in milk bottles by Wangs in Pelican Bay.
    50 2 FF in a green shoe by the cataract in Pelican Bay.
    100 4 FF in a seagull past the cataract in Pelican Bay.

    It's probably the one by flying pricks. It's so goddamn quiet, and it's in the shade so it hardly moves.

    Number 11 is way behind Zudora, by the little mime cult area (red/black boards). It's that poster in the window of the shop to the left of that area.

    I think I'd probably need to change the word "Click" in my review into more context-specific words, like "Search" or "Talk to". That's a good place to start I suppose.

    Jazmeister on
  • devoirdevoir Registered User
    edited May 2008
    "Interact with" as opposed to "click" would work fine.

    devoir on
  • Mace1370Mace1370 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    You couldn't just post it here?

    Mace1370 on
  • ChokeholdChokehold Registered User
    edited May 2008
    Did GameFAQs give any reason to why they denied it?

    Chokehold on
  • minigunwielderminigunwielder __BANNED USERS
    edited May 2008
    How about you not post that walkthrough because you just know that one stupid bastard who used it the entire game will criticize the game and that criticism will cause more than two people to not buy it?

    minigunwielder on
    Your sig was too tall. -Thanatos
    delroland wrote: »
    Gumpy wrote: »
    Gumpy and Friends versus The Interesting 8

    The first post of the thread.

    That was an edited in. It originally read "Gumpy & Friends vs the Generic Bad People"
  • OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    ...so people can't post shit they wrote out of fear that it might just maybe slightly hurt the game's sales?

    That's stupid.

    OremLK on
  • minigunwielderminigunwielder __BANNED USERS
    edited May 2008
    OremLK wrote: »
    ...so people can't post shit they wrote out of fear that it might just maybe slightly hurt the game's sales?

    That's stupid.

    Maybe I had the scale of the problem improperly said, there will be at least two hundred people who buy the game just because of internet hype+a walkthrough, they will never actually play the game, they will let the walkthrough do it for them, it will be nothing more than a list of chores to them.

    Right now, the chances are that you know at least two people who play games like this, without even goddamn thinking, they buy their games only when the strategy guide comes out, leave during/skip cutscenes, and then do everything the strategy guide says, skipping over any dialog just to get to the choices.

    Do you really want these people to tell people who will actually play the goddamn game their opinions?

    minigunwielder on
    Your sig was too tall. -Thanatos
    delroland wrote: »
    Gumpy wrote: »
    Gumpy and Friends versus The Interesting 8

    The first post of the thread.

    That was an edited in. It originally read "Gumpy & Friends vs the Generic Bad People"
  • JazmeisterJazmeister Registered User
    edited May 2008
    Chokehold:

    Actually, I myself would have denied the first one, and the site hasn't been updated since I submitted the second, third, and fourth (complete) ones. I pulled my old ones from the queue; the newest still says: "Ready for Content review." The number of FAQs in the queue grows steadily.

    minigunwielder:

    Because greater is the likelihood that someone will buy it and, not being able to find a walkthrough, will declare it's too hard and not enough game blah blah blah. There's enough of that already. Also, I've never heard of what you say happening.

    Jazmeister on
  • Mace1370Mace1370 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    OremLK wrote: »
    ...so people can't post shit they wrote out of fear that it might just maybe slightly hurt the game's sales?

    That's stupid.

    Maybe I had the scale of the problem improperly said, there will be at least two hundred people who buy the game just because of internet hype+a walkthrough, they will never actually play the game, they will let the walkthrough do it for them, it will be nothing more than a list of chores to them.

    Right now, the chances are that you know at least two people who play games like this, without even goddamn thinking, they buy their games only when the strategy guide comes out, leave during/skip cutscenes, and then do everything the strategy guide says, skipping over any dialog just to get to the choices.

    Do you really want these people to tell people who will actually play the goddamn game their opinions?

    You're one of those people who doesn't like it when people want to decide things for themselves, aren't you?

    Mace1370 on
  • JazmeisterJazmeister Registered User
    edited May 2008
    Do you really want these people to tell people who will actually play the goddamn game their opinions?

    Which is more hurtful to sales:

    A) 200 people not buying it because there's no walkthrough (which there will be whether I post my glowing, praise-filled masterpiece or not)

    B) 200 people recommending the game with a vacant look in their eyes, some drool, the listless wandering of a mind begging to be instructed, commanded...

    Plus, as a writer of walkthroughs (as of this week), I hope to eventually command the populace of the free world by releasing weekly "Life Walkthroughs", that my instructions might be carried out without thought, without emotion, without mercy. See the combat guide, now! Enter search code OBEY46 to jump to the appropriate section!

    Jazmeister on
  • KsterKster Registered User
    edited May 2008
    Mace1370 wrote: »
    You couldn't just post it here?

    I agree. I would have thought these forums was a good place to start. I know I for one am having trouble finding all the collectibles, so help with that would be much appreciated.

    Just make sure you have a great big spoiler alert to go with it. Jobs a good'n.

    Kster on
  • JazmeisterJazmeister Registered User
    edited May 2008
    Mace1370 wrote: »
    You couldn't just post it here?

    Spoke to a mod about it, turns out that (understandably) it'd be tough to protect it, especially without it being published elsewhere first. It's currently on gamefaqs at the following address:

    http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/file/935227/52906

    Feel free to email me on that address if there's any crap wrong with the guide, btw.

    Jazmeister on
  • EYE 8 UR BRAINSEYE 8 UR BRAINS Registered User
    edited May 2008
    well, Gamefaqs won't except FAQs that don't have the proper format and in a regular text document, not word

    EYE 8 UR BRAINS on
    Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fhtagn!
  • JazmeisterJazmeister Registered User
    edited May 2008
    well, Gamefaqs won't except FAQs that don't have the proper format and in a regular text document, not word

    Yeah, the format was perfect, they just rejected the first version because it was a placeholder, something I shouldn't have bothered uploading. You know the thing I mean, a contents page filled with "Coming Soon" where all the content should be?

    They accepted the next version fine, but it took them so long to sift through the queue or whatever that it took them 4 days to upload it.

    Jazmeister on
  • EYE 8 UR BRAINSEYE 8 UR BRAINS Registered User
    edited May 2008
    Jazmeister wrote: »
    well, Gamefaqs won't except FAQs that don't have the proper format and in a regular text document, not word

    Yeah, the format was perfect, they just rejected the first version because it was a placeholder, something I shouldn't have bothered uploading. You know the thing I mean, a contents page filled with "Coming Soon" where all the content should be?

    They accepted the next version fine, but it took them so long to sift through the queue or whatever that it took them 4 days to upload it.
    i'm ticked off because they rejected my "Silent But Deadly" achievement FAQ which was perfectly formatted. They said in their notes that it was "overspecialized." What the hell is that supposed to mean?

    EYE 8 UR BRAINS on
    Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fhtagn!
  • JazmeisterJazmeister Registered User
    edited May 2008
    Hell, I don't know. Is that the name of just one of the acheivements? Because normally, unless it's a very hard one to get (like some kind of 100% silent assassin in hitman, where you need to play for hours), I'd say just one FAQ per acheivement would be overspecialised, as in, writing a recipe book about how to make one dish.
    Stick in some other acheivements, call it an acheivement FAQ, stick it up there.

    Jazmeister on
Sign In or Register to comment.