As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sony working on "break apart" motion controller

CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Games and Technology
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/sony-working-on-break-apart-motion-ps3-pad
Sony Computer Entertainment is working on a new controller for the PlayStation 3, which features the ability to 'break apart' into two separate units, each of which contains an accelerometer for 'Wiimote-like' motion-sensing functionality, GamesIndustry.biz understands.

It's not clear when the pad will be officially announced, but it is believed that working units have already been supplied to certain developer partners, according to sources.

The potential for new game types to be developed with the additional motion-sensing functionality should open up the PlayStation 3 to the sorts of gaming audiences that the Nintendo has been so successful at gathering with its Wii console.

Sony Computer Entertainment declined to comment on the matter at the time of publishing, although an announcement is expected in due course, with the possibility of an official unveiling at this year's E3 event.
Gameindustry.biz is a decent source so I sort of believe them. If both Microsoft and Sony announce waggle controllers at E3, it will be one of the best E3s ever. I don't see this selling well enough to encourage many companies to make games for it.

Couscous on
«1

Posts

  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Won't work. Wii did it first and people will see it as a ripoff, Nintendo's having a hard enough time convincing developers to incorporate waggle as it is, you just can't shoehorn waggle into an existing control scheme without making it awkward, etc. etc.

    There's strong rumors Microsoft will announce the same thing at E3.

    cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Good luck gettting third parties to use an optional accessory.

    Daedalus on
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »
    Good luck gettting third parties to use an optional accessory.

    Are you kidding? My PlayStation Eye...

    er...


    *cough*


    Who's up for Eye of Judgement, then? Eh?

    Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    GiantRoboGiantRobo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Threepio wrote: »
    Daedalus wrote: »
    Good luck gettting third parties to use an optional accessory.

    Are you kidding? My PlayStation Eye...

    er...


    *cough*


    Who's up for Eye of Judgement, then? Eh?

    The eye sees into your soul, just to tell you that you've only given your money to Sony for nothing.


    NOTHING.

    GiantRobo on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yep, optional accessories are fail. The only way to get games made for this stuff is to take the dive like the Wii did, for better or worse. I think people would be more receptive to this kind of thing if there weren't so many consoles on the market.

    Zek on
  • Options
    spamfilterspamfilter Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Will only work if they first make a fun game.

    The lesson of this gen isn't to build waggle. The WiiFit is selling and not because of waggle.

    It's to make a game and then a controller that enhances the game, not a controller and force games to use it.

    spamfilter on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Won't work. Wii did it first and people will see it as a ripoff, Nintendo's having a hard enough time convincing developers to incorporate waggle as it is, you just can't shoehorn waggle into an existing control scheme without making it awkward, etc. etc.

    There's strong rumors Microsoft will announce the same thing at E3.

    So how is that sixaxis thing working out for you :winky:

    Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    GiantRobo wrote: »
    Threepio wrote: »
    Daedalus wrote: »
    Good luck gettting third parties to use an optional accessory.

    Are you kidding? My PlayStation Eye...

    er...


    *cough*


    Who's up for Eye of Judgement, then? Eh?

    The eye sees into your soul, just to tell you that you've only given your money to Sony for nothing.


    NOTHING.

    Actually, it gives me a great reason to exclaim "One simple does not walk into Mordor!" every time I pass my plasma.

    Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    This is nuts. I would say is might have a chance if they waited until the PS4 so it would be standard, but they have this whole 10 year plan to stick to.

    Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

  • Options
    YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Threepio wrote: »
    GiantRobo wrote: »
    Threepio wrote: »
    Daedalus wrote: »
    Good luck gettting third parties to use an optional accessory.

    Are you kidding? My PlayStation Eye...

    er...


    *cough*


    Who's up for Eye of Judgement, then? Eh?

    The eye sees into your soul, just to tell you that you've only given your money to Sony for nothing.


    NOTHING.

    Actually, it gives me a great reason to exclaim "One simple does not walk into Mordor!" every time I pass my plasma.

    Does that make the PS3 itself the Tower of Black Sorcery then?

    Yoshua on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Zek wrote: »
    Yep, optional accessories are fail. The only way to get games made for this stuff is to take the dive like the Wii did, for better or worse. I think people would be more receptive to this kind of thing if there weren't so many consoles on the market.

