As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[4E D&D] PC Spotlight

MahobinMahobin Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Critical Failures
I've been really enjoying looking at all the characters for the PbPs that are going on here, and I figured people might want to post some of their other characters they've been working on, for a home campaign or whatever. I personally just like to make PCs for fun sometimes, and as optional NPCs if I'm running something. Also since 4E is all new I figured people could give help and corrections if I'm getting any of the rules wrong.

So to start... here's Kesandra Fnag'th, Dwarf Warlock!

I kinda wanted to run with the Lovecraft feel of the warlock, and added in that 'dwarves who dug too deep' thing.
Yah, one of my racials is a dump stat. But this is probably the most excited I've been about a new PC in years. I really think I got some promising stuff to work with.

Any comments/advise/corrections appreciated. And yah I know the background is a wall o' text.

Mahobin on

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I approve of this thread! Might post a character tomorrow.

Vic on
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    As far as fluff goes, all I can think of is earlier versions of Dwarf Fortress. This is the sort of thing you end up with after that "You have dug too deep and greedily!" screen.

Very nice.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Here's a character I've had in my head for a while to use in my home campaign. The world is a home-brew I designed with a friend of mine over the course of a 3.5 campaign that I want to revisit with my group for 4e. I will (hopefully) only be DMing about half the time, and playing this guy as my PC.

The only backstory you really need to know is that the halflings are essentially the Hebrew tribes, and the "Shining Legion" is a Roman Empire/Alexander the Great analogue.

Also, I'm not sure if this is the right thread to ask, but could anyone who has already had a chance to get some real 4e experience let me know if anything is glaringly unplayable about my character?

Edit: Fixed the link.

Fire Truck on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    The idea I had was both show off your characters and also get constructive criticism, so right on.

But you need to enable public permissions on your sheet.

Mahobin on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    crap, sorry.

Fixing it.

Fire Truck on
  • Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Here's a Rogue I made designed to have a large variety of weapons available to him, and dishing out tons of damage really fast. With a name that's obviously a spin-off of Heath Ledger.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=58259

And some backstory.
    Ledge was raised an orphan in Fallcrest, but it was said that his parents were wealthy scholars, and so growing up he was preached ethics and proper etiquette by the authorities. Oddly enough his caretakers never seemed to be well off and his childhood was rather poor, but he accepted it. He put in his share of hard work like everybody else and made a decent honest living. Eventually Ledge stumbled upon clues leading to the realization that his deceased parents were indeed wealthy, and that he has been swindled out of every gold piece to his name by a relative long ago.

Seeing that the preachers of good are no better than the highway robbers, and that there is no true honest non-corrupt profession, Ledge took up being a mercenary in his town. He himself does not follow any code or morals other than his own. He carries out his job as he sees fit; taking out intended individuals as often as turning back on the employers for their wicked ways. Looting what he can, as none of it is honest, and neither is he, and he's come to terms with that. Ledge is still kindhearted, and doesn't blindly spite the obviously innocent. Friendship is valued and company is always welcome. He is good at his job, and so continues to find employment, although often wishing for something more...

ledgeshaded.jpg

TheBog on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    All the numbers seem straight to me. And I really like your concept. The theistic differences in the races is a cool addition in your setting... at first I wondered about a Sling Ranger and then I read the background.

You got me started on an idea for a buddhist Dragonborn Fighter now.

Mahobin on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Glad you liked it.

When thinking up world-building stuff, I tend to rely on real-world analogues, and I thought I'd explore some religious stuff this time round.

That fighter sounds sweet. SHAOLIN DRAGON STYLE

I forgot to mention it, but I like your warlock. Anything that can include the term "they dug too greedily, and too deep" is a big winner for me.

Fire Truck on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Here's my Eladrin Rogue, who I thought of making into a kind of Indiana Jones-style character after looking at all the skills I chose.

Maserati Andrast, Eladrin Rogue
    Init +6 HP 23/23 Bloodied 11 Healing Surge 5 (0 used /7)
    AC 16 Fort 12 Reflex 16 Will 13 Speed 6
    Str 14 (+2) Con 11 (+0) Dex 18 (+4) Int 10 (+0) Wis 12 (+1) Cha 14 (+2)
    'Riposte Strike', 'Sly Flourish', 'Fey Step', 'Torturous Strike', 'Trick Strike'
    Notes

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    TheBog wrote: »
    Here's a Rogue I made designed to have a large variety of weapons available to him, and dishing out tons of damage really fast. With a name that's obviously a spin-off of Heath Ledger.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=58259

And some backstory.
    Ledge was raised an orphan in Fallcrest, but it was said that his parents were wealthy scholars, and so growing up he was preached ethics and proper etiquette by the authorities. Oddly enough his caretakers never seemed to be well off and his childhood was rather poor, but he accepted it. He put in his share of hard work like everybody else and made a decent honest living. Eventually Ledge stumbled upon clues leading to the realization that his deceased parents were indeed wealthy, and that he has been swindled out of every gold piece to his name by a relative long ago.

