As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Recommend On] PC Speakers

Grizzly_AddamsGrizzly_Addams Registered User, ClubPA regular
So for about the past 6 years I've been using a pair of Altec Lansing ATP3 PC Speakers. They are 2.1.

alatp3rr9.jpg

When I originally bought them they were very clear, with very loud bass. For one reason or another, the bass has become muddled and (maybe partially due to the sound configuration on my PC?) speakers become very staticy when turned up to a rock and roll level. Lastly, and probably most annoyingly, they pick up interference from my wireless Optical Mouse, no matter where I place the receiver.

I want to upgrade. But the demo units in big box stores (Best Buy, etc) always sound like crap.

I would like to go to 5.1 but I'm not sure if there is much of a reason too, as I don't think I'll be able to situate two speakers behind me. Does that mean it's not worth it?

I'm not picky on brand, although Altec Lansing and Logitech are the only ones I've had personal experience with. I really only have two requirements. Price needs to be around $150 or less. (Might be willing to go $200 depending on features/quality but less is always preferred) and Optical Input. And I'm not sure if this even exists, but two optical inputs would be great, so I don't have to go through some whole rigamaro to hook up but my 360 and PC like I have now.

Recommend away!

Dr+Bongenstein.png
Grizzly_Addams on

• Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I use Logitech Z-680s. Might be a little hard to find these days and a tiny bit above your price range, but they're fantastic. They're TXH certified, do ProLogic II/Dolby Digital/DTS, and have an optical and coaxial input along with standard computer inputs. Not sure if there's anything in the dedicated computer speaker market with two optical inputs, if you want that you may have to go the receiver and speakers route and that's going to be more expensive.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    Grizzly_AddamsGrizzly_Addams Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    brynstar wrote: »
    I use Logitech Z-680s. Might be a little hard to find these days and a tiny bit above your price range, but they're fantastic. They're TXH certified, do ProLogic II/Dolby Digital/DTS, and have an optical and coaxial input along with standard computer inputs. Not sure if there's anything in the dedicated computer speaker market with two optical inputs, if you want that you may have to go the receiver and speakers route and that's going to be more expensive.

May be worth mentioning my sound card has optical and coax out so Coax for PC and optical for 360 should be fine.

Grizzly_Addams on
    Dr+Bongenstein.png
  • Options
    AshendarkAshendark Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I use:
    logitech_z-5500.jpg

The Logitech Z-5500 is very nice for the price. Can find it online for $200-$250ish. I saw it in best buy once for $400. I lol'd.

You may want to research some speaker sets then look around online or where ever for deals on those sets.

Ashendark on
    Ashendark.gif
  • Options
    Rigor MortisRigor Mortis Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You want quality sound for <$150 , grab a pair of Behringer MS40s

41aivlzJkYL._SS500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-MS40-Digital-Monitor-Speakers/dp/B000PXSBTY/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1212465462&sr=8-2

They're a little large, but that only helps them rape any multimedia speakers for twice the price. And if you have SPDIF out on your sound card, these babies have a quite nice DAC built in.

Rigor Mortis on
  • Options
    frrserfrrser __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    Ashendark wrote: »
    I use:

The Logitech Z-5500 is very nice for the price. Can find it online for $200-$250ish. I saw it in best buy once for $400. I lol'd.

You may want to research some speaker sets then look around online or where ever for deals on those sets.

Definitely agree. I just received this Logitech Z-5500 for a few days, it's for $215 at a deal site

http://www.dealstudio.com/searchdeals.php?deal_id=106260&ru=290

I bought these not know what to expect. After setting them up and pumping some heavy Dubstep music through them, i knew they were the speakers for me. They handle all bass lines crisp and clear. The 5 other speakers really push the push home the highs. perfect system

frrser on
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    i almost bought some speakers but instead i splurged and bought some Sennheiser headphones

i would recommend anything Sennheiser makes over any computer speakers ever made.

