As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Be Friendsâ„¢ >> The WipEout Thread

ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Games and Technology
WipEout Thread v1

Because WipEout HD is out soonish for PS3 owners, and I've been playing a lot of WipEout Pulse and it's easily one of the best racing games ever.

What is WipEout?
Long answer: It's a fast-paced action-based arcade racer with an emphasis on reaction times, tactical weapons use and smooth cornering. It's like F-Zero made cool and given missiles, or maybe it's Mario Kart on E. It's like crystal meth in a game. It's like crystal meth. It is crystal meth. WipEout is crystal meth.

What games have their been?
WipEout (PS1, PSN, PC, Mac)
wipeout7.jpg
The very first game in the series, it came out in 94ish and thanks to some very clever marketing got 20somethings playing games again. This immeditely destroyed the games industry and all hope it once held.

Wait, no it didn't. It sold about a billion copies, made people care about game soundtracks and graphic design again and got the PS1 into millions of homes that wouldn't have bought one otherwise.

WipEout 2097 (PS1, Saturn, PC, Mac)
wopic_03.jpg
Called WipEout XL in the states, where people are scared of big numbers but curiously find "XL" appeals to them.

Argued by some (idiots) to be the best in the series. It isn't, but it also sold a million copies and officially began the rush toward licensed soundtracks, seeing as it features the Prodigy, Orbital and a few others I'm forgetting.

Wip3out (PS1)
God, just look at it. The Designers Republic really pulled out the stops for this one, and with a soundtrack composed by Sasha it sounded incredible too.

Sadly the sales weren't too hot, largely because the menus and casing were perhaps a bit overdesigned and not in-your-face-cool enough. A real shame, though it is made up for by:

WipEout 3: Special Edition (PS1, Eu only)
This wasn't released in the states, and frankly you missed out on what is possibly my favourite game ever. There is literally not a single thing wrong with this game. Not one. The design is immaculate, there's enough here to play forever, the ships are perfectly balanced and all different enough (Qirex for life though I do envy Icaras pilots) Words cannot fully express my love of doing a perfect lap round Manor Top in a Qirex at Rapier class.

Pure unconcentrated bliss.

WipEout Fusion (don't bother)
wipeout_fusion_lr_2.jpg
Okay, your last game didn't sell so great, but you have a dedicated fanbase who love high speed, smooth racing lines and clean design.

Yes, throw all that shit out the window and give the design to some idiots-with-InDesign. Throw away the perfected handling. Throw away the course design.

Now you're left with utter wank. Ignore this rubbish.

WipEout Pure (PSP)
WipeoutPure02.jpg
A proper return to form, this almost gets it right. A few iffy decisions, but essentially the best racer on the PSP. At least until:

WipEout Pulse (PSP)
6259-WipeoutPulse4.jpg
The current love of my life (sorry Nela, but you don't go 600km/h or have a Quake Disrupter). It's not W3 SE, but nothing is.

I'm still not in love with the mag-strips thingy (I can see the tactical uses for it, and it perks up the course design), or Eliminator (which is silly. The old style was much better.) But it's well worth the coin.

WipEout HD (PS3 PSN)
I know literaly nothing about this, but I believe it to be a selection of classic tracks and ships in glorious HD, using a perked-up Pulse engine.

And if that's true, I'm buying a PS3.

ben0207 on

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    WipEout XL is considered the best in the series in the U.S. Because, you know... it is. However, you are correct that Wip3out SE was better, but again, EU only.

Also, no WipEout thread is complete without the best WipEout controller ever made.

negcon.jpg

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The first WipEout was on the Saturn too, that's what I played it on.

Is there not one I should play on the PS2? No PS3 or PSP...

LewieP on
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I bought Wipeout Fusion but it just didn't click with me, I still remember playing WipEout, Rollcage and S.C.A.R.S. on my playstation and being all "Wohoo!"

Impersonator on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    The first WipEout was on the Saturn too, that's what I played it on.

Is there not one I should play on the PS2? No PS3 or PSP...

W3 SE or 2097. Don't bother with Fusion.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    JorilJoril BelgiumRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Ah, I remember the Wipeout 2097 demo for pc running on my Diamond Monster 3dfx card, I remember being floored by it's graphics.
    It's been a long time.
    Afterwards (like two years ago) I got the PS1 version on ebay.

That's about it.

I am curious what the PS3 version will do, though.
    And why not bring it to pc. (sorry ;) )

Joril on
    bonesnacksig.jpg
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    there was a great trailer for wipeout HD put up recently that again shows the really chic aesthetic sensibilities and soundtrack choices that have always defined wipeout... it's looking good, i'll go out of my way to grab it for sure

luckily going out of my way to grab it won't involve so much as leaving the couch

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    prawnstar69prawnstar69 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I thought Fusion was aight. I had the special edition holographic case.

I also have the original PS1 game, which I agree is better by far.

prawnstar69 on
    Bana84.png
  • Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The developers need to get up off their asses and release the DLC for Pulse in NA already.