    Seriously?

    There are three consoles in the current generation. There were four last gen and like three the gen before that. We are not experiencing a huge surge in consoles.

    Lemmie fix that for you.
    I think people would be more receptive to this kind of thing if motion control wasn't always so tacked on in games not made by Nintendo.

    Much better.

    Frem on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Frem wrote: »
    Zek wrote: »
    Yep, optional accessories are fail. The only way to get games made for this stuff is to take the dive like the Wii did, for better or worse. I think people would be more receptive to this kind of thing if there weren't so many consoles on the market.

    Seriously?

    There are three consoles in the current generation. There were four last gen and like three the gen before that. We are not experiencing a huge surge in consoles.

    Lemmie fix that for you.
    I think people would be more receptive to this kind of thing if motion control wasn't always so tacked on in games not made by Nintendo.

    Much better.

    Three is a lot for most people. Just saying that people would be more likely to spend money on a bunch of extra stuff for one console if there were less hardware competition.

    Zek on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yes, but there aren't nearly the number of exclusives today as there are in the past. In general, most people don't own both an Xbox 360 and a PS3 because there aren't enough console specific games to justify the purpose.

    Frem on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Frem wrote: »
    Yes, but there aren't nearly the number of exclusives today as there are in the past. In general, most people don't own both an Xbox 360 and a PS3 because there aren't enough console specific games to justify the purpose.
    I'm not going to disagree with you, but I was just remembering the days when magazines would have ads saying, "coming to NES, SNES, Genesis, Gameboy and Game Gear!"

    UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    JerikTelorianJerikTelorian Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Frem wrote: »
    Yes, but there aren't nearly the number of exclusives today as there are in the past. In general, most people don't own both an Xbox 360 and a PS3 because there aren't enough console specific games to justify the purpose.
    I'm not going to disagree with you, but I was just remembering the days when magazines would have ads saying, "coming to NES, SNES, Genesis, Gameboy and Game Gear!"

    Yeah, I remember those days. To be honest, Console Specifics are actually important. If anything drove the continuation and survival of the PS3 during it's early months, it was the promise of FF13 and MGS4 down the road. And Halo pretty much saved the OXBox

    JerikTelorian on
    SteamID -- JerikTelorian
    XBL: LiquidSnake2061
    Shade wrote: »
    Anyone notice how some things (mattresses and the copy machines in Highrise) are totally impenetrable? A steel wall, yeah that makes sense, but bullets should obliterate copy machines.

    I don't know about you, but I always buy a bullet proof printer. Its a lot more expensive, but I think the advantages are apparent.
  • Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Frem wrote: »
    Yes, but there aren't nearly the number of exclusives today as there are in the past. In general, most people don't own both an Xbox 360 and a PS3 because there aren't enough console specific games to justify the purpose.
    I'm not going to disagree with you, but I was just remembering the days when magazines would have ads saying, "coming to NES, SNES, Genesis, Gameboy and Game Gear!"

    "Coming to the PS2, PS3, XBox 360, Wii, DS, PSP, and PC."

    But yeah, a tacked on optional peripheral introduced after the console's established itself rarely works out. It works on the Wii because it's a core part of the system. Though the Wiimote is obviously a first attempt at this, and I'd love to see the other companies take the general idea and improve on it in future console generations, anything done now just smacks of, "Well Nintendo's pretty successful with that. ...errr... WE CAN DO IT TOO!"

    Dartboy on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Man rather then having a terrible motion control thing they should make a real Solid Eye you can wear that gives additional information about games and stuff. That would be totally awesome.

    randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    spamfilter wrote: »
    Will only work if they first make a fun game.

    The lesson of this gen isn't to build waggle. The WiiFit is selling and not because of waggle.

    It's to make a game and then a controller that enhances the game, not a controller and force games to use it.

    You know WiiFit's entire premise is that of an accessory, right?

    darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    RheeRhee Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I read the title ad thought they were making a "break apart" controller like a Crash Test Dummy action figure.

    Toss your controller in anger? Then do we have a product for you!

    Anyway, yeah, everyone wants to be Nintendo right now... Even me....

    Rhee on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Rhee wrote: »
    I read the title ad thought they were making a "break apart" controller like a Crash Test Dummy action figure.

    Toss your controller in anger? Then do we have a product for you!