The only downside is the 10' radius i have with the cables, but the sound is perfect even with the worst mp3s... a la itunes and myspace and even youtube songs.

http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones/sennheiser-hd-600/4505-7877_7-6899581.html

Barcardi on
  • Options
    KarrmerKarrmer Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Want the best 5.1 sound ever for a reasonable price?

Sennheiser headphones

(HD600 or something preferred)

edit: Haha, didn't realize that guy linked to the HD600s even. They're amazing in ways one couldn't imagine.

Karrmer on
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Wait, 5.1... headphones?

... what?

That doesn't make any sense to me, but color me intrigued! What, does it just fake it somehow or are there actually somehow more speakers crammed in there or what?

(please note that when it comes to audio I have the intelligence of a five year old)

Ledneh on
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    pretty much not even the HD600 ones, anything Sennheiser is better than regular computer speakers.
    Ledneh wrote: »
    Wait, 5.1... headphones?

... what?

That doesn't make any sense to me, but color me intrigued! What, does it just fake it somehow or are there actually somehow more speakers crammed in there?

you must try them to fully understand

also possibly go deaf in a year because they are so awesome you just cannot take them off... i am actually talking about the sennheiser HD 202 now i just realized

Barcardi on
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Now I can affirm that Sennheiser makes fucking wicked headphones, I have an HD280 Pro set that I use for pretty much everything and they are wonderful. I wish so much I could use them at the gym... too heavy though, and sweat and the padding don't mix. But I digress

Though they are stereo headphones (I didn't even know there was an alternative!) so I have to change my computer from 5.1 to Headphone in the control panel to hear everything (and of course I lose a lot of directionality as a result). Wish I could afford to try out these "5.1" headphones.

Ledneh on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Ledneh wrote: »
    Now I can affirm that Sennheiser makes fucking wicked headphones, I have an HD280 Pro set that I use for pretty much everything and they are wonderful. I wish so much I could use them at the gym... too heavy though, and sweat and the padding don't mix. But I digress

Though they are stereo headphones (I didn't even know there was an alternative!) so I have to change my computer from 5.1 to Headphone in the control panel to hear everything (and of course I lose a lot of directionality as a result). Wish I could afford to try out these "5.1" headphones.

go to a bose store and try out a pair of theirs if they have any (not sure) and then just assume that sennheisers are 1000% better

Barcardi on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    They aren't really "5.1" though there are headphones that pretend to be that.

But ... well, I really need to find it, but there are some audio files that I can dig up that you can play on any MP3 player with almost any pair of headphones on that can show what I mean.

One is some file of someone shaking a book of matches, and I swear you can hear the guy shaking the match book in front of you, behind you, on top, left right upper leftish all around. Like it's.. weird.

Headphones are amazing. 5.1 is best in a room where you're far from the screen and can set the speakers up properly.

Karrmer on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    http://weblog.404creative.com/index.php/2007/06/03/auditory-illusions-holophonic-recordings/

Click play next to "A matchbox." Prepare to be blown away.

edit: all 3 are pretty insane though. Never heard the virtual haircut but wow, that is also ridiculous

Karrmer on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    http://www.quietamerican.org/field_vietnam.html

is better + more + diff countries

Barcardi on
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I was going to recommend Altec Lansing ATP3 PC Speakers. They are 2.1. I'm not exactly sure this is a helpful suggestion.

On the upside mine are still going strong, only the bass fades because of a bad connection every so often.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I use the Logitech Z-2300 here.

I have no complaints in the slightest, it was a massive improvement in sound quality from my old speakers.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Still using the logitech/creative fps 2000 digital :P

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    GrimReaper wrote: »
    I use the Logitech Z-2300 here.

I have no complaints in the slightest, it was a massive improvement in sound quality from my old speakers.

I agree. They are the best bang for the buck 2.1 set out there IMO.

powersurge on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I can't recall seeing any PC speakers with 2 optical inputs. The z-5500s have 1 optical, 1 coax, and a 3xRCA that can also function as 3 separate stereo inputs. If you want to use PC speakers for 360/PS3 5.1, you're going to need a Dolby Digital decoder as well. The z-5500s have that ability built-in, but a lot of other PC speakers don't. Without it, you'll be limited to stereo upmixed to surround.

