As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sex & The City: Estrogen Fest 2008!!!

LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
edited June 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
My ex got me into watching HBO's Sex & The City years ago and at first I thought it was gay but the drama, humor, wit and the familiar characters drew me in quickly. I have a friend who is like Carrie Bradshaw, approaching 40, picky and still single because of it.

Saw the film with the gf yesterday as I owe her for taking her to Indiana Jones and Speed Racer. I swear the theater was filled with women and there was from my count about 5 or so guys, including me. It was enjoyable, stayed true to the series, and tied everything up with a neat little knot.

Anybody else see it?

DISCUSS!!!

LondonBridge on

• Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I saw it and loved it! I didn't know if anyone else here saw it so I didn't want to make a thread. Brave man you are.
    While I loved a lot of is, I was upset Samantha broke up with Smith. When that scene came on I yelled out "YOU WHORE!" in anger. I also felt bad for Steve (though I don't condone his cheating). And I wish they would re-do the opening, I do miss the old theme and while it was present for a couple of seconds, I hated that pop music that they chose instead.

AND I WANTED MORE CHAROLETTE! And Anthony and Stanford seemed to have gotten shafted a bit as well.

Mim on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Well seeing how the thread isn't very popular I say... screw spoilers!!

Anyways, I felt extra bad for Steve as well and even as a guy I saw a lot of my life in the male characters. A mix of Big and Steve if you will, sad... The show is full of glam but it really portrays people in a real light with true faults and such.

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    It does. I know my relationship closely resembles the Miranda/Steve relationship
    (minus the cheating)
    where the girl is more dominant and your attention is required in so many different areas that you feel like you're failing at all of them.

I don't really mind this thread not being so popular, because the idiots on imdb.com keep making threads about this show/movie ruining woman kind. Ugh, women like sex, that's all there is to it.

Mim on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I love the series, but am not comfortable enough to go into a cinema and ask for tickets to this without making it look like I was dragged along by a domineering girlfriend.

Tav on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Tav wrote: »
    I love the series, but am not comfortable enough to go into a cinema and ask for tickets to this without making it look like I was dragged along by a domineering girlfriend.

When I went, three teenage guys went together to see the flick. One of them said his sister made him watch some of the series and if he could he'd make Samantha is wife because she was a freak. Don't feel the need for a domineering girlfriend, see it yourself.

Mim on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It was gay?

should I see it?

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    It was gay?

should I see it?

It wasn't gay. I think the gay characters got supremely shafted storyline wise.

Should you see it though? Hell yes. I plan to see it again tomorrow with my sister and again with my boyfriend.

Mim on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    The show had its moments but for some reason made me feel icky

I'll probably watch this eventually, maybe at dvd rental prices

Medopine on
  • Options
    Skelly BSkelly B Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I've only seen the syndicated version of Sex and the City. It's ok, but I suspect I'm somehow missing everything that made the show popular.

It seems silly that anyone should miss something they are interested in because the 17-year-old selling the ticket might judge them.

Skelly B on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2008
    SPOILERS dammit.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Skelly B wrote: »
    I've only seen the syndicated version of Sex and the City. It's ok, but I suspect I'm somehow missing everything that made the show popular.

Yeah, you're missing the "Sex" and getting the "and the City". Or hell, just the "and the" not even "City".

I think that will be my first purchase when I get a job, all six seasons of "Sex and the City". My parents have the seasons, but some of the discs have gone missing since we've moved several times over.

Mim on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It's fun hearing my female friends talking about this movie, since they're basically geeking up like me and my friends would be about alot of movies.
    And from what I heard, the reaction in theatres are very similar too.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Mim wrote: »
    It was gay?

should I see it?

Should you see it though? Hell yes. I plan to see it again tomorrow with my sister and again with my boyfriend.

Shocking, really. Despite it's 'forward thinking' I always hated how it portrayed its gay characters.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It was gay?

should I see it?

It wasn't gay. I think the gay characters got supremely shafted

:winky:

Tav on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    It was gay?

should I see it?

Shocking, really. Despite it's 'forward thinking' I always hated how it portrayed its gay characters.

I loved Anthony and Stanford (Anthony more so) and wouldn't change them, but I would think they'd have meatier story lines. Sometimes the episodes lead me to believe that they were going to be integrated more and more into the story, but they weren't.
    And what the hell happened to Stanford's boyfriend?

Mim on
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm a guy that got roped into going to it as well. From my brief views of the show, it was pretty much a 2 1/2 hour long episode of the show.

Having said that, my wife and I have been having a good debate on Miranda and Steve. spoilered just in case
    She claims she was totally blindsided by Steve sleeping with someone else. I'm flabbergasted because I'm like, "hun, she treated him like shit. She blew him off for SIX MONTHS."
    But she claims she totally didn't see it that way.
    So far, I think I've chalked it up to guys vs girls point of view.

Thoughts?