Seeing that the preachers of good are no better than the highway robbers, and that there is no true honest non-corrupt profession, Ledge took up being a mercenary in his town. He himself does not follow any code or morals other than his own. He carries out his job as he sees fit; taking out intended individuals as often as turning back on the employers for their wicked ways. Looting what he can, as none of it is honest, and neither is he, and he's come to terms with that. Ledge is still kindhearted, and doesn't blindly spite the obviously innocent. Friendship is valued and company is always welcome. He is good at his job, and so continues to find employment, although often wishing for something more...

Seems odd to me that all the classes get Weapon Group proficiencies, except the Rogue, who can use... 5 weapons.

Because a club is just too complex to wield.

I like the char though. I'm a big fan of rogues! One of the things I'm impressed with 4E about is that I'm actually eager to try all the classes. I used to just want to make rogues.

On my rogue I went with shuriken instead of the crossbow, since he's all about collecting knives.

Edit: Cant see your sheet, Goose!

Mahobin on
  • Options
    dscrilladscrilla Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Mahobin wrote: »
    Seems odd to me that all the classes get Weapon Group proficiencies, except the Rogue, who can use... 5 weapons.

Rogues and Wizards have always had their own weapon sets. Wizards need to be worse than anyone. And rouges are too stabby for morningstars.

I can personally vouch for theBog's pc, Heath is a killing machine.

dscrilla on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    dscrilla wrote: »
    Rogues and Wizards have always had their own weapon sets. Wizards need to be worse than anyone. And rogues are too stabby for morningstars.

Another nail in the 4E=WoW coffin.

I missed the wizard weapon selection, haven't made one yet.

Mahobin on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I fixed it, sheet's public.

And is that the coffin where the idea that 4E is likened to WoW is buried? Or is that the coffin containing 4E because it is like WoW, Mahobin? I'm not saying it is, just asking how you mean that.

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    So, I went a little crazy and made the same Rogue posted above into a level 30 Rogue:

Maserati Andrast, Eladrin Rogue, Shadow Assassin, Demigod
    Init +24 HP 170/170 Bloodied 85 Healing Surge 42 (0 used /7)
    AC 40 Fort 37 Reflex 42 Will 36 Speed 6
    Str 22 (+21) Con 13 (+16) Dex 28 (+24) Int 12 (+16) Wis 13 (+16) Cha 18 (+19)
    Riposte Strike
    Special: You make one attack roll and you hit if the roll equals or exceeds any of the three defenses
    Hit: 4[W] + Dex damage. Add an extra 1[W] damage if the attack hits two defense. The target is also stunned until the end of your next turn if the attack hits all three defenses

Hurricane of Blood
    Attack: Dex + Str vs. Ac
    Hit: 5[W] + Dex damage

Steel Entrapment
    Close blast 5
    Target: Each enemy in blast you can see
    Attack: Dex vs. Fort
    Hit: 3[W] + Dex damage, and the target is immobilized until the end of your next turn.

Knave's Gambit
    Attack: Dex vs. AC
    Hit: 4[W] + Dex
    Miss: The target makes a melee basic attack as a free action against an adjacent target other than you. You choose the target of its attack.

Assassin's Point
    Hit: 7[W] + Dex damage
    Miss: Half damage.
    Special: If you have combat advantage against the target, double any extra damage from Sneak Attack or a critical hit.

Immobilizing Strike
    Attack: Dex vs. Fort
    Hit: 5[W] + Dex damage, and the target is Immobilized (save ends). If the target succeeds on its saving throw, it is slowed (save ends). Saving throws against these effects take a -5 penalty.
    Miss: Half damage and the target is slowed (save ends). Saving throws against this effect take a -5 penalty.

Ghost on the Wind
    Attack: Dex vs. Will
    Hit: 6[W] + Dex damage, and you become invisible. You move into any square adjacent to the target and reappear at the start of your next turn. You have the combat advantage against the target until the end of your next turn.
    Miss: Half damage, you can shift 1 square to another square adjacent to the target, and you have combat advantage against the target until the end of your next turn.