Kreutz on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Joril wrote: »

Isn't it owned by Sony these days?

At the very least, published by them.

LewieP on
  • Options
    victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    WipEout HD might be the final incentive that will make me get a PS3.

It needs to be good. Please, be good!

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • Options
    BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I loved Fusion, fuck you OP.

also there was some garbage N64 game you forgot to mention.

I personally think 3 (at least the version we got over here) was just missing something. It just felt so bland.

winknh5.jpg

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ICRICR Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    victor_c26 wrote: »
    WipEout HD might be the final incentive that will make me get a PS3.

It needs to be good. Please, be good!

Ditto. 2097 sold me the PS1, and I didn't end up picking up a PS2 because Fusion was apparently shite.

WipeOut HD and MGS4 might be enough to push me to the dark side. :)

ICR on
  • Options
    hyperpowerhyperpower Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Being a Wipeout fan from way back.
    I personally think 2097 is better than Wip3out - better soundtrack and tracks IMHO

I never played the ps2 one but it doesnt sound like I missed anything. I really, really need to pick it up for my psp.

hyperpower on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I have wipeout pure and I'm really really bad at it.

It feels so different from driving. Is there something I'm missing. Does anyone have a guide to wipeout racing physics for a noob. I'd love to learn to drive in this game, but since I'm so bad and get no enjoyment and I'm only playing it to kill time on long trips I tend to take something else.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    The main trick is to learn to use airbrakes to bank around corners, and don't be afraid to let of the accelerator when you need to. Always take the safest route rather than go out of your way for speed pads.

And play about in Time Trials to find thw right ship for you. For beginners I recommend the FEISAR. You won't get great lap times but you will actually finish!

edit for Basticle: W3 Normal Edition is missing something - about 8 tracks and a bunch of Prototypes. But the physics are probably the best yet.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Air brakes don't work the same as normal handbrakes do they?

Should I be thinking of this as like, elongated drifting, in that I start airbraking before I normally do?

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Give it little feather touches (both the accel and AB as needed) as you move along the racing line. Don't just slam on them and hope the ship will carry on it's momentum, as they don't really. Try to bring the back end round so you're in a straigh line as you clear the corner, then hammer the accel again.

The only exception are 90 degree turns, which happen rarely but when they do they only advice I can give to you is to panic and keep practicing.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Is the racing line noticeably different from a cars though? I'm really slow at learning brand new skills, which is why this is affecting me so badly.
    I'll try feathering using my normal line in some time trial using the FEISAR and see how it goes. Thanks for the advices.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I personally like Pure way better than Pulse for the PSP. They're both good,b ut pulse just feels..I don't know..wrong. And overall not as polished as pure.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Is the racing line noticeably different from a cars though? I'm really slow at learning brand new skills, which is why this is affecting me so badly.
    I'll try feathering using my normal line in some time trial using the FEISAR and see how it goes. Thanks for the advices.

Not that different. A lot nearer the inside and without so much correction afterwards or before. WipEout ships are much faster in a straight line, so the trick is to keep as straigh a line as possible.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Ohhhh I get it now. (Just tried a track) You gotta brake in the middle of the turn, not before. I would try to handbrakey before the turn, smack into the wall, get confused, then on the next corner not touch the airbrake and smack the outside corner.
    Now I let myself get too goddam close to the outside corner that my head is screaming "the brake wont stop me from hitting" but hey it does. That's neat. Thanks ben.

Also the inside line helped too. These things handle much more sharply than they seem like they would, being hovercars. Pretty neat.

edit: Haha I just cut my ghost time by eight seconds as I picked up the correct line to take over the laps. Go Ben.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    What I've always thought about the handling of Wipeout cars is that you're in a rocket with no physical brakes. Theres no way to stop your craft, only slow down either the right or left side of it.

Because theres no way to stop, you've gotta take the line that conserves the most speed. If you're slamming on both airbrakes before a corner, you're going about it the wrong way. Its about taking the corner wide, easing in your craft with regular controls where you're going slight wide of the apex, then nipping in with the inner airbrake to kiss the apex and get a good angle to release all turning variables and go straight.

Like regular racing, its all about getting the late apex :) You've just gotta go about getting there differently.

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Wipeout XL was amazing.
    My love affair with Red Bull began then.
    I seem to remember Future Sound of London being a big part of the soundtrack.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Yeah I realised on the last few laps that the airbrake pulls you drastically in that direction, and that trying to use it like a handbrake is why I'm smashing into the wall I'm pulling into. :lol:

Morninglord on
  • Options
    JorilJoril BelgiumRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008

Maybe, I don't really know.
    But Sony makes pc's, I have on of those vaio bastards, they can't deny it.

Joril on
    bonesnacksig.jpg
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Wipeout HD will be my first Wipeout game. Woop.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Maybe, I don't really know.
    But Sony makes pc's, I have on of those vaio bastards, they can't deny it.

They bought out Psygnosis just after 2097. WO hgames are made by the same team, but now known as SCEE Liverpool now.