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KonovaKonova Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I don't really mind this thread not being so popular, because the idiots on imdb.com keep making threads about this show/movie ruining woman kind. Ugh, women like sex, that's all there is to it.

Fortunately, the posters at imdb.com need not despair, for they are not alone. They have noble allies like the one discussed here...

I'm not a fan, have only watched a barebone few episodes (won't be seeing the movie), and even though the series may be, by all means, flawed, it does seem to attract a lot of unwarranted denigration.

Konova on
    "It's not murder, it's surprise death!"
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Single Female Lawyerrrrrrr, having lots of sex!

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    When I was younger, I would occasionally watch a few episodes when I was certain I wouldn't be caught. What we have here is a case of false advertisement. It's not fappable at all. And why so much exposition?

I'm sure it stands on its own as a good show, but it will never overcome the disappointment of a thirteen year old boy with a boner.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It was gay?

should I see it?

It's your Citizen Kane!

(Ask your boy).

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • Options
    MurphyMurphy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm surprised there is a thread about it at all here. But pleasantly so. I saw it Saturday morning with a friend. Both male, both gay, though we were not the only guys there by any stretch. I actually had a funny moment running out to grab a soda before the movie had started. Two girls were walking in and the one was saying "Well, I told him he could come, but that he'd be the only...guy...there..." as she saw me. Silly misconceptions!

Anyway, I really enjoyed it. I suppose I can see where people feel it was just a really long episode, but what exactly were they expecting? I was looking for an opportunity to catch back up with some old friends and see how they were doing, not be witness to some sweeping epic. SATC doesn't do sweeping epics.

Character wise, I found Carrie much more relatable, likable and adult this go round. There were times in the final season of the show that I thought she needed to grow up and stop being such an asshole. I was seriously happy for Charlotte. I know some have said that she didn't get much story, but I think she did ok. The stuff she got was quality. Miranda disappointed me. I guess I could see where she was coming from, but I hated that she took forever to take responsibility from her side in all of that. I totally saw where Samantha was coming from, and I'm glad that she left Smith as he was now. Back at the series end, they made sense. But not a few years later.

I don't really want to talk about Anthony and Stanford. They were obviously tossed in there because fans were expecting them, but where was the continuity?

Murphy on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    My wife and her friend are going this weekend, which is just fine with me...I'll stay home and play Age of Conan, maybe rent Cloverfield on DVD. As far as I'm concerned, the only positive aspect of that show was that Kristin Davis is hot, and she showed her boobs once.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Cantido wrote: »

Parody of a different show.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008

I believe Miranda got laid the least in the entire series...
    She claims she was totally blindsided by Steve sleeping with someone else. I'm flabbergasted because I'm like, "hun, she treated him like shit. She blew him off for SIX MONTHS."
    But she claims she totally didn't see it that way.
    So far, I think I've chalked it up to guys vs girls point of view.
    Ok, I was writing this really long response but it didn't make sense. So let me see if I can just break it down to points:

- Steve wasn't the cheating type in the series. Miranda has known Steve for about ...hmm..8 or 9 years? Married to him for the last four, and Steve is a pretty decent human being.
    - This is more of a question but uh...six months of no sex...do people cheat if they go six months without sex?!
    - Miranda was always mean to Steve, and Steve has been mean to Miranda. Miranda though, as far as I could tell was the one who changed the most out of the relationship so I think people will feel bad for her more because she really had been trying and when she's trying to have it all she probably thought she was doing an ok job. The time they were having sex and Miranda said "Can we hurry it up?" was probably the only time they talked about their issues seriously. Then he cheated. Little more warning would have worked.
    Character wise, I found Carrie much more relateable, likable and adult this go round. There were times in the final season of the show that I thought she needed to grow up and stop being such an asshole.

GOD YES. Carrie, oh man...sometimes, no quite often I hated the fact that the show revolved around her so much (I like Sarah Jessica Parker, but she could share the lime light a little more with the other ladies). I wanted to punch Carrie into submission sometimes. When I was younger I really liked her and all of my friends would be like "Ohhh, you're so Carrie!" I really fucking hope not. I found her much less annoying in the movie than in the show.

In season 6 I thought she was getting better, but then she slipped back into her old ways. I'm glad they made he redeemable. Though
    And I can't really fault her for this, but I think she should have given Big a chance to explain himself. It was only 5 minutes, he was coming back to the wedding!

Mim on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

I believe Miranda got laid the least in the entire series...

But she had her asshole licked!! That was a funny episode, especially Charlotte's reaction.

Oh yeah, Charlotte is my favorite but I think she'd be the one I couldn't date in real life. Too much with baby craziness!!

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    oldsakoldsak Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I think it was too long. They probably could of cut it by about 30 minutes without losing anything. Several of the scenes seemed to drag on for no reason. At points it reminded me of that ridiculously long ending to Return of the King, albeit not as bad.

oldsak on
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Am I the only one who is indifferent to the whole feminism aspect of this movie and is simply turned off by another episode of "Tales of Rich People and their 'Problems'"

I'm sure if I went to see this movie, I would probably enjoy it. I'm sure the whole thing has a lot of good moments in it and that overall I would enjoy myself.