Snake's Retreat
    Hit: 6[W] + Dex damage
    Effect: When the target makes a melee attack or ranged attack against you, you can shift 1 square as an immediate interrupt. The target can make a saving throw to end this effect.

Bad Idea, Friend
    Trigger: An adjacent enemy makes a melee attack against you for the first time during this encounter.
    Special: If you are granting combat advantage, you cannot use this power.
    Effect: Gain a +10 power bonus to all defenses against the enemy's attack. If the attack misses, the enemy takes double your Shadow Assassin's Riposte damage.

Hide from the Light
    Effect: You must already be hidden to use this power. You are invisible until the end of the encounter or until you end the effect by moving more than 2 squares in a turn or by making any attack other than a basic attack or an at-will attack.

Foil the Lock
    Effect: On your next action, gain a +10 power bonus when you make a Thievery check to open a lock. If the check scceeds, the lock opens at once.

Raise the Stakes
    Effect: Until the end of your next turn, any of your attacks can score a critical hit on a roll of 17-20, and any attack against you can score a critical hit on a roll of 19-20.

Close Quarters
    Effect: Move into the space of an adjacent creature larger than you and at least Large in size. You gain combat advantage against the creature, and it takes a -4 penalty to attack rolls against you. When the creature moves, you move along with it, staying in the same portion of the creature's space. The creature can make a Str or Dex vs. Reflex attack (as a standard action with no penalty) to slide you into an adjacent square and end this effect.
    Special: Allies of the target creature can attack you without penalty.

Dangerous Theft
    Effect: On your next action, ignore the -10 penalty when you make a Thievery check to pick a pocket during combat.

Dazzling Acrobatics
    Effect: You can shift twice your speed. You can climb at full speed as part of this move. If an enemy attacks you while you shift, you gain a +4 bonus to AC against that attack.

Fey Step
    Effect: Teleport up to 5 squares[/OOC]
    Notes

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Goose! wrote: »
    I fixed it, sheet's public.

And is that the coffin where the idea that 4E is likened to WoW is buried? Or is that the coffin containing 4E because it is like WoW, Mahobin? I'm not saying it is, just asking how you mean that.

The bolded one. See, because mace build rogues... ah whatever. I know the two games are nothing alike.

Not sure about your Scores and Bonuses at 30 though, shouldn't it be:
    Init +9 HP 168/168 Bloodied 84 Healing Surge 42 (0 used/7)
    AC 44 Fort 37 Reflex 43 Will 36 Speed 7*
    Str 22 (+5) Con 13 (+1) Dex 28 (+9) Int 12 (+1) Wis 13 (+1) Cha 18 (+4)
    *This line is figured with +6 Shadowflow Starleather Armour, +6 Cloak of Invisibility, Ring of Protection, and Boots of the Infinite Stride, heh.

Or maybe I'm wrong. Not sure how 28 Dex gives you a +24 modifier though. +9 is pretty kickass anyhow.

Also to get 28 Dex at level 30 you'd need to start with Dex 20 at level 1.

So you'd have to either live with 26 Dex or start at level 1 with:
    Str 13 Con 10 Dex 20 Int 10 Wis 10 Cha 13

To end up at 30 with:
    Str 21 Con 12 Dex 28 Int 12 Wis 12 Cha 15
    (you went Brutal Scoundrel so I loaded all the advances into Str and Dex)

(Warning: I start to go crazy here)

I don't think I realized before exactly how high scores would be at 30. 28 Dex! Big damage!

And you haven't even figured in that you'll probably have a +6 dagger in there...

So,
    Assassin's Point
    Hit: 7[W] + Dex damage
    Miss: Half damage.
    Special: If you have combat advantage against the target, double any extra damage from Sneak Attack or a critical hit.

With a +6 Duelist's Dagger, Brutal Scoundrel, 28 Dex and 21 Str... you do (maths maths maths)
    •27-48 on a hit
    •37-108 on a sneak attack
    •37-128 on a sneak attack with backstabber feat
    •60-120 on a crit
    •70-180 on a crit sneak attack
    •70-200 on a crit sneak attack with backstabber feat

I think that's accurate. I got pretty confused in there though. Anyhow, add in possible feats and such...
    +1 for TWF
    +3 for WF: Dagger (feat bonus)
    +6 for Power Attack
    +2-20 Devastating Critical (1d10x2 since Assassin's Point doubles crit damage still)
    Convert dagger damage die to d6 with Meditation of the Blade, Daggermaster Utility 12 Minor Daily

And options on
    +1 Back to the Wall (when adjacent to wall)
    +2 Blood Thirst (vs bloodied foe)
    +2 Light Blade Precision (vs large foe)

With the end result of max damage being 249 on a maxed out roll on a crit backstabber sneak attack with MotB and PA vs. a large foe who is bloodied and you are standing next to a wall. And Daggermasters crit on a 18-20.