Your other option would be an external decoder like the Creative DDTS-100, which has 3 optical inputs and the ability to handle DD 5.1 and DTS. However, these seem to go for well over $100 if you can even find one. At that point you're probably better off just going with a full-on receiver to handle your decoding needs.

Avoid headphones if 5.1 is important to you. Any 5.1 speaker set can upmix stereo into "virtual" surround, although $200 Sennheiser cans will sound better than $80 PC speakers. With either you'll hear sound coming from behind you, but what you won't hear are discrete channels of sound coming from Rear-Left and Rear-Right.

If you're not going for a full 5.1/6.1/7.1 surround setup, though, then just go for the best stereo solution you can afford. If you can't situate the rears to where you're actually getting a surround experience, then you might as well focus on sound quality instead.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    HD-140 Sennheiser headphones. Live the dream.

(Good quality, wireless... It's like being liberated. Then again I live in a small box basically, so don't want to piss my neighbors off).

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Hmmm, upon returning to this thread I feel I should mention that the Behringer MS40s I recommended earlier happen to have optical inputs (as well as SPDIF and two analog inputs)

I also always, always, suggest stereo setups because for any given amount of money, you can get better sound quality if you buy fewer speakers. This is not even taking into account the inherent design flaws in every 5+.1 multimedia speaker system I've ever seen. (e.g. that the satellites are never large enough to be physically capable of reproducing the entire frequency spectrum properly. This not only lowers the quality of the sound, it forces the unloading of midrange frequencies onto the sub, which messes up frequency balance and lessens the accuracy of the spatial positioning... which was the whole purpose in the first place)

The Behringers don't come with a sub, but like I said, they're larger than most multimedia speakers. This gives the woofers much better bass extension than computer speakers have. Less shake-the-room than a sub, sure, but far more accurate sound.

Rigor Mortis on
  • Options
    InsanityInsanity Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Seeing as I'm after a decent pair of headphones, this seems like a good place to ask!

Is it actually possible to get 'surround' from headphones? As in being able to place where sounds are coming from in a game? I know from experience it makes a world of difference playing first person shooters.

Insanity on
    gBpkw.jpg
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The traditional 3.5mm RCA plug that most headphones use is limited to stereo, and you'll be hard-pressed to find a soundcard that outputs a 5.1 signal over a single 3.5mm plug as well.

There are true surround headphones, but they often connect through USB, such as the LTB Magnum MG51 or Mentor RCH001. Going through USB can enable 5.1 output on normally 2.0-limited laptops, or even computers with no soundcard at all, as the decoder/amp is located inside the headset itself.

Others, like the Zalman Ultimate Gaming Headphones, use 3xRCA 3.5mm plugs, or the Razer HP-1 which uses a proprietary HD-DAI (looks like a DVI plug) connection that goes with Razer's line of soundcards. Note that these are mostly going to be gaming-style headsets (including mic) rather than headphones only.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Insanity wrote: »
    Seeing as I'm after a decent pair of headphones, this seems like a good place to ask!

Is it actually possible to get 'surround' from headphones? As in being able to place where sounds are coming from in a game? I know from experience it makes a world of difference playing first person shooters.
    Since headphones are binaural, not stereo (that is to say, each channel is completely seperated from the other when it reaches your ears), any spatial effect at all can be created with only two stereo channels. Two ears, two channels.

The real question is whether the surround effects and playback are mixed and coded properly. Properly coded headphone effects are beyond the capabilities of any current speaker setup, and can be reproduced with any pair of headphones, whether marketed as 5.1 or not.

Rigor Mortis on
  • Options
    exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I just wanted to chime in with a speaker set recommendation. Pioneer Xbox 360 5.1 system. Yeah, that's right: xbox 360.

http://reviews.cnet.com/home-theater-systems/pioneer-hts-gs1/4505-6740_7-31879276.html

I paid $100 or so when it was on sale from buy.com. Right now I'm using it as a 2.1 setup since I don't need surround on my desktop. Best PC gaming speakers ever. Optical audio cable is a huge improvement over the stupid 3.5mm plugs that in some cases you have to twist around in the jack to get full stereo sound from. Oh and they take up very little space (except for the huge subwoofer) so its a very nice desktop setup.