I tried out a Triakis last night. Jesus fuck is it fast than the Qirex I'm used to. My laps are all about 2 seconds faster now.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Really does make me want a PS3. What will likely happen it will be the Dead Rising of this console for me. I will wait to buy the PS3 until some more large games come out but Wipeout will be the first thing I actually buy and play.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    bsjezz wrote: »
    there was a great trailer for wipeout HD put up recently that again shows the really chic aesthetic sensibilities and soundtrack choices that have always defined wipeout... it's looking good, i'll go out of my way to grab it for sure

luckily going out of my way to grab it won't involve so much as leaving the couch

oh fuck yeah that looks awesome

Urian on
  • Options
    Eight RooksEight Rooks Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Loved WipEout since the first game, though I never did play Fusion. And I've never finished any of the games or got particularly skilled at any because, you know, they're just so terrifyingly hardcore. Nonetheless, Pure and Pulse were two reasons I bought a PSP and even if I can only play PS3 games in blurry SD-o-vision I'll still pick HD up.

I don't know what it is about WipEout as a whole - I mean, speed laps/time trials basically equate to "fly X perfect laps while hitting every single speed pad on the track and finding racing lines you wouldn't dream existed" and I loathe Burning Laps in Burnout. I loathe games demanding perfection and not admitting they're demanding perfection, I loathe games that force you to race at breakneck, inhuman, 99.9% uncontrollable speeds, I loathe games that turn into "USE THE FORCE, LUKE" the moment you hit the throttle... But somehow when I do sit down with WipEout I get sucked into chipping away at my times before I even realise it. :P

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

Read my book. (It has a robot in it.)
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Loved WipEout since the first game, though I never did play Fusion. And I've never finished any of the games or got particularly skilled at any because, you know, they're just so terrifyingly hardcore. Nonetheless, Pure and Pulse were two reasons I bought a PSP and even if I can only play PS3 games in blurry SD-o-vision I'll still pick HD up.

I don't know what it is about WipEout as a whole - I mean, speed laps/time trials basically equate to "fly X perfect laps while hitting every single speed pad on the track and finding racing lines you wouldn't dream existed" and I loathe Burning Laps in Burnout. I loathe games demanding perfection and not admitting they're demanding perfection, I loathe games that force you to race at breakneck, inhuman, 99.9% uncontrollable speeds, I loathe games that turn into "USE THE FORCE, LUKE" the moment you hit the throttle... But somehow when I do sit down with WipEout I get sucked into chipping away at my times before I even realise it. :P

Yeah. I can race my own ghost in wipeout pure. Standard feature and all that, but I don't actually play that many racing games.

Now that I found that out, I'm basically doomed.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    TrevorTrevor Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Huh, all this time I never realized that the E was capitalized. Also, I can't figure out why the hell the E would need to be capitalized.

Trevor on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Trevor wrote: »
    Huh, all this time I never realized that the E was capitalized. Also, I can't figure out why the hell the E would need to be capitalized.

To be hIp and edGy.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I enjoyed the pulse demo on the psp I'm just waiting for a sale or something.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Trevor wrote: »

To be hIp and edGy.

puh l3ase

that came out looking like puh base.... It was supposed to be "puh-lease"

:x

LewieP on
  • Options
    TrevorTrevor Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So, it has no effect on the pronunciation? That's good, I was worried I had been embarrassing myself for years for not pronouncing it "Wip-E-Out". Which coincidentally sounds like a command from a sexually frustrated Southerner and probably would have made for a more entertaining game.

Trevor on
  • Options
    Darius BlackDarius Black Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Baby got an atom bomb.:whistle:

Darius Black on
    Quick, quiet, confident
    Comfortable, permanent
    Undisputed, every tense
    Not a trace of what went left
    More equal than the best
    Unparalleled success
    Everybody, V-impressed
  • Options
    SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    God, I played the fucking shit out of the first Wipeout (fuck you, capital "e"). Did it really come out in 94? Because that means I'd have been about nine years old, and I dunno.

But man... that and Colony Wars... and FF7.. and MGS. Jesus christ I miss those days. Even that shitty Wing Commander game that had Luke Skywalker.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Seeks wrote: »
    God, I played the fucking shit out of the first Wipeout (fuck you, capital "e"). Did it really come out in 94? Because that means I'd have been about nine years old, and I dunno.

But man... that and Colony Wars... and FF7.. and MGS. Jesus christ I miss those days. Even that shitty Wing Commander game that had Luke Skywalker.

Yep, if you doubt the age, if you watch the old movie Hackers back when angelina was still attractive, the game she 'plays' was an early pre-render concept for the original wipeout game. gf-eng101.gif

I should really try out a copy of wipeout se, I've only ever had XL and the original for my ps. It's still my favourite racing game, it handles like a dream, it actually felt fast, and drifting/sliding along rails is awesome. Nothing like that KSHHH sound when you're leaving a turn and kiss the railing near max speed.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yep, WipEout was one of the first games I bought for the Playstation back in '95.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.