I'm not going to watch this movie, but its for the same reason I don't watch One Tree Hill or The OC or Gossip Girl, etc. Not because it's a chick flick

VoodooV on
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Are we being serious?

Is this thread serious?

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    Skelly BSkelly B Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    VoodooV wrote: »
    I'm not going to watch this movie, but its for the same reason I don't watch ... Gossip Girl, etc. Not because it's a chick flick

gossip girl is enjoyable because it is completely ridiculous, not because it is 'serious rich people business'
    Please tell me that you don't write of Cruel Intentions for the same reason.

Skelly B on
  • Options
    T-BirdT-Bird Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    having hated the series I watched the movie and continued to hate it; only for longer than normal, in an uncomfey chair, and paying far too much for popcorn. The charcters continue to annoy me, The things we do for love.

T-Bird on
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Nah Cruel Intentions is awesome and I need to see it again sometime.

Words fail me atm for why I like Cruel Intentions and not Sex and the City..etc.

Though if I were attempt to describe the difference I would say that maybe it's because Cruel Intentions isn't quite so introspective? But as I write this, I ponder if saying that is just a fancy way of saying that I find Sarah Jessica Parker's narration annoying

VoodooV on
  • Options
    DukiDuki Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Am I the only one who is indifferent to the whole feminism aspect of this movie and is simply turned off by another episode of "Tales of Rich People and their 'Problems'"

I'm sure if I went to see this movie, I would probably enjoy it. I'm sure the whole thing has a lot of good moments in it and that overall I would enjoy myself.

I'm not going to watch this movie, but its for the same reason I don't watch One Tree Hill or The OC or Gossip Girl, etc. Not because it's a chick flick

Rich People problems are far more entertaining than poor people ones. Poor people all have the same problems, oh we can't pay the bills, oh we're in debt, oh our son is in prison for car jacking and our dad beats us.

Rich people are fucked up man. Do crazy shit. much more entertaining.

Duki on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Are we being serious?

Is this thread serious?

Why wouldn't it be serious?
    But she had her asshole licked!! That was a funny episode, especially Charlotte's reaction.

It was pretty funny, but I considered Charlotte brave for having tossed her husband's salad.

I don't watch "One Tree Hill" or "The OC" but I do watch "Gossip Girl" and only because it's so...outrageous that I couldn't help but watch.

I wouldn't consider the women from "Sex and the City" to be...rich, I guess. They did talk about financial issues in one episode, but for the most part, half the women worked really hard and for a long time for their money (Miranda and Samantha), Charlotte lived in an average apartment before marrying her ex-husband and got the Park Avenue apartment in a divorce settlement and having her new husband, a lawyer, move in with her (I don't think he had a place at the time) and Carrie...ok Carrie was ALWAYS in debt during the series, and while they didn't talk about her financial situation that much, Carrie continued to work in the movie and had a couple of books under her belt to support herself financially. She got $25,000 in a book advance (from France!) in season six, so I assume she was making a lot of money with the subsequent follow ups to her original book "Sex and the City".

Income was also the reason why Steve and Miranda broke up the first time during the series. Steve couldn't handle that Miranda made more then him, a bartender.

The point I'm trying to make (I think) is that the issues the girls faced with are not "Omg, I just realized my Prada dress has a wrinkle! I don't even know how to iron!" but they deal with things that EVERYONE deals with at one time or another and their income is hardly brought up (but when you consider their jobs lawyer and public relations it explains how they make their money). Most of the problems center around love, and if you don't believe that everyone deals with those problems, I suggest you check out H/A. All of those problems over there you can find on Sex and the City but from women's perspectives, who work and often put themselves into debt to get certain things (...like Carrie does). Also in the movie Carrie explains that writing about her friends often allowed her to eat, showing she at some point was in dire financial situations.

Mim on
  • Options
    MurphyMurphy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Skelly B wrote: »
    I'm not going to watch this movie, but its for the same reason I don't watch ... Gossip Girl, etc. Not because it's a chick flick

gossip girl is enjoyable because it is completely ridiculous, not because it is 'serious rich people business'
    Please tell me that you don't write of Cruel Intentions for the same reason.

So much truth right there. If you aren't reading Jacob's recaps of Gossip Girl at Television Without Pity (he also does BSG which are equally awesome), you are missing out.

Mim:
    I felt the same way. I mean, doesn't every wedding start late?

Also, first and last season OC was comparable to Gossip Girl. Same people made the show, after all. Until Blair Waldorf I didn't think I could <3 a TV character as much as Taylor Townsend.

Also, re: SATC - A lot of people make a big deal about how the show was all about sex, and how these women were sluts (I'm looking at you, Lauren Hutton), but really they spent most of their time looking for love, and none of them had that many sexual encounters outside of the confines of a relationship save for Samantha.

Murphy on