And add in (since you're 30 and still havent used arms or waist slots):
    Bracers of Mighty Striking: +6 damage item bonus
    Belt of Titan Strength Daily Free Action: +10 damage power bonus

And load in scores for min/maxed Brutal Scoundrel Bonus (1 more Str at the expense of 2 Cha)

Total max damage (a 1 in 15,288,238,080 chance in a very specific situation): 266

P.S. Add Guildmaster's Gloves for Thievery skill bonus 34!

EDIT: Several edits turned this into an out of control min/max exercise... I got off topic. My deepest apologies.

I really prefer playing characters with depth instead of number crunched monsters. I swear. It's a new system and it's all so shiny, I just have to fiddle with everything, you know?

But I also ended up noticing the attribute leveling stuff, so there was some added value, maybe. And I have to get this crap out of my system sometime, better here than in some game.

Anyhow, more characters please!

Mahobin on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    In the interest of getting back on track...

Here's Wayward the Dragonborn fighter.

Yah, I know, it's Musashi's backstory mostly.

Mahobin on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Got a +6 short sword actually, Mahobin, its on the sheet. But I don't include it in the stats because the powers aren't just melee or just ranged, you know.

And the mods are actually 1/2 my level plus the modifier, because that's how myth weavers has it set up.

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Goose! wrote: »
    Got a +6 short sword actually, Mahobin, its on the sheet. But I don't include it in the stats because the powers aren't just melee or just ranged, you know.

And the mods are actually 1/2 my level plus the modifier, because that's how myth weavers has it set up.

Oh dur dur durrr. /facepalm

I've pretty much been making 1st level characters so far so I forgot about adding in the 1/2 level.

Since half of one is zero.

Mahobin on
  • Options
    dscrilladscrilla Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I created this guy as i realized that gear for lvl1 warlock is completely optional. His description has really come together in the last few days. He will be playing in the Auld Lang Syne tournament.

Nudar the Mighty

A tall and emaciated Dragonborn with a noticeable stoop. His scales are dark bronze with a rust-like greenish tint at the edges. He has sharp features with extended frills, his eyes are very pale bronze. He has a scorched, half melted gold crown on his head. Otherwise he is unadorned, save for the intricate spiral patterns he has painted on his scales with a phosphorescent blue substance.

When speaking, Nudar changes cadence and volume at random. He will not make eye contact. You get the strong impression that Nudar is a really great guy. You trust him and should take the time to become friends.

Abandoned as an egg, Nudar grew up in total isolation. He was left in a cyclopean temple deep in the underdark. The hatchling was taught to survive by gibbering voices from the far realm. He lived as a hunter gatherer on the aberrant fauna of The Deep. The Elder Things raised him, whispering of the secret true nature of the world. These secrets gave Nudar the power to stay hidden until the stars where right. He now has come to the surface to witness the last days of humanity and their kin. He has had no contact with creatures from our reality until a few weeks ago.

dscrilla on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Here's Black Manticore.

Basically, the idea behind the character was that he was originally a bugbear thug growing up in the back alleys of a large and dangerous city.

Eventually, he's caught by the city guard and imprisoned. But, rather than execute him, the captain of the watch sees some useful traits in the thug, and decides to teach him how to hunt criminals exclusively and work with the guards to help bust up thieves' guilds and the like.

Concealed behind a black leather lion's face mask, he calls himself the "Black Manticore" and is something of a vigilante.

I thought it was a cool idea, anyway.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Bugbear: Criminals are a superstitious and cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts. I must be a creature of the night, black, terrible...

*As if in answer, a huge manticore flies in the open window!

Bugbear: Holy crap!

Batman is always cool.

Caveat: except Val Kilmer and George Clooney Batmans.

Mahobin on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    the funny part is that he doesn't wear the mask to look more fierce and bestial

he uses it to conceal his own visage, because even in a large city a bugbear like him is pretty recognizable

Pony on
  • Options
    RyuujinRyuujin Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So I finally managed to create a 4th edition character, not what I had originally planned on making but one of the more recent WotC articles changed my mind. While I am still tempted to make a dragonborn warlock and a minotaur ranger my first character is now a Githzerai monk.