    They did make a nerf controller for the ps2 made out of nerf foam.

    randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    RaughnRaughn Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Rhee wrote: »
    I read the title ad thought they were making a "break apart" controller like a Crash Test Dummy action figure.

    Those might have been the best action figures ever.


    About this controller: If it includes a pointer, I'm excited. I love having the pointer for quick menu navigation, targeting (Zelda: TP), and odd gameplay features (star bits!). Most importantly, it increases accuracy in FPS titles without being as absurdly precise as a mouse.

    I agree that Sony will have a challenge getting the majority of PS3 owners to bite, and will consequently struggle for third-party support. But it is virtually guaranteed that Sony-published titles will utilize it, if only as an optional control method, for at least a couple years.

    Resistance 2 with a pointer reticle option, if you have the equipment? Yes please.

    (Actually...didn't Shane Bettenhausen hint at exactly that a few weeks ago on 1up Yours?)

    Raughn on
  • Options
    spamfilterspamfilter Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    darleysam wrote: »
    spamfilter wrote: »
    Will only work if they first make a fun game.

    The lesson of this gen isn't to build waggle. The WiiFit is selling and not because of waggle.

    It's to make a game and then a controller that enhances the game, not a controller and force games to use it.

    You know WiiFit's entire premise is that of an accessory, right?


    No, its premise is that it's a game that you need the accessory to play. Like Guitar Hero is a game you need the guitar accessory to play.

    Sony needs to make a game requires this controller to get the full experience, and release them both together, otherwise this controller is pointless.

    spamfilter on
  • Options
    tachyontachyon Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So the motion control in Sixaxis basically failed in it's implementation and acceptance, so break the controller in half?

    Whatcouldpossiblygowrong?

    tachyon on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Dartboy wrote: »

    "Coming to the PS2, PS3, XBox 360, Wii, DS, PSP, and [strike]PC.[/strike] N-gage."

    Yes, I'm still bitter

    Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Woahhhh.

    BBcode explosion.

    SirToasty on
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Spoit wrote: »
    Dartboy wrote: »

    "Coming to the PS2, PS3, XBox 360, Wii, DS, PSP, and [strike]PC.[/strike] N-gage."

    Yes, I'm still bitter

    I laughed so hard when I read that thread. SO hard.

    For those in the dark, go read the OP for the Force Unleashed thread.

    On topic, I expect the Sony-mote to be called the TWELVEAXIS and look exactly like two Wii nunchucks, only with handles too short to hold properly and slippery analog sticks located nearly an inch below where you could comfortably use them.

    ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    DIRTYDOZENAXIS

    Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Options are good. If it's never going to be used, you never have to buy it.

    I understand criticism of course. I mean I think it's a bit silly financially.

    But then I think sony and just go oh yeah, they don't think like that.

    Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So say this does have pointer as well as motion technology.

    Won't that cause problems for FPSs in particular? Already it is not so easy to balance a game for both mouse and keyboard and dual analog control.

    Not to speak of multi-player matches. But maybe if the new controller gives players an advantage that could help it's adoption rate.

    lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    RaughnRaughn Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    On topic, I expect the Sony-mote to be called the TWELVEAXIS and look exactly like two Wii nunchucks, only with handles too short to hold properly and slippery analog sticks located nearly an inch below where you could comfortably use them.

    I prefer Sony's stick position. It allows me to hold my thumb sideways, then shift it naturally up and down. Nintendo and Microsoft's sticks require a vertical push/extension to move forward, stretching and exhausting my thumb after a while.

    But maybe my hands are just smaller than yours.

    I wish every system offered several controller models for people with differently sized hands and health conditions. (At the very least, we need more options implemented on the software side. For example, why don't games include options for toggling foward motion on and off to give the thumb a rest while traveling? I have wanted this in every open world and first-person game I have played for years. It could easily be assigned to pressing in the left stick for most games.)

    Maybe Sony and Microsoft offering motion contollers is the beginning of more options becoming standard. We have been thinking in terms of consumer adoption dictating whether the contollers succeed. The platform holders could address this from the other end, by requiring tradional and motion/pointer contoller compability for a game to be licensed. They probably can't change the rules in the middle of this hardware generation, but a new one will be here before we know it.

    Raughn on
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    LOLSony.