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
  • Options
    gneGnegneGne Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    photo0055ws1.jpg
    photo0055ws1.fd23baa478.jpg

Using my Creative T20 here :). Not the loudest bass, but clear sound in the higher and upper (it has a tweeter) and good for laptop use ^_^

gneGne on
    pasigcopyox6.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I've been looking at other speakers lately (looking for a powerful set of monitors for the home theater) and noticed some other gear that's worth considering for speaker shoppers
    http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=products.family&ID=studiomonitors

Do be aware that while optical connections have the image of quality, in reality they are only advantageous IF the DAC in the receiver is superior to the one in your PC/console OR if there's massive interference in your connection. Specs are probably impossible to find for consumer gear though :(

(Random fact - these are the ones I'm looking at for the Home Theater. Biamped, hand-aligned, frequency diagram included so you know how to set your EQ, bigger driver than a lot of subs, ribbon tweeters, automatic limiter for overload protection, adjustable acoustic properties, automatic standby? YES PLZ http://www.behringer.ca/B3031A/index.cfm?lang=ENG - coming out later this year. They'd work as computer speakers, but don't have any fancy multimedia features like digital inputs)

Rigor Mortis on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    exoplasm wrote: »
    I just wanted to chime in with a speaker set recommendation. Pioneer Xbox 360 5.1 system. Yeah, that's right: xbox 360.

http://reviews.cnet.com/home-theater-systems/pioneer-hts-gs1/4505-6740_7-31879276.html

I paid $100 or so when it was on sale from buy.com. Right now I'm using it as a 2.1 setup since I don't need surround on my desktop. Best PC gaming speakers ever. Optical audio cable is a huge improvement over the stupid 3.5mm plugs that in some cases you have to twist around in the jack to get full stereo sound from. Oh and they take up very little space (except for the huge subwoofer) so its a very nice desktop setup.

This tempts me a good deal. I see one on ebay for 125. Can I mount these speakers on the wall?

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    exoplasm wrote: »

This tempts me a good deal. I see one on ebay for 125. Can I mount these speakers on the wall?

There is a single screw hole on the back, and I believe they came with keyhole pieces to attach. Pretty sure you could wall-mount them with the right kit.

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
  • Options
    Pastoriusk2Pastoriusk2 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MA15DBK/

Digital Inputs too. I've never heard them, but I bet they would sound better than most computer speakers at the same price.

Pastoriusk2 on
  • Options
    SushisourceSushisource Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Karrmer wrote: »
    http://weblog.404creative.com/index.php/2007/06/03/auditory-illusions-holophonic-recordings/

Click play next to "A matchbox." Prepare to be blown away.

edit: all 3 are pretty insane though. Never heard the virtual haircut but wow, that is also ridiculous

Okay these are amazing

Sushisource on
    Some drugee on Kavinsky's 1986
    kavinskysig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MA15DBK/

Digital Inputs too. I've never heard them, but I bet they would sound better than most computer speakers at the same price.

Hey, that set is an excellent selection. Smaller drivers than the Behringer MS40s I posted BUT psychoacoustic bass enhancer AND subwoofer out. Probably the best suggestion yet posted, actually. :^:

Rigor Mortis on
  • Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I can vouch for the Edirol speaker. Even the analogue only ones sound very nice. Compared to other speaker system most of the Edirol speaker have two inputs. Unfortunately I left mine by my parents house before moving.

Currently I am using these:
    JBL Creature II Speaker. For this size the sound they produce is very good. This set might fit well into the desired price range of the original poster.

Dratatoo on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    The Edirols are very nicely reviewed here:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Edirol-MA15D-Digital-Stereo-Micro-Monitor-Pair?sku=603678

I like that the onboard DAC handles sample rates up to 24/192 - if the Xbox 360 upsamples music like the PS3 does, that's a great advantage to these.

Rigor Mortis on