Yeah the actual monk isn't out yet, and he would probably change somewhat once the rules are out, but for now the conversion document ranger come monk is good enough. Biggest problem I see though is when everyone starts to get magic items, but a DM could probably house rule a ritual to enchant unarmed attacks, or a set of ki straps, or some prayer beads that work as a focus but grant weapons enhancements.

So without further ado here he is:

Zerchai, Githzerai "Monk"
    Init +5 HP /30 Bloodied 15 Healing Surge 7 ( used /9)
    AC 16 Fort 14 Reflex 14 Will 15 Speed 6
    Str 16 (+3) Con 13 (+1) Dex 16 (+3) Int 10 (+0) Wis 16 (+3) Cha 8 (-1)
    Flurry (Twin Strike)
    At Will ✦ Martial, Weapon.
    Standard Action Melee or Ranged weapon
    Requirement: Must be wielding two melee weapons or a ranged weapon.
    Targets: One or two creatures.
    Attack: Strength vs AC (melee; main weapon and off-hand weapon) or Dexterity vs AC (ranged), two attacks.
    Hit: 1[W] per attack.

Hit and Run
    At Will ✦ Martial, Weapon.
    Standar Action Melee Weapon
    Target: One Creature.
    Attack: Strength vs AC
    Hit: 1[W] + Strength modifier damage.
    Effect: If you move in the same turn after this attack, leaving the first square adjacent to the target does not provoke an opportunity attack from the target.

Two-Fanged Strike
    Encounter ✦ Martial, Weapon.
    Standard Action Melee or Ranged weapon.
    Requirement: You must be wielding two melee weapons or a ranged weapon.
    Target: One creature.
    Attack: Strength vs AC (melee; main weapon and off-hand weapon) or Dexterity vs AC (ranged), two attacks.
    Hit: 1[W] + Strength modifier damage (melee) or 1[W] + Dexterity modifier damage (ranged) per attack. If both attacks hit, you deal extra damage equal to your Wisdom modifier.

Jaws of the Wolf
    Daily ✦ Martial, Weapon.
    Standard Action Melee Weapon
    Requirement: You must be wielding two melee weapons.
    Target: One creature.
    Attack: Strength vs AC (main weapon and off-hand weapon), two attacks.
    Hit: 2[W] + Strength modifier damage per attack.
    Miss: Half damage per attack.

Iron Mind Githzerai Racial Power
    Encounter
    Immediate Interrupt Personal
    Trigger: You are hit by an attack.
    Effect: You gain a +2 bonus to all defenses until the end of your next turn.
    Notes

Any comments or suggestions? Does he seem reasonable to allow into a game? If everyone thinks he is ok I may try to get him into one of the games starting up over here. Any suggestions for renamed powers?

Ryuujin on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Are you using all the ranger abilities too, like quarry? And the same skill set?

Mahobin on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Some of the ranger stuff yeah, some is traded out. Here is the monk section of the Conversion Document:
    Monk
    At a glance, the player with a 3E monk might think that he’s out of luck until the 4E monk releases—there’s no unarmored, unarmed melee fighter option anywhere in the Player’s Handbook. However, with your DM’s permission you can create a martial-arts striker who captures much of the monk’s style by following this process:

1. Choose the two-blade ranger build (p104). (Don’t worry, this will make sense in a minute.)

2. Give up your leather and hide armor proficiencies, gaining a +3 bonus to AC when wearing no armor or cloth armor. You’re now only a point behind the normal ranger’s AC.

3. Gain a +2 bonus to Will defense (in addition to the ranger’s normal defense bonuses).

4. Replace Dungeoneering and Nature on your class skill list with Arcana, Diplomacy, Insight, and Religion. Choose five trained skills from your class list.

5. Give up your martial weapon proficiencies. Grant your unarmed strike a +3 proficiency bonus, increase the damage to 1d8, and add the off-hand property. Now you’re wielding two melee weapons that are as good as the martial melee options available to the ranger.

6. Rename Hunter’s Quarry as Monastic Battle Focus, and lose the Prime Shot class feature. (You thought you were getting that +2 bonus to Will for free, didn’t you?)

7. Focus on mobility-oriented powers, particularly those that reward a high Wisdom score (such as evasive strike, yield ground, and weave through the fray). As desired, you can rename those powers with a flavor that befits your monkish heritage (peerless balance of the crane instead of fox’s cunning, for example).