    Who is in charge over there that is stupid enough to think that this will work? Apart from pissing off people for a blatant rip-off of Nintendo (and they won't admit that, they never do), no one will develop for it. How do I know that? No one is developing (good) waggle games for the WII, which has sold several times as many consoles as the PS3! As if they'll come out with a game for a very small portion of an already small consumer base, when they won't make it for the most popular console this gen.

    psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Actually if everyone has pointer functionality next generation, Nintendo will probably fall behind. All the FPSs will start using it, and it'll be awesome, and everyone will be going "WHY THE HELL DIDN'T YOU DO THIS ON WII ASSHOLES."

    I mean they probably won't fall behind in the sales sense due to momentum and their expanded market who will snap up anything Nintendo, but waggle will finally start to be used well simply because everyone will have it.

    UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Oh, introducing it NEXT GEN will work. Just not midway through this one.

    psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, mid-generation additions rarely take off, especially something as potentially dicey as waggle.

    At any rate, this sounds like official confirmation that the Threeaxis was a bit of a flop. Hell, Kojima publicly said "meh" regarding it, and that man loves his crazy gimmicks.

    cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    RheeRhee Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Rhee wrote: »
    I read the title ad thought they were making a "break apart" controller like a Crash Test Dummy action figure.

    Toss your controller in anger? Then do we have a product for you!

    They did make a nerf controller for the ps2 made out of nerf foam.

    Unless it comes with a controller launcher, no sale....

    Rhee on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Actually if everyone has pointer functionality next generation, Nintendo will probably fall behind. All the FPSs will start using it, and it'll be awesome, and everyone will be going "WHY THE HELL DIDN'T YOU DO THIS ON WII ASSHOLES."

    This is questionable at best, currently the set up we have now is much better suited to shooters then anything yet shown on the Wii. Pointing at the edge of the screen to turn is just terrible. I guess if 360v2 has twin analogue sticks and an IR sensor then maybe, but it still has to be proven as a concept before we can start crowing about the revolution of anything. Plus it's not like Microsoft need to reinvent their shooters at this point, they pretty much have that market completely cornered.

    Leitner on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Leitner wrote: »
    Actually if everyone has pointer functionality next generation, Nintendo will probably fall behind. All the FPSs will start using it, and it'll be awesome, and everyone will be going "WHY THE HELL DIDN'T YOU DO THIS ON WII ASSHOLES."

    This is questionable at best, currently the set up we have now is much better suited to shooters then anything yet shown on the Wii. Pointing at the edge of the screen to turn is just terrible. I guess if 360v2 has twin analogue sticks and an IR sensor then maybe, but it still has to be proven as a concept before we can start crowing about the revolution of anything. Plus it's not like Microsoft need to reinvent their shooters at this point, they pretty much have that market completely cornered.

    Have we played Metroid Prime 3?

    Pointer worked so wonderfully awesomely there.

    Khavall on
  • Options
    RaughnRaughn Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Khavall wrote: »
    Leitner wrote: »
    Actually if everyone has pointer functionality next generation, Nintendo will probably fall behind. All the FPSs will start using it, and it'll be awesome, and everyone will be going "WHY THE HELL DIDN'T YOU DO THIS ON WII ASSHOLES."

    This is questionable at best, currently the set up we have now is much better suited to shooters then anything yet shown on the Wii. Pointing at the edge of the screen to turn is just terrible. I guess if 360v2 has twin analogue sticks and an IR sensor then maybe, but it still has to be proven as a concept before we can start crowing about the revolution of anything. Plus it's not like Microsoft need to reinvent their shooters at this point, they pretty much have that market completely cornered.

    Have we played Metroid Prime 3?

    Pointer worked so wonderfully awesomely there.

    Indeed it did. The turning started outside of a centralized, invisible box, and it felt very natural.

    Medal of Honor Heroes 2 apparently nailed it as well, though I have not played it.

    EDIT: I just read that MoH review again, and it's not how I remember it. The thing that makes the aiming work is auto-aim? Gah, no thanks. Bad example. But Prime 3 worked! Also, I'm advocating an option here, not a standard.

    Raughn on
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I believe you could turn that off and customize all of the control.

    Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yeah even though MOHH2 had great customization... It was still a Medal of Honor game.

    urahonky on
Sign In or Register to comment.