As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Itunes/Ipod help

NorayNoray Registered User regular
edited May 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So I recently reinstalled Windows, without formatting my drive, and it turns out that my Itunes Library got deleted... yeah. Needless to say, this fucking blows. All my music on my Ipod is still present though, so I was wondering if I can sort of do the Synchronisation process in reverse - can I put everything that's on my Ipod into Itunes somehow? It would really suck if I had to rip all my albums into Itunes all over again as that process took fucking AGES.

Thanks.

Noray on

• Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    Have all the music files been deleted or just the library .xml?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1451

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Pretty sure the music is gone, the library files are still there.

so if I follow the steps on those page, when I hook up my ipod Itunes will import the music from my Ipod? I don't want to end up with an empty Ipod too

Noray on
  • Options
    CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Go ahead and plug your ipod in. When you do so it's going to tell you that there are songs in your ipod library that aren't on your pc and it's going to ask you whether you want to sync them onto your pc or not. This is one of those good reasons to have a backup of your music library.

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I used a third party program to copy all the files from my Ipod onto my computer, and then imported them into Itunes. Topic can be closed now. Thanks guys.

Noray on
  • Options
    ApexMirageApexMirage Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Crashtard wrote: »
    Go ahead and plug your ipod in. When you do so it's going to tell you that there are songs in your ipod library that aren't on your pc and it's going to ask you whether you want to sync them onto your pc or not. This is one of those good reasons to have a backup of your music library.

This is incorrect last I checked, you cant reverse sync without 3rd party software as the TC already mentionned he did.

ApexMirage on
    I'd love to be the one disappoint you when I don't fall down
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yeah. What the PC will do is ask you if you want to sync from the PC to the iPod, and then delete all your shit.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    ApexMirage wrote: »
    Crashtard wrote: »

This is incorrect last I checked, you cant reverse sync without 3rd party software as the TC already mentionned he did.

I dunno. I did it a few days ago, but it might only apply to stuff you've purchased through your itunes account.

Edit: Just confirmed that it's only stuff you've purchased: http://www.tuaw.com/2006/09/12/itunes-7-supports-reverse-syncing/

Crashtard on

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Noray wrote: »
    I used a third party program to copy all the files from my Ipod onto my computer, and then imported them into Itunes. Topic can be closed now. Thanks guys.

I'd be curious as to what program you used to do it.

Crashtard on

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I used Yamipod. It's one of the few totally free programs that do it. You can just select all your songs, copy them to your hard disk, and then use Itunes itself to import them back into your library. Not perfect, some Itunes-specific stuff was still gone, like imported album covers and whatnot, but beats having to re-rip all my CDs.

Noray on