8. Pick up feats to recreate other 3E monk class features—Evasion, Fleet-Footed, Long Jumper—and use multiclass feats (p209) to replicate the supernatural features. For example, the warlock has several teleportation powers reminiscent of abundant step.

This doesn’t faithfully recreate every element of the 3E monk, but it’s definitely a reasonable stopgap if you’re really committed to sticking with the character. Feel free to experiment with additional tweaks, and by all means please share your results on the D&D message boards!

Basically renamed Twin Strike and Hunter's Quarry.

Ryuujin on
  • Options
    Octopus MelodyOctopus Melody Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Here's the first character I've put together:

Amarilly, eladrin rogue with the wizard multiclass feat. She has a bunch of trained skills and I plan on taking Ritual Caster at level 2. She's weak str/con-wise but I just wanted to make a character who was really good at lots of non-combat related things, like rituals and skills. I figure combat-wise she'd mostly do stuff at range, stealthily skirting around the edges of a battle. All of her powers can be used with ranged weapons, except for Positioning Strike which pushes people away.

For story, she's the daughter of an eladrin wizard family who wanted her to be a wizard as well, but she skipped out on her lessons all the time and hung out on the city streets. The basic idea, anyway.

How's she look?

Octopus Melody on
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Ryuujin wrote: »
    Some of the ranger stuff yeah, some is traded out. Here is the monk section of the Conversion Document:
    Monk
    At a glance, the player with a 3E monk might think that he’s out of luck until the 4E monk releases—there’s no unarmored, unarmed melee fighter option anywhere in the Player’s Handbook. However, with your DM’s permission you can create a martial-arts striker who captures much of the monk’s style by following this process:

1. Choose the two-blade ranger build (p104). (Don’t worry, this will make sense in a minute.)

2. Give up your leather and hide armor proficiencies, gaining a +3 bonus to AC when wearing no armor or cloth armor. You’re now only a point behind the normal ranger’s AC.

3. Gain a +2 bonus to Will defense (in addition to the ranger’s normal defense bonuses).

4. Replace Dungeoneering and Nature on your class skill list with Arcana, Diplomacy, Insight, and Religion. Choose five trained skills from your class list.

5. Give up your martial weapon proficiencies. Grant your unarmed strike a +3 proficiency bonus, increase the damage to 1d8, and add the off-hand property. Now you’re wielding two melee weapons that are as good as the martial melee options available to the ranger.

6. Rename Hunter’s Quarry as Monastic Battle Focus, and lose the Prime Shot class feature. (You thought you were getting that +2 bonus to Will for free, didn’t you?)

7. Focus on mobility-oriented powers, particularly those that reward a high Wisdom score (such as evasive strike, yield ground, and weave through the fray). As desired, you can rename those powers with a flavor that befits your monkish heritage (peerless balance of the crane instead of fox’s cunning, for example).

8. Pick up feats to recreate other 3E monk class features—Evasion, Fleet-Footed, Long Jumper—and use multiclass feats (p209) to replicate the supernatural features. For example, the warlock has several teleportation powers reminiscent of abundant step.

This doesn’t faithfully recreate every element of the 3E monk, but it’s definitely a reasonable stopgap if you’re really committed to sticking with the character. Feel free to experiment with additional tweaks, and by all means please share your results on the D&D message boards!

Basically renamed Twin Strike and Hunter's Quarry.

Fairly reasonable, but it might be just a bit on the powerful side. I would remove Arcana and Diplomacy as class skills and reduce fist damage to 1d6, since a ranger would normall use either a Longsword and a
    Shortsword or two shortswords. It might seem a little bit low, but when creating a custom class I find it a better strategy to aim for a slightly lower power level instead of a superior one. It might be possible to allow the monk to eschew further improvemend to "hunters quarry" in order to improve his unarmed strike to 1d8 and then 1d10, or something like it.

A vital addition would also be to allow purchase of monk gloves, normal magical "weapons".

Awesome idea!

Edit: Read the post below, and disregard what I said. Edited because I did not wish to post again and sidetrack the thread further.

Vic on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I'm not the one who came up with it, it is from Wizard's site.

Here it is:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4dnd/20080613a

And most rangers are going to use the biggest weapons they can, since they aren't limited to off hand weapons in their off hand. Which makes me wonder why the monk's unarmed attack has the off hand property, since they wouldn't need it since they have the ranger twf trait.

Ryuujin on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    That's a pretty cool article. I might use it to move some fully fleshed out NPCs I have over to 4E. Thankya!

Mahobin on